Magisk General Support / Discussion

Black_Eyes

Apr 11, 2013
Lahore
No. Read again. It should work on custom roms as long as they don't have their own superuser like CM. Most of them won't support AP anyway. You can try removing built in su and flashing Magisk.
No i mean.
If i'm running stock at the moment and flash magisk on it, then afterwards i can flash custom rom without wiping anything? It will work?

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

No. Read again. It should work on custom roms as long as they don't have their own superuser like CM. Most of them won't support AP anyway. You can try removing built in su and flashing Magisk.
No i mean.
If i'm running stock at the moment and flash magisk on it, then afterwards i can flash custom rom without wiping anything? It will work?

kryptikal

Mar 1, 2015
Anytown
So I removed super SU. Uninstalled Xposed installer, flashed through TWRP Magisk, flashed phh, then flashed Xposed from this thread.

Magisk opens but then then when I try and use the toggles to turn off root to try and use Android Pay it doesn't work and can't turn root back on?

Confused

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I'm having a similar issue.... removed all traces of supersu and systemless xposed, wiped system, cache & dalvik, flashed rom, gapps, elementalx, magisk, magisk compatible phh... after bootup I open the magisk app and try to toggle "Root Mount Toggle" off but it turns itself back on... will try to attach a video if I can.

Last edited:

mobileman88

Oct 27, 2008
I'm having a similar issue.... removed all traces of supersu and systemless xposed, wiped system, cache & dalvik, flashed rom, gapps, elementalx, magisk, magisk compatible phh... after bootup I open the magisk app and try to toggle "Root Mount Toggle" off but it turns itself back on... will try to attach a video if I can.
The magisk app says that Android pay should work. However, safety net helper says response validation failed

Reactions: Skyrocket2Paradise

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
So I removed super SU. Uninstalled Xposed installer, flashed through TWRP Magisk, flashed phh, then flashed Xposed from this thread.

Magisk opens but then then when I try and use the toggles to turn off root to try and use Android Pay it doesn't work and can't turn root back on?

Confused

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Please take a look at the OP You need to have phh's superuser app installed.
My Magisk Manager is poorly programmed and it will crash if it detects root binary but cannot get root access.
It is just a POC. I'll release source code soon, also add more info the the first posts.

Reactions: stokholm and knpk13

ShapeShifter499

Sep 13, 2009
@topjohnwu The BusyBox you use for this is broken or maybe I'm using it wrong? It fails to fetch files files with wget, always a "bad address". I don't see this if I use the wget from Meefik's BusyBox. Any ideas?

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
@topjohnwu, a question for you:

I'm running systemless SuperSU (2.76) and systemless Xposed (86.2). I have no TWRP on my S7 Edge, so I usually root with CF Auto Root and then do everything else with FlashFire. Obviously, if I follow the instructions above, that's not possible. I would return my device to its standard firmware and then have no way to flash the Magisk ZIP, the SuperSU ZIP or anything else.

So, what would happen if I simply used FlashFire to live-flash Magisk onto my current system? One concern is that that would leave me still running an unmodified SuperSU 2.76, and I have no idea if that's compatible with Magisk. I realise you provide a modified version of SuperSU, but it's unclear -- even after reading everything -- whether its use is optional or compulsory.

I couldn't care less about Android Pay, so all I want to do is continue to use systemless Xposed in the future and reap the other benefits that Magisk has to offer. What is the best way to accomplish that without TWRP?

Thanks in advance.
Similar question, but running Android N DP5 on a 5x. I don't believe Flashfire installs SuperSu 2.76 routinely, however. The only way I could flash the Magisk zip is to use Flashfire since I have only stock recovery and no access to twrp until that is fixed. Has anyone given it a try on dp5? I'm not interested in Xposed only AP.

ShapeShifter499

Sep 13, 2009

kryptikal

Mar 1, 2015
Anytown
Captured a video of it toggling itself back on... Magisk Root Toggle Issue

Reactions: saf4xdadev

Fentadroid

Jan 23, 2014
Turin
Let me show you if i underestand everything.
I have a Oneplus 3, now with systemless root.

- I will flash the stock rom once again to remove SuperSU, formatting system partition
- I have to install Magisk-v1.zip
- Then phh-superuser-magisk.zip
- phh's SuperUser App

This way to have a working Android Pay.

Is that correct?

