Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

Killuminati91

Dec 12, 2012
How would I disable dm-verity with magisk nowadays? The newer app doesnt have any options.
Managed to get it running on my Vivo x70 Pro Plus.

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
How would I disable dm-verity with magisk nowadays? The newer app doesnt have any options.
Managed to get it running on my Vivo x70 Pro Plus.
Search the two Magisk threads, there's a command line option. There is also advice that you do not normally need it. I do not remember whether you do not need the function, or whether you do not need to ask for it because it is done automatically.

Webexplr

After installing the newest version of a banking app, I encountered this error every time I tried to launch the banking app. Is this related to Magisk/Shamiko?

(Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask)

EDIT: Lineage OS 19.1 Android 12 on Sony Xperia XA2

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 12

svendsvin

Oct 21, 2013
Lost in space
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Yes I have the same issue. Since the Shamiko v0.5 update my banking App won't open. If I revert back to v0.4.4 my banking App works fine again and doesn't detect root, etc.

Are you possibly on a custom ROM? I have EvoX on two devices and both have this issue with Shamiko v0.5. However, I have one device one stock Samsung ROM and my banking App with the latest Shamiko works on that.

Can't figure out what the issue could be.

I have the same problem. I'll guess it has something to do with this: https://issueantenna.com/repo/LSPosed/LSPosed/issues/1943

Thfaro

Oct 6, 2021
Moto G7 Play
I figured I should post this here, and I am unsure if it is even supposed to happen. My phone is a XT1952-T, so a rebranded Moto G7 Play, and I am aware that the "bad key" and "N/A" appearing after an unlocked bootloader is normal. In my case though, these letters and numbers appear instead.

This always happens after flashing the magisk_patched file. Sometimes it ends up corrupting the phone, and other times it lets me get through, but Magisk still says N/A on installed. I am using the correct boot.img that I pulled directly from LMSA.

Whether I use TWRP or fastboot to flash it, this always ends up happening. I also flash the stock firmware with LMSA before flashing so that I ensure the previous test doesn't conflict with the next one. I don't ask for a fix, I am actually intrigued on why this happens, any ideas?
Surprisingly I found out what these numbers and letters are. I am from a pretty long time ago, and only recently tried again to root. This is what I found when flashing (I should have seen this earlier tbh):

C:\Users\Cash America\Desktop\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-24300_Z6OMY.img
(bootloader) is-logical:boot_a: not found
Sending 'boot_a' (17661 KB) OKAY [ 0.491s]
Writing 'boot_a' (bootloader) Image signed with key
(bootloader) 80012A99-867FDA48-4E357816-0E549F1B-B067FBD5
OKAY [ 0.342s]
Finished. Total time: 6.552s

Followed from: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#patching-images
I did notice that the phone had "vbmeta_a" and "vbmeta_b", but didn't know what to do with them. No "vbmeta" I saw though.

Reactions: dr4go

rogers11

Good morning, I've updated my Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e today via OTA (LOS 19.1, MiindTheGapps, Magisk 24.3).
Although there is an addon.d script for Magisk, only the GApps were reinstalled, not Magisk. I had to do it again via adb.

What could be the reason? File-permissions of the script are fine.

pndwal

Good morning, I've updated my Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e today via OTA (LOS 19.1, MiindTheGapps, Magisk 24.3).
Although there is an addon.d script for Magisk, only the GApps were reinstalled, not Magisk. I had to do it again via adb.

What could be the reason? File-permissions of the script are fine.
Many factors...
- If using TWRP, none are yet properly A12 compatible...
- LOS recovery can't decrypt /data
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3820#issuecomment-857241389
- For A/B devices (i.e. addon.d-v2) the OTA must be run through the system settings updater app rather than LOS recovery
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3820#issuecomment-857094000
- A/B (addon.d-v2) when using TWRP may only work in certain branches (note the date here) https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3820#issuecomment-856937113

Nb. @osm0sis is the resident expert on all things addon.d (and designer of much of it) here.

Hope this helps. 🙂 PW

meric57

Oct 2, 2017
Oeutrange
Hello, this weekend I followed a tutorial to install TRWP see topic on XDA you have to install with trwp.apk.
I got the concern that lineage 19 under android 12 bug no play store stops and other bugs.
see these 2 links

rogers11

Many factors...
- If using TWRP, none are yet properly A12 compatible...
- For A/B devices (i.e. addon.d-v2) the OTA must be run through the system settings updater app rather than LOS recovery
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3820#issuecomment-857094000
- A/B (addon.d-v2) when using TWRP may only work in certain branches (note the date here) https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3820#issuecomment-856937113

Nb. @osm0sis is the resident expert on all things addon.d (and designer of much of it) here.

