• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

pndwal

Okay @topjohnwu you're probably sick of the "sell out" stuff and just flaming over the changes in magisk in this new direction you're taking this great project since your employment at Google. I totally agree with you. I think devs and apps and... Should have the option to "opt out" of any modification. but riddle me this, when I have some banking app, some other system app or whatever and that has nothing to do with the modifications I have using root, should they force me to unroot my phone? It's their choice that I shouldn't mess with their app but is it theirs to demand I either choose banking or modifications to other parts of my phone? My point being, if it's at all possible, consider adding Deny list functionality for system apps because currently it doesn't work on any and Hide options for apps that force you to either choose magisk or their app, regardless of what you're modifying. You can factor out any app or service that Google runs but a "choice" for users to bypass detection and modification for apps and services that insist you don't root android and enforce that whether by themselves or using Google services, would be great and probably in sprit of your current decisions.
Other than that, cheers and thanks.
I hope you stay strong and healthy.
The reasoning really had not so much to do with root. Many apps will declare root / jailbreak if they detect any modification to TEE (Trusted Execution environment).

As such, Magisk / John / other devs and modders can do nothing to improve this without hiding / spoofing SafetyNet attestation to TEE, CTS (Compatibility Test Suite) result and Play Protect certification, or other flags indicating TEE has been modified.

However Tee is not broken by root; a 'chain of trust' is broken as soon as bootloader is unlocked these days (was different once), and new flags are set for non-verified boot. AVB (Android Verified Boot) and associated DM-Verity (device-mapper-verity kernel feature) have been added / improved since Android 4.4.
- https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot
- https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot/dm-verity

Magisk / root simply gives mods more permissions than the apps / processes that detect have to hide such traces.

consider adding Deny list functionality for system apps because currently it doesn't work on any
Well actually denylist does work for such apps exactly as intended!

Further re. this John recently said:
John Wu, Oct 6

• I "officially" announced the removal of MagiskHide, not only because of the obvious conflict of interest with my job at Google, but also I wanted to give an early heads up to the community so those who are still passionate about hiding can start "doing their job"
• The new "DenyList" feature of upcoming Magisk versions is me preserving portions of the of hiding codebase and transform it into something I felt is valuable
• It's not a secret that specifically designed modules can indeed utilize the DenyList feature for "hiding" purposes
• DenyList, however, is only meant to "revert all Magisk changes". It will not attempt to manipulate any other signals on the device
• Since Magisk already provides root permissions, modules don't actually need to rely on DenyList for hiding. They can do everything themselves
• There are already modules out there that directly manipulates root detecting processes / system services to workaround HW KA
• This kind of approach to "hide root" is not something I would personally do anyways, regardless of whether I work at Google or not
• However, these invasive methods are actually the only way to workaround HW KA. It will not work forever though, so enjoy while you can 😅
• I wish people won't fork Magisk just to add MagiskHide. Seriously, spending effort on hide modules is much more productive than forks
• But of course, Magisk is open source, you can do whatever you want Man shrugging
• My honest stance on root detection? With HW KA, that war is already over for me. For me right now, within Google we are brainstorming solutions on how to deal with the "root detection abuse" situation
So John states clearly that while he won't work on these personally, 'modules can either utilize the DenyList feature for "hiding" purposes or do everything needed for hiding prrposes tthemselves'. Such 'invasive methods (the only way to workaround HW KA.)' will need to be implemented by others and he says outright 'spending effort such on hide modules is much more productive than Magisk forks'. Earlier he even stated that these would be trivial to produce.

Unfortunately:
John Wu, Oct 24

Even if the latest Magisk is arguably more capable (feature wise) to hide things if any module developer really wants to, compared to the old dumb and crappy "MagiskHide", haters still gonna hate 🤷
Yes, John actually continues to make the Magisk framework 'more capable of hiding things' despite what nay-sayers argue. He's both done us invaluable service and continues to do so.
John Wu, Oct 24

People calling me a traitor or imposter really disgusts me and makes me wonder why am I even spending time defending the community within Google.

I've been looped into so many conversations at Google for this, you have no idea what's happening behind the scenes.

If I'm really a traitor, why will I continue developing Magisk at all? I can also just directly submit code into to SafetyNet and specifically target and *$#@ over every single "hiding"modules out there. Do not tempt me.
Fair point? 😬

a "choice" for users to bypass detection and modification for apps and services that insist you don't root android ...would be great and probably in sprit of your current decisions.
I think it's pretty clear from the above that John won't be adding this (or old MagiskHide) back as it involves 'invasive methods' that 'attempt to manipulate other signals on the device', and as he said in his recent 'State of Magisk 2021' article
Having access to almost all Google source code (as all Googlers do) and spoken with various related teams, it simply does not make sense for me to be involved in any root hiding business as it is just straight up conflict of interest...

Magisk will not spoof/alter/manipulate any non-Magisk related signals or traces to circumvent any device state detection.

riddle me this... should they force me to unroot my phone? It's their choice that I shouldn't mess with their app but is it theirs to demand I either choose banking or modifications to ... my phone?
I discussed above how a chain-of-trust used by AVB and DM-Verity is broken if any such modification is made, including unlocking. Effectively there is no TEE any longer in which to execute code. Really, it's the security of the whole code execution environment that concerns them as it is precisely that that allows you / others to 'mess with' (hack) their app.

I've mentioned Google's stance on this here before:
Shawn Willden
(Tech Lead for Android hardware-backed security subsystems.), Mar 13, 2020

Some app developers want to know that their code runs in an unmodified environment, whose behavior is predictable. They can't have that assurance with ROMs that haven't passed CTS or that violate the security model.

The Android security team doesn't want to prevent the use of custom ROMs; we're actually quite supportive of that, and do a lot of work to ensure that remains possible. But it's reasonable to let app developers know about the nature of the platform they're running on.

I put a bit more here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85142583

And this has info on Googles own concessions to modders:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85136019

John / community has known that effective hiding days are numbered since Google first switched on the newer form of TEE, HK TEE attestation (Hardware Key based TEE) Seems we've been in a testing phase for some time, possibly already longer than expected due to OEMs like OnePlus botching required hardware implementation, but that the switch (aka BIG hammer) for enforcing hardware TEE (no more fallbacks to Basic attestation) could be thrown at any tick of the clock (aka final whistle / game over).

In the meantime (while SafetyNet attestation remains unreliable at best), banks / other parties are resorting to myriad 'custom' ways to detect untrusted (read any modified) environments ('root' in very loose sense) to prevent their code running in these.

A simple way to see the issue is to envisage GPay or bank apps set up to call GPay etc to make payments on such a device. You may think these are secure enough, but if stolen such a device can be a windfall for the unscrupulous; they can likely simply unlock the device using an active ADB (Android Debug Bridge) or installed TWRP and make payments (empty your bank account), access bank / other details etc... Banks want to protect you from now widespread fraud as well as to protect themselves from litigation etc. Also, they will often cover losses from such fraud for customers but need to ensure no doors are left open to abuse for obvious reasons at the same time as such costs are rising every day... There are many more reasons these institutions don't want their code running in untrusted environments (read on devices with any changes OS including bootloader and other partitions) also.

In summary, don't expect John to do any more re. hiding... He's done plenty.

Hopefully we'll see @kdrag0n and other skilled Devs passionate about hiding continue / start "doing their job"!

'Enjoy it while you can!' 😅 PW

Last edited:

Dwightsch

May 9, 2020
The reasoning really had not so much to do with root. Many apps will declare root / jailbreak if they detect any modification to TEE (Trusted Execution environment).

As such, Magisk / John / other devs and modders can do nothing to improve this without hiding / spoofing SafetyNet attestation to TEE, CTS (Compatibility Test Suite) result and Play Protect certification, or other flags indicating TEE has been modified.

However Tee is not broken by root; a 'chain of trust' is broken as soon as bootloader is unlocked these days (was different once), and new flags are set for non-verified boot. AVB (Android Verified Boot) and associated DM-Verity (device-mapper-verity kernel feature) have been added / improved since Android 4.4.
- https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot
- https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot/dm-verity

Magisk / root simply gives mods more permissions than the apps / processes that detect have to hide such traces.

Well actually denylist does work for such apps exactly as intended!

Further re. this John recently said:

So John states clearly that while he won't work on these personally, 'modules can either utilize the DenyList feature for "hiding" purposes or do everything needed for hiding prrposes tthemselves'. Such 'invasive methods (the only way to workaround HW KA.)' will need to be implemented by others and he says outright 'spending effort such on hide modules is much more productive than Magisk forks'. Earlier he even stated that these would be trivial to produce.

Unfortunately:

Yes, John actually continues to make the Magisk framework 'more capable of hiding things' despite what nay-sayers argue. He's both done us invaluable service and continues to do so.

Fair point? 😬

I think it's pretty clear from the above that John won't be adding this (or old MagiskHide) back as it involves 'invasive methods' that 'attempt to manipulate other signals on the device', and as he said in his recent 'State of Magisk 2021' article

I discussed above how a chain-of-trust used by AVB and DM-Verity is broken if any such modification is made, including unlocking. Effectively there is no TEE any longer in which to execute code. Really, it's the security of the whole code execution environment that concerns them as it is precisely that that allows you / others to 'mess with' (hack) their app.

I've mentioned Google's stance on this here before:

I put a bit more here:
[URLhttps://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85142583[/URL]

And this has info on Googles own concessions to modders:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85136019

John / community has known that effective hiding days are numbered since Google first switched on the newer form of TEE, HK TEE attestation (Hardware Key based TEE) Seems we've been in a testing phase for some time, possibly already longer than expected due to OEMs like OnePlus botching required hardware implementation, but that the switch (aka BIG hammer) for enforcing hardware TEE (no more fallbacks to Basic attestation) could be thrown at any tick of the clock (aka final whistle / game over).

In the meantime (while SafetyNet attestation remains unreliable at best), banks / other parties are resorting to myriad 'custom' ways to detect untrusted (read any modified) environments ('root' in very loose sense) to prevent their code running in these.

