Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Yes, checksum for app-release.apk is the same as when 25210 downloaded from the TG channel

But only the Readme, JSON for auto-updating and latest apk for download, no sources
Ok.
So, the problem XDA Members are having with using this public build of Magisk Alpha is @vvb2060 or the creator of Magisk Alpha didn't post the source code.
Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Reactions: pndwal and dd805bb

pndwal

Post in thread '[Discussion] Magisk Alpha (Public Released) fork - @vvb2060' https://xdaforums.com/t/discussion-magisk-alpha-public-released-fork-vvb2060.4424845/post-88296465

So what I originally said is still true. The GitHub Alpha repos all point to official Magisk now. They didn't a week ago before being wiped...
You originally said:
... The Alpha Canary is the same as the Canary Official, FYI.
This is still NOT true... At best, JSON in vv's Alpha GitHub repo points to official Canary notes, and Alpha does build Canary commits but it adds her experimental ones... always has... And lack of public source doesn't change that; ie. Alpha builds are a very different animal...

For example, recent builds incl latest 25210 include support for experimental (not publicly released) Shamiko v0.6-141. This simply won't run on TJW releases incl. latest Canary ATM... If you want to test early Shamiko you need Alpha...

Another big (and somewhat controversial) difference is that all Alpha builds include (Microsoft based) telemetry... Her pull request for this has been up in TJW Magisk for some time now, but John has never merged this in Canary builds... Yet...

So Alpha is basically Canary with additional (experimental) commits, and there is no published "Alpha Canary" but if there were it would be reasonable to expect it that would contain the unique Alpha commits too...

Many of vv's Alpha commits end up in TJW Magisk, as do commits from Shana's Metagisk and Canyie's Bravo as well as commits developed in other test branches from these Devs (most prolific) and from other forks/Devs also... PW

pndwal

View attachment 5868873

It's all shared from a private channel you can't even see. And the owner isn't listed.
That's only the original (Chinese) Alpha Discussion thread, now name has changed but a number of members here are in that discussion... Builds aren't shared there however, only in the official Alpha channel...

Anyone can still join if they find the cryptic (musical) entrance link in the official Alpha TG channel... 😁 PW

• Haha
Reactions: dd805bb

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
This is the Magsik Alpha. The links on this page link to Magisk Debug latest version. The code hasn't been updated but the links and where they are the same as canary/debug official build.
For those who might be confused is that the official Magisk Alpha GitHub source (wrong, it is not) and why its Readme Download links to the official Canary (yielding somebody to wrongly think that Alpha is nothing else but Magisk Canary)

Back then in the late summer of 2021, Magisk v23 was still the latest official version

However, TJW (developer and founder of Magisk), who started to work for Google some months earlier, with his peers (some of them are now Magisk Alpha developers) started to work on the new Magisk v24 with the brand new Zygisk, DenyList instead of MagiskHide, removed support for the old Modules Repo, etc

The new code was already committed to his GitHub repo (changes were ongoing) but the new Magisk Canary v24xxx had not been released yet (afaik, it was soon afterwards, during the fall of 2021)

Guys (actually girls or more appropriately, young ladies, students) from the Alpha group released their Magisk Alpha and for many of us here (who dared to install and use) that was the first experience with what would soon come with the new Magisk v24 (for a long time back then in 2021, Alpha provided the new Magisk+DenyList but also the alternative, the old MagiskHide instead)

Btw, that was also the reason why they probably chose the Alpha name - it was like an experimental, pre-release, earlier than the Magisk Canary (and Magisk Beta) v24 came out.
(Another viable theory: They thought of themselves as Alpha females😁)

And they had Magisk Alpha source code open on the GirHub (it remained open until the end of last year or so), and they themselves experimented with the new stuff through the Magisk Alpha installations, eg, developing/debugging modules like Zygisk-LSPosed (for that new Zygisk) and Shamiko (to hide Zygisk) - those modules were indeed developed and still maintained (btw, isn't Shamiko also closed source?!) from the same Alpha developers group

