• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

pndwal

Last edited:
Reactions: wilsonhlacerda

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
At the end of the post I said there:

Now something semi-related.
My MagiskAlpha IS NOT hidden (not obfuscated)

But RootBeer does not detect Root mngmt app?!
It fully passes (when enabled in DenyList)

If disabled in DenyList it detects BB, su, root, Magisk but still does not detect plain com.topjohnwu.magisk package

Did I go insane?
OK... I think I understand that you meant wipe adb dir. only after fixing app conflict... Still not sure why though... Guess possibly to fix other issues...

Insanity is only a contributing factor...

You're on Android 11+ I believe. APIs changed w/ SDK 31.

Momo main screen seems answer your conundrum:

🤠 PW

The current version of RootbeerFresh on PlayStore is from February 2019.
The target API/SDK level is 28 (Android 9).
Code:
package: name='com.kimchangyoun.rootbeerFresh.sample' versionCode='10' versionName='0.10' compileSdkVersion='28' compileSdkVersionCodename='9'
sdkVersion:'15'
targetSdkVersion:'28'
It conforms to the regulations Google set for Android 9.​

The current version of RootBeer Sample on PlayStore is from May 2021.
The target API/SDK level is 30 (Android 11).
Code:
package: name='com.scottyab.rootbeer.sample' versionCode='10' versionName='0.9' compileSdkVersion='30' compileSdkVersionCodename='11'
targetSdkVersion:'30'
It conforms to the regulations Google set for Android 11.​

Even on Android 12..
RootbeerFresh will still find com.topjohnwu.magisk.
RootBeer Sample will not find com.topjohnwu.magisk.

RootbeerFresh - PlayStore - Link
RootBeer Sample - PlayStore - Link

Cheers. :cowboy:

PS.
I am not sure why the animation does not run on RootbeerFresh when in split screen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screenshot from Pixel 5 (Android 12) and Pixel 4a (Android 11).
Both RootbeerFresh and RootBeer Sample are added to DenyList.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211022-193038.png
    Screenshot_20211022-193038.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20211022-194110.png
    Screenshot_20211022-194110.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

pndwal

Code:
package: name='com.kimchangyoun.rootbeerFresh.sample' versionCode='10' versionName='0.10' compileSdkVersion='28' compileSdkVersionCodename='9'

The target API/SDK level is 20 (Android 11).
Code:
package: name='com.scottyab.rootbeer.sample' versionCode='10' versionName='0.9' compileSdkVersion='30' compileSdkVersionCodename='11'

Even on Android 12..

RootbeerFresh - PlayStore - Link
RootBeer Sample - PlayStore - Link

PS.
I am not sure why the animation does not run on RootbeerFresh when in split screen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screenshot from Pixel 5 (Android 12) and Pixel 4a (Android 11).
Both RootbeerFresh and RootBeer Sample are added to DenyList.
Thanks Doc... Fixed my typo: meant SDK 30 of course! ... Your turn; I believe you meant SDK 30 (above) also, not 20. 👍 PW

• Haha
Reactions: ipdev

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
...snip...

PS.

...snip...
As I am sure you already understand, the images / layout and theerefore animations are within the APK based on screen resolution. By default, split screen makes the app think its running in landscape and the screen is only half the resolution/density. ie spit screen is two landscape screens of half the resolutioon.

Reactions: J.Michael and ipdev

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Thanks Doc... Fixed my typo: meant SDK 30 of course! ... Your turn; I believe you meant SDK 30 (above) also, not 20. 👍 PW
Just keeping you on your toes. :p
I corrected my ytpo.🙃

Google normally refers to changes in Android level by API.
source.android - WebSite - Link

SDK is Software Development Kit.
NDK is Native Development Kit.
Equal to the API level they use.
developer.android - WebSite - Link
Android 12 = API 31, NDK 31 and SDK 31.

