• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

tinbilly

Dec 23, 2017
BlackBerry KEYone
Moto G Power
It is just a guessing game without LOG files.

Your Magisk install could have become borked or something is interfering with Magisk.
One of your other modifications.?
This would include a change in (or made by) the custom rom.
Did you change any setting or update anything in your rom?

Log(s) are the only way to know what is actually happening.
Magisk and MagiskHide Installation and Troubleshooting guide - WebSite - Asking for help/reporting bugs - Link

The more information we have, the more we can help. ;)

Cheers. :cowboy:
I send attached the log file. Hope this is what you need. Many thanks for your help!

Attachments

• magisk_log_2021-05-29T17_31_31Z[1].log
    350.7 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: ipdev

pndwal

I have a problem,

Device : Redmi Note 4
Android version : 7.0 NRD90M

"Magisk has/keeps stopping". Anything related to Magisk, it will appear that error message. Can someone help me? I'm newbie here. Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm sorry, what LOG is? I'm really kinna new about this. Is this log?
This error message keep appear whenever I opened Magisk.
[Not sure logs will help much here. General app problem.]
Edit: Actually, seems "java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate application" may be fixed simply by rebooting if reason for this issue was due to previous app activity wrongly halted.

Generally for App Keeps Stopping error:

Try Force stop the app, Clear app data, Uninstall/reinstall the app, Check app permissions (none denied), Clear cache (phones cached data), Free up storage space. PW

Last edited:
Reactions: J.Michael

pndwal

FWIW, as there is no news of updated Magisk from John Wu, I'm now running Alpha Magisk and Magisk App from dev @vvb2060 (Nangong Xueshan).

Seems his App maintains connection to standard Stable / Beta / Canary channels from topjohnwu, but adds his Alpha (Bleeding edge) channel:
https://github.com/vvb2060/magisk_files/tree/alpha

Click View code, Download / install app-release.apk 👍

Screenshot_2021-05-29-17-24-43-651_com.topjohnwu.magisk.jpg

No problems running this Alpha so far. 👍

- Nb. Unhide Magisk App if changing to this. Conflict with hidden Apps are still occurring.

Alpha adds new / experimental commits. Some of these already have pull requests in John's Magisk GitHub.

Nb. John Wu recently changed his description of debug Canary builds from 'Bleeding Edge' to 'Cutting Edge'...

WARNING

If you move to Nangong Xueshan's Alpha, my advice is to consider yourself on the Bleeding Edge again... and to understand what this means!

Changelog for Alpha, next post. PW

Last edited:

pndwal

Latest @vvb2060 Alpha build (May 16, 2021).​

Changelog and Release Notes:​

Chinese text Translated:

# alpha update log

## Magic (1eb83ad8-alpha)

-Based on 1eb83ad8, please refer to the upstream update log for related modifications
-Properly process any data from magiskd
-Support SharedUserId
-Delete the backup file after restoring the boot image
-Built-in current version update log
-Use the local version when the stub cannot be downloaded, now Magisk can be used completely offline
-Support bootimg v4 format
-Support bootconfig
-Detect /data/adb/magisk/ not updated and prompt to fix

### How to use APK files in Recovery?

Generally, it is recommended to install and uninstall Magisk through the Magisk application.
If you insist on using custom Recovery, change the `.apk` extension of the Magisk APK file to `.zip` to flash in.
To uninstall Magisk, the zip file name needs to include `uninstall`, for example, rename the apk file to `uninstall.zip`. If the file name does not contain `uninstall`, the installation operation will be performed.

# Upstream update log

## 2021.5.12 Magic v23.0

This release is focused on fixing regressions and bugs.

Note: Magisk v22 is the last major version to support Jellybean and Kitkat. Magisk v23 only supports Android 5.0 and higher.