Hence somebody, that CoderThyn (sorry, I'm not familiar with that name but I think he was not part of Magisk nor Alpha development) forked their code

If you look to his GitHub project (you provided the link), you will see that it's frozen in time, 2 years old, last update Sep 2021 (screenshots below)

Btw, the same guy has another Alpha fork (the other screenshot below), 'newer' - albeit from Oct 2021😁

The Readme you see there is also frozen in time: Readme page (Alpha devs did not waste time on writing their own Readme.md but they reused TJW Readme from the official Magisk) - scroll down and you will see that it refers to v23 as the 'latest' Stable Magisk

(That old Readme had also a link to the Wiki - Wiki was recently removed since the author of Wiki is no more 'in' and does no more update his Wiki, although it would still be an excellent user guide for many)

All together, that GitHub link you provided is nothing else but the two years old fork of Magisk Alpha, frozen back in that time.
If you would fork yourself and build (assuming the source is complete there) you would obtain some Magisk Alpha v23xxx (as their version numbers were before Magisk v24 was released)

And the download link points to the (always the latest) official Canary since that's how it was in the Alpha Readme.md when CoderThyn forked Magisk Alpha back in Sep 2021 (again, once upon a time When the World Was New and Alpha was the open source)

Hence that GitHub project is not an up-to-date Magisk Alpha and its download link does not provide a link to download the Magisk Alpha (ie, when you click to 'his' Download and get the latest official Magisk Canary, it does not mean that Alpha = Canary - it is not and it never was)

Hopefully it resolves the confusion

Attachments

• IMG_20230322_092033.jpg
    IMG_20230322_092033.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20230322_091832.jpg
    IMG_20230322_091832.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230322_092123.jpg
    IMG_20230322_092123.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20230322_092426.jpg
    IMG_20230322_092426.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Nergal di Cuthah

Sep 20, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Reactions: ipdev and pndwal

pndwal

Last edited:
Reactions: wugga3 and ipdev

dd805bb

Sep 18, 2017
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL

John was not part of that group. Quit spreading lies.

And to go even farther.
Canary= bleeding edge
Beta= almost stable
Official/alpha(term not app=stable
Hence husky using Delta name because Delta would be before Canary. Backwards alphabet like most projects. Idk where you think Alpha would before Canary. Read the GitHub she was using. She was pulling from the main branch and basically re-forking it with a commit or 2 changed from Canary. More than likely small things like package name and update channel. Literally above in John's own post from over a year ago he denounced them using that name. He didn't say anything about him being in it..if he did start it, why use that name and then call them out for using that name? I mean that sounds off. It's a good story though. She is a contributor, or was or whatever she is now. She flipped on being open source with Alpha. That is fact. Shared in a Chinese only TG. I wouldn't trust it. "Confusing."

Last edited:
Reactions: Nergal di Cuthah

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
John was not part of that group. Quit spreading lies.
Who is spreading the lies?

Who ever said here that John is part of the Alpha group?!

If you accuse anybody here that we are spreading lies - then link that post and quote particularly that sentence where it was 'said' that John is part of the Alpha group!!!

Or otherwise please stop spreading the lies (that somebody was saying here that John is part of the Alpha group)

---

And about the lies - it's harsh word but you were the one who stated more than once in your previous posts that Alpha is just a Magisk Canary - wasn't that a 'lie'?

And btw, the Twitter post you attached is well known for many of us here - look into the Magisk general thread for about a year ago, it was posted there by @pndwal

Last edited:

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
my magisk is "d52ea1b0-alpha:MAGISK:R (25210)"

how do I go back to the latest stable version?

thank you.
If Magisk is working, get the APK of the version you want, change the name of the file so it ends in ".zip", and use the Magisk manager app to install it as if it were a module.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
can I flash/install the zip in twrp?
That old method is still valid if the appropriate TWRP (more generally, a custom recovery, it could be OrangeFox, SHRP, etc) exists for the particular phone and ROM

