• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

AquilaDroid

Oct 11, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Yes, it was asked/answered several times but let it be answered again 🤩

Besides adb, there are two other ways of disabling (or even uninstalling) the remained modules

You have to flash your patched boot.img, then

a) Reboot to Android Safe mode, then reboot again to 'normal' mode.
All modules will be disabled but also you will have to re-enable Magisk Hide again

b) Use TWRP (if appropriate for your device), Advanced, File Manager, go to /data/adb/modules and to each folder (foder = module, you can recognize modules by folder names or by reading the textual file module.prop you will find inside) put a file that must be named: disable (exactly as that)

Then, Magisk will disable the modules and you can manage them from Magisk app (enable or uninstall)

You can find it also in a chapter about the modules in Magisk Wiki, available from Magisk Github (linked from Magisk apo)
I'll give "a" a try in the morning. It's a Pixel 5 - no TWRP unfortunately (I still miss it even after three Pixel phones!). Thanks for all your support here!

Reactions: duttyend and zgfg

jons99

Nov 5, 2019
New topic/problem, probably discussed here before but in six hours of searching/trying things I'm unable to get Magisk installed on Pixel 5 after updating to August update. I forgot (I'm 80 yo, so am allowed to do that!) to delete/uninstall the few modules I had installed which is probably the cause of the boot loops after flashing "magisk_patched-23000_v5rmk.img". I've uninstalled everything, rebooted, installed Magisk Manager, patched boot image and flashed, etc. several times but can't get Magisk installed. Fortunately, I am able to flash the stock boot.img and get back to a working phone, but nothing I've tried has gotten Magisk to install.

I did try the "open a shell and type: adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules" but nothing was found at that stage.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!
read this

also twrp

AquilaDroid

Oct 11, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Just want to give the history of how I got here - I went through the normal monthly update routine (with the exception of removing all Magisk modules before starting). At one point I got the ugly screen with the option to "try again" or WIPE data. I made one last attempt to reflash the update and boot.img which led me to the "crippled" state I'm in now. Here's the result of this mornings (unsuccessful) efforts:

I booted to Safe mode, rebooted to normal mode, restarted and re-created magisk_patched file. (discovered that safe mode removes home screen widgets...) Flashed as below:

C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools>fastboot reboot
Rebooting OKAY [ 0.044s]
Finished. Total time: 0.055s

C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools>adb reboot bootloader
adb server version (39) doesn't match this client (41); killing...
* daemon started successfully

C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot "C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools\magisk_patched-23000_0Gs4k.img"
Sending 'boot_b' (98304 KB) OKAY [ 2.373s]
Writing 'boot_b' OKAY [ 0.340s]
Finished. Total time: 3.822s

Phone stuck with "G" logo

Flashed stock boot.img extracted from August Redfin factory image:

C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot "C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools\image-redfin-rq3a.210805.001.a1\boot.img"
Sending 'boot_b' (98304 KB) OKAY [ 2.363s]
Writing 'boot_b' OKAY [ 0.478s]
Finished. Total time: 3.942s

Rebooting OKAY [ 0.031s]
Finished. Total time: 0.062s

Phone boots normally.

I've been flashing roms (I miss you TWRP!) for years, never had so many issues before Magisk (which I love, and hope the "Boss" comes back!). I hope I'm missing something simple...

And, thanks for the support!

Reactions: J.Michael

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Just want to give the history of how I got here - I went through the normal monthly update routine (with the exception of removing all Magisk modules before starting). At one point I got the ugly screen with the option to "try again" or WIPE data. I made one last attempt to reflash the update and boot.img which led me to the "crippled" state I'm in now. Here's the result of this mornings (unsuccessful) efforts:

I booted to Safe mode, rebooted to normal mode, restarted and re-created magisk_patched file. (discovered that safe mode removes home screen widgets...) Flashed as below:

Rebooting OKAY [ 0.044s]

C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools>adb reboot bootloader

C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot "C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools\magisk_patched-23000_0Gs4k.img"

C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot "C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools\image-redfin-rq3a.210805.001.a1\boot.img"

Rebooting OKAY [ 0.031s]

Phone boots normally.

I've been flashing roms (I miss you TWRP!) for years, never had so many issues before Magisk (which I love, and hope the "Boss" comes back!). I hope I'm missing something simple...