### Bug Fixes

- [App] Update snet extension. This fixes SafetyNet API errors.
- [App] Fix a bug in the stub app that causes APK installation to fail
- [App] Hide annoying errors in logs when hidden as stub
- [App] Fix issues when patching ODIN tar files when the app is hidden
- [General] Remove all pre Android 5.0 support
- [General] Update BusyBox to use proper libc
- [General] Fix C++ undefined behaviors
- [General] Several `sepolicy.rule` copy/installation fixes
- [MagiskPolicy] Remove unnecessary sepolicy rules
- [MagiskHide] Update package and process name validation logic
- [MagiskHide] Some changes that prevents zygote deadlock

### Full Changelog: [here](https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/changes.html)

See notes:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85098469

😬 PW

Last edited:

scandiun

Jul 12, 2010
How do I root LineageOS-18.1? I have already custom recovery and installed LineageOS 18.1 + MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm. It must be rooted using the app Magisk-v23.0.apk or must I root it from TWRP Recovery using Magisk-v20.4.zip?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
@pndwal Any idea why deleting the backup file is a good thing? Isn't the backup file the unpatched boot image?
You may have several of them (/data/magisk_backup_*) and you don't need the old ones.
Hence you can clean some space - but IMO, it shouldn't be a lot, they are gzipped hence even if you have the full size image (filled with zero bytes to the top), they shouldn't occupy that much space (for me backup files are cca 17 MB, but my boot.img is 20 MB, not the full size 128 MB)

centodue

Mar 6, 2008
Hello to all.
I have a head unit with T3P1 processor and I used a boot_patched.zip file prepared just for my device (android 8.1.0) and it results correctly rooted with root checker, but every time that I open Magisk I have the next warning message:
" Abnormal status found. It is found a "su" command not belong to Magisk. Remove it to avoid malfunctions. "
I don't know how to find and remove it.
Control Safety Net is failed and checking in Play store settings the device is not certified.

Are all the things correlated ?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Hello to all.
I have a head unit with T3P1 processor and I used a boot_patched.zip file prepared just for my device (android 8.1.0) and it results correctly rooted with root checker, but every time that I open Magisk I have the next warning message:
" Abnormal status found. It is found a "su" command not belong to Magisk. Remove it to avoid malfunctions. "
I don't know how to find and remove it.
Control Safety Net is failed and checking in Play store settings the device is not certified.

Are all the things correlated ?
regarding finding a superfluous su, one idea is to try the command which su; from various locations in a shell.

pndwal

@pndwal Any idea why deleting the backup file is a good thing? Isn't the backup file the unpatched boot image?
There is little documentation on @vvb2060's methods, and what is found often needs translating from Chinese, so I'm guessing:

On my system NO backup was preserved from 29 May Installation (direct Install) of Magisk 1eb83ad8-alpha, but previous backups remain.

Screenshot_2021-05-30-10-44-45-217_com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander.jpg

The remaining ones contain only boot.img.gz file.

It does seem to me that the backup image is generally superfluous as users generally have unpatched boot image for initial setup patching extracted from ROM (or from TWRP nandroid backup), and likely flash this from PC in event of issues in any case.

Also, while I don't think non-root apps are able to see file/folder structure in /data
https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/app-specific
I do wonder if this commit may somehow be related to @vvb2060's efforts to fix MagiskHide issues / methods of detecting Magisk. He seems to have done much work on this, even producing Magisk 'Lite' builds to effectively hide isolated processes.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85082149

Of course, if magisk_backup_xxx folders from previous Installations are removed, no folders with 'magisk' identifyer remain.

I'm not across different access permissions for folders in /data, but understand John chose /data/adb as location for Magisk related files for its inaccessibility. Ref:
MagiskHide Improvements - Continuation

In the last release, I added the feature to repackage Magisk Manager, and also move the mount point to a volatile location so it can be hidden by MagiskHide. As a continuation in this release, all Magisk related files are moved to /data/adb, a folder that already existed which has access permission (700). By doing so, any non-root process can never know the existence of any possible Magisk file on the device. In theory this should eliminate ANY naive way to detect Magisk (at least not involving hardware based cryptography) from a target process, but I know several apps that still can detect Magisk. Those might have used some other approaches to detect root...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-the-magic-mask-for-android.3473445/post-74923643

From that, I deduce that it may well be possible for non-root processes to detect newly created folders somehow.

