• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
hello folks, I've got a question related pre V22 versions of magisk I need help with.

I have a cheap android TV box called a Yagala T95
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quad-core-...eywords=yagala+T95+h616&qid=1627822904&sr=8-2

the box comes pre rooted via a root switch in it's settings but without a superSU app. a few of us from the allwinner forum have rooted with older versions of magisk because it's better than having any app that asks for root just getting it on a Chinese box thrown together in the sloppiest way like this thing is.
side note: don't buy a cheap TV box unless it has an AMLogic or RockChip SoC!

anyway, because it came rooted you can install magisk manager and have it flash magisk and then turn off the built-in root.

the problem is this box has zero custom recovery options.
if you factory reset and reinstall magisk manager like I have, you have root for your apps but magisk will ask for the additional setup every time and modules won't work. it asks that you reflash magisk (20.4 in this case).
so my question, updating the magisk app to v22 isn't going to work for me is it ? that's going to want to patch firmware and have me flash it isn't it ?
is there a way to either remove magisk without a recovery to flash the uninstall zip or is it possible to use something like flashify to flash magisk 20.4.zip ? seeing as the box is actually rooted ?

I have no backups and currently no way to reflash it's firmware if it goes wrong hence my caution and need of advice. TIA

pndwal

Not so on my OnePlus 8T.
I thought he was talking about a Pixel 2. Interesting about the OnePlus 8T though. Why does each vendor have to do things differently :-(
I wish the outsides of the phones showed more imagination and the insides less ;-)
John's explanation:
When Google released the first generation Pixel, it also introduced A/B (Seamless) System Updates. Due to storage size concerns, there are several differences compared to A-only, the most relevant one being the removal of recovery partition and the recovery ramdisk being merged into boot.
This marked the introduction of "Method B - Legacy SAR" boot method (ie. SAR in the official sense), and included Pixel 1 and 2. Pixel 3 and 3a.

Numerous A/B as well as A-only (these launched without ramdisk in boot partition necessitating a new Magisk in Recovery option, although some devices do have bootloader support for such ramdisk to be added later to support Magisk in Boot, eg Xiaomi) "Method B" Legacy SAR devices followed.

Later, Google introduced what John calls "Method C - 2SI ramdisk SAR" (not officially considered SAR, but a form of SAR for Magisk's purposes, therefore in Magisk SAR = Yes) A/B seamless update devices including updated Pixel 3 and 3a (retrofitted to API Level 29, apparently the only devices to convert from B boot method to C) and A/B devices launched with API Level 29+.

Also, A-only devices launched with API Level 29+ are type C, as are the A-only Method A - Legacy ramdisk LV (Launch Version) <28 devices that are converted to boot method C with upgrades to API Level 29+ Android.

Google calls this "USES_RECOVERY_AS_BOOT" officially. The new method was necessary due to new Dynamic Partition scheme.

Further, while boot method C devices generally use a hybrid ramdisk in boot partition to boot into Android or recovery,
Some modern devices using A/B with 2SI also comes with recovery_a/_b partitions. This is officially supported with Google’s standard. These devices will then only use the boot ramdisk to boot into Android as recovery is stored on a separate partition.
Also,
A-only Type IV ramdisk can only boot into Android.
I guess late models also come with recovery partitions and match the Type I / boot method A devices converted to boot method C, and that these likely have both boot and recovery ramdisks.

https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/boot.html#some-history

My conclusion:

Generally it is true that A/B devices use recovery in boot partition. This is almost certainly always true of official SAR A/B devices including the Pixel 2 in question.

With newer 2SI A/B devices (I think only High End / flagship models) there are exceptions to this as Google has made provision for dual recovery partitions. Seems OnePlus 8T is one such device.

🤠 PW

Last edited:

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
updating the magisk app to v22 isn't going to work for me is it ? that's going to want to patch firmware and have me flash it isn't it ?
is there a way to either remove magisk without a recovery to flash the uninstall zip or is it possible to use something like flashify to flash magisk 20.4.zip ? seeing as the box is actually rooted ?
If your device is rooted and installing Magisk 20.4 through the app works, things should in theory still work the same with later releases.

