Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
To boot into System with Magisk root you HAVE to use key combination for Recovery, then, when the device vibrates with a splash screen, release all buttons EVERY TIME you boot device.

Nb. Unless you boot that way, root (if present) was actually installed as Magisk in Boot. 👍 PW
Not so.

I recognize what you say as the way it was described in Magisk/install.md when I was trying to install Magisk. I don't know if Magisk was changed between the time those notes were written and the version I installed, or if there's something special about some devices, but I routinely shut down and reboot and Magisk is active.

I'm sure Magisk is installed in recovery, because I had to struggle to boot almost-but-not-quite to recovery when I first installed. After repeatedly booting to no Magisk, I finally got the timing right and got "Magisk needs to do more setup."

What I have read in posts is that it's using the Reboot option on the Power button menu that boots without Magisk -- after doing that, you need the horrible almost-recovery boot sequence to regain Magisk.

TL;DR On at least some devices, with Magisk installed in recovery, complete shut down followed by power-on reboot will not lose Magisk active.

Reactions: InContext

theraw22

hello,

MOTO e4 won't boot anymore after i did the "direct install" when i got the notification of new release https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v22.0

Right after doing that i got no errors during installation so i clicked reboot from magisk manager after and phone won't turn on anymore its been like this for hours i tried to uninstall magisk via "uninstall.zip" on TWRP but didn't help it still stuck on boot.

How to fix this without losing my data?!
thank you

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Yes, I'm aware you have Magisk in boot ramdisk. I think you did from the beginning of this discussion. But since you said you did direct update with Recovery mode checked, I was curious whether that succeeded

IMO, its just a very obvious and very basic logic:

1) If you (not yourself) patch boot img, then Recovery mode must not be checked, and resulted magisk_patched.img must be flashed to Boot

2) If you patch recovery.img, then Recovery mode must be checked in, and resulted magisk_patched.img must be flashed to Recovery

1a) If you originally installed Magisk by (1) , then always update Magisk again by repeating (1), not (2).
Or if you opt for Direct update, then Recovery mode must not be checked in - like originally when it wasn't checked for (1)

2a) If you originally installed Magisk by (2), then always update Magisk again by repeating (2), not (1).
Or if you opt for Direct update, then Recovery mode must be checked in - like originally when it was checked for (2)

Sorry but any other combination for me is simply out of mind and asking for troubles, like:
- patching boot.img but with Recovery mode checked in
- flashing the patched recovery img but to Boot partition
- originally patching and flashing boot img but later forcing Recoveey mode while taking Direct update
- etc

One can experiment, nice, but please later don't cry why Magisk did not update, why bootloop, how to fix, and so on 🤓

Reactions: J.Michael

Austinredstoner

Feb 3, 2021
hello,

MOTO e4 won't boot anymore after i did the "direct install" when i got the notification of new release https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v22.0

Right after doing that i got no errors during installation so i clicked reboot from magisk manager after and phone won't turn on anymore its been like this for hours i tried to uninstall magisk via "uninstall.zip" on TWRP but didn't help it still stuck on boot.

thank you
I did direct install in magisk for my moto g7 and I didn't even get a bootloop

RootedLee

Sep 1, 2017
The latest magisk 21.2 when I install it xposed moudel is not working (activated in edexposed managet ) riru edxposed yahfa 0.4.6.4 4563 instaled . riru 21.3 as riru 23.1 causes that exposed moudel not working… . so I am back to magisk 20.4 working perfect any fix to instal the latest magisk my device redmi k20 pro premium edition miui 12.0.6 eu
fixed for me on my phone (rig see below) with Magisk v22.1 - thank you @topjohnwu !!!

Reactions: pndwal

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Not so.

I recognize what you say as the way it was described in Magisk/install.md when I was trying to install Magisk. I don't know if Magisk was changed between the time those notes were written and the version I installed, or if there's something special about some devices, but I routinely shut down and reboot and Magisk is active.

I'm sure Magisk is installed in recovery, because I had to struggle to boot almost-but-not-quite to recovery when I first installed. After repeatedly booting to no Magisk, I finally got the timing right and got "Magisk needs to do more setup."

What I have read in posts is that it's using the Reboot option on the Power button menu that boots without Magisk -- after doing that, you need the horrible almost-recovery boot sequence to regain Magisk.

TL;DR On at least some devices, with Magisk installed in recovery, complete shut down followed by power-on reboot will not lose Magisk active.
Thats interesting.

Seems we're discussing SM-T290 Tab-a-8-0-2019

Does does Magisk say ramdisk = no?