Sorry, I don't understand one thing - did you flash the patched boot img BEFORE booting to Safe mode?

That is the required trick - Magisk recognizes that you are booting to Safe mode and it is a signal for Magisk to disable all modules

If you booted to Safe mode with the stock boot img, then no use - Magisk is not initualizing, nobody will disable modules and next time you boot with Magisk, an enabled module will again cause the bootloop

vandyman

Jul 30, 2012
S.Jersey
Google Pixel 5

Rebooting OKAY [ 0.044s]

Rebooting OKAY [ 0.031s]

Phone boots normally.

There is a fairly new TWRP for redfin, Pixel 5. Just look in the Pixel 5 thread for it.

AquilaDroid

Oct 11, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Sorry, I don't understand one thing - did you flash the patched boot img BEFORE booting to Safe mode?

That is the required trick - Magisk recognizes that you are booting to Safe mode and it is a signal for Magisk to disable all modules

If you booted to Safe mode with the stock boot img, then no use - Magisk is not initualizing, nobody will disable modules and next time you boot with Magisk, an enabled module will again cause the bootloop
I've tried several times, but when I flash the Magisk patched img it will never boot into safe mode when I press the vol up & down buttons (just sits there with the "G" and dim white line underneath). When I flash the stock boot.img it always enters safe mode . I've tried each one several times.
Maybe I should look into TWRP or is this indicative of a problem that will eventually require a wipe (NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)?

Thanks for hanging in there...

Last edited:

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
I've tried several times, but when I flash the Magisk patched img it will never boot into safe mode when I press the vol up & down buttons (just sits there with the "G" and dim white line underneath). When I flash the stock boot.img it always enters safe mode . I've tried each one several times.
Maybe I should look into TWRP or is this indicative of a problem that will eventually require a wipe (NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)?

Thanks for hanging in there...

That post from @Incanity describes
  • flash unpatched boot image
  • boot to safe mode
  • interrupt booting to safe mode to flash patched boot image
  • resume booting to safe mode, so you end up in safe mode with Magisk installed
Just having it look like it works while in safe mode with Magisk is probably a good sign.

Then you reboot and hope to end up in normal mode with Magisk, but with all modules disabled.

It might be that when you are in safe mode with Magisk, you will be able to use Magisk Manager to confirm that Magisk is installed. You might have root privilege, and therefore be able to remove the modules (the /data/adb/modules directory tree). I don't know what's available in safe mode.

AquilaDroid

Oct 11, 2012
Raleigh, NC
1. Flash the boot.img from the official image zip to your device and boot up. OK
2. Hold the power button until the menu comes up OK
3. Hold the power off button until you get the safe mode message OK
4. when rebooting into safe mode, hold down the volume down button to get into fastboot. OK

5. flash your magisk_patched.img OK, but phone doesn't reboot without entering "fastboot reboot" (???) ****Should I hold vol. down button to force it into safe mode?**** NO, THAT DIDN'T WORK. Do I need to use an ADB shell command?

6. the phone will now boot into safe mode with magisk Phone bootloops with "G" on screen. Have to flash stock boot.img to recover. When it reboots phone is still in Safe mode.
7. magisk will automatically disable all modules
8. reboot the phone again to disable safe mode
9. after booting, confirm that magisk works
10. remove all disabled magisk modules with the following adb command

Hope this makes sense to one of you pros!

Last edited:
Reactions: J.Michael

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
That post from @Incanity describes
  • flash unpatched boot image
  • boot to safe mode
  • interrupt booting to safe mode to flash patched boot image
  • resume booting to safe mode, so you end up in safe mode with Magisk installed
Just having it look like it works while in safe mode with Magisk is probably a good sign.

Then you reboot and hope to end up in normal mode with Magisk, but with all modules disabled.

It might be that when you are in safe mode with Magisk, you will be able to use Magisk Manager to confirm that Magisk is installed. You might have root privilege, and therefore be able to remove the modules (the /data/adb/modules directory tree). I don't know what's available in safe mode.
Can you please give a link to the mentioned post about interrupting boot to Safe mode, flashing and 'resuning' the boot to Safe mode

Something very new to me (frankly, I don't understand how to 'resume')

Anyway, we have to be always ready for continuing education

AquilaDroid

Oct 11, 2012
Raleigh, NC

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
1. Flash the boot.img from the official image zip to your device and boot up. OK
2. Hold the power button until the menu comes up OK
3. Hold the power off button until you get the safe mode message OK
4. when rebooting into safe mode, hold down the volume down button to get into fastboot. OK

5. flash your magisk_patched.img OK, but phone doesn't reboot without entering "fastboot reboot" (???) ****Should I hold vol. down button to force it into safe mode?**** NO, THAT DIDN'T WORK. Do I need to use an ADB shell command?