If you can run Flashify you could use the uninstall zip or the Magisk zip there, and if you can't use Flashify you might have better luck with Franco's kernel manager.

The caveat is that there's of course always possibilities of things going wrong. Nobody can give you any kind of guarantee of the opposite... If you have no way of restoring your device when (not if) there's a failure you're just going to have to decide if it's worth the risk...

pndwal

If your device is rooted and installing Magisk 20.4 through the app works, things should in theory still work the same with later releases.

If you can run Flashify you could use the uninstall zip or the Magisk zip there, and if you can't use Flashify you might have better luck with Franco's kernel manager.

The caveat is that there's of course always possibilities of things going wrong. Nobody can give you any kind of guarantee of the opposite... If you have no way of restoring your device when (not if) there's a failure you're just going to have to decide if it's worth the risk...
@3mel
And if those methods work (and assuming modules can also be flashed), shouldn't both Magisk named 'uninstall.zip' and 'magisk-xx.zip' work by flashing from Magisk App like a module also? - May even have a better chance of success. PW

Last edited:
Reactions: 3mel

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
@3mel
And if those methods work (and assuming modules can also be flashed), shouldn't both Magisk named 'uninstall.zip' and 'magisk-xx.zip' work by flashing from Magisk App like a module also? - May even have a better chance of success. PW
If the modules tab is available, that would work. But I did not think the module tab is available if Magisk isn't installed, hence I did not mention that option... I would have to test that to confirm though.

pndwal

If the modules tab is available, that would work. But I did not think the module tab is available if Magisk isn't installed, hence I did not mention that option... I would have to test that to confirm though.
It would appear from this post from same user:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/t95-allwinner-h616-tv-box.4089091/post-83997983
that access to modules is available, although other posts there indicate there may be issues with some modules.

Further, it appears user was able to replace existing SU with Magisk 20.4 some time ago when this was current. He was unsure at the time if he had 2 root solutions at once as he apparently had conflicts, but, by turning off the native ROM's 'root switch' setting, Magisk apparently began working without conflicts / issues. He reported Systemless Hosts module was working fine.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/t95-allwinner-h616-tv-box.4089091/post-83357191

I found this thread yesterday while trying to get my head around the issue presented, partly because not enough information was given here. I hadn't responded because I still haven't understood enough about this setup, but it does appear there is no glaring obstacle to updating Magisk, even simply taking update by direct install. (DON'T update App without unhiding / restoring if hidden, and DON'T update Magisk mask without disabling all modules... Just in case! 😉 )

This said, I'd still be wary as I'm unsure about ease of un-bricking... but I know I'd go for it as long as I was confident I could still clean flash ROM to recover. PW

Last edited:

pndwal

Hi, can anyone help me?

I've magisk 23 stable version installed but my WhatsApp can't permit google drive for backing up data. The screen keeps loading where I have to allow for the permission
Device: Pixel XL
Rom: Custom (Pixel Experience 11)
Do you have device settings permission for WhatsApp like this?
Screenshot_2021-08-02-23-09-27-146_com.google.android.permissioncontroller.jpg

I don't think it's a Magisk problem, although I initially hid root from WhatsApp in MagiskHide list and cleared data after that, but I have stock MIUI ROM.

If storage permission is 'allowed' you could try simply clearing WhatsApp cache: fixes Issues for some. Also, confirm Google drive is working without restrictions.

Also, Google "WhatsApp custom ROM" if you haven't already... This result may help:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/fix-for-whatsapp-not-working-in-custom-roms.3760240/
Many other pages have helpful tips...

Official tips here:
https://faq.whatsapp.com/android/tr...ate-or-restore-a-google-drive-backup/?lang=en

😛 PW

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
@Didgeridoohan @pndwal thanks for the suggestions, just to be more clear on what happened...