A simple way to see the issue is to envisage GPay or bank apps set up to call GPay etc to make payments on such a device. You may think these are secure enough, but if stolen such a device can be a windfall for the unscrupulous; they can likely simply unlock the device using an active ADB (Android Debug Bridge) or installed TWRP and make payments (empty your bank account), access bank / other details etc... Banks want to protect you from now widespread fraud as well as to protect themselves from litigation etc. Also, they will often cover losses from such fraud for customers but need to ensure no doors are left open to abuse for obvious reasons at the same time as such costs are rising every day... There are many more reasons these institutions don't want their code running in untrusted environments (read on devices with any changes OS including bootloader and other partitions) also.

In summary, don't expect John to do any more re. hiding... He's done plenty.

Hopefully we'll see @kdrag0n and other skilled Devs passionate about hiding continue / start "doing their job"!

'Enjoy it while you can!' 😅 PW
Hey PW, thank you very much for your detailed explanation.
Considering what you said about the "Chain of trust" and the HWK TEE, I guess the possible solution would be a Google and Android thing not really a Magisk thing. I Don't understand why this HW key based Execution Environment isn't a one to many Design? Like each process could request from a central TEE to be allocated a virtual TEE which is Specific to the app and should the process ask for no modification, the environment would be encrypted and signed based on that HW key system so no other process or execution could mess with it? I mean there must be an alternative distributed implementation of safety which doesn't sit at the gateway of the os and environment. So even if someone wanted to use adb or whatever and empty my bank they couldn't but they could for example change some visual behaviour in my launcher or run some independent process.
I mean i know Microsoft is employing the same trusted environment concept with the new release for windows and TPM2 and other requirements, but i really really hope it doesn't enforce it how Google seems to want to.
Plus there really really should be other considerations to a "secure" design from Google's perspective! Like imagine a device which Huawei or some other dictator-funded company designs, Does Google really want the users stuck with the supposed "Trusted execution environment" there? That's a much scarier and more catastrophic outcome rather than a simple solution to suspend your banking services when you lose your phone or other actual solutions.

BTW i live in this hole called "iran" sadly. The funny thing is that there is really no concern for security like there would be for Gpay or PayPal or whatever sophisticated service, in local banking or other services here.
They are often very poorly designed with decade old bugs and caveats since they're designed by some exclusive government funded mostly incompetent groups and they get to enforce I don't have certain apps installed or certain modifications done! I mean even now some apps forced to be used for remote education or banking or other devices that you will need weather you like it or not without competitive alternatives, demand your device not to be rooted, not have apps like telegram or signal or waze or adguard or vpn services and... Since they're possibly threats to the dictatorship...
I mean I suppose that's the globalist concensus and the survivalist powers follow like Google or Microsoft or they're actually the Designers of these ideologies like our genius friends have been at apple for decades...
Idk, after all I gotta educate more on these matters and implementations before complaining but believe me, the consequences will be there.
Other than that I got nothing but respect for Mr Johnwu and other active members of the android development community. Most of you have done more good and offered choice and freedom and... Than you can possibly imagine.
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: jons99

pndwal

Can't give specific help, but this app perfectly demonstrates my points in post above; clearly it is developed with serious security concerns. I found this information:
Mr. Hansen shares the most important security building blocks for mobile eID apps:

✓ They stop attackers from reverse-engineering or tampering with your eID apps to prevent repackaging and related attacks;

✓ Protect cryptographic keys and app data against prying eyes;

✓ Detect rooted and jailbroken devices that may put your mobile eID apps and end-users at risk; and they

✓ Establish the integrity of the app and device for trusted authentication of the end-user.
Reasons:
What About Safety and Security?
Fraudsters typically look for opportunities to attack on two sides: the client-side and the back-end. Organizations commonly have more control over the back-end side. By ensuring that infrastructure meets relevant security standards, they make successful attacks less likely. Mobile eID apps, however, reside on end-users’ mobile devices, which is an environment largely outside of the control of organizations. And despite efforts to secure the platform, citizens become the weak link.

The sensitive nature of unique identifiers such as passwords and social security numbers makes them an ideal target for malware. Malware can employ a plethora of techniques, all designed to find and exploit data in the eID apps they are targeting.

Tom Lysemose Hansen, CTO at Promon explains: «Cybercriminals use sophisticated tools to learn more about the inner workings of an eID app and its cryptographic key protection. Through these processes, hackers can plan their attack. By identifying entry vectors in an unprotected app, malware can steal sensitive user data through techniques such as keylogging and screenshots containing private password information. This approach, combined with efforts to steal cryptographic keys, make hackers a force to be reckoned with.»

Hackers also create malicious app software to compromise user data. This may result in cybercriminals exploiting weaknesses in the code of the eID app, enabling them to create a cloned (fake) version. Sensitive information can then be fetched and transmitted to the perpetrator’s server, which in turn can be used to carry out fraudulent activity.

Mr. Hansen believes mobile security threats like fake and malicious apps will become even more prevalent in 2019, with users increasingly subject to malicious activity pushing malware apps to their phones, tablets and other devices running Android and iOS.

According to research reports from G DATA Software in Germany, more than 3 million malicious apps have affected devices with Android operating systems during the first nine months of 2018. «There are more than 11,000 new malicious applications per day», Mr. Hansen says.
This and more:
https://promon.co/security-news/mobile-eid-in-app-protection/

There are many methods security-centric apps utilise to detect modified environment. This wiki covers many:
https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/HomePage

If you wish to persist, search back here for Riru-MomoHider and Riru-Unshare modules. The first may be most likely to help hide isolated processes.

I'd also try running with Magisk App (leave Magisk root) completely uninstalled (as a test) - some bank apps actually detect it even with App hidden! - report back here for pointers if this succeeds. PW

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Freja eid, a Swedish application.

Any version after 8.5.0 will either crash or throw an error message on my rooted phone.
Well, I installed your app (I'm not Swedish) and went with no issues up to the point to send my e-mail to your Gvmnt - there I stopped, I did not want to proceed

I had no crash or warning that phone is rooted, no issues

- A11
- Magisk Custom 23010 e4eeb23e (latest, based on latest TJW Canary but with MagiskHide instead of DenyList)
- Zygisk: No
- MagiskHide
- Riru
- Riru-Momohider hiding su from path
- Riru-LSposed
- Hide My Applist

- MagiskHide: Freja-eID enabled
- Hide My Applist: hiding Magisk app, LSPosed, GravityBox-R, CustoMIUIzer from Freja-eID

Probably some of the settings were too-much, but that was my setup and I used my template hiding 'risky' apps in HMA module

When hiding in MagiskApp and HMA were configured, I rebooted (paranoia) and only then first time opened the previously installed Freja-eID

Ref. also to:
Can't give specific help, but this app perfectly demonstrates my points in post above; clearly it is developed with serious security concerns. I found this information:

This reasons:

There are many methods security-centric apps utilise to detect modified environment. This wiki covers many:
https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/HomePage

If you wish to persist, search back here for Riru-MomoHider and Riru-Unshare modules. The first may be most likely to help hide isolated processes.

I'd also try running with Magisk App (leave Magisk root) completely uninstalled (as a test) - some bank apps actually detect it even with App hidden! - report back here for pointers if this succeeds. PW

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_161120.jpg
    IMG_20211028_161120.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_2021-10-28-15-57-15-156_com.verisec.mobile.frejaeid.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-28-15-57-15-156_com.verisec.mobile.frejaeid.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

pndwal

Hey PW, thank you very much for your detailed explanation.
Considering what you said about the "Chain of trust" and the HWK TEE, I guess the possible solution would be a Google and Android thing not really a Magisk thing. I Don't understand why this HW key based Execution Environment isn't a one to many Design? Like each process could request from a central TEE to be allocated a virtual TEE which is Specific to the app and should the process ask for no modification, the environment would be encrypted and signed based on that HW key system so no other process or execution could mess with it? I mean there must be an alternative distributed implementation of safety which doesn't sit at the gateway of the os and environment. So even if someone wanted to use adb or whatever and empty my bank they couldn't but they could for example change some visual behaviour in my launcher or run some independent process.
I mean i know Microsoft is employing the same trusted environment concept with the new release for windows and TPM2 and other requirements, but i really really hope it doesn't enforce it how Google seems to want to.
Plus there really really should be other considerations to a "secure" design from Google's perspective! Like imagine a device which Huawei or some other dictator-funded company designs, Does Google really want the users stuck with the supposed "Trusted execution environment" there? That's a much scarier and more catastrophic outcome rather than a simple solution to suspend your banking services when you lose your phone or other actual solutions.

BTW i live in this hole called "iran" sadly. The funny thing is that there is really no concern for security like there would be for Gpay or PayPal or whatever sophisticated service, in local banking or other services here.
They are often very poorly designed with decade old bugs and caveats since they're designed by some exclusive government funded mostly incompetent groups and they get to enforce I don't have certain apps installed or certain modifications done! I mean even now some apps forced to be used for remote education or banking or other devices that you will need weather you like it or not without competitive alternatives, demand your device not to be rooted, not have apps like telegram or signal or waze or adguard or vpn services and... Since they're possibly threats to the dictatorship...
I mean I suppose that's the globalist concensus and the survivalist powers follow like Google or Microsoft or they're actually the Designers of these ideologies like our genius friends have been at apple for decades...
Idk, after all I gotta educate more on these matters and implementations before complaining but believe me, the consequences will be there.
Other than that I got nothing but respect for Mr Johnwu and other active members of the android development community. Most of you have done more good and offered choice and freedom and... Than you can possibly imagine.
Cheers
A Google executive (?) recently called Magisk / modding community 'white-hat'. Unfortunately cybercriminal communities are definitely not, and are on the rise. The consequences are already here. Banks etc are partners with Google at least for GPay purposes, and IOS is seen by many corporate players as the more secure (or the only secure) mobile platform, so it stands to reason Google is keen to offer bulletproof TEE attestation, and that is HWKA.

