Question magisk module caused bootloop. how to remove module in safe mode.

Search This thread

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
a magisk module has caused a bootloop. I can enter safe mode. how do I remove the module whilst in safe mode? thre's no sign of magisk? have I lost root in safe mode?
If you are in safe mode, then just reboot. Your Magisk mods will be disabled and then you can remove the offending module in the Magisk app.

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
After reboot my nacisk modules are still active and installed.
I thought ones phone is rebooted in save mode modules will be disabled.
Am I doing something wrong?

• Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Safe mode disables all Magisk Modules. Rebooting after entering safe mode, all Magisk Modules will remain disabled until you individually re-enable any of them.

You're following the correct directions to get into safe mode? It's tricky and temperamental, and also, at least if you use a third-party launcher, all widgets will need setting up again, but not sure if the same thing happens with Pixel Launcher after entering safe mode, too.
Google's Help Page for Find problem apps by rebooting to safe mode - this can be a lifesaver and keep you from having to do a restore to 100% complete stock or even from having to do a factory reset. This will deactivate all Magisk modules, and they'll remain deactivated even after you boot normally after briefly booting to safe mode. You can reenable the Magisk modules as you wish to try to narrow down the problem if it was caused by a Magisk module. This can even get things working again after a Magisk Module wasn't finished installing and potentially causing a bootloop.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
Safe mode disables all Magisk Modules. Rebooting after entering safe mode, all Magisk Modules will remain disabled until you individually re-enable any of them.

You're following the correct directions to get into safe mode? It's tricky and temperamental, and also, at least if you use a third-party launcher, all widgets will need setting up again, but not sure if the same thing happens with Pixel Launcher after entering safe mode, too.
Thank for your response.
Yes, in save mode I can see that everything is disabled even magisk, ones I reboot to system my modules are still installed. Weird...
I don't use any custom launcher.
Do I need to have broken module that actually make my phone blootloop? And than save mode will disable all modules?
Thank you again for help

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Thank for your response.
Yes, in save mode I can see that everything is disabled even magisk, ones I reboot to system my modules are still installed. Weird...
Do I need to have broken module that actually make my phone blootloop? And than save mode will disable all modules?
Thank you again for help
You're welcome. The modules won't be uninstalled, only disabled - there's a toggle on every module to re-enable it again. No, you don't need to have a broken module that makes your phone bootloop in order for safe mode to disable all Magisk Modules.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
You're welcome. The modules won't be uninstalled, only disabled - there's a toggle on every module to re-enable it again. No, you don't need to have a broken module that makes your phone bootloop in order for safe mode to disable all Magisk Modules.
So something doesn't work for me.
My modules are still enabled.
Picture is posted right after rebooting from save mode.

Edit
I noticed that my widgets are only disabled

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221004-202129.jpg
    Screenshot_20221004-202129.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
So something doesn't work for me.
My modules are still enabled.
Picture is posted right after rebooting from save mode.

Edit
I noticed that my widgets are only disabled
I believe you. I have no idea. The last time I used safe mode was probably 7-8 months ago or more. It definitely didn't behave like that for me.

Is it actually a problem, since you're not boot looping - since you're able to boot normally anyway?

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
I believe you. I have no idea. The last time I used safe mode was probably 7-8 months ago or more. It definitely didn't behave like that for me.

Is it actually a problem, since you're not boot looping - since you're able to boot normally anyway?
I am just testing just in case installing bad magisk module.
Couple months ago I needed reinstall all my phone because of it.
I guess I still can't risk. 😞

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I am just testing just in case installing bad magisk module.
Couple months ago I needed reinstall all my phone because of it.
I guess I still can't risk. 😞
Do you just disable them manually before updating, or you just don't update? I disable all mine manually before updating, although certainly once you enable any again, yes, it's possible for it to start boot looping. Usually by then I'll hear about these certain modules causing bootloops on the latest update, though.

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
Do you just disable them manually before updating, or you just don't update? I disable all mine manually before updating, although certainly once you enable any again, yes, it's possible for it to start boot looping. Usually by then I'll hear about these certain modules causing bootloops on the latest update, though.
I always disable all modules before system update. I don't have a problem with that.

I got a blootloop after installing "bad" magisk module. That's why I installed bootloop saver module but it doesn't seems to work for me.

• Wow

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I always disable all modules before system update. I don't have a problem with that.

I got a blootloop after installing "bad" magisk module. That's why I installed bootloop saver module but it doesn't seems to work for me.
Yeah, I gave up on Bootloop Saver Module. I see you still have it installed. I suggest uninstalling it - I wonder if it's interfering with the stock Android experience after rebooting from safe mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    a magisk module has caused a bootloop. I can enter safe mode. how do I remove the module whilst in safe mode? thre's no sign of magisk? have I lost root in safe mode?
    If you are in safe mode, then just reboot. Your Magisk mods will be disabled and then you can remove the offending module in the Magisk app.
    thanks for the reply, yes I figured that out in the end. ha! came very close to resetting the phone!

Google's Help Page for Find problem apps by rebooting to safe mode - this can be a lifesaver and keep you from having to do a restore to 100% complete stock or even from having to do a factory reset. This will deactivate all Magisk modules, and they'll remain deactivated even after you boot normally after briefly booting to safe mode. You can reenable the Magisk modules as you wish to try to narrow down the problem if it was caused by a Magisk module. This can even get things working again after a Magisk Module wasn't finished installing and potentially causing a bootloop.

Thank for your response.
    Thank you again for help
    Thank for your response.
    Thank you again for help