Reactions: pndwal

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
As I am sure you already understand, the images / layout and theerefore animations are within the APK based on screen resolution. By default, split screen makes the app think its running in landscape and the screen is only half the resolution/density. ie spit screen is two landscape screens of half the resolutioon.
I did not think of that.
Dumb user moment. :oops:

You are correct RootbeerFresh does not support landscape mode. ;)

RootbeerFresh is(was) a fork of scottyab's RootBeer so I assumed they would behave the same.
RootbeerFresh - GitHub - Link

Last edited:

Soumy1234

Aug 19, 2017
Is anyone else trying out TheHitMan's Magisk builds? I installed it to try it out and I can't enable Magisk Hide. It keeps disabling itself. Zygisk is enabled and I only got the systemless hosts module installed.

pndwal

Just keeping you on your toes. :p
I corrected my ytpo.🙃

Google normally refers to changes in Android level by API.
source.android - WebSite - Link

SDK is Software Development Kit.
NDK is Native Development Kit.
Equal to the API level they use.​
developer.android - WebSite - Link
Android 12 = API 31, NDK 31 and SDK 31.

Lit of bysdexia never hurts!

Ah, yes - I'm an amateur sleuth, and was recalling vvb2060 / TJW bumps: 'Add new targetSdk domain' and 'Target SDK 31'. (I got fixated on 31 also 🤪)...

I see vvb2060 changelogs do say '[App] Suitable for Android 12 API level'

Interesting that newer Rootbeer fixed app detection for Android 11+, but if you check @zgfg's screenshot, he is already using 'Rootbeer Sample'.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85817131

I can now confirm I get exactly the same results (I've just tried Rootbeer Sample; never tried Rootbeer before) on Android 11 device (Mi Pad 4, LOS 18.1, TJW Magisk 23001):

'No Root Management Apps' are detected w/ Magisk App NOT hidden, whether Rootbeer Sample is added to hidelist or not! (Root Management Apps are detected on Android 10 device (RN8T) unless Magisk App is hidden.)

My result w/ Rootbeer Sample in hidelist:

Screenshot_20211023-151040_RootBeer_Sample.png

So it still seems changes in Android API Level 30 are exactly as I indicated!

These are summarised well by Momo home-screen comments (vvb2060, Rikka) I cited:
"Google Play requires all apps updated after Nov 2021 to adapt Android 11, apps will not able to acquire the app list." and "Detecting installed apps has no practical meaning."

Lesson for all on Android 11+:

*** There is NO real point using 'Hide the Magisk app' function post Android 10 !!! ***

This is because apps are prohibited from acquiring app list to detect installed apps anyway!

Please say if I'm missing something. 😬

🤠 PW

Last edited:

pndwal

Is anyone else trying out TheHitMan's Magisk builds? I installed it to try it out and I can't enable Magisk Hide. It keeps disabling itself. Zygisk is enabled and I only got the systemless hosts module installed.
Best check it's telegram group (link from Custom Magisk GitHub). I think others have similar issues...

@zgfg is keeping up. PW

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
MagiskHide worked for me in MagiskCustom (95a4a4b8 - the latest), no problem, see
Progress also on the other front:

TheHitMan7 (aka MagiskCustom) 95a4a4b8 from yesterday now works with LSPosed

I've tested with GravityBox-R and CustoMIUizer, with some mods there and it works just fine as with Magisk Alpha

With MagiskCustom:
- there is MagiskHide (not DenyList)
- MagiskHide can work with or without Zygisk
- Modules Repo is available
- SafetyNet checker is also integrated to the Magisk app (yesterday it was removed from the latest Alpha).
(All together, more like the old Magisk Stable v23)

Otherwise, it is also based on the latest TJW's commits for Magisk

Btw, to make LSPosed working, you must use TheHitMan7's LSPosed build - he had to remove dependency of DenyList as built into the newer LSPosed (official) builds (since his MagiskCustom has MagiskHide, not DenyList).
Otherwise, his LSPosed build was built based on the latest LSPosed 1.6.2 (6.1.6.7)

However, I cannot make Momohider working - I enable isolated option but MagiskDetector still detects su in the path (on Alpha, that isolated option helps to hide su from the path)
Disable modules and try with plain Magisk. E.g., some options in Riru-Momohider may affect stability

Btw, I see @Eng.Raman is here (nice), I think he actively uses MagiskCustom (from TheHitMan7)

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Code:

The target API/SDK level is 30 (Android 11).
Code:

Even on Android 12..
Thanks (mostly that I'm not insane)

Confirning, RootBeer Fresh target SDK 28, RootBeer Sample target SDK 30

and yes, the old Fresh still detects (on A11) com.topjohnwu.magisk (Magisk app not hidden)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-23-08-03-00-001_com.kimchangyoun.rootbeerFresh.sample.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-23-08-03-00-001_com.kimchangyoun.rootbeerFresh.sample.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: ipdev and pndwal