I'm not sure why backup folder is not simply created in /data/adb also, but I'm sure it's been considered. PW

Last edited:

tinbilly

Dec 23, 2017
BlackBerry KEYone
Moto G Power
Magisk: canary build version f822ca5b
Device: moto G8 Power XT2041-1
ROM: crDroid 7.4

"Permissions: No permissions requested" is greyed out. Thus I cannot install module using "Install from storage".

Much appreciated any advise.
[SOLVED] I turned OFF System > Developer options > Don't keep activities. Now I am able to install zip modules using "Install from storage".

Last edited:

F308

Feb 25, 2013
EU
This is general magisk support then I am asking about such thing:
What should I think and what meaning have lines from Magisk log like the below?
"* Device API level: 30
** post-fs-data mode running
unlock mmcblk0p42 failed with 13: permission denied"

There are more similar lines about failing unlock concerning devices:
mmcblk0p28
mmcblk0p15
mmcblk0p43
mmcblk0boot0
and more yet.

Generally everything works, SafetyNet passes, root access works.
I just wonder because there may exist hidden risk behind this information, I simply don't like messages like those.

Details about system:
Galaxy A41.
Android 11 (but on 10 there was the same message, too).
Magisk 23.0 (23000) (21).
Ramdisk - YES.
SAR - YES.

I may attach the whole log of course, if needed.

Last edited:

pndwal

For anyone interested:​

Nb. It seems this will likely be of interest only to those wanting basic superuser privileges, and a way to hide root from bank apps that detect isolated processes, at least at this stage:

Latest @vvb2060 Lite build (May 15, 2021).​

Changelog:​

Chinese text Translated:

Magisk Lite

In Magisk in the whitelist mode, all applications are hidden by default, and only the applications ticked in Hide can obtain super user permissions.
adb shell automatically has super user privileges. Module function is not available.

`magiskhide add UID package name` to add a super user application
`magiskhide rm UID package name` remove super user application
`magiskhide ls` lists super user applications

Magisk (7717f0a6-lite)​

• Based on 7717f0a6, please refer to the upstream update log for related modifications
  • Properly process any data from magiskd
  • Support SharedUserId
  • Delete the backup file after restoring the boot image
  • Built-in current version update log
  • Use the local version when the stub cannot be downloaded, now Magisk can be used completely offline
  • Support bootimg v4 format
https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/b...app/src/main/res/raw/changelog.md#magisk-lite

Notes:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85082149

👍 PW

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016

For anyone interested:​

Latest @vvb2060 Lite build (May 15, 2021).​

Changelog:​

Chinese text Translated:

Magisk Lite

In Magisk in the whitelist mode, all applications are hidden by default, and only the applications ticked in Hide can obtain super user permissions.
adb shell automatically has super user privileges. Module function is not available.

`magiskhide add UID package name` to add a super user application
`magiskhide rm UID package name` remove super user application
`magiskhide ls` lists super user applications

Magic (7717f0a6-lite)​

• Based on 7717f0a6, please refer to the upstream update log for related modifications
  • Properly process any data from magiskd
  • Support SharedUserId
  • Delete the backup file after restoring the boot image
  • Built-in current version update log
  • Use the local version when the stub cannot be downloaded, now Magisk can be used completely offline
  • Support bootimg v4 format
Did you try maybe?

Sad, if modules not supported, I hope not by design but for this first release.
Not supported only installation of new modules or even the modules pre-installed by the 'regular' Magisk will not work?

Hence Magisk hide works kind of opposite to the 'regular' Magisk? All apps by default enabled for, and for root one must be manually disabled from Magisk hide?

Last edited:

pndwal

Did you try maybe?

Sad, if modules not supported, I hope not by design but for this first release.
Not supported only installation of new modules or even the modules pre-installed by the 'regular' Magisk will not work?

