Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

shoey63

Recognized Contributor
. . . The following is how I usually try to do it.

1. Magisk > Uninstall > Restore Images
2. System Settings update (DO NOT REBOOT)
3. Magisk > Install > Install Into Inactive Slot (After OTA)

. . .
If you are on the latest version of Magisk (some previous versions had issues), and no other partitions are modified other than boot and you reboot from within Magisk manager after flashing to other slot, then that should work.
I take OTA updates on Pixel 6 that way.

If you are on the latest version of Magisk (some previous versions had issues), and no other partitions are modified other than boot and you reboot from within Magisk manager after flashing to other slot, then that should work.
I take OTA updates on Pixel 6 that way.
I last did it with 24.3 Magisk and it boot loop. Am I supposed to turn off the module I have? Systemless Hosts.

shoey63

Recognized Contributor
I last did it with 24.3 Magisk and it boot loop. Am I supposed to turn off the module I have? Systemless Hosts.
Not necessarily, but you DO need to update Magisk to the latest version as I mentioned.

Edit: Disabling modules before taking an OTA update and re-enabling later is a good idea. It eliminates them as the cause of boot loops.

Last edited:

martyfender

Mar 9, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Good evening Martyfender, Thank you Google translator if there is better I take.
The problem may be with proper English grammar and punctuation. I am trying to help us better understand your posts so as to better help You.
Suggestion:
"Good evening martyfender. Thank you. I am using Google Translator, unless someone can suggest a better alternative."

Last edited:

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
Good evening Martyfender, Thank you Google translator if there is better I take.
I think your posts would be easier to understand if you included the original French below the English translator output. From the forum rules:

4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature). You could try :- https://translate.google.com/ or https://www.babelfish.com/ or use one of your choice.

Reactions: Timmmmaaahh!

pndwal

I have a question about OTA incremental updates. I have a OnePlus 9 on OxygenOS 12 C.48. C.61 is now being pushed out. Oxygen Updater no longer offers the full updates and is telling me to use incremental. Everytime I updare with incremental I get a boot loop and have to factory reset to be able to boot again, of course losing all data. Is there some new way we are supposed to update with incremental? The following is how I usually try to do it.

1. Magisk > Uninstall > Restore Images
2. System Settings update (DO NOT REBOOT)
3. Magisk > Install > Install Into Inactive Slot (After OTA)

Am I missing something? I do not have any modules installed, except Systemless Hosts. I have read that I should disable modules. Should I just restore images and complete uninstall Magisk?
Please say if you are doing anything different, eg use custom kernel, change Verity flags (options) etc... Also, what is current Magisk version and update version...

Method looks fine. - ie. recently fixed method here:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/blob/master/docs/ota.md#devices-with-ab-partitions

How are you rebooting after updates?... From Magisk App? ... This may be important:
  • After installation is done, press the reboot button in the Magisk app. Under-the-hood, the Magisk app forces your device to switch to the updated slot, bypassing any possible post-OTA verifications.

Nb. Direct Install to 25+ from earlier Magisk will fail where previous Magisk installation (ie. method of injection etc) is no longer supported. This does affect OnePlus in particular it seems, and is a result of change from patching fstab in 2SI devices
on 2SI devices, we patch fstab and execute the original `init` to mount partitions for us.
to patching original init
on 2SI devices, we patch the original `init` to redirect the 2nd stage init file to magiskinit and execute it to mount partitions for us.
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/commit/4f1a1879e572891bc005b489f82421303f602f72?diff=split

In these cases, a fresh install (patching previously unpatched image) will work, and Direct updates should work again going forward.

As I understand it, this shouldn't affect Install to Inactivate Slot method, but I guess it's possible Magisk may carry over some settings / flags from the previous slot installation, so this might help / apply...

I put information on this here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-87064251

Hope it provides clues... PW

Please say if you are doing anything different, eg use custom kernel, change Verity flags (options) etc... Also, what is current Magisk version and update version...