Seems to be mixed info. re. ramdisk in boot partition.

User in 'root' thread indicates Magisk can be installed to boot using .zip from TWRP after flashing a vendor fix.
Post in thread 'Root for SM-T290 (tab a 8.0 2019)' https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-for-sm-t290-tab-a-8-0-2019.3965624/post-84814529

Other forums also indicate Magisk works in boot from zip Installation from TWRP.

But TWRP Dev says this device has no ramdisk in boot!
Post in thread '[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.4.0 for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290]' https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...alaxy-tab-a-8-0-sm-t290.4197461/post-84819581

I'm suspecting that it does (/may) in fact work (at least it seems to have bootloader support for boot-ramdisk if added manually), and that having patched or direct installed Magisk at some stage with Recovery mode UNCHECKED, you (likewise) could have TWO instances of Magisk; one in boot-ramdisk and one in recovery-ramdisk. This would be another explanation for your ability to boot BOTH ways with root in system.

I intend to test this on my Xiaomi device some time too... Haven't yet. 😳 PW

Last edited:

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
hello,

thank you
Flash clean (unpatched) boot.img from archive for your ROM, ideally using PC / Fastboot. PW

Last edited:

J.L.C.

May 3, 2010
Anyone else having problems with the April security update?

I'm on a Pixel 4xl and when I patch boot.img with the Magisk app (22102) and flash, my phone won't boot past "system is starting".

I can boot if I re-flash the stock boot.img, but then I don't have root.

Reactions: swieder711

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P

I'm on a Pixel 4xl and when I patch boot.img with the Magisk app (22102) and flash, my phone won't boot past "system is starting".

No problem on my Pixel 4 XL but I'm using the Stable channel so I have 22.1 installed. Did you disable any mods you might have that may need updating?

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
1) Obviously.
2) As specified / already mentioned I would have mentioned it if I had known it before. I thought it was a general problem.
3) Sure, that would be plan B.
Good result (so far)!

Got Regression label, getting attention... 👍

... all while John blissfully studies Rust / Kotlin and plays Toki tori with Apple Music drowning out the cries for help with a 'Smart' washing machine refusing to start because it identifies unlocked bootloader as 'Root' on a ThinQ ... 😛

😆 PW

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dr4go

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
@pndwal Ramdisk = No
Magisk.jpg

Lamantin001

Jul 29, 2015
Hi developers!
Today I wanted to update my magisk from the app from 22.0 to 22.1, but upon updating using direct install, my phone got into bootloop. After (or during) installing it just rebooted, but it always reboots into fastboot. It's a xiaomi pocophone f1 with latest stable miui global stock rom (12.0.3), unlocked bootloader, twrp recovery, with root of course by previous magisk install. I didn't have any modules installed from the app, so that couldn't make the problem, it was during updating the app. I can still access twrp. There, when I first wanted to reboot to system, before trying anything, it said "No os installed". Then I started googling, I tried uninstalling magisk, by downloading first v22.0 apk, renaming it to uninstall.zip, flashing, rebooting, same thing. Then tried again, and tried installing it back again, rebooting, same thing. Then tried uninstalling, flashing clean boot.img, rebooting, same thing. Then tried the same with 22.1 apk uninstaller. I tried all combinations of these solutions, none of them seemed to work. :/ Currently I still have the bootloop to fastboot.
Can you suggest any other solutions without losing all the data?

ineedroot69

• Nov 13, 2019
    Hi developers!
    Today I wanted to update my magisk from the app from 22.0 to 22.1, but upon updating using direct install, my phone got into bootloop. After (or during) installing it just rebooted, but it always reboots into fastboot. It's a xiaomi pocophone f1 with latest stable miui global stock rom (12.0.3), unlocked bootloader, twrp recovery, with root of course by previous magisk install. I didn't have any modules installed from the app, so that couldn't make the problem, it was during updating the app. I can still access twrp. There, when I first wanted to reboot to system, before trying anything, it said "No os installed". Then I started googling, I tried uninstalling magisk, by downloading first v22.0 apk, renaming it to uninstall.zip, flashing, rebooting, same thing. Then tried again, and tried installing it back again, rebooting, same thing. Then tried uninstalling, flashing clean boot.img, rebooting, same thing. Then tried the same with 22.1 apk uninstaller. I tried all combinations of these solutions, none of them seemed to work. :/ Currently I still have the bootloop to fastboot.
    Can you suggest any other solutions without losing all the data?
    flash system.img you got same issue with this guy https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/page-2261#post-84814787

or this https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskUninstall

Reactions: Lamantin001

swieder711

Aug 31, 2011
    Boston

I am having a similar problem with Magisk 22.1 on my Pixel 3 XL with the April update. Phone boots fine with the stock boot.img. After "flashboot flash boot magisk_patched.img" then the phone gets stuck on the "G" screen. If I flash back to stock boot.img again then the phone boots, but no root.