6. the phone will now boot into safe mode with magisk Phone bootloops with "G" on screen. Have to flash stock boot.img to recover. When it reboots phone is still in Safe mode.
7. magisk will automatically disable all modules
8. reboot the phone again to disable safe mode
9. after booting, confirm that magisk works
10. remove all disabled magisk modules with the following adb command

Hope this makes sense to one of you pros!
Quick question, what menu options do you have in fastboot?
Using the volume up/down keys to cycle though the options.

Is there a resume or continue option?

What happens it you just boot the magisk patched image at step 5?
Code:
C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools>fastboot boot "C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools\magisk_patched-23000_0Gs4k.img"

or flash it and then continue boot at step 5?
Code:
fastboot continue

Cheers. :cowboy:

Reactions: AquilaDroid

AquilaDroid

Oct 11, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Quick question, what menu options do you have in fastboot?
Using the volume up/down keys to cycle though the options.

Is there a resume or continue option?

What happens it you just boot the magisk patched image at step 5?
Code:
C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools>fastboot boot "C:\Users\aquil\Desktop\August Platform Tools\platform-tools\magisk_patched-23000_0Gs4k.img"

or flash it and then continue boot at step 5?
Code:
fastboot continue

Very interesting question which opens options I know nothing about!

Power Off
Bar Code
Rescue Mode
Recovery Mode
Restart Bootloader

Gives me a lot more reading material! Any suggestions on the above before I get stuck in several more rabbit holes<G>?

Last edited:
Reactions: ipdev

midgo12

May 30, 2017
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hi Guys.

Magisk-Alpha is still on version 30.
Is anyone using this and finding it works well with no issues.
I am using it but only for basic things like flashing from storage and it works fine for that.
What other uses are you guys using it for???

pndwal

Power Off
Bar Code
Rescue Mode
Recovery Mode
Restart Bootloader

Gives me a lot more reading material! Any suggestions on the above before I get stuck in several more rabbit holes<G>?
Just caught up with saga.

May be missing something, but seems if you cannot boot to Safe mode at all with Magisk-patched image, this is due to issue with image itself / patching process / issue / regression affecting your device since this is effectively 'core only' mode. Ie. even with safe mode access / modules disabled you have bootloop.

If modules are an additional issue, that will just go away once you can boot to Safe mode with patched image.

I understand August update is still Android 11 (- you haven't gone to A12 developer preview have you?).

Anyway, it may be worth while trying @vvb2060's updated Alpha Magisk to patch as he has a number of recent fixes.

I don't know which fixes might help you, but something might be fixed. Eg, he added "Support bootimg v4 format". Late Android 11 uses V3, but Google may already be moving to v4 in preparation for Android 12(?)

Latest Alpha:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85397935 PW

AquilaDroid

Oct 11, 2012
Raleigh, NC

May be missing something, but seems if you cannot boot to Safe mode at all with Magisk-patched image, this is due to issue with image itself / patching process / issue / regression affecting your device since this is effectively 'core only' mode. Ie. even with safe mode access / modules disabled you have bootloop.

If modules are an additional issue, that will just go away once you can boot to Safe mode with patched image.

I understand August update is still Android 11 (- you haven't gone to A12 developer preview have you?).

Anyway, it may be worth while trying @vvb2060's updated Alpha Magisk to patch as he has a number of recent fixes.

I don't know which fixes might help you, but something might be fixed. Eg, he added "Support bootimg v4 format". Late Android 11 uses V3, but Google may already be moving to v4 in preparation for Android 12(?)

Latest Alpha:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85397935 PW
Thanks for all the insight. No, I haven't gone to A12 preview yet, considered it when I flashed the August A11 update (which I now wish I hadn't done <G>). I'll give the lates Alpha a go tomorrow. Can't believe how many things I've tried with exactly the same (fortunately not worse!) results.