I flashed magisk via magisk manager first time around because I had janky OEM root. after a recent reset most of what was flashed from v20.4 still remained. installing magisk manager showed 20.4 as installed and SU was working for granting apps permission but the module side was non functional. it would download modules and try to install them and then tell me I needed to flash 20.4...
some parts of that 1st manager flash survived the reset, others seemingly not so. trying to uninstall via the manager didn't take me back to a blank slate like I hoped (so I could repeat that 1st flash again). I'm in limbo, rooted for root access but not for magisk modules. every time I open the manager it asks for the download of additional setup files that never work. so I need to reflash somehow.
flashify installs and reviews say it still works for android 10 users but I've no idea how it would cope with a more complicated (presumably) script. I have Ex Kernel manager that has a script manager and a flasher. I just don't know if these are good gambles worth considering.

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
@Didgeridoohan @pndwal thanks for the suggestions, just to be more clear on what happened...

I flashed magisk via magisk manager first time around because I had janky OEM root. after a recent reset most of what was flashed from v20.4 still remained. installing magisk manager showed 20.4 as installed and SU was working for granting apps permission but the module side was non functional. it would download modules and try to install them and then tell me I needed to flash 20.4...
some parts of that 1st manager flash survived the reset, others seemingly not so. trying to uninstall via the manager didn't take me back to a blank slate like I hoped (so I could repeat that 1st flash again). I'm in limbo, rooted for root access but not for magisk modules. every time I open the manager it asks for the download of additional setup files that never work. so I need to reflash somehow.
flashify installs and reviews say it still works for android 10 users but I've no idea how it would cope with a more complicated (presumably) script. I have Ex Kernel manager that has a script manager and a flasher. I just don't know if these are good gambles worth considering.
When you had Magisk 20.4 installed, did you use MagiskHide? Did you rename the Manager?

Have you re-enabled the OEM root?

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
When you had Magisk 20.4 installed, did you use MagiskHide? Did you rename the Manager?

Have you re-enabled the OEM root?
all is well now with @Didgeridoohan and @pndwal's help...

I hadn't used magisk hide previously no. I managed to fix the issue by updating magisk manager.
first I tried to flash a magisk uninstall zip via Ex Kernel manager as that sounded safest if it didn't work.
it said it had completed the script with success but upon reboot the manager was showing 20.4 still installed.
I reactivated the OEM root switch and updated the manager app to v22.01 I think, then I updated magisk itself and that has worked completely. I have a couple of modules installed already...

many thanks gents

pndwal

all is well now with @Didgeridoohan and @pndwal's help...

I hadn't used magisk hide previously no. I managed to fix the issue by updating magisk manager.
first I tried to flash a magisk uninstall zip via Ex Kernel manager as that sounded safest if it didn't work.
it said it had completed the script with success but upon reboot the manager was showing 20.4 still installed.
I reactivated the OEM root switch and updated the manager app to v22.01 I think, then I updated magisk itself and that has worked completely. I have a couple of modules installed already...

many thanks gents
Great! I was going to say sounded like nothing seemed wrong with Magisk mask itself, but likely reset corrupted Magisk data in /data/adb which should be fixed by reinstalling Magisk. (Sometimes needs deletion of files in /data/adb.)

Happy update worked; should be able to use latest 23.0 or 23001 now.

Do you need to restart after changing OEM root switch? Not sure what that enables exactly... guess you disabled after update. I was wondering about conflicting SU in boot ramdisk... I guess OEM could have used Magisk SU anyway... A root detection app may have given info.

In case you haven't read it, @Didgeridoohan has great (comprehensive) overview of issues / fixes here:
https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/HomePage
(Time to 'Updatefor Magisk v23.0(23000)'? 😛 ) PW

Reactions: duttyend and 3mel

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
Great! I was going to say sounded like nothing seemed wrong with Magisk mask itself, but likely reset corrupted Magisk data in /data/adb which should be fixed by reinstalling Magisk. (Sometimes needs deletion of files in /data/adb.)

Happy update worked; should be able to use latest 23.0 or 23001 now.

Do you need to restart after changing OEM root switch? Not sure what that enables exactly... guess you disabled after update. I was wondering about conflicting SU in boot ramdisk... I guess OEM could have used Magisk SU anyway... A root detection app may have given info.