Chahk

Apr 11, 2009
New York
Nexus 6P running stock 6.0.1, previously rooted with systemless SuperSU 2.76, and 86.2 systemless Xposed. I wanted to have root, Xposed, and AndroidPay working. Here's what I've done:

1. Full unroot via SuperSU app. This also uninstalls the app itself and reboots.
2. Reboot to bootloader and restore to stock boot.img via fastboot.
3. Boot to TWRP and flash latest version of Magisk.
4. While still in TWRP flash phh's SuperUser (Magisk compatible.)
5. In TWRP flash 86.3 Xposed.
6. Reboot system, wait forever for the apps to optimize.
7. Install phh's SuperUser app from Play Store.

Everything is working well! Use Magisk Manager to toggle root off and AP works. Toggle root back on and enjoy all the root apps you've been using.

The only downside is that because I switched superuser apps, I now have to grant access to every root app all over again. If you have scheduled overnight jobs in Titanium Backup, those will fail unless you grant the request ahead of time.

xDanVitox

Jan 13, 2009
@topjohnwu Could you add a system shortcut to activate the root toggle so it can be triggered without opening the app? I would love to be able to bind it to a key press or something to make it as seemless as possible! Thanks!

Edit: Similar request posted above as I was typing this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

Reactions: DarkN3ss61

N00dle

Feb 13, 2007
Nexus 6P running stock 6.0.1, previously rooted with systemless SuperSU 2.76, and 86.2 systemless Xposed. I wanted to have root, Xposed, and AndroidPay working. Here's what I've done:

1. Full unroot via SuperSU app. This also uninstalls the app itself and reboots.
2. Reboot to bootloader and restore to stock boot.img via fastboot.
3. Boot to TWRP and flash latest version of Magisk.
4. While still in TWRP flash phh's SuperUser (Magisk compatible.)
5. In TWRP flash 86.3 Xposed.
6. Reboot system, wait forever for the apps to optimize.
7. Install phh's SuperUser app from Play Store.

Everything is working well! Use Magisk Manager to toggle root off and AP works. Toggle root back on and enjoy all the root apps you've been using.

The only downside is that because I switched superuser apps, I now have to grant access to every root app all over again. If you have scheduled overnight jobs in Titanium Backup, those will fail unless you grant the request ahead of time.
I'll have to try this again. I'm going to start over and see if I can get this working.

Last edited:

elreydenj

Aug 12, 2012
Has anyone had any luck on Android N using SuperSU and not phhs SU? After following all of the instructions to a T, when i go to reboot to system it just reboots to recovery instead.....

EDIT: Cant get the options to work with either phh or superSU versions on 6P running DP5 stock rom and stock boot.img.

Last edited:

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
I'm using Samsung G920F. Installed and everthing works, except when I try to Toggle Mount Root back on after using SafetyNet it doesn't work. However a reboot brings root back.
Strange.
Toggles don't seem to work it shows root access but when i toggle nothing happens.
Captured a video of it toggling itself back on... Magisk Root Toggle Issue
If you're actively using root, the unmount might fail.
I might change to lazy unmount in the future, I'll test further and update accordingly.

Let me show you if i underestand everything.
I have a Oneplus 3, now with systemless root.

- I will flash the stock rom once again to remove SuperSU, formatting system partition
- I have to install Magisk-v1.zip
- Then phh-superuser-magisk.zip
- phh's SuperUser App

This way to have a working Android Pay.

Is that correct?
Yes

Has anyone had any luck on Android N using SuperSU and not phhs SU? After following all of the instructions to a T, when i go to reboot to system it just reboots to recovery instead.....

EDIT: Cant get the options to work with either phh or superSU versions on 6P running DP5 stock rom and stock boot.img.
Similar question, but running Android N DP5 on a 5x. I don't believe Flashfire installs SuperSu 2.76 routinely, however. The only way I could flash the Magisk zip is to use Flashfire since I have only stock recovery and no access to twrp until that is fixed. Has anyone given it a try on dp5? I'm not interested in Xposed only AP.
I didn't include the sepolicy-injection tool for DP5. Once official Nougat is out I'll update to work with it.

@topjohnwu About the wget issue, are you compiling this version of BusyBox yourself? Seems the issue with "bad address" is down to which libc is compiled against. As suggested by the following three posts https://github.com/guardianproject/lildebi/issues/161#issuecomment-75177581 https://stackoverflow.com/a/26976653 and http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2011-April/075469.html You need to get it compiled against bionic (android alternative) instead of libc
@topjohnwu The BusyBox you use for this is broken or maybe I'm using it wrong? It fails to fetch files files with wget, always a "bad address". I don't see this if I use the wget from Meefik's BusyBox. Any ideas?
I may compile my own busybox in the future. Thanks for the heads up :)

Reactions: bobby janow