• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

mixlex

Jul 16, 2011
Jeffersonville, in
I did the second, so I must be doing something else wrong
I always do the first one first just to see if everything is okay with the patched boot image. It will boot up and you can check in magisk manager to see if rooted. Only lasts until next reboot. If everything okay go ahead and fastboot flash boot patched boot image.

pndwal

I'm running LOS 17.1 on a Moto E 2015 (surnia) and have installed Magisk Manager 23.0. I have extracted boot.img from the LOS install zip file and patched this with MM. I the copied the patched boot.img via adb to my laptop and flashed with fastboot. I got no errors, but Magisk insn't installed. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
If you had Manager / App before current 23.0, you likely didn't un-hide (restore) it before updating App, and now have old app conflicting; best to locate in device settings, Manage apps.

Unless you have other issues, simply locating and removing hidden Manager (whatever you named it, 'Settings' etc) as well as new App, then reinstalling new app should fix issues.

Otherwise, you may have this / similar issue:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4319 PW

FredMontteiro

Dec 18, 2015
Hi guys, I'm using Translator because my English is average.

On the Magisk splash screen, under PACKAGE is described: com.topjohnwu.magisk.

But when you first tap "Check SafetyNet" a question arises asking if I allow download an extension.

After allowing, the description in Package changed, now it's not com.topjohnwu.magisk.

Is this normal, is it safe?

Last edited:

pndwal

Hi guys, I'm using Translator because my English is average.

On the Magisk splash screen, under PACKAGE is described: com.topjohnwu.magisk.

But when you first tap "Check SafetyNet" a question arises asking if I allow download an extension.

After allowing, the description in Package changed, now it's not com.topjohnwu.magisk.

Is this normal, is it safe?
Well I don't think checking SafetyNet or downloading SN API changed it; that's just the proprietary (read not licenced for distribution with FOSS open source code) Google API you download seperately as your phone itself (not Magisk) is licensed for this w/ Google certification...

But did you also select Hide the Magisk app in settings? After that, package name is randomised. 😉 👍 PW

Last edited:

oldfone

Nov 12, 2020
Moto E 2015
Moto G5
If you had Manager / App before current 23.0, you likely didn't un-hide (restore) it before updating App, and now have old app conflicting; best to locate in device settings, Manage apps.

Unless you have other issues, simply locating and removing hidden Manager (whatever you named it, 'Settings' etc) as well as new App, then reinstalling new app should fix issues.

Otherwise, you may have this / similar issue:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4319 PW
Good catch - I did indeed have another, hidden version of the app. Uninstalling both and then reinstalling did the trick. I had lost root after the last LOS update and then just stupidly thought I need to reinstall the app. Thanks for the rapid help!

Reactions: pndwal

Mistercraft38

Nov 20, 2016
Grenoble
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hey, I Wanted to know if there is a way to get the Magisk tools (I'm mainly searching for magiskboot) on desktop. And also if there is precompiled binaries available somewhere

EDIT: I found out. If anyone else end in the same situation as me, just follow the steps for building Magisk on github. Once NDK configured, just type `./build.py binary magiskboot` and you'll find x86 and x86_64 executable in native/out folder

Last edited:
Reactions: J.Michael

FredMontteiro

Dec 18, 2015
Well I don't think checking SafetyNet or downloading SN API changed it; that's just the proprietary (read not licenced for distribution with FOSS open source code) Google API you download seperately as your phone itself (not Magisk) is licensed for this w/ Google certification...

But did you also select Hide the Magisk app in settings? After that, package name is randomised. 😉 👍 PW

Oh yes! I hid the magisk. The app has been renamed. That's it. Thank you very much! In this case I believe I have no security problem.

Reactions: pndwal

AidanWoolley

Jan 23, 2017
I'm attempting to install magisk on a oneplus 5T with lineageOS 18.1 and openGApps pico. I think I've followed the instructions correctly: I installed lineageOS and openGApps and everything was working, and then I extracted the boot.img from the lineageOS zip, patched it and flashed it. This broke the installed GApps (none of the could find google play services) and I had to reinstall lineageOS and the GApps. Is this is a known issue? Did I follow the instructions wrong? Help much appreciated.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
I'm attempting to install magisk on a oneplus 5T with lineageOS 18.1 and openGApps pico. I think I've followed the instructions correctly: I installed lineageOS and openGApps and everything was working, and then I extracted the boot.img from the lineageOS zip, patched it and flashed it. This broke the installed GApps (none of the could find google play services) and I had to reinstall lineageOS and the GApps. Is this is a known issue? Did I follow the instructions wrong? Help much appreciated.
If the GApps install to Boot, then they were no more in your boot.img you extracted from the OS zip

If you had TWRP, you could have backed-up your Boot partition (with the GApps already installed) and then patch that boot.emmc.win (TWRP back-up) instead of the extracted boot.img (with no GApps)

pndwal

If the GApps install to Boot, then they were no more in your boot.img you extracted from the OS zip

If you had TWRP, you could have backed-up your Boot partition (with the GApps already installed) and then patch that boot.emmc.win (TWRP back-up) instead of the extracted boot.img (with no GApps)
🤔 I'm confused here; does GApps ever install to boot partition? ... Or do you mean Play Services (only) can install there? ...