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Now (apparently?) more on that matter - detecting apps, prior and post target API 30

For the purpose of testing I had both RootBeer Fresh (target API 28) and RootBeer Sample (target API 30) installedc and confugured in DenyList (latest Magisk Alpha)

Now I uninstalled both of them and then reopened Magisk app to check DenyList - neither of them was showing anymore in DenyList

However, I opened Terminal and used Magisk CLI to inspect which apps are still really in Magisk db enabled for DenyList and found that RootBeer Sample was there, while Root Beer Fresh was removed

In fact I found even more apps there (Native Detector, PushTAN) - apps that I used to have in DenyList but later uninstalled (and whenever I was looking in DenyList tab in Magisk app they were no more showing but apparently I did not take closer look over time either by CLI or by directly opening the denylist table in magisk.db to find that they still remained carved for DenyList)

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_103504.jpg
    IMG_20211023_103504.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20211023_105616.jpg
    IMG_20211023_105616.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

pndwal

and yes, the old Fresh still detects (on A11) com.topjohnwu.magisk (Magisk app not hidden)
Just tried Fresh too, same result as you.

In case there's any confusion, to be even clearer:

*** There will SOON be NO real point using 'Hide the Magisk app' function post Android 10 !!! ***

This is because all apps / updates hosted on playstore from Nov 2021 will be prohibited from acquiring app list to detect installed apps anyway!

Apps older than this are NOT required to comply with Android 11 rules (API Level 30), so may still acquire app list / detect Magisk app. However no updates may be hosted on Playstore without complying, so such apps (banking etc) will clearly become obsolete / be abandoned in a short time anyway.

- These changes are summarised well by Momo home-screen comments (vvb2060, Rikka).

😁 PW

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Just tried Fresh too, same result as you.

In case there's any confusion, to be even clearer:

*** There will SOON be NO real point using 'Hide the Magisk app' function post Android 10 !!! ***

This is because all apps / updates hosted on playstore from Nov 2021 will be prohibited from acquiring app list to detect installed apps anyway!

Apps older than this are NOT required to comply with Android 11 rules (API Level 30), so may still acquire app list / detect Magisk app. However no updates may be hosted on Playstore without complying, so such apps (banking etc) will clearly become obsolete / be abandoned in a short time anyway.

- These changes are summarised well by Momo home-screen comments (vvb2060, Rikka).

😁 PW
It also means that "Detecting root managment apps" check in RootBeer Sample is actually pointless

Last edited:

pndwal

It also means that "Detecting root managment apps" check in FreshBeer Sample is actually pointless
Haha, I think lysdexia is catching today!

Is that Rootbeer Fresh, Rootbeer Sample, or both?... (or are you building FreshBeer Sample? - sounds rather appetizing!)

No need to distinguish however; probably pointless in either going forward.

Nb. This is exactly the point made in Momo:
"Detecting installed apps has no practical meaning." - ie. for the banks.

One for the naysayers; Google actually seem to be doing modders a favour here! 😜 PW

Last edited:
Reactions: zgfg

pndwal

However, I opened Terminal and used Magisk CLI to inspect which apps are still really in Magisk db enabled for DenyList and found that RootBeer Sample was there, while Root Beer Fresh was removed

In fact I found even more apps there (Native Detector, PushTAN) - apps that I used to have in DenyList but later uninstalled (and whenever I was looking in DenyList tab in Magisk app they were no more showing but apparently I did not take closer look over time either by CLI or by directly opening the denylist table in magisk.db to find that they still remained carved for DenyList)
Wondering if this might have anything to do with keeping data/adb/ between Custom and Alpha etc...

@TheHitMan does say:
”Completely uninstall previous Magisk before installing custom Magisk build.
Even switching between custom Magisk builds also require full uninstall."

Also (I'm only guessing) entries not made using app UI may not be tracked / handled as expected. PW

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Wondering if this might have anything to do with keeping data/adb/ between Custom and Alpha etc...

@TheHitMan does say:
”Completely uninstall previous Magisk before installing custom Magisk build.
Even switching between custom Magisk builds also require full uninstall."

