• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

pndwal

This'll be fun:

@MishaalRahman (late of XDA) posted (on twitter) he just got WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android) up and running with Windows 11 (yes, you can sideload APKs!).

Of course, John is now pulling out all stops to 'root' it with Magisk! - Magisk for Windows; what a treat!

There's no ramdisk, but he's located 4 stage init (last 2 are Android 2SI)

He says "I found the init, the kernel binary, and initrd.img. Let's get things cooking baby!"... Go John! 😃 PW

Last edited:
Reactions: 73sydney

arik100

Apr 6, 2012
unfortunately search doesn't work properly for me.

i get error installed N/A
poco X3 pro
installed magisk,
patched boot via magisk
flashed patched boot via fastboot and then via magisk.

i have root but i get this "status"
any ideas?
i run arrow os android 12 (arrowos recovery)

pndwal

unfortunately search doesn't work properly for me.

i get error installed N/A
poco X3 pro
installed magisk,
patched boot via magisk
flashed patched boot via fastboot and then via magisk.

i have root but i get this "status"
any ideas?
i run arrow os android 12 (arrowos recovery)
Did you have Magisk installed / working on that device previously w/ App hidden? If so, see:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85761971

If you didn't update with Magisk App hidden, there are current issues with this symptom, eg:
1) https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4319
- SU present but not working. Could try this workaround:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4319#issuecomment-851840533

2) https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4174
- SU working, but this affects devices with Android 6.x, 7.x.

3) FWIW, here's an old one that affected ArrowOS:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4005

I suspect you have hidden app conflict, but there have been very few trials / issues reported w/ Android 12 as yet. 😬 PW

Last edited:

pndwal

This'll be fun:

@MishaalRahman (late of XDA) posted (on twitter) he just got WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android) up and running with Windows 11 (yes, you can sideload APKs!).

Of course, John is now pulling out all stops to 'root' it with Magisk! - Magisk for Windows; what a treat!

There's no ramdisk, but he's located 4 stage init (last 2 are Android 2SI)

He says "I found the init, the kernel binary, and initrd.img. Let's get things cooking baby!"... Go John! 😃 PW
LSPosed guys have Windows 'Root' w/ Magisk! ... and Windows Xposed! 😃
Well... Magisk, Riru and LSPosed are now working on WSA!

Brief steps (note this is just a tmp solution)
1. Enable dev mode in win, extract WSA package, disable its signature verification and remove private permissions, and sideload it.
2. Download kernel sources of WSA, write a kernel module to provide su, compile it and relpace the kernel.
3. With su, compile magisk and run its emulator.sh script, then grant su to adb.
4. Compile Riru commenting out codes that restart zygote and install it.
5. Download and install LSPosed.
6. adb reboot userspace.
7. Enjoy :)
LSPosed Telegram group.

😛 PW

Last edited:
Reactions: onoakino and rodken

pndwal

LSPosed guys have Windows 'Root' w/ Magisk! ... and Windows Xposed! 😃

LSPosed Telegram group.

😛 PW
Drooling? 😄
John Wu, 50m

Yup, we managed to get kernel assisted SU up and running in WSA, which bootstraps Magisk using my emulator scripts, and the rest is business as usual.

(Also by "we", I mean Magisk + Riru + LSPosed folks as we are in close collaboration)

Proper Magisk installation would require some additional research and investigation. But it's always fun to get the screenshots out and have people drool over it, doesn't it 😜

To drool or not to drool... That is the question. 🤪 PW

Last edited:

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL

pndwal

It cant run any Google Services or any apps that reply on them...personally i dont see the point in Android on Windows
Perhaps it's just the drool factor. 😜...

But I used to live in the same town as Sir Edmund Hillary, and what did he do?