Alternatives could be debated, but this model has been persued for some years now, and we may or may not be close to seeing full deployment. - Google have a vested interest; clearly the model chosen is to keep a guard at the gate, wake him up and ensure he cannot fall asleep...

It will also allow users to have root + any other custom mods they like while ensuring app providers get accurate device status info. in SafetyNet, exactly what Google wants, so why persue another model?

Windows 11 TPM2 seems to be a very similar hardware based concept:
TPM is short for Trusted Platform Module, and TPM 2.0 is the latest version of it. TPM is a particular type of processor that has a clear purpose. It'll perform hardware-based cryptographic operations to secure encryption and prevent malicious attacks from attacking your hardware and the boot process. - 30 June 2021
https://bgr.com/tech/how-to-check-windows-11-tpm-2-0-compatibility-on-your-pc/

Interesting it seems WSA doesn't (can't?) use this:
John Wu, Oct 22

WSA only implements software backed Keymaster. There is also no verified boot, no "root of trust" in the attestation

🤠 PW

Last edited:

abagm

Jun 22, 2018
Yup, it was a hurried / not fully considered reply. 🤪

I'm not a Sammy user so others will be better positioned to advise.

Seems John doesn't consider custom ROM variations on stock setup either.

Given the above, it seems you will need some of the sammy-specific methods since device is Android 9 LV. Eg, doubt you can use Fastboot, so must use Odin... I don't know if your custom Sammy ROM uses .tar files etc, or if "flash magisk_patched.tar as AP, together with BL, CP, and CSC (NOT HOME_CSC because we want to wipe data) from the original firmware" can be done with custom ROMs, but you may need to flash all ROM components (w/ patched boot image) in Odin incl. CSC or other method to wipe data for first root on Sammy (could be factory reset achieves same result w/ custom ROM?), I'm not sure.

Either way, look for clues to uniquely Sammy methods in John's instructions.

I'd read OP's in a few custom ROM threads for Sammy devices (information from threads for other models should help too); some are bound to give blow by blow root instructions... PW
Rooting works with magisk 23. I would just like to understand WHY not with the other apps/zips - what exactly causes the difference? Samsung it is not, I guess. Never before I had problems rooting samsung, never needed to follow John Wus guide so far. Maybe there is no plausible explanation -mysteries of machines...🎃 Thanks anyway!

Eng.Raman

Apr 13, 2014
Khanaqin
thanks. had done all that before posting. and, i'm hoping @Eng.Raman would respond if he has a different take on this.
As i experienced that it depends on which magisk version ( stable/alpha/canary/custom ) you have installed.
Most likely you will get the best test results with the version that has a DenyList / Zygisk off ( Especially alpha ).
My device passed all the test results even without DenyListed the Magisk Detector.

Important: Be aware that detecting init.tc modifications by Magisk Detector is not reliable (false-positive results):
Yes but the test result shouldn't be "modified" all the time. It is normal to alter between ( modified / No modification ). Anyway on the latest alpha-a3eafdd2 my test result is ( No trace of modification found ) all the time ( It was checked since yesterday till now ).

m0han

Apr 30, 2012
... depends on which magisk version....best test results with.... alpha.... on the latest alpha-a3eafdd2... (No trace of modification found) all the time...
i've got stuff working fine as of now. latest alpha, isolated+setns+initrc... thanks, everyone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028-231733_RootBeer_Sample.png
    Screenshot_20211028-231733_RootBeer_Sample.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20211028-231714_YASNAC.png
    Screenshot_20211028-231714_YASNAC.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20211028-231820_Magisk_Detector.png
    Screenshot_20211028-231820_Magisk_Detector.png
    113 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Eng.Raman

rodomb

Apr 30, 2013
Sierpc
Well, I installed your app (I'm not Swedish) and went with no issues up to the point to send my e-mail to your Gvmnt - there I stopped, I did not want to proceed

I had no crash or warning that phone is rooted, no issues

- A11
- Magisk Custom 30010 e4eeb23e (latest, based on latest TJW Canary but with MagiskHide instead of DenyList)
- Zygisk: No
- MagiskHide
- Riru
- Riru-Momohider hiding su from path
- Riru-LSposed
- Hide My Applist

- MagiskHide: Freja-eID enabled
- Hide My Applist: hiding Magisk app, LSPosed, GravityBox-R, CustoMIUIzer from Freja-eID

Probably some of the settings were too-much, but that was my setup and I used my template hiding 'risky' apps in HMA module

When hiding in MagiskApp and HMA were configured, I rebooted (paranoia) and only then first time opened the previously installed Freja-eID

Ref. also to:

How is possible to have MagiskHide in 23.0 version?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
How is possible to have MagiskHide in 23.0 version?
Please read again what I wrote:

"Magisk Custom 30010 e4eeb23e (latest, based on latest TJW Canary but with MagiskHide instead of DenyList)"

Ok, I made a typo, it had to be 23010

And there were EXTENSIVE discussions here about MagiskCustom and Magisk Alpha, derivatives of Magisk (hence not TJW's deliveries) where you can still use MagiskHide (and without Zygisk)

For example, you can find my post from cca 48 hrs ago, about testing exactly that same MagiskCustom e4eeb23e (and I'm still happily running that Magisk version)

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_213927.jpg
    IMG_20211028_213927.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20211028_214055.jpg
    IMG_20211028_214055.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Reactions: J.Michael
Is there a possibility that Magisk in its present configuration could be related to the device going into Rescue Party on certain devices running Android 12?

On the Pixel 4a, 5, 5a, and 6 series, dm-verity and vbmeta verification must be disabled in order to boot a patched boot image. This is only required on Android 12, and was the only requirement for permanent root on the 12 Beta.

However, with the 12 Stable release, we are seeing a new problem: with dm-verity and vbmeta verification disabled, the device will go into Rescue Party unless /data is wiped.

The only potential workaround for this, which seems to be hit or miss, is to sideload the OTA, then immediately enter fastboot and flash /vbmeta and /boot before rebooting post update.

This occurs regardless of version of Magisk used - 23000, 23001, 23010, 23011.

Any insights on this? I'm asking here because my understanding is that a corrupted ramdisk will send the device into Rescue Party. If vbmeta and stock boot image are flashed without any flags, the device will boot normally; interestingly, with stock vbmeta and boot, a patched boot image can be live booted via ADB for temporary root.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Another question: Is there a way to clean up a Magisk install without root? For some reason, even though my boot image is patched, Magisk reports no root. I suspect a signature mismatch or possibly ramdisk issue.
Very simple hint (and asked/answered) almost every day:

Look for your previous Magisk app/mngr, specially if you did "Hide Magisk app/mngr" back then

Find it in apps drawer or Settings/apps and uninstall that old app - recall the name you gave it when hiding, default was Settings)

Then reboot (and if necessary reinstall the new Magisk app)

PS: If I understood you properly (your screenshots would help), i.e. if you wanted to say that Magisk app declares that Magisk is not installed (N/A)

Very simple hint (and asked/answered) almost every day:

Look for your previous Magisk app/mngr, specially if you did "Hide Magisk app/mngr" back then

Find it in apps drawer or Settings/apps and uninstall that old app - recall the name you gave it when hiding, default was Settings)

Then reboot (and if necessary reinstall the new Magisk app)

PS: If I understood you properly (your screenshots would help), i.e. if you wanted to say that Magisk app declares that Magisk is not installed (N/A)
I did not hide the Magisk app; I believe I'm dealing with a ramdisk issue that's causing other problems on my device.

I ended up wiping due to those other problems so I guess it's moot for now

• Haha
Reactions: ipdev

jnshk

Jan 20, 2014
I don't think ownership or permissions are your current problem.

The one time I made a "module" to replace some files, I got the permissions / ownership wrong the first time. What I wanted did not work, but the file structure got overlaid -- I could see the files where I wanted them. In fact, when I corrected the permissions under /data/adb/modules/mymodule, the new permissions were immediately visible in the /system tree -- I did not have to reboot.

I don't remember having to "enable modules". Are you sure you have Magisk installed? What does the Magisk Manager app say?
Magisk reports itself as installed and up-to-date. Root detector indicates the device is rooted. And apps that require root authorization to perform certain tasks are able to do so.

20211023_131136.jpg

@jnshk I haven't seen you post a single Magisk log. That will probably better show what's going on.
I exported a log file today. Is this what we're looking for or is there a different log that I need to capture/export?

EDIT: I have appended the log with the rest of the information. For some reason copy+paste truncated it.