Also (I'm only guessing) entries not made using app UI may not be tracked / handled as expected. PW
Should not. You can test yourself (few minutes)

I installed (and added to DenyList) RB Sample last evening and RB Fresh this morning

On the other side, since Thursday evening I'm steadily still on Magisk Alpha, not switching among the Magisk builds/flavors

pndwal

Should not. You can test yourself (few minutes)

I installed (and added to DenyList) RB Sample last evening and RB Fresh this morning

On the other side, since Thursday evening I'm steadily still on Magisk Alpha, not switching among the Magisk builds/flavors
FWIW, I just checked and both have stuck in hidelist on Mi Pad 4 - Android 11- LOS 18.1 w/ TJW 23001 and denylist on RN8T - Android 10 - MIUI w/ latest Alpha.

All 4 installations in past few hours... PW

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Great progress there!

GApps for Windows already, and can even sign in Google account w/ (use SU in adb shell to set selinux permissive) workaround! - Enforcing fix is bound to come too. 😛 (smelling any cheese now Nigel?)

Thanks for heads-up. 👍 PW

Saw this elsewhere

Lets see how long it takes the hammer to come down before you get too excited Marvin :)

Still fail to see the point of Android on Windows...

pndwal

Saw this elsewhere

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-hacker-manages-to-install-google-play-store-on-windows-11-wsa/

Lets see how long it takes the hammer to come down before you get too excited Marvin :)

Still fail to see the point of Android on Windows...
Mmm. Guess we'll have to see.

Interestingly Google have already made concessions to allow whitelisted devices to run GApps as long as these are sideloaded by user (not sold by manufacturer), and device runs a custom ROM. They clearly don't like 'subversion of their security model' to spoof 'Device is certified' however.

It'll be interesting to see if any such concessions will be made for 'uncertified' Windows machines.

It seems certifying these machines in future with CTS is out of the question because 'WSA cannot pass key attestation (KA) as it only implements software backed Keymaster. There is also no verified boot, no "root of trust" in the attestation' (as John states).

I have no idea if the big wigs of MS and G are even on friendly terms, let alone willing to collaborate to make the most of this marriage, but if they want to at least allow Google Play Services and GApps to run as uncertified it's clear they'll need to figure out a foolproof way to achieve a trusted PlayProtect result at least (as things stand), or re-engineer the whole security model to satisfy the needs of corporate partners, customers and their devs before it can happen.

The firing gun is still echoing; the end is way down the track and out of sight to me. PW

Reactions: 73sydney

Top Liked Posts

Anyone seen Happy Momo before?

Hiding Zygisk may be possible! 😀 ...

View attachment 5472595

Translated:
    "The environment is normal, no changes to the environment have been found"

Seems Shamico may be the answer, but early days... (according to this user / dev: nu11ptr)

I know nothing about anime, Manga, demon-girl characters etc, and this may or may not be relavent:

https://machikado-mazoku.fandom.com/wiki/Momo_Chiyoda

Anyway, looks like a genuine POC FWIW.

🤪 😝 PW 😋

... So we now have proper hide-for-Zygisk test released to public!

It's Shamiko-v0.1.1-40-debug.zip

Translated;
    LSPosed:

Shamiko Preview

Simple hide based on zygisk.

Configure inheritance denylist. After installing Shamiko, configure denylist and close denylist, Shamiko will automatically take over and hide.

Theory supports Android 8.1+, but only tested on 11

You need to use the version of magisk after this pr: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/pull/5010

So need to wait for that PR to be merged, or build Magisk from
    https://github.com/LSPosed/Magisk/tree/xhookclear
    to try. PW
    Gotta be impressed with some of John's observations / mathematical mind (which we all apparently have... somewhere...).
    John Wu, Dec 3

US: 12022021
    Asia: 20211202
    EU: 02122021

Only for today, EU is wrong

Me, I didn't initially see it... Took the word 'palindrome' to kick-start my math's brain... 🤪

Bit late, but Happy No-Palindrome Day Europe!