Spoiler:
„˙ǝɹǝɥʇ sɐʍ ʇı ǝsnɐɔǝq„ - ¿ʎɥM
¡ƃuıɥʇ ǝɥʇ pǝqɯıןɔ puɐ 'uıɐʇunoɯ ǝɥʇ oʇ ʇuǝʍ ɥʇoq ǝɥ ˙˙˙ ,ʇuıod ǝɥʇ ǝǝs ʇ,uop I, pıɐs ɹǝʌǝu ǝH

I can't really see the point of Magisk here either (except for some modules?), but I'll watch the proceedings for sure ... as long as top Magisk / XPosed / Riru Devs are excited about it, why not? (Some watch cricket!) 😃

What do I know... Perhaps they can add GMS / get GApps going! 🤪

Perhaps Google will even add Windows compatibility if this thing flies! ...

Or perhaps pigs might... 🙃 😁 😐

... Until then, Windows users will at least be instantly able to run a plethora of favourite Android apps on their PC's it seems. - That's gotta be Value Added functionality for many users and a selling point for MS! 🙂 PW

{Mod edit: ISPOILER added to upside-down text - Oswald Boelcke, Moderator}

My Edit: Thanks @Oswald Boelcke - good tip! 😛

Last edited:
Reactions: rodken and 73sydney

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
For devs, virtual android on windows is instrumental, and with easy root is brilliant. There are countless very strong reason for it. Even for non devs, having an environment to test that is not your daily is priceless in itself. Do you honestly think Mircro$oft went down this difficult route solely for bragging rights?

arik100

Apr 6, 2012
Did you have Magisk installed / working on that device previously w/ App hidden? If so, see:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85761971

If you didn't update with Magisk App hidden, there are current issues with this symptom, eg:
1) https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4319
- SU present but not working. Could try this workaround:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4319#issuecomment-851840533

2) https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4174
- SU working, but this affects devices with Android 6.x, 7.x.

3) FWIW, here's an old one that affected ArrowOS:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4005

I suspect you have hidden app conflict, but there have been very few trials / issues reported w/ Android 12 as yet. 😬 PW
1. what do you mean with app hidden?
2. about other options - i don't see any solution... just mentions, but again, i do have root , just that i get N/A and i can't install modules (which is annoying...)

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
1. what do you mean with app hidden?
2. about other options - i don't see any solution... just mentions, but again, i do have root , just that i get N/A and i can't install modules (which is annoying...)
It means Hide Magisk app (option in the Magisk app settings).
In that case you had renamed Magisk app to something else, 'hidden' name like zyWdPSqr app or whatever - you have to find it under your name in Settings/Apps or Apps drawer and uninstall it

That is the most common case when people claim: I have root but my new Magisk app shows Magisk N/A.
And that case has been asked/discussed/answered/instructed tens (add one more 0) of times already in this thread:)

arik100

Apr 6, 2012
1. there was a setting hide magisk which was ticked, but i didn't rename the app. just tick it.
2. right now i can't access the settings of magisk, and i don't really know how to start searching for the app , to add the fact that android 12 app drawer is quite weird..
3. do you have other suggestions? will full format solve this?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
1. there was a setting hide magisk which was ticked, but i didn't rename the app. just tick it.
2. right now i can't access the settings of magisk, and i don't really know how to start searching for the app , to add the fact that android 12 app drawer is quite weird..
Hide Magisk is one thing (neccessary for SafetyNet) and Hide Magisk app (in the old times: Hide Magisk Manager) the other thing (needed to hide the app/mngr from some banking and similar apps)

Both these options are present in the Magisk app (former manager), they sound similar, and unfortunately many users do not distinguish Magisk itself (kind of 'service') from the app (kind of: user interface) - therefore not distinguishing hiding one from the other

When taking Hide Magisk app, then you don't only rename the app (you can even leave the original name) but (even if you leave the original name) the app will be obfuscated by renaming its package name.
Therefore, after that it cannot be found anymore under the package name com.topjohnwu.magisk.
In fact, new package name will be randomly generated (therefore there is no rule or default package name to help finding it)

You say that you have root. Instead of formatting, use some root explorer (fortunately you used it earlier and granted it root previously) and go to /data and delete adb folder (/data/adb).
Same can be done also from TWRP

However, try first again to find and uninstall (supposidely hidden) Magisk app (or manager if you previously had an older version of Magisk). In those old times default name for renaming/hiding was something like Manager and it used to have some uggly (Android default) icon

Last edited:

pndwal

If you mean you did select 'Hide the Magisk app' but you didn't select a customised name, default obfuscated app name is usually simply 'Settings'...