Hence Magisk hide works kind of opposite to the 'regular' Magisk? All apps by default enabled for, and for root one must be manually disabled from Magisk hide?
- No.

- That's why I haven't / aren't personally interested in doing so.

I am interested, as mentioned, in trialing Alpha builds, which seem at this stage to be the natural progression from Canary, ie complete functionality with experimental changes / fixes, that so far has worked fine for me.

- Seems it's something like that. I've added link to my previous notes re. Lite build in Changelog post above (you were too quick for me!).

Seems this will likely be of interest only to those wanting basic superuser privileges, and a way to hide root from bank apps that detect isolated processes, at least at this stage.

I have no idea if Lite build's anti-detection abilities can be incorporated into regular Magisk, if they are experimental only, can be made to work with module framework, etc, etc. That will be for maverick / intrepid users to ascertain. 😜 PW

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
- No.

- That's why I haven't / aren't personally interested in doing so.

I am interested, as mentioned, in trialing Alpha builds, which seem at this stage to be the natural progression from Canary, ie complete functionality with experimental changes / fixes, that so far has worked fine for me.

- Seems it's something like that. I've added link to my previous notes re. Lite build in Changelog post above (you were too quick for me!).

Seems this will likely be of interest only to those wanting basic superuser privileges, and a way to hide root from bank apps that detect isolated processes, at least at this stage.

I have no idea if Lite build's anti-deflection abilities can be incorporated into regular Magisk, if they are experimental only, can be made to work with module framework, etc, etc. That will be for maverick / intrepid users to ascertain. 😜 PW
Seems to be the Lite alpha release, though

Btw, I'm kind of lost there, cannot find the corresponding apk to download and to try (and I'm not going to fork and build myself).
But no rush yet, original Magisk v2300+ is still great for me

pndwal

Latest @vvb2060 Alpha build (May 30, 2021).​

Changelog only:​

Chinese text Translated:

# alpha update log

## Magisk (1eb83ad8-alpha)
- Based 1eb83ad8, modify the reference correlation upstream update log
- proper handling of any data from magiskd
- Support SharedUserId
- delete the backup files to restore boot image
- Built-in current version update log
- use the local version when you can not download stub, can be completely offline now Magisk
- Support bootimg v4 format
- Support bootconfig
- Detection / data / adb / magisk / not update the situation and prompt repair

https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/b...66fb47d77df/app/src/main/res/raw/changelog.md

My notes:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85098469

Edit:
I've just updated to this from previous Alpha release with no apparent issues.

Interestingly, I got no Update button notice in Magisk App for this as Version has not changed from "1eb83ad8-alpha".

I'm not sure if this is intended, but can confirm that app-release.apk is different (10,353,541 bytes) from previous APK (10,353,384 bytes).

Previous update was a Version change from "7717f0a6-alpha", and all 3 are updated builds based on (John's) VersionCode 23001.

😬 PW

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Btw, I've slso played with. There is one MIUI app that was not possible to enable for MagiskHide in Magisk v23 official - it was not showing in GUI.
    It was only possible through the Terminal, by using magiskhide command line

Ofc, magiskhide applet is no more available (and there is no command-line applet for DenyList), but by enabling OS apps in Filter I was able to see and check-in that Security center app for DenyList

And I tested with MagiskDetector, having the same results as with previous Alpha versions (no better or worse)
    And yeah, it says that "Maisk Hide works properly" 🤩
    Not an applet but, you can still do it by command line. :sneaky:
    Code:
    magisk --denylist add com.google.android.gms com.google.android.gms
    magisk --denylist add com.google.android.gms com.google.android.gms.unstable

Magisk - Multi-purpose Utility
    Code:
    Usage: magisk [applet [arguments]...]
       or: magisk [options]...