Reactions: pndwal and ipdev

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)

Power Off
Bar Code
Rescue Mode
Recovery Mode
Restart Bootloader

Only the two ideas. ;)

fastboot boot instead of flashing it to the device.
Using fastboot continue to continue the boot after flashing the boot image to the device.

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)

Latest Alpha:
Thanks for all the insight. No, I haven't gone to A12 preview yet, considered it when I flashed the August A11 update (which I now wish I hadn't done <G>). I'll give the lates Alpha a go tomorrow. Can't believe how many things I've tried with exactly the same (fortunately not worse!) results.

I was curious now and since no other redfin users have joined in..
I decided to unlock mine to test Magisk.

I updated mine to the July build.
I patched the July boot image prior to updating (I did not check but, I think i was on the May build?).

Interesting Message. 🙃
Both magisk_patched-23001-redfin-rq3a.210705.001-boot.img and magisk_patched-23001-redfin-rq3a.210805.001.a1-boot.img gave the same response.
Code:
[[email protected] p5]$ fastboot boot magisk_patched-23001-redfin-rq3a.210705.001-boot.img
Sending 'boot.img' (98304 KB)                      OKAY [  4.445s]
Booting                                            (bootloader) boot.img missing cmdline or OS version
OKAY [  1.470s]
Finished. Total time: 6.011s
[[email protected] p5]$

The July build booted with the Magisk patched image, I then used the Direct install option to install Magisk.

Updated to August build (I forgot to pre-patch the August boot image. :oops:) so I just booted the patched July image again.
Then patched the August boot image, rebooted to bootloader and booted the patched August boot image to test.
Then used the Direct install option to install Magisk.

Magisk (canary) works just fine with the August build on Pixel 5 (redfin) for me.

I used the fastboot images to update.

I modify the flash-all.sh a bit.
Code:
fastboot -w update image-redfin-rq3a.210805.001.a1.zip
I change it to.
Code:
fastboot --skip-reboot update image-redfin-rq3a.210805.001.a1.zip
fastboot reboot bootloader
This will skip the wipe (-w) and auto-reboot after the update.
The skip-reboot will leave you in fastboot_d so I add the reboot back into bootloader (fastboot).

It is late for me now, I learned my lesson years ago about flashing when tired. ;)

PS.
Ran out of time to test TWRP.
Looks like we need to flash EX kernel before using TWRP but, I did not go though the whole thread.

pndwal

I was curious now and since no other redfin users have joined in..
I decided to unlock mine to test Magisk.
Good stuff!
I updated mine to the July build.
I patched the July boot image prior to updating (I did not check but, I think i was on the May build?).

Interesting Message. 🙃
Both magisk_patched-23001-redfin-rq3a.210705.001-boot.img and magisk_patched-23001-redfin-rq3a.210805.001.a1-boot.img gave the same response.
Code:
[[email protected] p5]$ fastboot boot magisk_patched-23001-redfin-rq3a.210705.001-boot.img
Sending 'boot.img' (98304 KB)                      OKAY [  4.445s]
Booting                                            (bootloader) boot.img missing cmdline or OS version
OKAY [  1.470s]
Finished. Total time: 6.011s
[[email protected] p5]$

The July build booted with the Magisk patched image,
Interesting that it boots despite errors...
I then used the Direct install option to install Magisk.
🤔 ... But Magisk was already installed w/ July image wasn't it?... Did extra Direct Install make some difference here?
Updated to August build (I forgot to pre-patch the August boot image. :oops:) so I just booted the patched July image again.
Then patched the August boot image, rebooted to bootloader and booted the patched August boot image to test.
Assuming this booted ok.

But should be able to patch August image booted from un-patched August installation... Did booting with Magisk to patch make a difference here?
Then used the Direct install option to install Magisk.
🤔 So you're simply re-patching / flashing via direct install rather than flashing already patched and tested August image via fastboot here?
Magisk (canary) works just fine with the August build on Pixel 5 (redfin) for me.
Good to know... So we can assume boot image is still V3 or earlier.

Did you test simply patching then flashing image from latest stock build w/o Magisk installed?
I used the fastboot images to update.