In case you haven't read it, @Didgeridoohan has great (comprehensive) overview of issues / fixes here:
https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/HomePage
(Time to 'Updatefor Magisk v23.0(23000)'? 😛 ) PW
regarding root switch, yeah once I've got magisk installed I turn it off which does reboot the box.
I might just stick with things the way they are now.

this TV box and similar boxes don't get updates from the so called manufacturers. one company produces the allwinner SoC board and ships it out to other companies who put a case and a kanged, limited OS on to it and call android TV (which it isn't).

right now it's running better than it ever has and I'm not gonna jinx it further.

thanks for what you guys do here!

AquilaDroid

Oct 11, 2012
Raleigh, NC
New topic/problem, probably discussed here before but in six hours of searching/trying things I'm unable to get Magisk installed on Pixel 5 after updating to August update. I forgot (I'm 80 yo, so am allowed to do that!) to delete/uninstall the few modules I had installed which is probably the cause of the boot loops after flashing "magisk_patched-23000_v5rmk.img". I've uninstalled everything, rebooted, installed Magisk Manager, patched boot image and flashed, etc. several times but can't get Magisk installed. Fortunately, I am able to flash the stock boot.img and get back to a working phone, but nothing I've tried has gotten Magisk to install.

I did try the "open a shell and type: adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules" but nothing was found at that stage.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210804-182906.png
    Screenshot_20210804-182906.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: duttyend and pndwal

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
New topic/problem, probably discussed here before but in six hours of searching/trying things I'm unable to get Magisk installed on Pixel 5 after updating to August update. I forgot (I'm 80 yo, so am allowed to do that!) to delete/uninstall the few modules I had installed which is probably the cause of the boot loops after flashing "magisk_patched-23000_v5rmk.img". I've uninstalled everything, rebooted, installed Magisk Manager, patched boot image and flashed, etc. several times but can't get Magisk installed. Fortunately, I am able to flash the stock boot.img and get back to a working phone, but nothing I've tried has gotten Magisk to install.

I did try the "open a shell and type: adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules" but nothing was found at that stage.

Yes, it was asked/answered several times but let it be answered again 🤩

Besides adb, there are two other ways of disabling (or even uninstalling) the remained modules

You have to flash your patched boot.img, then

a) Reboott to Android Safe mode, then reboot again to 'normal' mode.
All modules will be disabled but also you will have to re-enable Magisk Hide again

b) Use TWRP (if appropriate for your device), Advanced, File Manager, go to /data/adb/modules and to each folder (foder = module, you can recognize modules by folder names or by reading the textual file module.prop you will find inside) put a file that must be named: disable (exactly as that)

Then, Magisk will disable the modules and you can manage them from Magisk app (emable or uninstall)

You can find it also in a chapter about the modules in Magisk Wiki, available from Magisk Github (linked from Magisk apo)

pndwal

Assuming you are sure you are patching image from updated ROM now in use, if you still have bootloop after flashing this I'd simply try boot to Safe Mode mentioned above to disable modules. Compatible modules can be enabled again later, others removed.

Also, did you have Magisk App/Manager hidden previously? If so, Magisk is likely actually installed despite N/A showing as long as flashing Magisk-patched image succeeded.

Especially if coming from pre 22.0, you need to UnHide / restore Magisk Manager before updating Manager / App.
https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/releases/22000.html

In practice, failure to do this has also been an issue even updating from later 'compatible' builds.

Now, you simply need to remove hidden Manager app (found in device settings, Manage apps, likely named 'settings' if you didn't chose a custom name) as well as new App, then reinstall new App to overcome conflicts / initialise App properly.

Settings / modules etc are safe (don't run Uninstall options from within App or TWRP). PW

Last edited:

AquilaDroid

Oct 11, 2012
Raleigh, NC
If you still have bootloop after flashing Magisk-patched image, I'd simply try boot to Safe Mode mentioned above to disable modules. Compatible modules can be enabled again later, others removed.

Also, did you have Magisk App/Manager hidden previously? If so, Magisk is likely actually installed despite N/A showing as long as flashing Magisk-patched image succeeded.