However, there are phones for whom no custom recovery was ported

Or worse, there is a custom recovery (like TWRP) but it does not support storage encryption, etc

For those reasons, and to avoid reports being wrongly addressed to Magisk: "I flashed Magisk through TWRP but it did not install properly" or similar - John does not recommend flashing Magisk through TWRP and instead he recommends the patch and flash method

---

Hence to put it simple - if you know that on your same phone, with the same TWRP and the same ROM you previously and successfully used TWRP to flash Magisk, then no reason it should not work properly again

But if you upgraded the ROM, particularly the Android version, then there is a chance that your old TWRP may not work properly anymore

Hence it depends (there is no definite answer Yes or No). You should know for your phone/ROM/TWRP or you should try

pndwal

This with @mrjuniork's leave (thanks):
Not sure who you're addressing here or accusing, but who's spreading lies? And who ever suggested John was part of any 'Alpha' group?!... No one's lying that I've seen...

And to go even farther.
Canary= bleeding edge
Beta= almost stable
Official/alpha(term not app=stable
Hence husky using Delta name because Delta would be before Canary. Backwards alphabet like most projects. Idk where you think Alpha would before Canary. Read the GitHub she was using. She was pulling from the main branch and basically re-forking it with a commit or 2 changed from Canary. More than likely small things like package name and update channel. Literally above in John's own post from over a year ago he denounced them using that name. He didn't say anything about him being in it..if he did start it, why use that name and then call them out for using that name? I mean that sounds off. It's a good story though. She is a contributor, or was or whatever she is now. She flipped on being open source with Alpha. That is fact. Shared in a Chinese only TG. I wouldn't trust it. "Confusing."
... Seems you may be responding to @zgfg's post here, but let me clarify for everyone:

Alpha has been around for a long while, and was originally vvb2060's (Nangong Xueshan's) personal fork. It was not a group effort, and still probably isn't, although vv may well oblige other LSP Devs like @canyie with experimental support for new Shamiko functions etc; after all theses Devs all contribute to that now.

'Alpha' experimental builds go back to 2018 with 'Lite' and 'MTK' builds going back at least to May 2020.

These were clearly test builds for fixes later to be merged into official Magisk with feedback/testing provided by Devs native Chinese Telegram community, and Magisk would be completely different if it hadn't been for them. However, until recent times, Alpha and other forks have gone relatively unnoticed despite their impact.

Alpha was always basically the test fork for vv's fixes, and her changes have been at the forefront of Magisk development for some years now... So many major innovations in official Magisk have been developed in vv's Alpha fork and in her lesser known Lite, MTK and other branches...

Just to mention a sampling I posted more than a year ago: MTK compatibility, single package delivery, 64bit support, sepolicy fixes, several isolated process fixes, fixes for UID, MicroG, process names, file based encryption, mount rules for Sammy, auto-close issues bot, reboot menu, multi-user and shared user id compatibility fixes, hidden apps, Chinese doc translations, offline restore app, unsupported environment checking, fix for apex path (a big one), permission fixes, module Installation fixes, Kotlin code cleanup, MagiskHide stopping fix, Renamable App / single package Magisk archive (developed in cooperation with John).... And countless more recent commits for various devices/compatibility, new functionality and major refactoring of magiskinit injection, sepolicy rules and so on...

As @zgfg mentioned, users here have been testing / discussing @vvb2060's innovations for a good while; Existing Magisk is already very much @vvb2060's, and she is now not just a contributor but an official Magisk Dev...

Far from 'pulling/changing a commit or two, likely small things like package name and update channel', Alpha has added/tested many major innovations and compatibility fixes before they were ever merged in Canary... Alpha is a prime reason John has made comments like:

I had already posted about vv's Alpha, and Lite (test branch for whitelist MagiskHide hidelist for bypassing isolated process leak detections banks had started using) Magisk forks but switched to Alpha for daily use in May 2021 simply because (with his new Android Security job) John was no longer updating official Magisk and this was a way to test fixes in the melting pot without any Canary builds available...

After posting about my Alpha use experience (I said there is "presently no better substitute for Canary builds with regular updates that I'm aware of"), several members here like @zgfg also moved to Alpha in or after August 2021. This was because John had not produced Magisk updates for many months pending the result of Google's internal review of his open-source project as a new 'big tec' employee (see https://topjohnwu.medium.com/state-of-magisk-2021-fe29fdaee458 ), but was now again making commits/fixes in Magisk channels as he, along with vvb2060 and other Devs, was developing new Zygisk Magisk hooking functionality... This was a fairly long process including replacing much MagiskHide/HideList code with the different if simpler DenyList, and still no Canary builds were forthcoming until October 24...

Alpha allowed many of us to test John's official commits (vv was largely focused on testing and contributing to John's changes at this time also) and early Zygisk / Denylist during those 3 months without the need to build personal Magisk 'snapshots' ourselves... (Of course there would also have been official CI builds available, but Alpha had the advantage of filtering out most broken test builds.) This is the period @zgfg was referring to in his post; effectively, as you put it, 'Alpha was before Canary' at least in publishing test builds publicly for some 3 months...

In October, with Zygisk in 23010, most of us moved back to official Canary for daily use/testing. 😜

Lastly, John has never 'denounced' Alpha (or vv) for using the Alpha name; he simply stated:

... It seems that vv was quite agreeable too, and that Alpha discussion group you mentioned even hosted a contest to choose a new name... In the end it seems changing the package name from Magisk to Alpha was mutually acceptable however (so it's just Alpha, not Alpha Magisk)...

Hope this little (recent) history lesson helps. 🙂 PW

Edit: Please be careful if responding to this. 😜

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

UPDATE: I got it to work by extracting and flashing the stock boot.img and recovery.img via odin. I guess that's a dirty fix and IDK why this worked and flashing the whole stock rom didn't
    If you flashed a stock ROM, you effectively uninstalled Magisk, except for the /data/adb directory.
    Ii'll check that folder (if I can install TWRP or something) in order to clean up, but my goal now is to reroot it.
    Did the flashing of the stock ROM involve doing a "factory reset / wipe data"?
    No, but, I did one factory reset from Android's configuration menu in order to clean up, set up the phone and debloat it (I bought it used). It worked afterwards but I screwed up when debloating so then I did the stock rom flash.
    If you have a problem after trying to reinstall Magisk, the things to check are:
    • did you patch and flash the right file?
    • did you change the version of Magisk?
    • did you change the version of Android?
    I'll keep that in mind when I try to reroot.
    Thanks for your response!
    UPDATE: I got it to work by extracting and flashing the stock boot.img and recovery.img via odin. I guess that's a dirty fix and IDK why this worked and flashing the whole stock rom didn't
    Keep in mind that official instructions still state:

Important Notes​

• Never, ever try to restore either boot, init_boot, recovery, or vbmeta partitions back to stock! You can brick your device by doing so, and the only way to recover from this is to do a full Odin restore with data wipe.
    • To upgrade your device with a new firmware, NEVER directly use the stock AP tar file with reasons mentioned above. Always patch AP in the Magisk app and use that instead.
    although I know many Sammy users have been able to recover from this mistake without wiping data... Seems you've put your finger on the working method for your device... Not sure if trick would work for any Samsung device however, but may be useful for others...

Take care with upgrades in future! 😉

Ii'll check that folder (if I can install TWRP or something) in order to clean up, but my goal now is to reroot it.
    If goal is to reroot, you can leave configuration as-is... Only modules that become incompatible with later Android versions may cause bootloop, but normally the previous Magisk configuration files are OK... If you want to force a configuration rebuild (restore clean Magisk, no modules, superuser list, DenyList etc) after installation, just delete everything in /data/adb after rooted with a root explorer and reboot; configuration files will then be rebuilt.

🤠 PW

No, but, I did one factory reset from Android's configuration menu in order to clean up, set up the phone and debloat it (I bought it used). It worked afterwards but I screwed up when debloating so then I did the stock rom flash.