Method looks fine. - ie. recently fixed method here:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/blob/master/docs/ota.md#devices-with-ab-partitions

How are you rebooting after updates?... From Magisk App? ... This may be important:

Nb. Direct Install to 25+ from earlier Magisk will fail where previous Magisk installation (ie. method of injection etc) is no longer supported. This does affect OnePlus in particular it seems, and is a result of change from patching fstab in 2SI devices
on 2SI devices, we patch fstab and execute the original `init` to mount partitions for us.
to patching original init
on 2SI devices, we patch the original `init` to redirect the 2nd stage init file to magiskinit and execute it to mount partitions for us.
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/commit/4f1a1879e572891bc005b489f82421303f602f72?diff=split

In these cases, a fresh install (patching previously unpatched image) will work, and Direct updates should work again going forward.

As I understand it, this shouldn't affect Install to Inactivate Slot method, but I guess it's possible Magisk may carry over some settings / flags from the previous slot installation, so this might help / apply...

I put information on this here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-87064251

Hope it provides clues... PW
I used to use a custom kernel, but haven't since going to the OnePlus 9. Otherwise I only install Magisk. I do not ever mount any partition as read/write except boot to install Magisk.

Yes, I forgot that step. I reboot from within Magisk.

I installed 25.1 App from within 24.3, and than direct install 25.1 into boot. I did not get any errors. So, should I restore image and direct install from 25.1 and reboot before OTA?

Last time I tried OTA and got a boot loop only 24.3 was out. I am asking questions before I go to update now, but I do have 25.1 installed. App and Boot. Since 25+ came with the fstab change, I doubt that was the issue before.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
OT But, one of the methods I use when using computer assisted translations, is to translate it to the other language (say French as my primary to English as my secondary) and then put that 2nd Language translation back into the translator, and translate it back into my original language, and see what is lost or broken in the translation. Then adjust my primary language text until both ways result in the exact same text ie nothing is lost or confused with the translator.

Reactions: J.Michael

pndwal

I am on 25.1. Last time I tried to update using OTA incremental was with 24.3.
Bit further... It may be to do with OnePlus upgrade itself...

I notice Pixel 6 users report that Patching the Inactive slot after an OTA Update and rebooting results in a Bootloop currently:
Bootloop after OTA #5959
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/5959

Perhaps your late OnePlus device is affected by an upgraded method too...

This issue is marked as wontfix, but vv comments:
Fix it requires implementing the partition digest calculation to overwrite the original value, PR welcome.
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/5959#issuecomment-1152869296

👀 PW

m0han

Apr 30, 2012

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220703_093516.jpg
    Screenshot_20220703_093516.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20220703_094150.jpg
    Screenshot_20220703_094150.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Bit further... It may be to do with OnePlus upgrade itself...

I notice Pixel 6 users report that Patching the Inactive slot after an OTA Update and rebooting results in a Bootloop currently:
Bootloop after OTA #5959
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/5959

Perhaps your late OnePlus device is affected by an upgraded method too...

This issue is marked as wontfix, but vv comments:

https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/5959#issuecomment-1152869296

👀 PW
I do not think this is the issue. I cannot flash any boot image and get it to boot again. I have to factory reset from recovery. It used to not be an issue, because full OTA update zips where available for the OnePlus 9, but now Oxygen Updater is telling me I have to do the incremental ones.

doniedogawa

Oct 29, 2021
Indonesia
I just installed Magisk v25.1 on my LG V20 H990DS with stock oreo, and success without having kernel issues. But i can't opened the app itself (stuck on logo), but when downgrading the app to v23.0. It can be opened.

Last edited:

pndwal

I used to use a custom kernel, but haven't since going to the OnePlus 9. Otherwise I only install Magisk. I do not ever mount any partition as read/write except boot to install Magisk.

Yes, I forgot that step. I reboot from within Magisk.