Magisk was working fine on the Jan update.

Any suggestions?

Lamantin001

Jul 29, 2015
    Thanks! System.img flash solved the issue, but of course, magisk was gone, therefore miui overwrote custom recovery with stock, so I had to flash twrp from adb again, then flash magisk again in order to prevent the overwrite. I tried directly flashing v22.1 this time, but it didn't work. When I first started the phone, I clicked on magisk app to finish installation, but there was an error. So I uninstalled v22.1, and installed v22.0, now everything's back to where it was. Now i'll do a backup and never again update from magisk app :D

Top Liked Posts

The problem not fixed. i removed systmless host module but still after 20 - 24 hours pubg stuck and lagged
      but all other thing is ok.
      Seen this?:
      https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/pubg-crashing-fixed-on-rooted-phones.4073331/

Seems pubg now detects root, but doesn't Give any error, just crashes.

So you need to hide root from pubg like any security centric bank app. My method:
      https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-84936057

Nb. Hide / wipe order.

Additionally, seems you also need to hide Magisk App according to 'pubg-crashing...' thread OP.

Nb.2. OP there may be confused about the need for MagiskHide Props Config module. It shouldn't make ANY difference unless props are also 'configured' (added / altered) through its terminal emulator interface, but OP hasn't indicated any changes to make / configuration. (I could be wrong, but try first without it.)

Hope this one helps! 😛 PW
      Hello, thank you for replying. I don't know how to restore earlier images as phone is updated. My phone is working fine, I restored new a.61 boot.img only. But after patching this file by magisk, I ran into boot loop. Then restored original a 61 boot.img and it works fine. It's just that patched boot.img is not working.
      Ah, got it now. Sorry, misunderstood ' original boot image'.

Done some checking into your model and build numbers. Seems you have Realme C3, and Update was to Android 11.

Looks like you have a now known issue:
      https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4313

User @HemanthJabalpuri posted here too:
      https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-84963087

Might just have to watch that one. 😛 PW
      Thank you. I have exactly the same problem as in the first link, the only difference is the phone model.

I assume that if the bug in the second link is fixed, it will also work for the problem in the first link.

Does the "regression" tag mean that the problem will be fixed?

Until recently, I had no plans to update Magisk. However, I need to successfully pass the SafetyNet filter. I have read that the latest version of Magisk allows to succeed with SafetyNet. It is possible that SafetyNet is the reason why other users want to upgrade Magisk after such a long time and have taken the time to report it on GitHub.

Do you think the problem will be fixed, maybe in the next release?
      If your 'problem' is Magisk mngr/apk showing API error for SafetyNet - forget about (don't do SN tests), use 3rd party SN checkers (available on Google Play) or just install the latest Magisk Canary apk (instead of your old Manager) but keep the Magisk that works for you

SN API error is because the SN key has expired. Every app that wants to do SN tests must register a key with Google - and that key has expired in the old Mngr.
      But it has nothing with any other app that will do its own SN test (with its own key)
      Hi. Yes, I have a Huawei Mate 10 8.0.0.

I have tried patching the original ramdisk and the last patched ramdisk (20.4). Nothing worked. Magisk and Magisk Canary patch the ramdisk wrong.

It's strange, because when Magisk/Canary patches the ramdisk wrong, the size of the file obtained is the same as the original ramdisk: 16 MB. However, in the old ramdisk patched correctly, the size was reduced: from 16 MB to 8 MB.

Is it possible that new versions of Magisk are not compatible with my phone? I currently have v20.4. The latest version of Magisk is 22.1. For example, if my phone was only compatible with version 21.0 (at most), how could I patch the ramdisk to version 21?

(Sorry for my bad English).
      There have been previous issues where zero padding causes problems, but I don't see any known ones currently.

However, these two issues may (probably) be affecting you (actually seems to be one issue, first running Android 8 EMUI like you, second running Android 9 LOS16.0):
      https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4297

https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4306

Just been labelled a Regression, and @osmosis appears to be on it. 😛

If the regression is in this commit of 4 May 2020:
      https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/commit/0c99c4d93f638d5cde9a232321af791c54be278b
      as user indicates (and this is your problem), last working Public Stable Magisk for you will, in fact, be 20.4.