Sorry if OT, but this has gotta be relavent to Magisk development... no? PW
    I've been following the thread for a long time now, and I think some users are still confused regarding the differences between the different variants of Magisk that are available for use. I'm going to try and summarize them here, which should be helpful for everyone:

Magisk Variant​
    Stable​
    Canary​
    Alpha​
    Custom​
    Release
    Official​
    Official​
    Unofficial​
    Unofficial​
    Maintainer
    topjohnwu​
    topjohnwu​
    vvb2060​
    TheHitMan7​
    Project Link
    Zygisk
    No​
    Yes​
    Yes​
    Yes​
    DenyList
    No​
    Yes​
    Yes​
    No​
    MagiskHide
    Yes​
    No​
    Yes*​
    Yes​
    Modules Repo
    Yes​
    No​
    No​
    Yes​
    Download Link

*If you turn off Zygisk in Alpha, then DenyList will act like MagiskHide. So essentially, you can have Zygisk On + DenyList or Zygisk Off + DenyList running as MagiskHide.

In case I've gotten something wrong, or can add more information, please let me know. :) Cheers!
    For those who use Alpha or new Canary and miss the old Modules Repo:

Download and install their root app that will act like the old Modules tab with the integrated connection to the Repo

Actually, two Repositories - the old 'official' one plus the alternative new Repo (the old/original TJW's Repo is closed for submission of any new modules - only the modules that were admitted previously could still be updated to the old 'official' Repo)
    Great guide, thanks... I think I followed a similar guide from you a while back, but forgot full path requirement... Pinged you as I thought you'd come through! 👍

I didn't say MagiskBoot was part of Magisk binary however... I clearly said 'magiskboot * binary * isn't working for me'. 😜 ...

Thanks for the method. PW
    This one might be a bit more confusing. ;)

Not sure I can operate Magiskboot before I flash it to the device. Once I flash Magisk, I have access to fastboot through recovery, and that's it.
    While catching up last night, I missed that you are not rooted. :oops:

---

Without root, you need a directory with heightened permissions that you can access.

You should be able to use the /data/local/tmp/ directory.

Unzip the Magisk apk file and push the appropriate architecture to the device.
    Then set the permissions to be executable.

Linux/Mac command line example.
    Make the appropriate changes if you use Windows.​
    • Unpack the lib directory from the Magisk apk file.
      unzip app-debug.apk lib*
    • Push the matching Magisk architecture to the device.
      adb push lib/YourDeviceArchitecture/* /data/local/tmp/
    • Push the boot image you want to modify to the device.
      adb push boot.img /data/local/tmp/
    • Set permissions.
      adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*.so
    • Enter adb shell and change directories.
      adb shell
      cd /data/local/tmp/
    • Run the commands using the ./ prefix.
      ./libmagiskboot.so

Make the changes you want, exit the shell and pull the new-boot image to the computer.
    Reboot into bootloader and boot the new-boot image.

Note:
    /data/local/tmp/ should be an empty directory.
    You should clear the directory after you are done using it. ;)

Quick example just unpacking and repacking a boot image without root.
    Magiskboot Example - Pastebin - Link

Hope it helps more than confuse. 🙃

Hi all. :D

I do not use twitter so, I am out of the loop at times. :confused:
    Links to a few tweets were noted in an issue on USNF github earlier today.

Seemed to be appropriate to mention here.

From John Wu.
    PSA: MagiskHide of Magisk v23.0 no longer passes SafetyNet, even with BASIC evalType. Tested on my Pixel 4 XL running stock Android 12 with vanilla Magisk v23.0.

MagiskHide is *officially* dead. If you need any kind of root hiding, it's the perfect time to find alternatives.
    There are already plenty of "root hiding" modules out there that I'm aware of, some even utilizing the latest features of Magisk canary.

I'm obligated to distance myself from any tamper detection circumvention, so I will not assist/promote any modules. Do your own research 🙃

From osm0sis
    *Cough* @kdrag0n's Universal SafetyNet Fix (USNF) *Cough* 😘
    To be specific, Magisk Canary, Zygisk and DenyList enabled, and USNF v2.2.0+ is the way forward. 🤘

Cheers all. :cowboy:
    Gents, as grateful I am for all above substantial contributions I hope you allow me to express my "wonder"... As you all know off-topic posts (unless violating forum rules) are only removed on request of the threadowner, I'm just surprised that extremely experienced and knowledgable XDA users allow this thread to deviate from its subject.
    Just as an idea for similar "occasions" in future, hadn't it been better to simply point somebody to the well known subject matter related ad blocker threads? Okay, unexperienced members should certainly question themselves why they post off-topic in a thread. After the initial serious problems with the in-XDA-search, I meanwhile must say it's working excellent for me.

And by the way: I've removed the link to paid applications as not being accepted on XDA. Please don't mind.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p