My understanding is that GApps is (always?) in /system w/ parts in /data !? 🙃 PW

Reactions: J.Michael and ipdev

pndwal

I'd say it's unusual.

Assuming you are 100% sure you patched / flashed boot image from exact LOS build you are currently using (which failure often affects/breaks network/data access, incl. Play services access) ie. you didn't muddle image files on PC etc, I have the following questions:

Did you notice issue with initial Magisk installation w/ MagiskHide disabled? (could give clues 😉)

Also, just in case, you didn't manually add any Google App processes to MagiskHide list (especially in Google Play services) did you?

Did you have data/internet access?

Did you try clearing data for Google Play services?

But seems all went well after you reinstalled. Do you now have Magisk / root?

If so, what did you do differently? (Changed flash order? Clean install? No reboots between flashes? Other?) PW

Last edited:
Reactions: J.Michael and ipdev

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Could have just been a bad install/update.
The core of GApps needs to be compatible versions.
If one is out of sync with the other(s) you will have issues.

What version (and dates) of GApps and Lineage are you using?
My dumpling is running l18 (personal build), OpenGApps (personal build, need to check the date) and Magisk (canary).​

Backup what you want to save and store it off device.
Copy it to your computer, cloud storage, USB, ...

Try again with a complete clean flash.

Instead of flashing the magisk patched image, test by just booting it.
fastboot boot magisk_patched-VersionNumber_SomeThing.img

If Magisk is active, you can use the Direct Install option in Magisk.
or reboot back into bootloader and flash the patched boot image.

Cheers. :cowboy:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
🤔 I'm confused here; does GApps ever install to boot partition? ... Or do you mean Play Services (only) can install there? ...

My understanding is that GApps is (always?) in /system w/ parts in /data !? 🙃 PW
No GApps package that I know of modifies the boot image.
At least not currently (SDK30). ;)

A GApps install places the necessary files into the read-only partitions.
system, system/app, system/etc, priv-app, .....

User configuration and GApps updates are in /data

Not a great example but, I made a Magisk Module a while back (for testing).
I was testing something for MagiskHidePropsConfig at the time.
Could not remount the AOSP GSI as Read-Write in TWRP so..
Magisk overlay to the rescue. ;)
Hope it helps explain what a GApps install normally does.
mModule_sGapps - GitHub - Link

Reactions: duttyend and pndwal

pndwal

No GApps package that I know of modifies the boot image.
At least not currently (SDK30). ;)

A GApps install places the necessary files into the read-only partitions.
system, system/app, system/etc, priv-app, .....

User configuration and GApps updates are in /data

Not a great example but, I made a Magisk Module a while back (for testing).
I was testing something for MagiskHidePropsConfig at the time.
Could not remount the AOSP GSI as Read-Write in TWRP so..
Magisk overlay to the rescue. ;)
Hope it helps explain what a GApps install normally does.
mModule_sGapps - GitHub - Link

Yes, thanks, for making it clear.

Further, I am aware that a number of systemless GApps packages exist. I didn't mention these as they were not applicable to the member's issue.

Users should be aware that there may be unexpected issues using such a systemless GApps package however.

For example Magisk Hide means Magisk unmounts modules to hide them, so, if I understand it correctly, when, say, Google Play services is called (opened), the GApps module itself will simultaneously be unmounted and the 'app' crashes. PW

Last edited:
Reactions: ipdev

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016

I don't know how it goes when manually installing GApps. But according to his description, he lost his previously installed GApps when he returned to the original boot.img (patched by Magisk). And then he was again able to install GApps

He could test something else. Install GApps and then flash his extracted boot img (not patched by Magisk), to make sure it was really not about Magisk but about replacing boot.img upon the installation of GApps

Reactions: J.Michael

Top Liked Posts

Do you want screenshots with English language?
    Not necessary... It's quite clear that the last screenshot shows that the Magisk app doesn't recognise that Magisk is installed. So, something's wrong somewhere.

Generally that could mean that the Magisk app is installed to external/adoptable storage (it needs to be installed to the internal storage or stuff like this happens), or you previously had Magisk installed with the Magisk app repackaged with a random name and now the regular app isn't recognised as a trusted root manager, or something else...
    @Didgeridoohan, @pndwal, and all the rest, THANKS for all the help!!

It was as straightforward as indicated, and my Pixel 5a 5G is fully rooted on Magisk v23, SafetyNet fully functioning with riru+drag0n SafetyNet fix+MagiskHide. ALL banking apps work perfect, SN check passes, a rooted apps are perfect, I am SOOO happy, it went absolutely perfectly. No WAY I could have (or would have) tackled this cold on my own!