I installed 25.1 App from within 24.3, and than direct install 25.1 into boot. I did not get any errors. So, should I restore image and direct install from 25.1 and reboot before OTA?
You don't restore images for Direct install generally, although I hadn't considered "restore image(s) and direct install" before reboot... Is the option still there after Restore Images?... If so it may be useful if simply taking Direct Install fails...

I'd personally be giving Install to Inactive Slot from 25.1 another shot too...
Last time I tried OTA and got a boot loop only 24.3 was out. I am asking questions before I go to update now, but I do have 25.1 installed. App and Boot. Since 25+ came with the fstab change, I doubt that was the issue before.
Yes, my bad... Originally assumed Install to Inactive Slot was from 25.1 since you hadn't specified, and I hadn't caught up... PW

You don't restore images for Direct install generally, although I hadn't considered "restore image(s) and direct install" before reboot... Is the option still there after Restore Images?... If so it may be useful if simply taking Direct Install fails...

I'd personally be giving Install to Inactive Slot from 25.1 another shot too...

Yes, my bad... Originally assumed Install to Inactive Slot was from 25.1 since you hadn't specified, and I hadn't caught up... PW
Yes, I know you do not generally restore the images for direct install, and I didn't do that when doing 24.3 -> 25.1. Maybe the failed install was caused by 25.0 not 25.1. I was thinking about that because that would flash stock boot and than install 25.1. This is all before doing the OTA incremental update.

But because I did not have any issue direct installing 25.1, I do not see how this would effect install to inactive slot anyways. Also, again I have had this issue before 25+ Magisk builds. When I had issue with it before I did grab the full update, used payload dumper to get all the IMG files, and flash all of them without factory reset. I still could not boot until I factory reset the device from recovery.

pndwal

I do not think this is the issue. I cannot flash any boot image and get it to boot again. I have to factory reset from recovery. It used to not be an issue, because full OTA update zips where available for the OnePlus 9, but now Oxygen Updater is telling me I have to do the incremental ones.
It's a current issue for Install to Inactive Slot... It's not an OTA issue per se.

You seem to be confusing the issue a bit...

The Install to Inactive Slot will work for both full and Delta OTA types; the difference is that Delta OTA's always require Restore Images step... Previously (if OnePlus actually delivered full ROM OTA package) this step may actually have been superfluous as the OTA can update the images without requiring the previous images to pass pre-OTA block verifications. The verification is needed as the A/B update engine combines expected binary from the active slot with Delta update (contains only changed bytes, not complete files) using a complex algorithm to generate images flashed concurrently to the inactive slot...

Further, generally custom ROMs use full package, and stock use Delta... PW

pndwal

Yes, I know you do not generally restore the images for direct install, and I didn't do that when doing 24.3 -> 25.1. Maybe the failed install was caused by 25.0 not 25.1. I was thinking about that because that would flash stock boot and than install 25.1. This is all before doing the OTA incremental update.
Since we got single-package Magisk (22+), Magisk (mask) is flashed from App package installed... If you had 25.1 App, 25.1 binary is flashed, not 25.0...
But because I did not have any issue direct installing 25.1, I do not see how this would effect install to inactive slot anyways.
The issue for Pixel 6 I gave should make you think then... no issue direct installing 25.1, but Install to Inactive Slot is broken!... 🙃
Also, again I have had this issue before 25+ Magisk builds. When I had issue with it before I did grab the full update, used payload dumper to get all the IMG files, and flash all of them without factory reset. I still could not boot until I factory reset the device from recovery.
So seems you faced / may be facing other (multiple) issues... PW

Since we got single-package Magisk (22+), Magisk (mask) is flashed from App package installed... If you had 25.1 App, 25.1 binary is flashed, not 25.0...
Mostly I am talking about how the direct install failed. Maybe it was either just the Pixel or 25.0 failing, because of the new init thing. I did not install 25.0, because 25.1 was what popped up for update.

The issue for Pixel 6 I gave should make you think then... no issue direct installing 25.1, but Install to Inactive Slot is broken!... 🙃
Yeah. Install to inactive slot always worked for Full OTA, but never for incremental.