Code:
---System Properties---

[UserVolumeLabel]: [RockChips]
[apexd.status]: [ready]
[bluetooth.enable_timeout_ms]: [11000]
[bpf.progs_loaded]: [1]
[bt.goc.type]: [13]
[dalvik.vm.appimageformat]: [lz4]
[dalvik.vm.dex2oat-Xms]: [64m]
[dalvik.vm.dex2oat-Xmx]: [512m]
[dalvik.vm.dex2oat-max-image-block-size]: [524288]
[dalvik.vm.dex2oat-minidebuginfo]: [true]
[dalvik.vm.dex2oat-resolve-startup-strings]: [true]
[dalvik.vm.dexopt.secondary]: [true]
[dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit]: [192m]
[dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree]: [8m]
[dalvik.vm.heapminfree]: [512k]
[dalvik.vm.heapsize]: [512m]
[dalvik.vm.heapstartsize]: [16m]
[dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization]: [0.75]
[dalvik.vm.image-dex2oat-Xms]: [64m]
[dalvik.vm.image-dex2oat-Xmx]: [64m]
[dalvik.vm.isa.arm.features]: [default]
[dalvik.vm.isa.arm.variant]: [cortex-a15]
[dalvik.vm.isa.arm64.features]: [default]
[dalvik.vm.isa.arm64.variant]: [cortex-a53]
[dalvik.vm.lockprof.threshold]: [500]
[dalvik.vm.minidebuginfo]: [true]
[dalvik.vm.usejit]: [true]
[dalvik.vm.usejitprofiles]: [true]
[debug.atrace.tags.enableflags]: [0]
[debug.force_rtl]: [false]
[debug.nfc.fw_download]: [false]
[debug.nfc.se]: [false]
[dev.bootcomplete]: [1]
[dev.mnt.blk.mnt.scratch]: [dm-4]
[dev.mnt.blk.odm]: [dm-3]
[dev.mnt.blk.product]: [dm-2]
[dev.mnt.blk.root]: [dm-0]
[dev.mnt.blk.vendor]: [dm-1]
[drm.service.enabled]: [true]
[hct.appwm.ploy]: [0]
[hct.dangle.type]: [NL668]
[hct.hub.sta]: [1]
[hct.mic.feedback]: [false]
[hwservicemanager.ready]: [true]
[init.svc.FYJBy7Dgw70ib]: [stopped]
[init.svc.NURe5ZbV6YfK0q]: [stopped]
[init.svc.QHbCNpw]: [stopped]
[init.svc.adbd]: [running]
[init.svc.adbec]: [running]
[init.svc.apexd]: [running]
[init.svc.apexd-bootstrap]: [stopped]
[init.svc.ashmemd]: [running]
[init.svc.audioserver]: [running]
[init.svc.bootanim]: [stopped]
[init.svc.bpfloader]: [stopped]
[init.svc.cameraserver]: [running]
[init.svc.console]: [running]
[init.svc.drm]: [running]
[init.svc.fscsdkbw123]: [running]
[init.svc.gatekeeperd]: [running]
[init.svc.gpu]: [running]
[init.svc.gsid]: [stopped]
[init.svc.health-hal-2-0]: [running]
[init.svc.hidl_memory]: [running]
[init.svc.hwservicemanager]: [running]
[init.svc.idmap2d]: [stopped]
[init.svc.incidentd]: [running]
[init.svc.installd]: [running]
[init.svc.iorapd]: [stopped]
[init.svc.keystore]: [running]
[init.svc.lmkd]: [running]
[init.svc.logd]: [running]
[init.svc.logd-auditctl]: [stopped]
[init.svc.logd-reinit]: [stopped]
[init.svc.mdnsd]: [running]
[init.svc.media]: [running]
[init.svc.media.swcodec]: [running]
[init.svc.mediadrm]: [running]
[init.svc.mediaextractor]: [running]
[init.svc.mediametrics]: [running]
[init.svc.mtc_mfi_service]: [running]
[init.svc.netd]: [running]
[init.svc.rockchip.drmservice]: [stopped]
[init.svc.servicemanager]: [running]
[init.svc.statsd]: [running]
[init.svc.storaged]: [running]
[init.svc.surfaceflinger]: [running]
[init.svc.system_suspend]: [running]
[init.svc.tee-supplicant]: [running]
[init.svc.tombstoned]: [running]
[init.svc.ueventd]: [running]
[init.svc.usb_dongle]: [running]
[init.svc.usbd]: [stopped]
[init.svc.vendor.audio-hal-2-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.bluetooth-1-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.camera-provider-2-4]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.camera-provider-2-4-ext]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.cas-hal-1-1]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.drm-clearkey-hal-1-2]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.drm-hal-1-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.drm-widevine-hal-1-2]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.gatekeeper-1-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.gnss_service]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.gralloc-2-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.hwcomposer-2-1]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.insmod_sh]: [stopped]
[init.svc.vendor.keymaster-3-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.light-hal-2-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.media.omx]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.memtrack-hal-1-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.move_data_sh]: [stopped]
[init.svc.vendor.power-hal-1-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.ril-daemon]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.rockit-hal-1-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.sensors-hal-1-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.weaver-hal-1-0]: [running]
[init.svc.vendor.wifi_hal_legacy]: [running]
[init.svc.vndservicemanager]: [running]
[init.svc.vold]: [running]
[init.svc.wificond]: [running]
[init.svc.wpa_supplicant]: [running]
[init.svc.zygote]: [running]
[init.svc.zygote_secondary]: [running]
[keyguard.no_require_sim]: [true]
[log.tag.APM_AudioPolicyManager]: [D]
[log.tag.WifiHAL]: [D]
[log.tag.stats_log]: [I]
[logd.logpersistd.enable]: [true]
[net.bt.name]: [Android]
[net.dns1]: [192.168.43.1]
[net.dns2]: []
[net.qtaguid_enabled]: [1]
[net.tcp.default_init_rwnd]: [60]
[odm.kernel.version]: []
[persist.adb.tcp.port]: [5555]
[persist.bluetooth.btsnoopdefaultmode]: []
[persist.bluetooth.btsnoopenable]: [false]
[persist.bluetooth.btsnooppath]: [/sdcard/btsnoop_hci.cfa]
[persist.bluetooth.btsnoopsize]: [0xffff]
[persist.bluetooth.rtkcoex]: [true]
[persist.debug.dalvik.vm.core_platform_api_policy]: [just-warn]
[persist.device_config.activity_manager_native_boot._boot_Phenotype_flags]: []
[persist.device_config.activity_manager_native_boot.offload_queue_enabled]: []
[persist.device_config.attempted_boot_count]: [0]
[persist.device_config.input_native_boot._boot_Phenotype_flags]: []
[persist.device_config.media_native.Phenotype_flags]: []
[persist.device_config.netd_native.dns_event_subsample_map]: []
[persist.device_config.netd_native.dot_async_handshake]: []
[persist.device_config.netd_native.dot_connect_timeout_ms]: []
[persist.device_config.netd_native.dot_maxtries]: []
[persist.device_config.netd_native.dot_query_timeout_ms]: []
[persist.device_config.netd_native.keep_listening_udp]: []
[persist.device_config.netd_native.parallel_lookup]: []
[persist.device_config.netd_native.parallel_lookup_sleep_time]: []
[persist.device_config.runtime_native.Phenotype_flags]: []
[persist.device_config.runtime_native.use_app_image_startup_cache]: []
[persist.device_config.runtime_native_boot._boot_Phenotype_flags]: []
[persist.device_config.runtime_native_boot.disable_lock_profiling]: []
[persist.display.landspace]: [true]
[persist.enable_task_snapshots]: [false]
[persist.netd.stable_secret]: [97e6:f760:d340:d139:e347:a6:721e:ad14]
[persist.product.mcuversion]: [MTCE_HA_V3.78_4]
[persist.product.shownavbar]: [false]
[persist.sys.boot.reason]: []
[persist.sys.boot.reason.history]: [reboot,1635453629
reboot,1635442253
reboot,1635441401
reboot,1635421645]
[persist.sys.bt.support.map]: [true]
[persist.sys.bt.ver]: [BVZJ2301FEIYITONG]
[persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib.2]: [libart.so]
[persist.sys.device_provisioned]: [1]
[persist.sys.displayinset.top]: [0]
[persist.sys.first_booting]: [false]
[persist.sys.isolated_storage]: [true]
[persist.sys.phone.auto.connection]: [zlink]
[persist.sys.rotation.efull]: [true]
[persist.sys.strictmode.visual]: [false]
[persist.sys.timezone]: [America/Chicago]
[persist.sys.usb.config]: [adb]
[persist.sys.zj.bt]: [00:E0:4C:23:99:87]
[persist.sys.zlink.hw.modelId]: [00040900btQCC5120wfBCM6338]
[persist.sys.zlink.mode.registed]: [wla]
[persist.sys.zram_enabled]: [1]
[persist.tegra.nvmmlite]: [1]
[persist.vendor.camera.debug.logfile]: [0]
[persist.vendor.sys.hid]: []
[pm.dexopt.ab-ota]: [speed-profile]
[pm.dexopt.bg-dexopt]: [speed-profile]
[pm.dexopt.boot]: [verify]
[pm.dexopt.first-boot]: [quicken]
[pm.dexopt.inactive]: [verify]
[pm.dexopt.install]: [speed-profile]
[pm.dexopt.shared]: [speed]
[rf.product.recentshow]: [false]
[ril.fibocom.version]: [Fibocom_RIL_V10X.01.19]
[ril.function.dataonly]: [1]
[rild.libargs]: [-d /dev/ttyACM0]
[rild.libpath]: [/vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so]
[ro.actionable_compatible_property.enabled]: [true]
[ro.allow.mock.location]: [0]
[ro.apex.updatable]: [true]
[ro.app.rotation]: [0]
[ro.audio.monitorOrientation]: [true]
[ro.baseband]: [N/A]
[ro.bionic.2nd_arch]: [arm]
[ro.bionic.2nd_cpu_variant]: [cortex-a15]
[ro.bionic.arch]: [arm64]
[ro.bionic.cpu_variant]: [cortex-a53]
[ro.bionic.ld.warning]: [1]
[ro.board.platform]: [rk3399]
[ro.boot.baseband]: [N/A]
[ro.boot.boot_devices]: [fe330000.sdhci]
[ro.boot.bootreason]: [reboot]
[ro.boot.console]: [ttyFIQ0]
[ro.boot.copy_oem]: [true]
[ro.boot.dtbo_idx]: [0]
[ro.boot.dynamic_partitions]: [true]
[ro.boot.flash.locked]: [0]
[ro.boot.hardware]: [rk30board]
[ro.boot.mode]: [normal]
[ro.boot.noril]: [false]
[ro.boot.selinux]: [permissive]
[ro.boot.serialno]: [a2b9325e797a749]
[ro.boot.slot_suffix]: []
[ro.boot.storagemedia]: [emmc]
[ro.boot.verifiedbootstate]: [orange]
[ro.boot.veritymode]: [enforcing]
[ro.boot.vr]: [0]
[ro.boot.wificountrycode]: [US]
[ro.bootimage.build.date]: [Thu Jul 22 18:47:52 CST 2021]
[ro.bootimage.build.date.utc]: [1626950872]
[ro.bootimage.build.fingerprint]: [rockchip/rk3399/rk3399:10/QQ2A.200305.004.A1/hct07221847:userdebug/test-keys]
[ro.bootloader]: [unknown]
[ro.bootmode]: [normal]
[ro.boottime.FYJBy7Dgw70ib]: [4874751585]
[ro.boottime.NURe5ZbV6YfK0q]: [15826967965]
[ro.boottime.QHbCNpw]: [5845044377]
[ro.boottime.adbd]: [5757865210]
[ro.boottime.adbec]: [15996224048]
[ro.boottime.apexd]: [4421585751]
[ro.boottime.apexd-bootstrap]: [3192451001]
[ro.boottime.ashmemd]: [5507473543]
[ro.boottime.audioserver]: [5511315668]
[ro.boottime.bootanim]: [3997305584]
[ro.boottime.bpfloader]: [5768092210]
[ro.boottime.cameraserver]: [5770239460]
[ro.boottime.console]: [5755410252]
[ro.boottime.drm]: [5772868835]
[ro.boottime.fscsdkbw123]: [14678943715]
[ro.boottime.gatekeeperd]: [5848952419]
[ro.boottime.gpu]: [5516137793]
[ro.boottime.gsid]: [50019953398]
[ro.boottime.health-hal-2-0]: [5468059752]
[ro.boottime.hidl_memory]: [5411700418]
[ro.boottime.hwservicemanager]: [3573772168]
[ro.boottime.idmap2d]: [5775114669]
[ro.boottime.incidentd]: [5778388627]
[ro.boottime.init]: [2306]
[ro.boottime.init.cold_boot_wait]: [0]
[ro.boottime.init.mount_all.early]: [264]
[ro.boottime.init.mount_all.late]: [238]
[ro.boottime.init.selinux]: [141]
[ro.boottime.installd]: [5781257460]
[ro.boottime.keystore]: [5783741002]
[ro.boottime.lmkd]: [5525657502]
[ro.boottime.logd]: [3566640459]
[ro.boottime.logd-auditctl]: [15872610007]
[ro.boottime.logd-reinit]: [5314756543]
[ro.boottime.mdnsd]: [5943872794]
[ro.boottime.media]: [5799762835]
[ro.boottime.media.swcodec]: [5835488210]
[ro.boottime.mediadrm]: [5787557460]
[ro.boottime.mediaextractor]: [5790301460]
[ro.boottime.mediametrics]: [5792871919]
[ro.boottime.mtc_mfi_service]: [5480646335]
[ro.boottime.netd]: [5345993752]
[ro.boottime.rockchip.drmservice]: [5821641627]
[ro.boottime.servicemanager]: [3570062168]
[ro.boottime.statsd]: [5803485960]
[ro.boottime.storaged]: [5811700169]
[ro.boottime.surfaceflinger]: [3994151501]
[ro.boottime.system_suspend]: [5414332710]
[ro.boottime.tee-supplicant]: [3986037334]
[ro.boottime.tombstoned]: [5854330460]
[ro.boottime.ueventd]: [3189858959]
[ro.boottime.usb_dongle]: [5829313335]
[ro.boottime.usbd]: [5858401835]
[ro.boottime.vendor.audio-hal-2-0]: [5417273293]
[ro.boottime.vendor.bluetooth-1-0]: [5420361168]
[ro.boottime.vendor.camera-provider-2-4]: [5426826543]
[ro.boottime.vendor.camera-provider-2-4-ext]: [5423399168]
[ro.boottime.vendor.cas-hal-1-1]: [5429979752]
[ro.boottime.vendor.drm-clearkey-hal-1-2]: [5438259293]
[ro.boottime.vendor.drm-hal-1-0]: [5433370960]
[ro.boottime.vendor.drm-widevine-hal-1-2]: [5441462960]
[ro.boottime.vendor.gatekeeper-1-0]: [5444786793]
[ro.boottime.vendor.gnss_service]: [5451584377]
[ro.boottime.vendor.gralloc-2-0]: [5455787877]
[ro.boottime.vendor.hwcomposer-2-1]: [5464878835]
[ro.boottime.vendor.insmod_sh]: [3487832334]
[ro.boottime.vendor.keymaster-3-0]: [3990581209]
[ro.boottime.vendor.light-hal-2-0]: [5473805585]
[ro.boottime.vendor.media.omx]: [5818159419]
[ro.boottime.vendor.memtrack-hal-1-0]: [5477208460]
[ro.boottime.vendor.move_data_sh]: [5870272377]
[ro.boottime.vendor.power-hal-1-0]: [5485760418]
[ro.boottime.vendor.ril-daemon]: [5825042460]
[ro.boottime.vendor.rockit-hal-1-0]: [5502476710]
[ro.boottime.vendor.sensors-hal-1-0]: [5489580377]
[ro.boottime.vendor.weaver-hal-1-0]: [5494064460]
[ro.boottime.vendor.wifi_hal_legacy]: [5497643793]
[ro.boottime.vndservicemanager]: [3578260626]
[ro.boottime.vold]: [3615142751]
[ro.boottime.wificond]: [5815542294]
[ro.boottime.wpa_supplicant]: [24148896677]
[ro.boottime.zygote]: [5348561002]
[ro.boottime.zygote_secondary]: [5351218668]
[ro.bt.bdaddr_path]: [/data/misc/bluetooth/bdaddr]
[ro.build.characteristics]: [tablet]
[ro.build.date]: [Thu Jul 22 18:47:52 CST 2021]
[ro.build.date.utc]: [1626950872]
[ro.build.description]: [rk3399-userdebug 10 QQ2A.200305.004.A1 eng.hct.20210722.184901 test-keys]
[ro.build.display.id]: [rk3399-userdebug 10 QQ2A.200305.004.A1 eng.hct.20210722.184901 test-keys]
[ro.build.fingerprint]: [rockchip/rk3399/rk3399:10/QQ2A.200305.004.A1/eng.hct.20210722.184901:userdebug/test-keys]
[ro.build.flavor]: [rk3399-userdebug]
[ro.build.host]: [r930]
[ro.build.id]: [QQ2A.200305.004.A1]
[ro.build.product]: [rk3399]
[ro.build.shutdown_timeout]: [0]
[ro.build.tags]: [test-keys]
[ro.build.type]: [userdebug]
[ro.build.user]: [hct]
[ro.build.version.all_codenames]: [REL]
[ro.build.version.base_os]: []
[ro.build.version.codename]: [REL]
[ro.build.version.incremental]: [eng.hct.20210722.184901]
[ro.build.version.min_supported_target_sdk]: [23]
[ro.build.version.preview_sdk]: [0]
[ro.build.version.preview_sdk_fingerprint]: [REL]
[ro.build.version.release]: [10]
[ro.build.version.sdk]: [29]
[ro.build.version.security_patch]: [2020-05-05]
[ro.carrier]: [unknown]
[ro.com.android.dataroaming]: [true]
[ro.com.google.gmsversion]: [10_201910]
[ro.config.alarm_alert]: [Oxygen.ogg]
[ro.config.enable.remotecontrol]: [false]
[ro.config.notification_sound]: [pixiedust.ogg]
[ro.config.ringtone]: [Ring_Synth_04.ogg]
[ro.cpuvulkan.version]: [4198400]
[ro.crypto.state]: [encrypted]
[ro.crypto.type]: [file]
[ro.dalvik.vm.native.bridge]: [0]
[ro.debuggable]: [1]
[ro.default.size]: [100]
[ro.device_owner]: [false]
[ro.dts.version]: [V1]
[ro.enable_boot_charger_mode]: [0]
[ro.factory.hasGPS]: [true]
[ro.factory.hasUMS]: [false]
[ro.factory.storage_suppntfs]: [true]
[ro.factory.tool]: [0]
[ro.factory.without_battery]: [false]
[ro.flash_img.enable]: [false]
[ro.gsid.image_running]: [0]
[ro.hardware]: [rk30board]
[ro.hardware.egl]: [mali]
[ro.hwui.use_vulkan]: []
[ro.iorapd.enable]: [false]
[ro.kernel.android.checkjni]: [0]
[ro.logd.kernel]: [1]
[ro.logd.size.stats]: [64K]
[ro.minui.default_rotation]: [ROTATION_NONE]
[ro.minui.pixel_format]: [RGBX_8888]
[ro.odm.build.date]: [Thu Jul 22 18:47:52 CST 2021]
[ro.odm.build.date.utc]: [1626950872]
[ro.odm.build.fingerprint]: [rockchip/rk3399/rk3399:10/QQ2A.200305.004.A1/hct07221847:userdebug/test-keys]
[ro.odm.build.id]: [QQ2A.200305.004.A1]
[ro.odm.build.tags]: [test-keys]
[ro.odm.build.type]: [userdebug]
[ro.odm.build.version.incremental]: [eng.hct.20210722.184901]
[ro.odm.build.version.release]: [10]
[ro.odm.build.version.sdk]: [29]
[ro.odm.product.cpu.abilist]: [arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.odm.product.cpu.abilist32]: [armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.odm.product.cpu.abilist64]: [arm64-v8a]
[ro.oem_unlock_supported]: [1]
[ro.opa.eligible_device]: [true]
[ro.opengles.version]: [196610]
[ro.otg.port]: [7]
[ro.persistent_properties.ready]: [true]
[ro.postinstall.fstab.prefix]: [/system]
[ro.product.aispeech.asr]: [false]
[ro.product.autotime]: [1]
[ro.product.backviewvol]: [0]
[ro.product.barbacklight]: [null]
[ro.product.board]: [rk30sdk]
[ro.product.brand]: [rockchip]
[ro.product.brightnessmode]: [null]
[ro.product.btthreewaycall]: [false]
[ro.product.build.date]: [Thu Jul 22 18:47:52 CST 2021]
[ro.product.build.date.utc]: [1626950872]
[ro.product.build.fingerprint]: [rockchip/rk3399/rk3399:10/QQ2A.200305.004.A1/hct07221847:userdebug/test-keys]
[ro.product.build.id]: [QQ2A.200305.004.A1]
[ro.product.build.tags]: [test-keys]
[ro.product.build.type]: [userdebug]
[ro.product.build.version.incremental]: [eng.hct.20210722.184901]
[ro.product.build.version.release]: [10]
[ro.product.build.version.sdk]: [29]
[ro.product.cartouch.show]: [0]
[ro.product.cpu.abi]: [arm64-v8a]
[ro.product.cpu.abilist]: [arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.product.cpu.abilist32]: [armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.product.cpu.abilist64]: [arm64-v8a]
[ro.product.customer]: [HA]
[ro.product.customer.sub]: [HA3]
[ro.product.dateformat]: [null]
[ro.product.defaultlauncher]: [null]
[ro.product.device]: [rk3399]
[ro.product.disCarNotifi]: [false]
[ro.product.drivingoverspeed]: [false]
[ro.product.drvingsafe]: [null]
[ro.product.dspconfig]: [null]
[ro.product.dspmode]: [null]
[ro.product.dspversion]: [null]
[ro.product.dualhome.mode]: [0]
[ro.product.first_api_level]: [29]
[ro.product.gpsmix]: [null]
[ro.product.gpsphone]: [null]
[ro.product.gpspkname]: [null]
[ro.product.gpsswitch]: [null]
[ro.product.gpstime]: [1]
[ro.product.hostname]: [Android]
[ro.product.instruction]: [PDF]
[ro.product.isshowbtvoiceico]: [true]
[ro.product.keycustomeq9]: [null]
[ro.product.locale]: [en-US]
[ro.product.manufacturer]: [rockchip]
[ro.product.manufacturer9]: [HengChangTong]
[ro.product.market.mode]: [0]
[ro.product.media.uimode]: [0]
[ro.product.model]: [PX6]
[ro.product.model9]: [H660000]
[ro.product.musicautoplay]: [null]
[ro.product.name]: [rk3399]
[ro.product.odm.brand]: [rockchip]
[ro.product.odm.device]: [rk3399]
[ro.product.odm.manufacturer]: [rockchip]
[ro.product.odm.model]: [PX6]
[ro.product.odm.name]: [rk3399]
[ro.product.ota.host]: [www.rockchip.com:2300]
[ro.product.pip.show]: [0]
[ro.product.powerdelay]: [null]
[ro.product.product.brand]: [rockchip]
[ro.product.product.device]: [rk3399]
[ro.product.product.manufacturer]: [rockchip]
[ro.product.product.model]: [PX6]
[ro.product.product.name]: [rk3399]
[ro.product.rearui]: [1]
[ro.product.rotate]: [false]
[ro.product.rotatemode]: [0]
[ro.product.screenclock]: [true]
[ro.product.screentimeout]: [null]
[ro.product.sdcardswap]: [true]
[ro.product.shieldsd]: [false]
[ro.product.system.brand]: [rockchip]
[ro.product.system.device]: [rk3399]
[ro.product.system.manufacturer]: [rockchip]
[ro.product.system.model]: [PX6]
[ro.product.system.name]: [rk3399]
[ro.product.time_24]: [null]
[ro.product.txz.asr]: [null]
[ro.product.usbfactory]: [rockchip_usb]
[ro.product.vendor.brand]: [rockchip]
[ro.product.vendor.device]: [rk3399]
[ro.product.vendor.manufacturer]: [rockchip]
[ro.product.vendor.model]: [PX6]
[ro.product.vendor.name]: [rk3399]
[ro.product.version]: [1.0.0]
[ro.product.videogesture]: [false]
[ro.product.voicesearch]: [false]
[ro.product.volchannelgain]: [false]
[ro.product.weatherhost]: [yahoo]
[ro.property_service.version]: [2]
[ro.revision]: [0]
[ro.ril.ecclist]: [112,911]
[ro.rk.LowBatteryBrightness]: [false]
[ro.rk.MassStorage]: [false]
[ro.rk.bt_enable]: [true]
[ro.rk.def_brightness]: [200]
[ro.rk.flash_enable]: [true]
[ro.rk.hdmi_enable]: [true]
[ro.rk.homepage_base]: [http://www.google.com/webhp?client={CID}&source=android-home]
[ro.rk.install_non_market_apps]: [false]
[ro.rk.screenoff_time]: [60000]
[ro.rk.screenshot_enable]: [true]
[ro.rk.systembar.tabletUI]: [false]
[ro.rk.systembar.voiceicon]: [true]
[ro.rksdk.version]: [RK30_ANDROID10-SDK-v1.00.00]
[ro.runtime.firstboot]: [1635453671114]
[ro.safemode.disabled]: [true]
[ro.secure]: [1]
[ro.serialno]: [D56C750A91AB9E85]
[ro.setupwizard.rotation_locked]: [true]
[ro.sf.fakerotation]: [false]
[ro.sf.hwrotation]: [0]
[ro.sf.lcd_density]: [240]
[ro.system.build.date]: [Thu Jul 22 18:47:52 CST 2021]
[ro.system.build.date.utc]: [1626950872]
[ro.system.build.fingerprint]: [rockchip/rk3399/rk3399:10/QQ2A.200305.004.A1/hct07221847:userdebug/test-keys]
[ro.system.build.id]: [QQ2A.200305.004.A1]
[ro.system.build.tags]: [test-keys]
[ro.system.build.type]: [userdebug]
[ro.system.build.version.incremental]: [eng.hct.20210722.184901]
[ro.system.build.version.release]: [10]
[ro.system.build.version.sdk]: [29]
[ro.target.product]: [tablet]
[ro.tee.storage]: [rkss]
[ro.tether.denied]: [false]
[ro.treble.enabled]: [true]
[ro.vendor.build.date]: [Thu Jul 22 18:47:52 CST 2021]
[ro.vendor.build.date.utc]: [1626950872]
[ro.vendor.build.fingerprint]: [rockchip/rk3399/rk3399:10/QQ2A.200305.004.A1/hct07221847:userdebug/test-keys]
[ro.vendor.build.id]: [QQ2A.200305.004.A1]
[ro.vendor.build.security_patch]: [2020-05-05]
[ro.vendor.build.tags]: [test-keys]
[ro.vendor.build.type]: [userdebug]
[ro.vendor.build.version.incremental]: [eng.hct.20210722.184901]
[ro.vendor.build.version.release]: [10]
[ro.vendor.build.version.sdk]: [29]
[ro.vendor.ethernet_settings]: [true]
[ro.vendor.product.cpu.abilist]: [arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.vendor.product.cpu.abilist32]: [armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.vendor.product.cpu.abilist64]: [arm64-v8a]
[ro.vendor.udisk.visible]: [true]
[ro.vndk.version]: [29]
[ro.wifi.channels]: []
[ro.zygote]: [zygote64_32]
[rw.zlink.foreground.donotreqaf]: [1]
[security.perf_harden]: [1]
[selinux.restorecon_recursive]: [/data/misc_ce/0]
[service.adbec.enable]: [1]
[service.bootanim.exit]: [1]
[service.sf.present_timestamp]: [0]
[service.usbmuxd.enable]: [1]
[setupwizard.theme]: [glif_v3_light]
[sf.power.control]: [2073600]
[sys.boot.reason]: [reboot]
[sys.boot.reason.last]: [reboot]
[sys.boot_completed]: [1]
[sys.car.reverse]: [2]
[sys.carbit.tun]: [off]
[sys.gmali.version]: [[email protected]]
[sys.hwc.device.extend]: [HDMI-A,DP]
[sys.hwc.device.primary]: [DSI]
[sys.isolated_storage_snapshot]: [true]
[sys.lmk.minfree_levels]: [18432:0,23040:100,27648:200,32256:250,55296:900,80640:950]
[sys.logbootcomplete]: [1]
[sys.rescue_boot_count]: [1]
[sys.resolution.changed]: [false]
[sys.retaildemo.enabled]: [0]
[sys.rkadb.root]: [0]
[sys.ship.package]: [com.topjohnwu.magisk]
[sys.ship.video]: [0]
[sys.status.hidebar_enable]: [false]
[sys.sysctl.extra_free_kbytes]: [10800]
[sys.sysctl.tcp_def_init_rwnd]: [60]
[sys.system_server.start_count]: [1]
[sys.system_server.start_elapsed]: [9121]
[sys.system_server.start_uptime]: [9121]
[sys.usb.config]: [adb]
[sys.usb.configfs]: [1]
[sys.usb.controller]: [fe800000.dwc3]
[sys.usb.ffs.ready]: [1]
[sys.usb.mtp.device_type]: [3]
[sys.usb.state]: [adb]
[sys.use_memfd]: [false]
[sys.user.0.ce_available]: [true]
[sys.wallpaper.rgb565]: [0]
[sys.wifitracing.started]: [1]
[testing.mediascanner.skiplist]: [/mnt/shell/emulated/Android/]
[tombstoned.max_tombstone_count]: [50]
[vendor.all.modules.ready]: [1]
[vendor.bluetooth.channel]: [/dev/ttyS1]
[vendor.blueware.sw.ver]: [T195239_20210601_563]
[vendor.cam.hal3.ver]: [v2.1.0]
[vendor.cam.librkisp.aec.ver]: [v0.0.e]
[vendor.cam.librkisp.af.ver]: [v0.2.17]
[vendor.cam.librkisp.awb.ver]: [v0.0.f]
[vendor.cam.librkisp.ver]: [v2.3.0]
[vendor.ghwc.commit]: [commit-id:85660af]
[vendor.ghwc.version]: [0.64-rk3399-MID]
[vendor.gps.channel]: [/dev/ttyS0]
[vendor.hwc.compose_policy]: [6]
[vendor.hwc.device.aux]: []
[vendor.hwc.device.main]: [DSI]
[vendor.mcuid]: [D56C750A91AB9E85]
[vendor.rild.libargs]: [-d /dev/ttyACM0]
[vendor.rild.libpath]: [/vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so]
[vendor.rtkbt.conf_path]: [/data/feasycom/]
[vendor.security.tee_supplicant]: [1]
[vendor.serialno]: [D56C750A91AB9E85]
[vendor.wifi.direct.interface]: [p2p0]
[vendor.wifi.state]: [connected]
[vold.has_adoptable]: [1]
[vold.has_quota]: [1]
[vold.has_reserved]: [1]
[vold.post_fs_data_done]: [1]
[wifi.active.interface]: [wlan0]
[wifi.direct.interface]: [p2p0]
[wifi.interface]: [wlan0]
[wifi.supplicant_scan_interval]: [15]
[wlan.driver.status]: [ok]