Hope this helps. 🙂 PW
Thanks for the hints. The device isn't A/B, TWRP isn't installed. I've used the inbuild LOS updater which rebooted into LOS recovery, installed the update, reinstalled GApps, but not Magisk. All addon.d scripts are in the same directory and have the same permissions.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Hello, this weekend I followed a tutorial to install TRWP see topic on XDA you have to install with trwp.apk.
I got the concern that lineage 19 under android 12 bug no play store stops and other bugs.
see these 2 links

Since that is about TWRP and custom ROM for your particular device, I think it should have been posted to the subforum for your phone, to the threads about your LOS (and TWRP), to the corresponding TG or Discord channels (whatever they have for support) and/or directly to those thread(s) you are quoting

Btw, as you wrote, these are some early versions of LOS 19 and TWRP for A12, hence all kinds of problems might be expected

Last edited:

kramer04

Jan 15, 2011
France
Hello
Samsung Note9
android sotck rom 10

I followed instruction to install Magisk canary from here

Are there some informations to know before if i want to install TWRP recovery ?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Hello
Samsung Note9
android sotck rom 10

I followed instruction to install Magisk canary from here

Are there some informations to know before if i want to install TWRP recovery ?
Probably. I'd first look and ask where the TWRP is coming from.
If their author(s).provide guides like TJW does for his Magisk (don't expect that TJW or support channels for Magisk could be of much help for TWRP on the particular phone) - on some TG channel, GitHub or something.
Or in the Sammy Note 9 subforum - for A10 it's not something new and there must be guides or how-to threads/posts

gribna

Nov 1, 2017
Hello!
I've updated to Magisk 24.3 via TWRP and now my mobile internet isn't working. Mobile data is "on" but phone Settings warns me that mobile data is actually off.
Is it a known issue? I've scoured the internet for any similar issue and came up with nothing.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Hello!
I've updated to Magisk 24.3 via TWRP and now my mobile internet isn't working. Mobile data is "on" but phone Settings warns me that mobile data is actually off.
Is it a known issue? I've scoured the internet for any similar issue and came up with nothing.
Do you really think your problem is common for all phones (in that case nobody of us would use Magisk v24.3), or do we know by telepathy what is your phone, ROM, etc

Problems like that are generally rare and very specific - only if you provide the relevant info somebody who is familiar with the phone, ROM type and so could provide you some help

• Haha
Reactions: Kurt Krummbein

gribna

Nov 1, 2017
Do you really think your problem is common for all phones (in that case nobody of us would use Magisk v24.3), or do we know by telepathy what is your phone, ROM, etc

Problems like that are generally rare and very specific - only if you provide the relevant info somebody who is familiar with the phone, ROM type and so could provide you some help
OnePlus 5
LineageOS 17.1
TWRP 3.5.0_0-9

pndwal

Thanks for the hints. The device isn't A/B, TWRP isn't installed. I've used the inbuild LOS updater which rebooted into LOS recovery, installed the update, reinstalled GApps, but not Magisk. All addon.d scripts are in the same directory and have the same permissions.
Could be some anomaly w/ LOS recovery, eg hidden comment after this one:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3820#issuecomment-857115284

Wondering, you didn't ever need to uninstall a 'hidden' (obfuscated) Magisk app after update to get things working did you?...

Also, did you install Magisk from recovery zip installer prior to OTA? (Never installed via app patch/flash)? PW

Last edited:

pndwal

Hello!
Symptom smacks of mismatched kernel... Did you ever install Magisk using Magisk App patch/flash? PW

Reactions: J.Michael

rogers11

Could be some anomaly w/ LOS recovery, eg hidden comment after this one:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3820#issuecomment-857115284

Wondering, you didn't ever need to uninstall a 'hidden' (obfuscated) Magisk app after update to get things working did you?...

Also, did you install Magisk from recovery zip installer prior to OTA? (Never installed via app patch/flash)? PW
No, I never had to uninstall a 'hidden' version. The installation is just one week old and yesterday it got the first OTA.
Last week I installed LOS -> GApps -> Magisk.zip via adb. I did not flash a patched boot.img (I know that I will not get the script in this case).

Reactions: pndwal

pndwal

No, I never had to uninstall a 'hidden' version. The installation is just one week old and yesterday it got the first OTA.
Last week I installed LOS -> GApps -> Magisk.zip via adb. I did not flash a patched boot.img (I know that I will not get the script in this case).
So could be the anomaly I noted above... Or this one I mentioned earlier:
So yeah probably TWRP only for A-only too.
... But I don't understand why addon.d apparently worked for you GApps if that's the case...

Guess it may be worth opening a GitHub issue if you're prepared to supply logs / details as requested and would like to see a fix... @osm0sis may have thoughts... PW

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Latest Official TJW Canary (release) & Debug (debug) Magisk builds:

Magisk (bf04fa13) (24314)​

• [App] Fix language switch
    • [MagiskSU] Handle system_server restarts to prevent UID reuse abuse

Diffs to v24.3​

• [MagiskInit] Update 2SI implementation, significantly increase device compatibility (e.g. Sony Xperia devices)
    • [MagiskInit] Introduce new sepolicy injection mechanism
    • [MagiskInit] Support Oculus Go
    • [MagiskInit] Support Android 13 GKIs (Pixel 6)
    • [MagiskBoot] Fix vbmeta extraction implementation
    • [App] [MagiskSU] Properly support apps using shared UID
    • [MagiskSU] Fix a possible crash in magiskd
    • [MagiskSU] Prune unused UIDs as soon as possible to prevent UID reuse attacks
    • [MagiskSU] Verify and enforce the installed Magisk app's certificate to match the distributor's signature
    • [Zygisk] Fix function hooking on devices running Android 12 with old kernels
    • [DenyList] Fix DenyList on shared UID apps
    • [BusyBox] Add workaround for devices running old kernels
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk-files/blob/4cc20a9dfb66ddd96b88499c0f4fffeee357afe8/notes.md

👍 PW
    Latest Official TJW Beta (release) Magisk build:

Magisk

2022.6.7 Magisk v25.0​

Another major release! A lot of the changes aren’t visible at the surface, but v25 is actually a really substantial upgrade!

MagiskInit Rewrite​

A significant portion of magiskinit (the critical software that runs before your device boots up) is completely rewritten from scratch. Ever since Android introduced Project Treble in Android 8.0, Magisk has been constantly fighting against the increasingly complex partitioning and early mount setups of all kinds of devices, sometimes with weird OEM specific implementations. It got to a point that magiskinit had become so complicated that few people (including myself!) were aware of every detail, and maintaining this piece of software like this was clearly not sustainable. After many months of planning (yes, this whole re-architecture has been in my head for a long time) and some help from external contributors, a whole new sepolicy injection mechanism is introduced into Magisk, solving the “SELinux Problem” once and for all.

Since this is a full paradigm shift on how Magisk hot-patch the device at boot, several behaviors that many developers implicitly relied on might not exist. For example, Magisk no longer patches fstabs in most scenarios, which means AVB will remain intact; some custom kernels rely on AVB being stripped out for them by Magisk.

MagiskSU Security Enhancements​

The superuser functionality of Magisk has not seen much changes ever since its introduction. v25 focuses on making root permission management more accurate and secure:

• Add a whole new package tracking system to ensure malicious UID reuse attack cannot be performed
    • Properly support and implement the UX in the Magisk app for packages using sharedUserId
    • Enforce root manager APK signature verification to combat the rampant unofficial Magisk app “mods”
    Many might not realize, but using a trusted, unmodified Magisk app is really important. Magisk’s root daemon treats the Magisk app differently and gives it blanket root access without any restrictions. A modded Magisk app can potentially backdoor your device.

And in case some of you are about to put on your tin foil hats, this is not designed to “vendor lock-in”; the goal is to make sure your root management app comes from the same developer of the underlying root implementation. Magisk’s build system allows custom distributors to use its own signing keys, and in addition, I am also providing official debug builds which skips any signature verification for development.

Full Changelog: here

Magisk Changelog​

v25.0​

• [MagiskInit] Update 2SI implementation, significantly increase device compatibility (e.g. Sony Xperia devices)
    • [App] Fix stub app on older Android versions
    • [App] [MagiskSU] Properly support apps using sharedUserId
    • [MagiskSU] Prune unused UIDs as soon as system_server restarts to prevent UID reuse attacks
    • [MagiskSU] Verify and enforce the installed Magisk app’s certificate to match the distributor’s signature
    • [MagiskSU] [Zygisk] Proper package management and detection
    • [Zygisk] Fix Zygisk’s self code unloading implementation
    https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/releases/25000.html

🎉🎉 👍 PW
    Latest Official TJW public Stable (release) Magisk build:

Magisk

Magisk Changelog​

v25.1​

• [MagiskBoot] Fix ramdisk backup being incorrectly skipped
    • [MagiskBoot] Add new feature to detect unsupported dtb and abort during installation
    • [Zygisk] Change binary hijack paths
    • [App] Fix incorrect recovery mode detection and installation
    • [MagiskInit] Fix config not properly exported in legacy SAR devices
    • [General] Enforce the Magisk app to always match or be newer than magiskd

Release Notes:
    https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/releases/25100.html

For remaining diffs to public Stable 24.3, see Changelog for public Beta 25.0:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-86993241

🎉🎉 👍 PW
    Thank you @zgfg and @ipdev . I have a fully working and automated script to both update my phone and patch & flash the magisk boot.img file. The only thing thats missing is the autoreboot after sideload but i guess TWRP has to implement this feature.

The script can both be used as standalone or class to modify it for custom stuff. Ill continue to work on the repo and make everything neat, as well as working on windows and linux binarys & a gui for people that have no idea how to use scripts.

Thank you guys for your help, this will save so much time for me and maybe even other people (at least i hope it will be used). :)

Here it is on github
    Latest Official TJW Canary (release) & Debug (debug) Magisk builds:

Magisk (34b2f525) (24316)​

Diffs to v24.3​

• [App] [MagiskSU] Properly support apps using shared UID
    • [MagiskSU] Prune unused UIDs as soon as possible to prevent UID reuse attacks
    • [MagiskSU] Verify and enforce the installed Magisk app's certificate to match the distributor's signature
    • [MagiskSU] [Zygisk] Proper package management and detection
    • [Zygisk] Fix Zygisk's self code unloading implementation
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk-files/blob/b4869a2d900721c508c974e5288edf29aee25e01/notes.md

👍 PW
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p