• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Magisk Manager: Manager was denied Superuser rights (and buttons missing)

Search This thread

chriv

Mar 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Please see the posted screenshot image for the problem. I just got a brand new OnePlus 8 Pro today, updated the firmware (it's current and running Android 11), unlocked the bootloader, installed my data, and rooted it. Since there is no TWRP for Android 11 for this device, I had to manually extract the current boot.img and patch it myself with Magisk Manager to root this device.

On the first boot after root, I launched Magisk Manager. The countdown timer was so fast, I did not have a chance to grant Magisk Manager root permissions. Now Magisk Manager is being denied Superuser permissions, and there are no buttons at the bottom of Magisk Manager to set Magisk Hide settings or set what apps are allowed Superuser/root.

I have googled as well as searched this forum for relevant help, and have found nothing helpful (really, I may have missed something, but I did try). How can I reset the apps allowed root permissions so that I can grant Magisk Manager the Superuser permissions it needs to function?

Screenshot_20210210-171736.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I already tried force stopping Magisk Manager and clearing the storage for Magisk Manager (which did nothing to solve the problem).

chriv

Mar 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
The Magisk app does not need to ask for superuser access. It is the one that grants it... In other words, one way or the other Magisk is looking for a hidden Magisk app with a package name that doesn't match the one you're using.

Try deleting /data/adb/magisk.db. It'll reset everything (including granted superuser requests, etc) and you can reinstall the app and start over.

Reactions: chriv

chriv

Mar 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The Magisk app does not need to ask for superuser access. It is the one that grants it... In other words, one way or the other Magisk is looking for a hidden Magisk app with a package name that doesn't match the one you're using.

Try deleting /data/adb/magisk.db. It'll reset everything (including granted superuser requests, etc) and you can reinstall the app and start over.

Thank you. This is no longer an issue (I have a new issue that is unrelated to this thread, so I'll search for the solution to it).

chriv

Mar 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Just out of curiosity, did you solve it be deleting the database file?

I wish I could say, yes, but no. Long story short, I started over from a clean phone install. Unfortunately, (this part is off topic), I accidently upgraded to 11.0.4.4.IN11AA with an OTA after starting over (the version almost nobody has yet), didn't realize it, and patched a stock 11.0.2.2.IN11AA boot.img and flashed it to the boot partition. Magisk and root worked great, but WiFi and phone calls were broken. Now I'm stuck waiting to get the 11.0.4.4.IN11AA full package (Global/NA/US version of 11.0.4.4) to fix everything (by extracting the boot.img from a payload dumper).

chriv

Mar 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't try it. My phone was already in a state where I could not try it (and this no longer applied) before I saw this message. I am very grateful for the assistance/information.

SparJar

Feb 21, 2012
Just for anyone else finding this thread having this issue and forgetting they told Magisk to change it's APK name to stay hidden like I did. Look for a second "Settings" app on your phone. That's what Magisk changes itself to.

Reactions: aleep123

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Can you please explain?
There's a setting in the Magisk app where you can rename it with a random package name, to hide it and make the app harder to detect. This will give it a generic Android icon and give it the same "Settings" (previously it would name the repackaged app "Manager").

CTH-EVO

OK I missed the prompt to grant access to the ADB shell. Where's the settings for all the applications permission grants? So that I can untick the "deny" for ADB shell. I've changed the setting from prompt to grant, and tried again. But the toast just says Shell denied superuser access.

Thanks. :)

--Chris

EDIT:
OK I just installed a terminal app and nuked
/data/adb/magisk/magisk.db
which allowed me to start the permission process over.
This sure seems like a brutal approach to grant/permission management. It also requires starting the whole process from scratch. :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just for anyone else finding this thread having this issue and forgetting they told Magisk to change it's APK name to stay hidden like I did. Look for a second "Settings" app on your phone. That's what Magisk changes itself to.