---Magisk Logs---
23.0 (23000)

10-29 04:40:28.746   263   263 I : Magisk 23.0(23000) daemon started
10-29 04:40:28.751   263   263 I : * Device API level: 29
10-29 04:40:28.770   263   265 I : ** post-fs-data mode running
10-29 04:40:28.770   263   265 I : * Mounting mirrors
10-29 04:40:28.770   263   265 I : link: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/metadata
10-29 04:40:28.771   263   265 E : mount /sbin/.magisk/block/vendor->/sbin/.magisk/mirror/vendor failed with 6: No such device or address
10-29 04:40:28.771   263   265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/vendor
10-29 04:40:28.772   263   265 E : mount /sbin/.magisk/block/product->/sbin/.magisk/mirror/product failed with 6: No such device or address
10-29 04:40:28.772   263   265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/product
10-29 04:40:28.772   263   265 I : link: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/cache
10-29 04:40:28.772   263   265 E : mount /sbin/.magisk/block/system->/sbin/.magisk/mirror/system failed with 22: Invalid argument
10-29 04:40:28.773   263   265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/system
10-29 04:40:28.773   263   265 E : mount /sbin/.magisk/block/vendor->/sbin/.magisk/mirror/vendor failed with 22: Invalid argument
10-29 04:40:28.773   263   265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/vendor
10-29 04:40:28.775   263   265 E : mount /sbin/.magisk/block/product->/sbin/.magisk/mirror/product failed with 22: Invalid argument
10-29 04:40:28.775   263   265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/product
10-29 04:40:28.775   263   265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/data
10-29 04:40:28.780   263   265 I : * Initializing Magisk environment
10-29 04:40:28.902   263   265 I : * Running post-fs-data.d scripts
10-29 04:40:28.990   263   265 I : * Running module post-fs-data scripts
10-29 04:40:28.994   263   265 I : * Loading modules
10-29 04:40:28.995   263   265 I : terminal_systemizer: loading mount files
10-29 04:40:28.995   263   265 I : busybox-ndk: loading mount files
10-28 15:40:29.790   263   423 I : ** late_start service mode running
10-28 15:40:29.791   263   423 I : * Running service.d scripts
10-28 15:40:29.791   263   423 I : * Running module service scripts
10-28 15:40:39.700   263  1187 I : ** boot_complete triggered

---Manager Logs---
23.0 (23000)

--------- beginning of main
10-28 16:00:33.919  5403  5403 W ActivityThread: handleWindowVisibility: no activity for token [email protected]
10-28 16:00:34.073  5403  7992 I mali_so : [File] : hardware/rockchip/mali_so/driver/product/base/src/mali_base_kbase.c; [Line] : 876; [Func] : base_context_deal_with_version_affairs_rk_ext;
10-28 16:00:34.073  5403  7992 I mali_so : arm_release_ver of this mali_so is 'r18p0-01rel0', rk_so_ver is '[email protected]'.
10-28 16:00:34.073  5403  7992 D mali_so : [File] : hardware/rockchip/mali_so/driver/product/base/src/mali_base_kbase.c; [Line] : 881; [Func] : base_context_deal_with_version_affairs_rk_ext;
10-28 16:00:34.073  5403  7992 D mali_so : current process is NOT sf, to bail out.
10-28 16:00:34.103  5403  7992 D mali_winsys: EGLint new_window_surface(egl_winsys_display *, void *, EGLSurface, EGLConfig, egl_winsys_surface **, egl_color_buffer_format *, EGLBoolean) returns 0x3000
10-28 16:00:34.113  5403  7992 W Gralloc3: mapper 3.x is not supported
10-28 16:00:34.115  5403  7992 D GRALLOC-ROCKCHIP: RK_GRAPHICS_VER=commit-id:9c4c4b4
10-28 16:00:34.133  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:34.135  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:34.356  5403  5427 I opjohnwu.magis: The ClassLoaderContext is a special shared library.
10-28 16:00:34.358  5403  5427 I chatty  : uid=10152(com.topjohnwu.magisk) DefaultDispatch identical 1 line
10-28 16:00:34.360  5403  5427 I opjohnwu.magis: The ClassLoaderContext is a special shared library.
10-28 16:00:34.393  5403  5427 V NativeCrypto: Registering com/google/android/gms/org/conscrypt/NativeCrypto's 294 native methods...
10-28 16:00:34.411  5403  5427 D NetworkSecurityConfig: No Network Security Config specified, using platform default
10-28 16:00:34.413  5403  5427 I ProviderInstaller: Installed default security provider GmsCore_OpenSSL
10-28 16:00:34.467  5403  5403 W ActivityThread: handleWindowVisibility: no activity for token [email protected]
10-28 16:00:34.481  5403  5403 I AppCompatDelegate: The Activity's LayoutInflater already has a Factory installed so we can not install AppCompat's
10-28 16:00:34.670  5403  5423 I opjohnwu.magis: Waiting for a blocking GC ProfileSaver
10-28 16:00:34.855  5403  7992 D mali_winsys: EGLint new_window_surface(egl_winsys_display *, void *, EGLSurface, EGLConfig, egl_winsys_surface **, egl_color_buffer_format *, EGLBoolean) returns 0x3000
10-28 16:00:34.934  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:34.940  5403  7992 I chatty  : uid=10152(com.topjohnwu.magisk) RenderThread identical 4 lines
10-28 16:00:34.941  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:34.991  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:35.230  5403  7992 W libEGL  : EGLNativeWindowType 0x74dc84c690 disconnect failed
10-28 16:00:37.026  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:37.077  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:38.663  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:53.945  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:53.961  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     : java.net.UnknownHostException: Unable to resolve host "topjohnwu.github.io": No address associated with hostname
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupHostByName(Inet6AddressImpl.java:156)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Inet6AddressImpl.java:103)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1152)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at a.f02.a(Unknown Source:0)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at a.f01.a(Unknown Source:3)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at a.o22.a(Unknown Source:30)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at a.j22.a(Unknown Source:11)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at a.j32.b(Unknown Source:3)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at a.a22.a(Unknown Source:17)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at a.c32.a(Unknown Source:19)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at a.l32.a(Unknown Source:26)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at a.s22.h(Unknown Source:12)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at a.p22.run(Unknown Source:6)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1167)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:641)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:919)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     : Caused by: android.system.GaiException: android_getaddrinfo failed: EAI_NODATA (No address associated with hostname)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at libcore.io.Linux.android_getaddrinfo(Native Method)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at libcore.io.ForwardingOs.android_getaddrinfo(ForwardingOs.java:74)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at libcore.io.BlockGuardOs.android_getaddrinfo(BlockGuardOs.java:200)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at libcore.io.ForwardingOs.android_getaddrinfo(ForwardingOs.java:74)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupHostByName(Inet6AddressImpl.java:135)
10-28 16:00:54.814  5403  5403 E vv0     :     ... 18 more
10-28 16:00:56.979  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:00:57.116  5403  7992 I chatty  : uid=10152(com.topjohnwu.magisk) RenderThread identical 3 lines
10-28 16:00:57.120  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:01:00.508  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:01:01.966  5403  5416 I opjohnwu.magis: Background concurrent copying GC freed 7252(425KB) AllocSpace objects, 4(80KB) LOS objects, 49% free, 6008KB/11MB, paused 122us total 127.633ms
10-28 16:01:02.007  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:01:06.226  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:01:11.885  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:01:14.868  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:01:19.898  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL
10-28 16:01:19.900  5403  7992 D         : set stream to NULL

Last edited:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Is there a possibility that Magisk in its present configuration could be related to the device going into Rescue Party on certain devices running Android 12?

On the Pixel 4a, 5, 5a, and 6 series, dm-verity and vbmeta verification must be disabled in order to boot a patched boot image. This is only required on Android 12, and was the only requirement for permanent root on the 12 Beta.

However, with the 12 Stable release, we are seeing a new problem: with dm-verity and vbmeta verification disabled, the device will go into Rescue Party unless /data is wiped.

The only potential workaround for this, which seems to be hit or miss, is to sideload the OTA, then immediately enter fastboot and flash /vbmeta and /boot before rebooting post update.

This occurs regardless of version of Magisk used - 23000, 23001, 23010, 23011.

Any insights on this? I'm asking here because my understanding is that a corrupted ramdisk will send the device into Rescue Party. If vbmeta and stock boot image are flashed without any flags, the device will boot normally; interestingly, with stock vbmeta and boot, a patched boot image can be live booted via ADB for temporary root.
To add to V0latyle's post.

Pixel 4a [sunfish] has no issue updating and installing Magisk on Android 12.

The issue starts with Pixel 4a (5G) [bramble].
This is also the first Pixel using Boot Header v3.
Boot image header, version 3 - source.android - Link
Vendor boot header - source.android - Link

The 3, 3a, and 4 series along with 4a are using header v2.

4a (5G), 5 and 5a are using header v3.

Just downloaded and checked.
6 and 6 Pro are using header v4.

I am not sure if that is the problem but, it is quite a distinguishing line between Pixels that have this issue with Magisk and those that do not on Android 12. 🙃

After a little more testing on my 5 [redfin], I will open an issue on GitHub.
Magisk - GitHub - Issues - Link

Cheers all. :cowboy:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Another question: Is there a way to clean up a Magisk install without root? For some reason, even though my boot image is patched, Magisk reports no root. I suspect a signature mismatch or possibly ramdisk issue.
Yes but, no. :whistle:

You need heighten (root) access to view and modify /data.

I have previous posts about manually removing Magisk.