It's surprising it's taken this long to be reported!... Guess there may not be many Huawei users testing Canary. 🙄 PW
      Thank you. I have exactly the same problem as in the first link, the only difference is the phone model.

I assume that if the bug in the second link is fixed, it will also work for the problem in the first link.
      I think "I lose root privileges after updating" & "Magisk framework does no longer start up" describe the same problem, so my guess is that fix is the same.
      Does the "regression" tag mean that the problem will be fixed?
      Means a change caused a reversion of working function(s).
      Until recently, I had no plans to update Magisk. However, I need to successfully pass the SafetyNet filter. I have read that the latest version of Magisk allows to succeed with SafetyNet. It is possible that SafetyNet is the reason why other users want to upgrade Magisk after such a long time and have taken the time to report it on GitHub.

Do you think the problem will be fixed,
      Yes.
      maybe in the next release?
      $64 000 question! 😁

Depends on colaborators time, priorities, access to diagnostic data, on John, holidays planned, covid19, the weather...

Best watch those spaces / contribute if you can! 🤠 PW

Latest Public (Stable / Beta)

Release Notes and Changelog:

2021.4.9 Magisk v22.1​

This release is focused on fixing regressions and bugs. Check the v22.0 release notes if coming from older releases.

Note: Magisk v22 is the last major version to support Jellybean and Kitkat. Magisk v23 will only support Android 5.0 and higher.

Bug Fixes​

• [App] Prevent multiple installation sessions running in parallel
      • [App] Prevent OutOfMemory crashes when checking boot signature on PXA boot images
      • [General] Proper cgroup migration implementation
      • [General] Rewrite log writer from scratch, should resolve any crashes and deadlocks
      • [General] Many scripts updates fixing regressions
      • [MagiskHide] Prevent possible deadlock when signal arrives
      • [MagiskHide] Partial match process names if necessary
      • [MagiskBoot] Preserve and patch AVB 2.0 structures/headers in boot images
      • [MagiskBoot] Properly strip out data encryption flags
      • [MagiskBoot] Prevent possible integer overflow
      • [MagiskInit] Fix sepolicy.rule mounting strategy
      • [resetprop] Always delete existing ro. props before updating. This will fix bootloops that could be caused by modifying device fingerprint properties.
      🎉 👍 PW
      Latest Debug (Canary)
      Changelog and Release Notes
      https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk-files/blob/ea57c9b33b3a6ce2e0e65ce4c33dfb1c01552fcb/notes.md :

Magisk (f49966d8) (22103)​

• [App] Update snet extension. This fixes SafetyNet API errors.
      • [App] Fix a bug in the stub app that causes APK installation to fail
      • [General] Fix a C++ bug that causes undefined behavior
      • [MagiskHide] Update package and process name validation logic

Diffs to v22.1​

• [General] Remove all pre Android 5.0 support
      • [MagiskPolicy] Remove unnecessary sepolicy rules
      👍 ...And things are all Rosy 'n Safe in the Custom Mod. world once again... but ironically, only on the bleeding edge... (Confirmed on my RN8T. 🙂 )

News for those not wanting to get cut (Public Stable / Beta users) below. 😜

Thanks John... And other collaborators for additional fixes! PW
      Latest Debug (Canary)
      Changelog and Release Notes
      https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk-files/blob/56d4ca44e12927217ae761df0874e3cd7d05cea4/notes.md :

Magisk (fb8000b5) (22104)​

• [App] Hide annoying errors in logs when hidden as stub
      • [App] Update stub implementation
      • [App] Some internal code refactoring
      • [App] Update snet extension implementation

Diffs to v22.1​

• [App] Hide annoying errors in logs when hidden as stub
      • [General] Remove all pre Android 5.0 support
      • [MagiskPolicy] Remove unnecessary sepolicy rules

May fix sundry issues with Magisk App! 👍 PW
      Update snet.jar extension
      The existing API key was revoked for some reason.
      Release an updated extension jar with a new API key.

In addition, add some offline signature verification and change how
      results are parsed to workaround some dumbass Xposed module "faking"
      success results, since many users really don't know better.

@topjohnwu

topjohnwu committed 19 minutes ago
      Strange how people think they don't need to read the other posts but expect that their questions should be addressed and answered😌
      This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
      All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
      Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
      • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
      • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
      • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
      The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
      As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
      **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
      It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
      Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
      In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
      To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
      After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
      Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
      However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
      I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
      Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
      Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
      @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
      - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
      - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
      - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
      - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
      - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
      - I have not asked for an apology
      - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
      - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
      - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
      - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
      Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
      Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
      Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone