• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Magisk Module causing freeze at boot

Search This thread

skoomaeater

Mar 21, 2018
I have a Moto x4 running android 8.1 Oreo with November security patches and magisk v18. Stock recovery and rom. I tried installing a couple magisk modules and the phone won't boot with magisk patched boot image installed. I have restored the stock boot image backup and the phone will run without magisk. I have erased magisk manager's cache, and even uninstalled magisk manager, but the modules are still installed and if i use fastboot boot patched_boot.img it won't boot. My system is encrypted and when I boot the TWRP bootable, I am unable to flash or delete anything outside of the user data or my SD card. I cannot install any zip including magisk manager for recovery or magisk core mode only module. I have tried everything I know to do and then some. Any input or assistance would be greatly appreciated. I would like to avoid resetting my data if possible.

Basically, I think I need to delete magisk.img from my system, but I cannot find it anywhere in my system partition using twrp's file browser. Also, I no longer have root access so I cannot adb root and adb shell into it.

skoomaeater

Mar 21, 2018

skoomaeater

Mar 21, 2018
I got it to work. I needed to use the newest twrp bootable image in order to decrypt the data in recovery. Once this was done, I was able to erase magisk.img with no issues at all. Thanks for all the help.

Top Liked Posts