Magisk General Support / Discussion

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Upgraded app to new version. Could not do a direct install if 22. Complained of read-only file system when try to write boot img. I used the patch and fastboot the patched boot.img and everything is fine.

Ideas on read-only filesystem?
You should report the issue to Github with logs

Btw, you can still try Direct install (to collect logs), even upon you already updated

tom1807

Sep 30, 2007
Taiwan
Tiny bit stuck now.
Magisk said "Update available" -> downloaded, tried to install but got the error message "Package didn't parse correctly" (sth. like that). So now when I want to try again and open "Manager" it says "Upgrade to full Magisk Manager to finish the setup. Download and install?" and nothing happens.
Uninstall Manager? Reinstall Manager 8.07 again and then try?

Cheers
Tom

Edit: Nvm, installed 8.0.7 again and then started the update, all fine

Last edited:

me_droid

Nov 30, 2010
New Public release! (Stable and Beta channels):

Magisk Changelog
v22.0
  • [General] Magisk and Magisk Manager is now merged into the same package!
  • [App] The term “Magisk Manager” is no longer used elsewhere. We refer it as the Magisk app.
  • [App] Support hiding the Magisk app with advanced technique (stub APK loading) on Android 5.0+ (it used to be 9.0+)
  • [App] Disallow re-packaging the Magisk app on devices lower than Android 5.0
  • [App] Detect and warn about multiple invalid states and provide instructions on how to resolve it
  • [MagiskHide] Fix a bug when stopping MagiskHide does not take effect
  • [MagiskBoot] Fix bug when unpacking lz4_lg compressed boot images
  • [MagiskInit] Support Galaxy S21 series
  • [MagiskSU] Fix incorrect APEX paths that caused libsqlite.so fail to load
PW
Same as tom1807 except I didn't install it because instructions indicate you have to unhide magisk first. Plus not sure I want to update anyway. This is on a Pixel 2, stock, rooted. I exited magisk manager but now every time I try to open it, it pops up this message. I never started to install it so not sure why it claims I need to finish the setup. If I select cancel and try to open manager it just pops up again and I can't get into it. Anyone else come across this? Any way around it? Even if I want to update I can't get into it to unhide it.

manager.jpg

Last edited:

chavocarlos

Mar 6, 2011
Guayaquil
I solved my problem flashing stock boot.img again
Reboot in TWRP.
Flashed magisk patched boot img again.
Reboot in TWRP.
Flashing Magisk 21.4 again. (Finised OK)
Reboot in TWRP.
Unisntalling Magisk 21.4 (Finised OK)
Reboot in TWRP.
Flashing Magisk 22 (Finished OK)
Fixed

I have an OnePlus 6.

Hope helps.

John32145

Feb 23, 2021
My j7 prime root is not working anymore with this new update, i updated it, reinstalled it, and the root is not working anymore on the latest update, only on the old magisk, also, theres no settings to config

kamiller42

Jun 16, 2010
I solved my problem flashing stock boot.img again
Reboot in TWRP.
Flashed magisk patched boot img again.
Reboot in TWRP.
Flashing Magisk 21.4 again. (Finised OK)
Reboot in TWRP.
Unisntalling Magisk 21.4 (Finised OK)
Reboot in TWRP.
Flashing Magisk 22 (Finished OK)
Fixed

I have an OnePlus 6.

Hope helps.
I have the issue w/my OnePlus 6T where it keeps booting to TWRP. This is after Magisk said it needed to reboot to make a modification to install.

Is this an issue of a Magisk module incompatibility? Does flashing boot.img erase everything on the phone, apps & data? Is Magisk booting to TWRP because it wants me to install something?

wfred

Mar 15, 2014
Upstate, NY
After installing the update, is it normal for the "Install" buttons to still appear?

View attachment 5230837
Same question. I've installed on 3 times and it still says install. Should it?

Edit: never mind. It does the correct version and doesn't say Update like it did before. Don't know why the Install was confusing me. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: razerphynx

razerphynx

Jan 28, 2017
im also looking for twrp install .zip of v22 magisk
Please read the installation guide: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#custom-recovery

"
  • Rename the .apk file extension to .zip, for example: Magisk-v22.0.apk → Magisk-v22.0.zip. If you have trouble renaming the file extension (like on Windows), use a file manager on Android or the one included in TWRP to rename the file.
  • Flash the zip just like any other ordinary flashable zip.
"

Reactions: thx84

amityg

Jul 16, 2010
Marble Hill, Georgia

Icebullet99

Jan 26, 2020
When posting such statements you have to precisely describe your model, firmware, error you have, etc

E.g., I'm updating Magisk by patching and flashing Magisk for two or three years (not on a single device) and it works.
It also works for many, many others here.
Hence it is not generally true that patching method does not work at all.

Make sure that you choose right img to patch, that you check in or not Recovery option (see Magisk docs) and that you properly flash the patched img
Ah yes, sorry for being vague.
I did not intend to imply that the method generally does not work.
This is actually the first time that I tried that method, since there's a new installation guide and only now that I know it is the recommended one. I have always been flashing the zip in TWRP.
Anyway, I read the wiki carefully and tried not to make a mistake, but to no avail.

rafu997

Oct 23, 2011
Looks like there might be some issue with OnePlust 6t and 22 version. It hard bricked my phone. I did unhide manager first and then tried to flash magisk (direct) and got unsupported image error. After reboot it went straight to fastboot mode and I had to flash whole rom from there. I'm not the only one, I saw someone in 6t forum reported the same. So just a warning

Reactions: Oblias