So seems you faced / may be facing other (multiple) issues... PW
I am unsure of what other issues could be causing this. Only guess was maybe I have to deactivate the "Systemless Hosts" module that Magisk installed. I am going to try again with OTA incremental and 25.1. Before I would have to restore old stock and factory reset (because of boot loop), than do the OTA before Magisk and setting things up. I just come here to see if anyone else is having this issue.

Top Liked Posts

No, I did not extract it from the lineage zip.
    I am unable to mount the payload.bin in windows, and it errors out on me when I try and use 7zip to open it up.
    To extract img files from payload.bin you have to use Payload Dumper. There are several threads (under different devices) with download links on XDA (you should search for) - for Windows, Linux, even for Android (not working great with bin files of several GBs), and with instructions

Link to my copy (for Windows) I downloaded months ago from XDA and happily used couple of times:
    I read the instructions but got swayed by another post elsewhere where it was stated that instaling the apk first and renaming it as zip and then sideloading has worked for someone quite well. So out of laziness I did the same process and found that it all installed without any errors.

Could this be the contributing factor with my adopted storage issues which I did not experience earlier? Also, I am experiencing some wierd problems with bluetooth where I can connect using bluetooth to most devices but if I try to connect to another android device it attempts to pair and then fails without any errors. Fortunately, haven't experienced any other major issues.
    Bit vague on your setup now...

Guess RN7 with ramdisk=no (since launched w/ A9... unless has A/B(?))

So default instructions are install magisk in recovery ramdisk (recovery mode selected)... Zip install can't do this... Did you ever do that (patch recovery.img)?... But being Xiaomi you won't actually need this... Best to patch boot.img (recovery mode un-selected) using M. App and flash...

And I wouldn't use .zip install for your device... It's legacy SAR... May be fine, but zip install is fraught since legacy ramdisk booting devices (any device w/ Launch Version A8 or less, but not updated to A10+)... Whether this could impact on SD card, BT issues etc, I'm not sure, but I'd start again w/ proper patch / flash for SAR / 2SI devices...
    What is the correct un-installation procedure for Magisk? I would like to uninstall and re-install as per the official method to see whether my issues will go away.
    You can use Uninstall Magisk from App; Nb. Restore Images leaves android configuration in /data/adb, so you'll want to take Complete Uninstall... (Or, if you first want to test if issue is that magisk.db or other config files are corrupted / causing issues, with root explorer or twrp simply delete everything in /data/adb and reboot and magisk daemon will rebuild config files... You'll have cleanly installed root and modules, superuser, deny lists etc will be gone too...)

For full uninstall you can also delete everything in /data/adb and flash unpatched boot image (recovery.img or boot.img or both these boot images)... If deleting data with root, don't reboot before flashing original boot image...

Issue does sound VERY like a mismatched kernel to me... Often this gives associated hardware issues...

Kernel is in boot image, so this is a common issue where users restore images to take an OTA update (even a minor one), then flash back previous boot image instead of sourcing the ROM corresponding with the OTA to obtain boot.img (or recovery.img) to patch and flash... or simply mix up boot images on the PC... Failing to restore unpatched images before an OTA can cause issues too...

Did you ever use App to patch images? (... Old .zip installation doesn't allow such a mismatch/ user error).

... Remember to treat your Xiaomi SAR A only device as ramdisk=yes for your clean setup, and patch / flash boot.img exactly matching or extracted from current ROM...

🤠 PW
    To extract img files from payload.bin you have to use Payload Dumper. There are several threads (under different devices) with download links on XDA (you should search for) - for Windows, Linux, even for Android (not working great with bin files of several GBs), and with instructions

Link to my copy (for Windows) I downloaded months ago from XDA and happily used couple of times:

Thanks for that worked really well, and solved my issue.
    However, since the system is already rooted using Magisk shouldn't these folders be unencrypted?
    Magisk has nothing to do with File Based Encryption on Data and Storage.
    That's part of the File System definition - Magisk does not redefine File Systems.
    And when running Android, kernel takes care of FBE

Btw, why would you (and some other users who maybe first time face FBE) dislike FBE (or be afraid of, or what) and want instead your files to be permanently unencrypted?!