Options:
       -c                        print current binary version
       -v                        print running daemon version
       -V                        print running daemon version code
       --list                    list all available applets
       --remove-modules          remove all modules and reboot
       --install-module ZIP      install a module zip file

Advanced Options (Internal APIs):
       --daemon                  manually start magisk daemon
       --stop                    remove all magisk changes and stop daemon
       --[init trigger]          start service for init trigger
                                 Supported init triggers:
                                 post-fs-data, service, boot-complete
       --unlock-blocks           set BLKROSET flag to OFF for all block devices
       --restorecon              restore selinux context on Magisk files
       --clone-attr SRC DEST     clone permission, owner, and selinux context
       --clone SRC DEST          clone SRC to DEST
       --sqlite SQL              exec SQL commands to Magisk database
       --path                    print Magisk tmpfs mount path
       --denylist ARGS           denylist config CLI

Available applets:
        su, resetprop

DenyList Config CLI
    Code:
    Usage: magisk --denylist [action [arguments...] ]
    Actions:
       status          Return the enforcement status
       enable          Enable denylist enforcement
       disable         Disable denylist enforcement
       add PKG [PROC]  Add a new target to the denylist
       rm PKG [PROC]   Remove target(s) from the denylist
       ls              Print the current denylist
       exec CMDs...    Execute commands in isolated mount
                       namespace and do all unmounts

Cheers. :cowboy:
    TJW Commits since Alpha:

Commits on Sep 16, 2021
    - Update denylist config implementation
    Commits on Sep 15, 2021
    - Support enable/disable Zygisk
    - Enable Zygisk

Enough said? 😛 PW
    I finally updated my Xiaomi Mi 9T, running Xiaomi.eu_Stable, A11 (MIUI 12.1) to the latest Alpha b6298f86.
    Thanks @pndwal for encouraging me

With this ROM and with the old Magisk v23 (incl. the previous Alpha versions) I didn't need any modules, spoofing or so - it was simply passing SafetyNet with MagiskHide enabled (and my SN was not affected by the recent Google move on Sep 2 or so)

Now, cat has changed the color (Deng) but it still catches the mice - with DenyList enforced and the usual two GMS processes enlisted, it happily passes the SN again
    "CRACK"

We have a problem Nigel!

Same same:

- Everything 'keeps stopping'
    - Standard clock widget broken
    - Magisk needs further setup / fails
    - No root apps open incl. Viper
    - Other apps fail too
    - Screenshot broken
    etc.

But wadaya spect? First iteration of Zygisk on bleeding edge Alpha w/ untold TJW added-then-reverted commits...

I'm reverting too for now...

Still, it was worth a crack Nigel! ... just part of life!

Nigel?...

...You don't like talking to me do you?

I'm not getting you down at all am I?... I wouldn't like to think that I was getting you down...

... Life... Don't talk to me about life....

It's the people you meet in this job that really get you down... The best conversation I had was over forty million years ago ... And that was with a coffee machine... Sigh.

☹️ Marvin.

Edit: Revert to previous Alpha went fine for me.. Had to clear Play Store / Play Services for Device certification... Viper driver still enabled / normal...

Coulda been a Zygisk conflict w/ Riru?...

I'm lonely... where's that coffee machine...
    Even i got in on the act and updated to latest Alpha, decided not to be lazy. Enable System Apps, a few ticks for that, a list of Samsung gear...my bank.

Look Marvin, I can haz Magisk Deny and SafetyNet:)

View attachment 5411513

Now reinstalling modules...
    Btw, I've slso played with. There is one MIUI app that was not possible to enable for MagiskHide in Magisk v23 official - it was not showing in GUI.
    It was only possible through the Terminal, by using magiskhide command line

Ofc, magiskhide applet is no more available (and there is no command-line applet for DenyList), but by enabling OS apps in Filter I was able to see and check-in that Security center app for DenyList

And I tested with MagiskDetector, having the same results as with previous Alpha versions (no better or worse)
    And yeah, it says that "Maisk Hide works properly" 🤩
    OK. AIO solution. Modded "Universal SafetyNet Fix" module. Just added "model" props.
    So, new layer of HARDWARE detection is here.
    SafetyNet failed on devices, where must bee HARDWARE detection. GMS no longer check system response of evaluation type, and force check HW. USNF doesn't work in this cause.
    Hm, funny things happening. I was thinking this is upgrade of HW attestation, but it is DOWNGRADE actually. 😄

Remember my old first simple digging into HW?
    It`s..... working again.