In a P5 thread, @jcmm11 was answering some concerns and I posted that I'd post a step by step over there for any help it may provide for the new 5a 5G users, so I'll come back and update this post with a link to that when it's ready (later tonight, UFC 266 main card is just kicking off, so later tonight for sure).

Cheers and mad respect to all you awesome selfless folks who make the Magisk world spin round, I'm so grateful.
    I don't think you should be fiddling with "system" as part of trying to install Magisk.

Please confirm: You use Magisk app, with "Recovery" checkbox checked, to patch stock "recovery.img"; you "flash" the magisk-patched-recovery.img to the recovery partition; you try to boot towards recovery; Android comes up; the next time you check, the recovery partition contains the stock, unpatched, recovery.img?
    Yes everything you said is correct, in twrp I spell it wrong, can't mount system or vendor
    I have problem with magisk 23.
    I try install magisk many times before root checker show me "phone is rooted".
    1. All YouTube video about install magisk showing installed magisk with modules to download.
    My menu/options don't show modules to download.
    2. Buttons for reboot not working.
    3. On device settings/security/device administrator can't see Magisk icon.
    4. When I use all apks root 3-5 times ask me about permissions and I need to click again allow (I have set always).

BUT ROOT IS WORKING
    Samsung j3 sm-320fn
    Please attach your screenshot from Magisk
    Do you want screenshots with English language?
    and what you are trying to show by each image. ie what you think we should be focusing on
    OK. AIO solution. Modded "Universal SafetyNet Fix" module. Just added "model" props.
    So, new layer of HARDWARE detection is here.
    SafetyNet failed on devices, where must bee HARDWARE detection. GMS no longer check system response of evaluation type, and force check HW. USNF doesn't work in this cause.
    Hm, funny things happening. I was thinking this is upgrade of HW attestation, but it is DOWNGRADE actually. 😄

Remember my old first simple digging into HW?
    It`s..... working again.

Looks like a temporary solution or just "combo" of old and new methods from Google.
    This explains the fact that dirty hack with Xposed-s working now.

So, this current environment may be temporary or preparation for something BIGGER.

In conclusion: in this time to passing SafetyNet you need just my old "hardware_off" module from link above or "MagiskHidePropsConf" with any "BASIC" print with model simulation and kdrag0n-s "Universal SafetyNet Fix".

No ***-posed-s need!
    Few Headsups:

1) There are reports that Danny's (@kdrag0n) new early release Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.0.0 (combines AOSP Keystore and shim Keystore solutions) is restoring ctsProfile for some. It just may work for all, but not enough reports as yet. Also, it requires a payment at this stage:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/post-85581909

https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/pull/13#issuecomment-904209677

2) There are reports that simply using MagiskHide Props Config module to 'delete' ro.product.model prop fixes ctsProfile on custom ROMs where other methods have failed. Eg:
    https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/78#issuecomment-912885628

3) New MagiskHide Props Config module 6.0.0 just released with all the sensitive prop values that MagiskHide changed up to and including Magisk v23 set by default, "Force BASIC key attestation" re-enabled (for Googles latest changes), and various other fixes.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...p-edits-and-more-v6-0-0.3789228/post-85581939

I have to agree that this module's name does suddenly seem very apt, and as always, it proves elegant in its versatility. 😛👍

4) Another elegant solution that some may have relegated to a bygone era seems to be coming back in fashion to!

Those with Google Pay problems persisting after fixing ctsProfile are reporting in GPay threads, here and elsewhere, that GPay-SQLite-Fix + SQLite binary modules from stylemessiah (a connoisseur at least in digital fashion ... or perhaps just lucky, our @73sydney, - original solution from @BostonDan ) is fixing these for them once again. 😜 Eg:
    https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/78#issuecomment-912798412

WOT 😉 to read if interested:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...s-of-gms-17-1-22-on-pie.3929950/post-79643248

🤠 PW
    ro.product.model was enough for my OP8T, but I didn't like how Google Play Services started referring to my device as "OnePlus BASIC" with the "hardware off" module, so I knocked together this module really quickly to just append _SN to the real model name. WFM. 🤘
    Removed the @Displax safety net mod fix and applied the latest USNF 2.1.0 from @kdrag0n.

Attestation is passed and device is compliant in company portal too with my original device name 1+8 Pro and not Pixel.

This is done over the latest Alpha Magisk.

Update: My In-display fingerprint hardware is not working anymore, I think the fix is already committed. Hopefully it will be resolved in the next version.
    Yep, I have sent a Pull Request with the fix like an hour after v2.1.0 was released. 🤠

See my post here in the official USNF thread for getting it working in the meantime until it's merged and a new release is made: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...tynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/page-59#post-85631613

Also may be worth everyone reading my comments at the end of that post about people doubting the sponsored testing closed-then-open development.

And then here on this GitHub issue about how it's not meant to replace MagiskHide so you can't just turn Hide off: https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/91#issuecomment-919264624
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p