If you have a proper custom Recovery, it will ask for your pin/pattern and by use of that pin, it will then unencrypt file by file, on demand - just like Android does when you boot to Android

Then, if your phone is stolen and the thief-hacker reboots to TWRP, he will not be able to steal your documents, phoos, etc, since (s)he does not know your Android unlock pin/pattern (and therefore TWRP cannot decrypt him your files - he can copy the encrypted files to PC but they will be of no use for him)

However, without encryption, if your phone (with the TWRP installed) gets stolen, thief can simply boot to TWRP and copy all your personal files to PC.
    He can then open and read your documents, see your private photos, etc

---

The official Google FBE documentation is available at:

---

And one important tip:
    When installing custom ROM, usually you have to FORMAT Data (not just Wipe) that your new ROM could properly reformat FBE for itself - only then things will work as described (TWRP and FBE)

But all that is out-of-topic for our Magisk thread

Developers of custom ROMs should provide clear instructions how to properly install their ROMs - and their users of custom should take time to read instructions before flashing👍

---

You can go to /vendor/etc/ (aka /system/vendor/etc one has to be mounted to the other in Android)
    and find a file fstab.* (on my phone it is named fstab.emmc).
    That's the read-only, textual file

Inside, search for /userdata (filesystem definition).
    On my phone it looks like:
    Code:
    /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata /data f2fs noatime,nosuid,nodev,discard,inlinecrypt,reserve_root=32768,resgid=1065,fsync_mode=nobarrier latemount,wait,check,formattable,fileencryption=aes-256-xts:aes-256-cts:v2+emmc_optimized+wrappedkey_v0,keydirectory=/metadata/vold/metadata_encryption,metadata_encryption=aes-256-xts:wrappedkey_v0,quota,reservedsize=128M,sysfs_path=/sys/devices/platform/soc/1d84000.ufshc,checkpoint=fs

Actually, inside that line look for the fileencryption definition - in my case:
    Code:
    fileencryption=aes-256-xts:aes-256-cts:v2+emmc_optimized+wrappedkey_v0

Flag :v2 means that I have FBE v2. It's also emmc_optimized with hardware-wrapped keys (details and description can be found in the Google's FBE documentation as linked above)
    By the way, there is another thread with detailed OP instructions for the new Magisk v24/v25:

And a thread that was opened for hiding root with the new Magisk:

Those new threads were opened because of this old and cluttered thread.
    Unfortunately, people still report/ask here (and in parallel complain that thread is too big to read☹️)
    Its trivial to sniff or even MITM a desktop, or even just run WinPE and reset admin password and use the users own saved passwords in their browser, heck even export their passwords....

In any event the biggest risk vector is social engineering

Chasing root phone users only gives them a "feelgood", it does nothing to stop genuine misuse and fraud, at all.....

I dont see Google or a bank sending out a representative every time someone makes a transaction to see if theyre genuine....trying to control the device is attacking the wrong end of the transaction and is ultimately pointless
    They're not chasing root users. They just want a guarantee that the device is secure, and they have good reason to. Rooting by nature compromises device security.

I'm not saying your opinion is invalid; in this context however, it is irrelevant, because regardless of how you may feel about the situation, it's not going to change.
    I had root, a few apps still recognize it, updating to the newest magisk manager shows n/a for magisk installed. Do I just grab my boot IMG out of my ROM and do it sgain? Will I keep all my data and info...?
    Did you have Magisk App hidden when updated?... Classic trap... Supposed to work, but bit like a pot-luck dinner...

You're probably suffering from DACFRAS*, which is NOT fatal but all the clinics are full...

Check in device settings, Apps for your old hidden App... Default name is 'settings', or its what you named it... Uninstall it, and presto!

*Dual Apps Competing For Root Access Syndrome...

😜 PW
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p