I'll keep that in mind when I try to reroot.
    Thanks for your response!
    I think you are confused. (I know I am.)

You said you flashed the stock ROM. Then you said you patched and flashed, which implies that the device was running after flashing the stock ROM. So you never mentioned trying to recover from the bootloop by flashing the entire stock ROM. I believe it would have worked, you just didn't do it.

The thing that needed to be fixed was the bootloop after patching and flashing. I listed the first few things that came to mind that would explain why you got a bootloop. Those are the things that you need to be careful of the next time you try to install Magisk.

If you have never had Magisk installed, you can ignore everything that refers to a previous installation of Magisk. Your bootloop was probably a matter of patching and flashing the boot from a different version of the ROM. Or maybe it was patching the boot image when you need to patch the recovery image.

When installing Magisk on a Samsung device, you should "patch" the entire AP.tar file. Magisk will patch three images within the tar file (assuming either the Recovery option is selected by default, or you specifically select it). Then you hand the patched AP.tar to Odin and everything in it gets "flashed". After you've gotten it working, if you're a glutton for punishment you can see if you can patch and flash less than the full AP.tar, but I think you still have to give a tar file to Odin.
    I'm now having a problem hiding the TJW Magisk 27002 app ...

I finally was able to resurrect my old Pixel 5. It's running stock A11 and was running TJW Magisk 26004 with no problem.

The Magisk manager was showing that the upgrade to 27002 was ready for installation, and so I did the following:

(1) Unhide Magisk
    (2) Update Magisk (27002 was listed)
    (3) After Magisk manager restarted, I did Direct Update to 27002, including reboot
    (4) Magisk 27002 indeed came up properly after reboot.
    (5) Tried to perform Hide The Magisk App.

I entered the arbitrary name for hiding, and I clicked "OK". But the hiding never took place.

I rebooted again, to see if perhaps that's necessary, and I repeated the hiding attempt by adding the same arbitrary name, and I again clicked "OK". But the hiding still didn't take place.

I searched my device, and there is no app nor shortcut with that arbitrary name. I also tried other, different arbitrary names, but after clicking "OK", the hiding still didn't take place for any name I chose.

What am I missing?
    Known issue. A fix has been merged. You can use the Debug app, revert back to 27001 or wait until 27003 is released.

EDIT: Ninja'd 🙃
    Is the Magisk 27001 APK/zip still available anywhere? I'd like to downgrade, but I can only find 27000 on Github and 27002 via update. I don't want to go to Canary in case the mounting changes break anything, or Debug as I hear the extra logging etc. causes performance issues (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Only v27000 is Stable. (and Beta). v27001 and v27002 are Canary or Debug

Set your Update Channel to Stable and you will see (just like you can see also on GitHub) that latest Stable is v27000, there was never Stable v27001 or v27002

Generally, Stable is always Nx100

So, you cannot downgrade to Stable v27001 but Canary v27001 should be just like Stable v27000 (same codebase). That's also the general policy, whenever Nx100 Stable is released, then immediately comes Canary Nx100 +1, on the same code-base

Therefore, downgrade to Stable v27000 instead
    Direct Install with recovery mode checked worked for me. You were right.

After I flashed wrong CSC firmware my baseband and EMEIs disappeared. Now I have updated bootloader and I cant to flash original CSC firmware anymore. Any ideas how to restore baseband, EMEIs or it is too late?
    Yep, I told you several times that you need Recovery mode (selected) for your Ramdisk=No device; instructions for this are also clear in official Installation Instruction page too, but apparently you have not been trying to follow official instructions, so it's no real surprise you've messed up firmware too... Please take *extra* care when modding as there are simply so many variables and pitfalls! 😬

Are you flashing patched AP (Application Processor binary) along with all the other package binaries (X4?) for your S10+ (also in Magisk Installation page, Samsung section)??