I modify the flash-all.sh a bit.
Code:
fastboot -w update image-redfin-rq3a.210805.001.a1.zip
I change it to.
Code:
fastboot --skip-reboot update image-redfin-rq3a.210805.001.a1.zip
fastboot reboot bootloader
This will skip the wipe (-w) and auto-reboot after the update.
The skip-reboot will leave you in fastboot_d so I add the reboot back into bootloader (fastboot).

It is late for me now, I learned my lesson years ago about flashing when tired. ;)

PS.
Ran out of time to test TWRP.
Looks like we need to flash EX kernel before using TWRP but, I did not go though the whole thread.
Any thoughts on why @AquilaDroid's patched image (patched w/o Magisk installed) results in bootloop and won't even boot to safe mode?...

Perhaps an error transferring image to PC if MTP was used? PW

Top Liked Posts

Completely factual post, must be impersonal machine, just facts. Must not smile, must not
    emote.
    Come on mate... That's not what it's about. It's the page after page of off-topic social media/Telegram style posting, that clutters the thread so much that discussions about actual Magisk stuff gets even harder to find (in this impossible to search mammoth of a thread), that is the problem.

I'll keep an eye on things (since I pretty much live in the Magisk forum anyway) and let you guys know if it starts getting out of hand.

Nice try at satire though... It baited me hook line and sinker. :ROFLMAO:
    Hi everyone, and thanks the developers for this great app. I need help because I can't hide the magisk app, the option isn't available/clickable in the Magisk settings as I show in the screenshot. I'm running an Android 11-based AOSP custom rom (Derpfest).
    Thanks to anyone that can help ;)
    View attachment 5417127
    Requires the Update Channel to be accessible.
    (You have to be online to hide the Magisk app. 😞)

The update channel has to be set to the Magisk app version you want to install.
    Using vvb2060's alpha builds, it will be pointing the the version released to github.
    vvb2060 [magisk_files] - GitHub - alpha - Link

From the screenshot, it appears you set the Update Channel to Custom Channel.
    The Custom Channel is not set so no online version can be found.

Alpha Magisk update (61783ffc-alpha)

[General] Based on 61783ffc, the content that has been merged into the upstream is no longer listed

[App] Correctly process any data from magiskd

[App] Support SharedUserld

[App] Delete the backup file after restoring the boot mirror image

[App] Built-in current version update log

[App] Use the local version when you cannot download the stub, now it can be used completely offline

[Busybox] Fix the default shell path

[App] Switch to Java 8 modern time API

[DenyList] Deal with suspicious props

[App] Expand and update SafetyNet, update the version of snet.jar to 18

[Sepolicy] Sepolicy with built-in LSPosed

[General] Add an obsolete cgroup v2 path

[Zygisk] Fix app_zygote and webview_zygote binary

- You update the journal From 23.0 to 61783ffc

[General] Supports pure 64-bit devices

[General] Support Android 12 emulator

[Zygisk] Code injection framework

[General] Remove MagiskHide

[General] Support Simulator to add modules

[MagiskBoot] Support zimage format

[MagiskBoot] Add zopfi encoder

[Magisklnit] Support bootconfig

[App] The repair installation function will now check if the script under /data/adb/magisk/ has not been updated

[Magisklnit] Support some Meizu devices

[MagiskSU] If the kernel supports it, use isolated devpts

[MagiskSU] Fix the pts configuration code, now no additional sepolicy rules are needed

[MagiskBoot] Support v4 boot image header format

[Magisklnit] Support oplus.fstab for some OnePlus and Opal devices

[App] Restart and update modules, not allowed to be marked as pending deletion

[App] Delete online warehouses

[App] Add mounting information to the saved log file

[App] Suitable for Android 12 API level

[App] Display the waiting pop-up window that is running when hide/restore the original app

[Stub] Open source obfuscation function

[Script] Check and display the sepolicy rule folder of the module.

[App] When the window pops up, hide the screen and add layers. Android 12+ is required

[App] Delete the floating bottom bar and change it to the general bottom operation bar

[General] Support compilation and cache

[General] Add rejection list function

[App] Delete DoH

[App] Delete SafetyNet

[App] Allow the log page to be opened when Magisk is not installed

[App] Display Zygisk status, add restart to take effect to remind Zygisk to Fix the problem

PW
    If you mean, make the bootloader have no interest in booting recovery, that wouldn't help you. Magisk hijacked recovery, Magisk *needs* the bootloader to load "recovery", which is now really Magisk. Once Magisk gets control, Magisk chooses whether to keep control or to turn control over to the original "recovery".