Be careful, but you need to uninstall that.

You should be able to find it in device settings, Apps. Nb. It is often difficult to locate elsewhere. PW

Last edited:
Reactions: J.Michael and zgfg

pndwal

That's why I said at the end that he needs to find it and uninstall

(But I didn't use Hide Magisk app for long time and forgot that newer default name became Settings)
mmm... but you said 'instead of formatting' remove adb folder.

Removing adb directory solves many issues,. but won't fix this one as conflict is with app which remains.

Formatting / factory reset would solve problem, but removing adb dir. will just lead to frustration of setting up Magisk again only the find App is still unusable...

Correct me if I'm wrong. 😬 PW

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
mmm... but you said 'instead of formatting' remove adb folder.

Removing adb directory solves many issues,. but won't fix this one as conflict is with app which remains.

Formatting / factory reset would solve problem, but removing adb dir. will just lead to frustration of setting up Magisk again only the find App is still unusable...

Correct me if I'm wrong. 😬 PW
At the end of the post I said there:
However, try first again to find and uninstall (supposidely hidden) Magisk app (or manager if you previously had an older version of Magisk). In those old times default name for renaming/hiding was something like Manager and it used to have some uggly (Android default) icon
Now something semi-related.
My MagiskAlpha IS NOT hidden (not obfuscated)

But RootBeer does not detect Root mngmt app?!
It fully passes (when enabled in DenyList)

If disabled in DenyList it detects BB, su, root, Magisk but still does not detect plain com.topjohnwu.magisk package

Did I go insane?

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_000829.jpg
    IMG_20211023_000829.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_2021-10-23-00-16-22-903_sarangal.packagemanager.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-23-00-16-22-903_sarangal.packagemanager.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 52

pndwal

At the end of the post I said there:
OK... I think I understand that you meant wipe adb dir. only after fixing app conflict... Still not sure why though... Guess possibly to fix other issues...

Now something semi-related.
My MagiskAlpha IS NOT hidden (not obfuscated)

But RootBeer does not detect Root mngmt app?!
It fully passes (when enabled in DenyList)

If disabled in DenyList it detects BB, su, root, Magisk but still does not detect plain com.topjohnwu.magisk package

Did I go insane?
Insanity is only a contributing factor...

You're on Android 11+ I believe. APIs changed w/ SDK 30.

Momo main screen seems answer your conundrum:
About the scan

Momo dose not scan installed apps. lt is incorrect to detect the installed application, because it can be easily bypassed with package name randomization.

In addition, Google Play requires all apps updated after Nov 2021 to adapt Android 11, apps will not able to acquire the app list. Detecting installed apps has no practical meaning.

Therefore, when other "detection apps point out that there is root or Xposed, but Momo does not, it is probably because they found Some Specific app.

🤠 PW

Last edited:
Reactions: zgfg
Now they should try installng BitGapps systemless on it, probably it will be not that hard ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/custom-gapps-bitgapps-for-android.4012165/ )

Amazon, Microsoft, Google will "love" that.

It cant run any Google Services or any apps that reply on them...personally i dont see the point in Android on Windows

Perhaps it's just the drool factor. 😜...

But I used to live in the same town as Sir Edmund Hillary, and what did he do?