Looks like a temporary solution or just "combo" of old and new methods from Google.
    This explains the fact that dirty hack with Xposed-s working now.

So, this current environment may be temporary or preparation for something BIGGER.

In conclusion: in this time to passing SafetyNet you need just my old "hardware_off" module from link above or "MagiskHidePropsConf" with any "BASIC" print with model simulation and kdrag0n-s "Universal SafetyNet Fix".

No ***-posed-s need!
    Few Headsups:

1) There are reports that Danny's (@kdrag0n) new early release Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.0.0 (combines AOSP Keystore and shim Keystore solutions) is restoring ctsProfile for some. It just may work for all, but not enough reports as yet. Also, it requires a payment at this stage:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/post-85581909

https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/pull/13#issuecomment-904209677

2) There are reports that simply using MagiskHide Props Config module to 'delete' ro.product.model prop fixes ctsProfile on custom ROMs where other methods have failed. Eg:
    https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/78#issuecomment-912885628

3) New MagiskHide Props Config module 6.0.0 just released with all the sensitive prop values that MagiskHide changed up to and including Magisk v23 set by default, "Force BASIC key attestation" re-enabled (for Googles latest changes), and various other fixes.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...p-edits-and-more-v6-0-0.3789228/post-85581939

I have to agree that this module's name does suddenly seem very apt, and as always, it proves elegant in its versatility. 😛👍

4) Another elegant solution that some may have relegated to a bygone era seems to be coming back in fashion to!

Those with Google Pay problems persisting after fixing ctsProfile are reporting in GPay threads, here and elsewhere, that GPay-SQLite-Fix + SQLite binary modules from stylemessiah (a connoisseur at least in digital fashion ... or perhaps just lucky, our @73sydney, - original solution from @BostonDan ) is fixing these for them once again. 😜 Eg:
    https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/78#issuecomment-912798412

WOT 😉 to read if interested:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...s-of-gms-17-1-22-on-pie.3929950/post-79643248

🤠 PW
    ro.product.model was enough for my OP8T, but I didn't like how Google Play Services started referring to my device as "OnePlus BASIC" with the "hardware off" module, so I knocked together this module really quickly to just append _SN to the real model name. WFM. 🤘
    Hi all. :)

A bit OT but..

Since there are a few mentioning SuperSU recently.

SuperSU was only a root solution. Nothing about it was hiding.
    Chainfire did create a separate app suhide (later suhide-lite) for hiding the su binary.​

So by removing hide from Magisk, it will actually be more similar to SuperSU.
    Save for the awesome overlay implementation that allows the easy use of Modules.
    +1,000 points to Magisk. ;)

Chainfire sold SuperSU to CCMT in good faith that they would continue the work..
    As far as I know, CCMT only released one update on their own.
    It was broken so Chainfire stepped in (took two days for him to fix) and a new release was pushed to PlayStore.
    I forgot they put their apology in the SuperSU OP.​

After that, CCMT and support for SuperSU started to disappear.​

Magisk is still fully suported.

Quick highlight of Magisk's growth and development..
    • Magisk was originally just a Magic Mask.
      The systemless overlay that allowed us to modify systemlessly.
      Since it requires root, you had to install a root solution.
      SuperSU or superuser
    • Magisk includes a root solution.
      This starts off basic and grows into what is now the magisk su binary.​
    • Magisk can now hide itself.
      This grows into what is/was MagiskHide.​
    • The next step of growth and development. :unsure:
      Every step along the way has lead to an improvement.
      As someone who used Magisk with SuperSU.
      I am a bit anxious but, more excited to find out. :D

Note:
    This was a quick highlight.
    I skiped A LOT.
    For a while, the official MagiskManager app was installed from PlayStore.
    I do not remember.. Did we pay for it?

Cheers all. :cowboy:
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p