If you mean, make Magisk *always* keep control when booted as part of recovery, in theory it would be trivial: just change the "if" test. I keep hearing that Magisk is open source, so all you need to do is checkout a copy and make the change.

In practice, I don't like my odds. I don't know your background, so I can't guess your chances. Rotsa ruck!

News! Just created twrp, all night was working and now is ready, let's see now what I can do with magisk!
    Now I'm thinking, is any way to disable recovery while holding the combo key so the combo key work only for the magisk too boot?
    It's possible to alter the device so that it boots directly to Magisk, it's been done on a few Samsung devices I believe. But, that meant manually baking Magisk into the kernel so you'd have to figure that out (I have no idea).
    OK. AIO solution. Modded "Universal SafetyNet Fix" module. Just added "model" props.
    So, new layer of HARDWARE detection is here.
    SafetyNet failed on devices, where must bee HARDWARE detection. GMS no longer check system response of evaluation type, and force check HW. USNF doesn't work in this cause.
    Hm, funny things happening. I was thinking this is upgrade of HW attestation, but it is DOWNGRADE actually. 😄

Remember my old first simple digging into HW?
    It`s..... working again.

Looks like a temporary solution or just "combo" of old and new methods from Google.
    This explains the fact that dirty hack with Xposed-s working now.

So, this current environment may be temporary or preparation for something BIGGER.

In conclusion: in this time to passing SafetyNet you need just my old "hardware_off" module from link above or "MagiskHidePropsConf" with any "BASIC" print with model simulation and kdrag0n-s "Universal SafetyNet Fix".

No ***-posed-s need!
    Few Headsups:

1) There are reports that Danny's (@kdrag0n) new early release Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.0.0 (combines AOSP Keystore and shim Keystore solutions) is restoring ctsProfile for some. It just may work for all, but not enough reports as yet. Also, it requires a payment at this stage:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/post-85581909

https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/pull/13#issuecomment-904209677

2) There are reports that simply using MagiskHide Props Config module to 'delete' ro.product.model prop fixes ctsProfile on custom ROMs where other methods have failed. Eg:
    https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/78#issuecomment-912885628

3) New MagiskHide Props Config module 6.0.0 just released with all the sensitive prop values that MagiskHide changed up to and including Magisk v23 set by default, "Force BASIC key attestation" re-enabled (for Googles latest changes), and various other fixes.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...p-edits-and-more-v6-0-0.3789228/post-85581939

I have to agree that this module's name does suddenly seem very apt, and as always, it proves elegant in its versatility. 😛👍

4) Another elegant solution that some may have relegated to a bygone era seems to be coming back in fashion to!

Those with Google Pay problems persisting after fixing ctsProfile are reporting in GPay threads, here and elsewhere, that GPay-SQLite-Fix + SQLite binary modules from stylemessiah (a connoisseur at least in digital fashion ... or perhaps just lucky, our @73sydney, - original solution from @BostonDan ) is fixing these for them once again. 😜 Eg:
    https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/78#issuecomment-912798412

WOT 😉 to read if interested:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...s-of-gms-17-1-22-on-pie.3929950/post-79643248

🤠 PW
    ro.product.model was enough for my OP8T, but I didn't like how Google Play Services started referring to my device as "OnePlus BASIC" with the "hardware off" module, so I knocked together this module really quickly to just append _SN to the real model name. WFM. 🤘
    Removed the @Displax safety net mod fix and applied the latest USNF 2.1.0 from @kdrag0n.

Attestation is passed and device is compliant in company portal too with my original device name 1+8 Pro and not Pixel.

This is done over the latest Alpha Magisk.

Update: My In-display fingerprint hardware is not working anymore, I think the fix is already committed. Hopefully it will be resolved in the next version.
    Yep, I have sent a Pull Request with the fix like an hour after v2.1.0 was released. 🤠

See my post here in the official USNF thread for getting it working in the meantime until it's merged and a new release is made: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...tynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/page-59#post-85631613

Also may be worth everyone reading my comments at the end of that post about people doubting the sponsored testing closed-then-open development.

And then here on this GitHub issue about how it's not meant to replace MagiskHide so you can't just turn Hide off: https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/91#issuecomment-919264624
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p