Opengapps:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: pndwal and ipdev

Top Liked Posts

I.e., compared to you, I have additional detection:
    - Restriction on non-SDK interfaces is not working
    This flag in Momo App is related to using a DeOdexed Rom ( your and all the xiaomi.eu roms is deodexed ).
    Most of the stock roms are odexed BUT if someone decide to deodex even one file in his device rom for example: using the SmaliPatcher Module ( Which it will deodexing and patching the services.jar file in the "/system/framework/services.jar" ) then he will get that flag.
    Trying with 0f71edee-alpha (23015) but Shamiko reports that Magisk is somewhat broken and Momo still finds Zygisk

All other things work for me (SafetyNet hence DenyList and Zygisk, Superuser grants, modules - and of course, I do testing without Riru)

PS: Tested also with all other modules disabled, still Shamiko reports the same error and fails to hide Zygisk

EDIT:
    With the updated:
    Shamiko-v0.1.2-47-release.zip
    It worked!!!
    Updated to Shamiko 47 and it works:
    - Enforce and Configure DenyList
    - Install Shamiko
    - Disable DenyList - Shamiko takes over, DenyList will work although disabled in Magisk app

Then Momo does no more find Zygisk while SafetyNet still passes (I have two other apps that I had to add to DenyList and they also don't complain about root)
    Working for me.

View attachment 5475567

Edit: See you got it sorted...
    Not that I 'sorted out' but they fixed Shamiko - with (42) three other users reported the same problem on TG channel, but when you woke up :), the bug was already fixed in the new Shamiko build (47)

Anyway, more about my tests with Magisk Alpha 23015, Zygisk+DenyList, Shaniko and Momo v4.0.1:

With USB debugging disabled, Magisk app repackaged and all modules disabled except Shamiko, I still have:
    - Partitions mounted abnormally
    - Bootloader unlocked

Unfortunately, I cannot get any better than that?!

I.e., compared to you, I have additional detection:

but on the other side, I don't have yours:
    - Found Magisk
    - ART parameters are abnormal

---

I can Restore Magisk app, enable BusyBox, Systemless hosts, AML, Viper4Android (using v2.7.2.1 - it doesn't switch to Permisive mode) and Smali Patcher (I only patch Secure Screenshots), they don't make any worse, I still have the same three Momo detections as above

---

When I enable Zygisk-LSPosed module, Momo ads:
    - ART parameters are abnormal

but by disabling the (single) line in the LSPosed system.prop file (workaround suggested by @Eng.Raman), I can avoid that abnormal Art params detection

And with that workaround all my LSP modules (GravityBox, CustoMIUIzer, Hide My Apps) and their corresponding mods still work correctly

---

When USB debugging in Developer options is enabled, Momo will add:
    - Debugging mode is enabled

---

Finally, I can also enable Systemless debloating (by use of .replace files) and debloat various apps (tested by debloating 25 of them) from /system, /system_ext and /product - with no implications to Momo detections

However - that's strange, if I debloat any app from /vendor (I tested separately with 3 of them), then Momo immediately detects (and only in that case for me):
    - Found Magisk
    I appreciate your reply. I cant find an apk for this, or any links, other than some stuff I don't trust on youtube. I did not find any links on how how install this. Github frustrates me, I don't understand it. Can someone point me to how to install this?
    I've been following the thread for a long time now, and I think some users are still confused regarding the differences between the different variants of Magisk that are available for use. I'm going to try and summarize them here, which should be helpful for everyone:

Magisk Variant​
    Stable​
    Canary​
    Alpha​
    Custom​
    Release
    Official​
    Official​
    Unofficial​
    Unofficial​
    Maintainer
    topjohnwu​
    topjohnwu​
    vvb2060​
    TheHitMan7​
    Project Link
    Zygisk
    No​
    Yes​
    Yes​
    Yes​
    DenyList
    No​
    Yes​
    Yes​
    No​
    MagiskHide
    Yes​
    No​
    Yes*​
    Yes​
    Modules Repo
    Yes​
    No​
    No​
    Yes​
    Download Link

*If you turn off Zygisk in Alpha, then DenyList will act like MagiskHide. So essentially, you can have Zygisk On + DenyList or Zygisk Off + DenyList running as MagiskHide.

In case I've gotten something wrong, or can add more information, please let me know. :) Cheers!
    Great guide, thanks... I think I followed a similar guide from you a while back, but forgot full path requirement... Pinged you as I thought you'd come through! 👍

I didn't say MagiskBoot was part of Magisk binary however... I clearly said 'magiskboot * binary * isn't working for me'. 😜 ...