Especially if coming from pre 22.0, you need to UnHide / restore Magisk Manager before updating Manager / App.
https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/releases/22000.html

In practice, failure to do this has also been an issue even updating from later 'compatible' builds.

Now, you simply need to remove hidden Manager app (search and find) as well as new App, then reinstall new App to overcome conflicts / initialise App properly.

Settings / modules etc are safe (don't run Uninstall options from within App or TWRP). PW
No, I didn't have Magisk hidden. Thanks for all your support here! I recognize you and @zgfg from an issue I had several years ago!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Latest @vvb2060 Magisk Alpha (Chinese translated):​

Magisk (63cfe7b4-alpha)​

• [General] Based on 63cfe7b4, the content that has been merged upstream is no longer listed
    • [App] Correctly process any data from magiskd
    • [App] Support SharedUserId
    • [App] Delete the backup file after restoring the boot image
    • [App] Built-in current version update log
    • [App] Use the local version when the stub cannot be downloaded, now it can be used completely offline
    • [Busybox] Fix the default shell path
    • [App] Switch to the modern time API of Java 8
    • [DenyList] Dealing with suspicious props
    • [App] Update the SafetyNet extension, update the version of snet.jar to 18
    • [App] Fix that the timer of the authorization pop-up window may not be initialized
    • [Sepolicy] Sepolicy with built-in LSPosed
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/b...f1013cfb8f5/app/src/main/res/raw/changelog.md

And well done all you Magisphiles!

48000 posts!

🎊🎉⚡🍰🎈🤡.

Here's your reward! ... Do I get a prize?

Someone wake up Nigel!

Nigel? 🧀 - PW 🥝
    @pndwal

Calling Marvin, theres a new Magisk alpha literally just appeared on TG :)

3:15AM Sydney time folks (we're in the same city), lets see how long before he announces it and the changelog :)

Taking bets via PM :p
    @pndwal

Calling Marvin, theres a new Magisk alpha literally just appeared on TG :)

3:15AM Sydney time folks (we're in the same city), lets see how long before he announces it and the changelog :)

Taking bets via PM :p
    yeah it's working fine
    I guess I shouldn't install that module since I have MicroG already installed.

I think I'm going to try the regular LOS w/ "microG Installer Revived" module. However, I don't know how to proceed after that since LOS doesn't have the signature spoofing support.

So my question is which modules I should install to get the signature spoofing to work on regular LOS? Sorry, I'm noob.
    You'll need these Magisk modules:
    • microG installer
    • Riru
    • LSPosed
    And you'll also need the FakeGapps Xposed module from WhewInc: https://github.com/whew-inc/FakeGApps/releases
    The release marked "LSPosed scoped module support" (https://github.com/whew-inc/FakeGApps/releases/download/lsposed/app-release.apk) works well.
    [Reserved]

Just took this space to say I really hope we get official TJW Magisk build before 50000 posts... It just might cheer me up.

However, lets see if post 48000 proves auspicious... I'm so depressed... and I already have a headache just thinking about it ... I need a coffee.

[The only source of hot drinks on this entire ship is a benighted piece of equipment produced by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation called a NutriMatic Drinks Synthesizer. It claims to produce the widest possible range of drinks personally matched to the tastes and metabolism of whoever cares to use it. When put to the test, it invariably produces a plastic cup filled with a liquid almost, but not quite, entirely unlike coffee. 😕

"Share and Enjoy," drones the drinks machine.

"Share and Enjoy" is of course the company motto of the hugely successful Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Complaints division. Their marketing division also defines 'android' as "Your Plastic Pal Who's Fun To Be With."... I can only pull off that feat by employing a magiskal mask and several spoofing modifications... No wonder the Complaints division alone now covers the major land masses of three medium sized planets and is the only part of the Corporation to have shown a consistent profit in recent years.]