From a rooted system.
Link

From custom (TWRP) recovery.
Link

TWRP is available for redfin. ;)
[RECOVERY] TWRP 3.5.0_10-0 - TeamWin Recovery Project [REDFIN] [TESTING] - [xdaThread] - Link

Cheers. :cowboy:

pndwal

Another question: Is there a way to clean up a Magisk install without root?...
Yup: Just delete all /data/ adb directory content.

Use TWRP (could just Fastboot boot it), ADB etc. Worst case, factory reset will do it!

Image backups can be removed from /data (ie. magisk_backup_xxxxxxx etc) also.

App is simply uninstalled separately of course... PW

Edit: nice detailed links above. 😜

Last edited:

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Code:
10-29 04:40:28.771 263 265 E : mount /sbin/.magisk/block/vendor->/sbin/.magisk/mirror/vendor failed with 6: No such device or address
10-29 04:40:28.771 263 265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/vendor
10-29 04:40:28.772 263 265 E : mount /sbin/.magisk/block/product->/sbin/.magisk/mirror/product failed with 6: No such device or address
10-29 04:40:28.772 263 265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/product
10-29 04:40:28.772 263 265 I : link: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/cache
10-29 04:40:28.772 263 265 E : mount /sbin/.magisk/block/system->/sbin/.magisk/mirror/system failed with 22: Invalid argument
10-29 04:40:28.773 263 265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/system
10-29 04:40:28.773 263 265 E : mount /sbin/.magisk/block/vendor->/sbin/.magisk/mirror/vendor failed with 22: Invalid argument
10-29 04:40:28.773 263 265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/vendor
10-29 04:40:28.775 263 265 E : mount /sbin/.magisk/block/product->/sbin/.magisk/mirror/product failed with 22: Invalid argument
10-29 04:40:28.775 263 265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/product
10-29 04:40:28.775 263 265 I : mount: /sbin/.magisk/mirror/data
This is likely the source of your issue... The partitions can't be mounted properly, so no magic mounting can happen (no modules will be able to mount their files).

Why? Don't know... Possibly due to an incompatibility with your device.

Top Liked Posts

hi which version i need to instal on my xiaomi mi10t pro with A12? the safety net aways fails
    Doubt Magisk version is your issue, but you will likely need USNF ver 2.1.2 or 2.2.0 depending on whether you use current public Stable /w Riru or current debug Canary /w Zygisk. Nb. If you have current Canary you must enable Zygisk as 2.1.2 solution doesn't work w/o MagiskHide.

Nb. If still failing with the above, try with modules not required for SafetyNet disabled (some are known to break SafetyNet).

Nb.2. You may also need MHPC w/ passing fingerprint configured if you use a custom ROM. PW
    sorry to ask, where is this module available?
    It's in a less known Magisk alpha TG thread w/ some 700 members, not 6200. (found no other links to it as yet); that was given here recently.

Sorry you may need to search, some of us have been warned by mods re. giving links to Twitter, Telegram etc XDA deems 'social media'. We can quote however.)
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85723289

Tip: look at @Eng.Raman's recent posts.
    (Lsposed is supposed to be preliminary installed?)
    No mention of LSPosed being needed.

Another user tried it; didn't say if built LSPosed 'xhook-clear' branched Magisk or found a Magisk build with requisite fix (see pr), but showed Momo result 'Found zygisk' gone with other 'modifications' / 'suspicious traces' remaining. (Less perfect result that nu11ptr's.)

Please report any early success with this. 👍 PW
    Hi all,

Is anyone aware of a working solution for hiding mocked locations when using Magisk Canary + Android 12? The latest smali patcher causes boot loops when I try activating the module.

I have to use canary as the P6 Pro seems to only support that. I've tried the lsposed mock mock location module, but it doesn't work as I have to remove Pokemon Go from the denylist for it to properly work (and Pokemon subsequently detects root after that).

I'm guessing Magisk Alpha is probably my only bet here for now (assuming that implements Magisk hide still)
    You can also try Magisk Custom. Latest d208be84 code base 23015 but still with MagiskHide

And then see the screenshots (since URL to TG channel is not llowed)
    I've been following the thread for a long time now, and I think some users are still confused regarding the differences between the different variants of Magisk that are available for use. I'm going to try and summarize them here, which should be helpful for everyone:

Magisk Variant​
    Stable​
    Canary​
    Alpha​
    Custom​
    Release
    Official​
    Official​
    Unofficial​
    Unofficial​
    Maintainer
    topjohnwu​
    topjohnwu​
    vvb2060​
    TheHitMan7​
    Project Link
    Zygisk
    No​
    Yes​
    Yes​
    Yes​
    DenyList
    No​
    Yes​
    Yes​
    No​
    MagiskHide
    Yes​
    No​
    Yes*​
    Yes​
    Modules Repo
    Yes​
    No​
    No​
    Yes​
    Download Link

*If you turn off Zygisk in Alpha, then DenyList will act like MagiskHide. So essentially, you can have Zygisk On + DenyList or Zygisk Off + DenyList running as MagiskHide.

In case I've gotten something wrong, or can add more information, please let me know. :) Cheers!
    Great guide, thanks... I think I followed a similar guide from you a while back, but forgot full path requirement... Pinged you as I thought you'd come through! 👍

I didn't say MagiskBoot was part of Magisk binary however... I clearly said 'magiskboot * binary * isn't working for me'. 😜 ...

Thanks for the method. PW
    This one might be a bit more confusing. ;)

Not sure I can operate Magiskboot before I flash it to the device. Once I flash Magisk, I have access to fastboot through recovery, and that's it.
    While catching up last night, I missed that you are not rooted. :oops:

---

Without root, you need a directory with heightened permissions that you can access.

You should be able to use the /data/local/tmp/ directory.

Unzip the Magisk apk file and push the appropriate architecture to the device.
    Then set the permissions to be executable.

Linux/Mac command line example.
    Make the appropriate changes if you use Windows.​
    • Unpack the lib directory from the Magisk apk file.
      unzip app-debug.apk lib*
    • Push the matching Magisk architecture to the device.
      adb push lib/YourDeviceArchitecture/* /data/local/tmp/
    • Push the boot image you want to modify to the device.
      adb push boot.img /data/local/tmp/
    • Set permissions.
      adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*.so
    • Enter adb shell and change directories.
      adb shell
      cd /data/local/tmp/
    • Run the commands using the ./ prefix.
      ./libmagiskboot.so

Make the changes you want, exit the shell and pull the new-boot image to the computer.
    Reboot into bootloader and boot the new-boot image.

Note:
    /data/local/tmp/ should be an empty directory.
    You should clear the directory after you are done using it. ;)

Quick example just unpacking and repacking a boot image without root.
    Magiskboot Example - Pastebin - Link

Hope it helps more than confuse. 🙃

Cheers. :cowboy:
    Hi all. :D

I do not use twitter so, I am out of the loop at times. :confused:
    Links to a few tweets were noted in an issue on USNF github earlier today.

Seemed to be appropriate to mention here.

From John Wu.
    PSA: MagiskHide of Magisk v23.0 no longer passes SafetyNet, even with BASIC evalType. Tested on my Pixel 4 XL running stock Android 12 with vanilla Magisk v23.0.

MagiskHide is *officially* dead. If you need any kind of root hiding, it's the perfect time to find alternatives.
    There are already plenty of "root hiding" modules out there that I'm aware of, some even utilizing the latest features of Magisk canary.

I'm obligated to distance myself from any tamper detection circumvention, so I will not assist/promote any modules. Do your own research 🙃

From osm0sis
    *Cough* @kdrag0n's Universal SafetyNet Fix (USNF) *Cough* 😘
    To be specific, Magisk Canary, Zygisk and DenyList enabled, and USNF v2.2.0+ is the way forward. 🤘

Cheers all. :cowboy:

Latest Magisk Canary:​

Magisk (7e9d4512) (23014)​

• Fix crashes when multiple Zygisk module is installed
    • Fix crashes in magiskboot under certain circumstances
    • Always unload Zygisk itself after post specialize
    • Add module suspension state in Magisk app (riru/zygisk modules)

Diffs to v23.0​

• [General] MagiskHide is removed from Magisk
    • [General] Support 64-bit only systems
    • [General] Support Android 12
    • [Zygisk] Introduce new feature: Zygisk
    • [Zygisk] Introduce DenyList feature to revert Magisk features in user selected processes
    • [MagiskBoot] Support patching 32-bit kernel zImages
    • [MagiskBoot] Support boot image header v4
    • [MagiskBoot] Support patching out skip_initramfs from dtb bootargs
    • [MagiskInit] Support /proc/bootconfig for loading boot configurations
    • [MagiskInit] Better support for some Meizu devices
    • [MagiskInit] Better support for some Oppo/Realme devices
    • [MagiskInit] Support init.real on some Sony devices
    • [MagiskPolicy] Load *_compat_cil_file from system_ext
    • [MagiskSU] Use isolated devpts if the kernel supports it
    • [MagiskSU] Fix root shell if isolated mount namespace is set
    • [resetprop] Deleted properties are now wiped from memory instead of just unlinking
    • [App] Build a single APK for all ABIs
    • [App] Switch to use standard bottom navigation bar
    • [App] Downloading modules within the Magisk app is removed
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk-files/blob/55bdc45955e7ba1fe4d296b6fc06f926ebc9ddd1/notes.md
    👍 PW
    Gents, as grateful I am for all above substantial contributions I hope you allow me to express my "wonder"... As you all know off-topic posts (unless violating forum rules) are only removed on request of the threadowner, I'm just surprised that extremely experienced and knowledgable XDA users allow this thread to deviate from its subject.
    Just as an idea for similar "occasions" in future, hadn't it been better to simply point somebody to the well known subject matter related ad blocker threads? Okay, unexperienced members should certainly question themselves why they post off-topic in a thread. After the initial serious problems with the in-XDA-search, I meanwhile must say it's working excellent for me.

And by the way: I've removed the link to paid applications as not being accepted on XDA. Please don't mind.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p