Thanks for the method. PW
    This one might be a bit more confusing. ;)

Not sure I can operate Magiskboot before I flash it to the device. Once I flash Magisk, I have access to fastboot through recovery, and that's it.
    While catching up last night, I missed that you are not rooted. :oops:

---

Without root, you need a directory with heightened permissions that you can access.

You should be able to use the /data/local/tmp/ directory.

Unzip the Magisk apk file and push the appropriate architecture to the device.
    Then set the permissions to be executable.

Linux/Mac command line example.
    Make the appropriate changes if you use Windows.​
    • Unpack the lib directory from the Magisk apk file.
      unzip app-debug.apk lib*
    • Push the matching Magisk architecture to the device.
      adb push lib/YourDeviceArchitecture/* /data/local/tmp/
    • Push the boot image you want to modify to the device.
      adb push boot.img /data/local/tmp/
    • Set permissions.
      adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*.so
    • Enter adb shell and change directories.
      adb shell
      cd /data/local/tmp/
    • Run the commands using the ./ prefix.
      ./libmagiskboot.so

Make the changes you want, exit the shell and pull the new-boot image to the computer.
    Reboot into bootloader and boot the new-boot image.

Note:
    /data/local/tmp/ should be an empty directory.
    You should clear the directory after you are done using it. ;)

Quick example just unpacking and repacking a boot image without root.
    Magiskboot Example - Pastebin - Link

Hope it helps more than confuse. 🙃

Cheers. :cowboy:
    Hi all. :D

I do not use twitter so, I am out of the loop at times. :confused:
    Links to a few tweets were noted in an issue on USNF github earlier today.

Seemed to be appropriate to mention here.

From John Wu.
    PSA: MagiskHide of Magisk v23.0 no longer passes SafetyNet, even with BASIC evalType. Tested on my Pixel 4 XL running stock Android 12 with vanilla Magisk v23.0.

MagiskHide is *officially* dead. If you need any kind of root hiding, it's the perfect time to find alternatives.
    There are already plenty of "root hiding" modules out there that I'm aware of, some even utilizing the latest features of Magisk canary.

I'm obligated to distance myself from any tamper detection circumvention, so I will not assist/promote any modules. Do your own research 🙃

From osm0sis
    *Cough* @kdrag0n's Universal SafetyNet Fix (USNF) *Cough* 😘
    To be specific, Magisk Canary, Zygisk and DenyList enabled, and USNF v2.2.0+ is the way forward. 🤘

Cheers all. :cowboy:

Latest Magisk Canary:​

Magisk (7e9d4512) (23014)​

• Fix crashes when multiple Zygisk module is installed
    • Fix crashes in magiskboot under certain circumstances
    • Always unload Zygisk itself after post specialize
    • Add module suspension state in Magisk app (riru/zygisk modules)

Diffs to v23.0​

• [General] MagiskHide is removed from Magisk
    • [General] Support 64-bit only systems
    • [General] Support Android 12
    • [Zygisk] Introduce new feature: Zygisk
    • [Zygisk] Introduce DenyList feature to revert Magisk features in user selected processes
    • [MagiskBoot] Support patching 32-bit kernel zImages
    • [MagiskBoot] Support boot image header v4
    • [MagiskBoot] Support patching out skip_initramfs from dtb bootargs
    • [MagiskInit] Support /proc/bootconfig for loading boot configurations
    • [MagiskInit] Better support for some Meizu devices
    • [MagiskInit] Better support for some Oppo/Realme devices
    • [MagiskInit] Support init.real on some Sony devices
    • [MagiskPolicy] Load *_compat_cil_file from system_ext
    • [MagiskSU] Use isolated devpts if the kernel supports it
    • [MagiskSU] Fix root shell if isolated mount namespace is set
    • [resetprop] Deleted properties are now wiped from memory instead of just unlinking
    • [App] Build a single APK for all ABIs
    • [App] Switch to use standard bottom navigation bar
    • [App] Downloading modules within the Magisk app is removed
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk-files/blob/55bdc45955e7ba1fe4d296b6fc06f926ebc9ddd1/notes.md
    👍 PW
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p