CP is Cellular Processor (Nb. Oft repeated references to CP as 'core processor' may be misleading) binary package (also referred to as Baseband Modem) so that should have fixed mismatched baseband etc... correct CSC (Consumer Software Customization; region, APN and carrier specific software packages/settings) and even BL (Bootloader) are most likely also important...

Nb. BL doesn't always update bootloader version, but if later firmware has been flashed be aware that these can also cause anti-roll back version for bootloader to be incremented (in the event that an update patches serious vulns) so you original firmware may be blocked and you may need to use later packages only...

If flashing latest complete firmware package via Odin doesn't fix your IMEI / baseband issues it may be that you've messed with partitions that contain unique device values in the past... You may need to ask in Galaxy, S10 or S10+ XDA forums for that. 🤠 PW
    I'm now having a problem hiding the TJW Magisk 27002 app ...

I finally was able to resurrect my old Pixel 5. It's running stock A11 and was running TJW Magisk 26004 with no problem.

The Magisk manager was showing that the upgrade to 27002 was ready for installation, and so I did the following:

(1) Unhide Magisk
    (2) Update Magisk (27002 was listed)
    (3) After Magisk manager restarted, I did Direct Update to 27002, including reboot
    (4) Magisk 27002 indeed came up properly after reboot.
    (5) Tried to perform Hide The Magisk App.

I entered the arbitrary name for hiding, and I clicked "OK". But the hiding never took place.

I rebooted again, to see if perhaps that's necessary, and I repeated the hiding attempt by adding the same arbitrary name, and I again clicked "OK". But the hiding still didn't take place.

I searched my device, and there is no app nor shortcut with that arbitrary name. I also tried other, different arbitrary names, but after clicking "OK", the hiding still didn't take place for any name I chose.

What am I missing?
    Known problem with 27002, the debug version doesn't have the problem with hiding, read back to see the discussion about it
    Thanks for your reply.
    So I stay for the moment at Magisk 26.4 für my Xiaomi 14 Ultra. Because there is xiaomi.eu ROM for my phone available since 2 hours, I will flash this tomorrow und with the Module from Xiaomi.eu Team I do not need Playintegrity anymore.

So do I understand correct, to hide root I should use Shamiko? Latest Shamiko can be found here https://github.com/LSPosed/LSPosed.github.io/releases correct?
    Since Xiaomi eu is a custom ROM, their devs made the injector, 'module' that tricks DroidGuard and injects the spoofs with no need for Magisk/root and Zygisk

And as that, you achieve Device Integrity without the Magisk.
    But if you install Magisk, you have to hide Magisk and Zygisk by your own

So yes, you can use Shamiko and it should work (I used that kind of setup at the beginning of this year, for like two weeks, with no problems)

But then ask yourselves - what for do you need Magisk. If using like Viper4Android, useful LSPosed modules - then, yes

If not, better uninstall Magisk and you will only have Xiaomi.eu injector. Btw, yes, it is rather injector than a module, it's full name is XiaomiEUInject

Regarding the prints - there are now no more publicly available working prints, hence a vast majority of rooted users use the prints 'stolen' from the Xiaomi.eu injector. When Google bans them, both sides will be equally affected. And assuming that Xiaomi.eu team quickly publishes their new version of injector, (last time it was in a matter of hours) with the new prints, all those rooted users will jump again to their new prints from tha new injector (new version of PIF was published less than an hour upon the Xiaomi.eu injecto was updated)

But if Google makes a slaughter like last time (now there are about 20 times less working prints than previously) and if Xiaomi.eu team does not come up (quickly) with the new injector (and the new working prints), than better don't think what could happen.
    Btw, Wallet can run about half a day on the cached previous Play Integrity pass

Hence, with the Xiaomi.eu injector or with PI Fix (with its built-in prints), PI Fork with the corresponding autopif script, etc, you are equally exposed to the Google's mercy

Therefore, if you really need Magisk, you can also keep using the PI Fix/For with the disabled Xiaomi.eu injector. It will be easier for your maintenance than to struggle with both worlds in parallel (although, that can work as well)
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p