Marvin
    OK. AIO solution. Modded "Universal SafetyNet Fix" module. Just added "model" props.
    So, new layer of HARDWARE detection is here.
    SafetyNet failed on devices, where must bee HARDWARE detection. GMS no longer check system response of evaluation type, and force check HW. USNF doesn't work in this cause.
    Hm, funny things happening. I was thinking this is upgrade of HW attestation, but it is DOWNGRADE actually. 😄

Remember my old first simple digging into HW?
    It`s..... working again.

Looks like a temporary solution or just "combo" of old and new methods from Google.
    This explains the fact that dirty hack with Xposed-s working now.

So, this current environment may be temporary or preparation for something BIGGER.

In conclusion: in this time to passing SafetyNet you need just my old "hardware_off" module from link above or "MagiskHidePropsConf" with any "BASIC" print with model simulation and kdrag0n-s "Universal SafetyNet Fix".

No ***-posed-s need!
    Few Headsups:

1) There are reports that Danny's (@kdrag0n) new early release Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.0.0 (combines AOSP Keystore and shim Keystore solutions) is restoring ctsProfile for some. It just may work for all, but not enough reports as yet. Also, it requires a payment at this stage:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/post-85581909

https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/pull/13#issuecomment-904209677

2) There are reports that simply using MagiskHide Props Config module to 'delete' ro.product.model prop fixes ctsProfile on custom ROMs where other methods have failed. Eg:
    https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/78#issuecomment-912885628

3) New MagiskHide Props Config module 6.0.0 just released with all the sensitive prop values that MagiskHide changed up to and including Magisk v23 set by default, "Force BASIC key attestation" re-enabled (for Googles latest changes), and various other fixes.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...p-edits-and-more-v6-0-0.3789228/post-85581939

I have to agree that this module's name does suddenly seem very apt, and as always, it proves elegant in its versatility. 😛👍

4) Another elegant solution that some may have relegated to a bygone era seems to be coming back in fashion to!

Those with Google Pay problems persisting after fixing ctsProfile are reporting in GPay threads, here and elsewhere, that GPay-SQLite-Fix + SQLite binary modules from stylemessiah (a connoisseur at least in digital fashion ... or perhaps just lucky, our @73sydney, - original solution from @BostonDan ) is fixing these for them once again. 😜 Eg:
    https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/78#issuecomment-912798412

WOT 😉 to read if interested:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...s-of-gms-17-1-22-on-pie.3929950/post-79643248

🤠 PW
    ro.product.model was enough for my OP8T, but I didn't like how Google Play Services started referring to my device as "OnePlus BASIC" with the "hardware off" module, so I knocked together this module really quickly to just append _SN to the real model name. WFM. 🤘
    Hi all. :)

A bit OT but..

Since there are a few mentioning SuperSU recently.

SuperSU was only a root solution. Nothing about it was hiding.
    Chainfire did create a separate app suhide (later suhide-lite) for hiding the su binary.​

So by removing hide from Magisk, it will actually be more similar to SuperSU.
    Save for the awesome overlay implementation that allows the easy use of Modules.
    +1,000 points to Magisk. ;)

Chainfire sold SuperSU to CCMT in good faith that they would continue the work..
    As far as I know, CCMT only released one update on their own.
    It was broken so Chainfire stepped in (took two days for him to fix) and a new release was pushed to PlayStore.
    I forgot they put their apology in the SuperSU OP.​

After that, CCMT and support for SuperSU started to disappear.​

Magisk is still fully suported.

Quick highlight of Magisk's growth and development..
    • Magisk was originally just a Magic Mask.
      The systemless overlay that allowed us to modify systemlessly.
      Since it requires root, you had to install a root solution.
      SuperSU or superuser
    • Magisk includes a root solution.
      This starts off basic and grows into what is now the magisk su binary.​
    • Magisk can now hide itself.
      This grows into what is/was MagiskHide.​
    • The next step of growth and development. :unsure:
      Every step along the way has lead to an improvement.
      As someone who used Magisk with SuperSU.
      I am a bit anxious but, more excited to find out. :D

Note:
    This was a quick highlight.
    I skiped A LOT.
    For a while, the official MagiskManager app was installed from PlayStore.
    I do not remember.. Did we pay for it?

Cheers all. :cowboy:
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p