[Magisk][Module][Deprecated] Unified Hosts Adblocker

Search This thread

yung40oz84

Sep 23, 2014
sites.psu.edu
Module makes new beta 13.5 lose root. I can reproduce over and over. I can install all modules and when install this and reboot there is not root. Also, even if I use adblock I lose root, so it may be related to new beta, not entirely sure. U can find my logs and posts in the magisk beta thread on second to last page. Running DU, Flash kernel. Thanks.

Zackptg5

Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2014
zackptg5.com
Module makes new beta 13.5 lose root. I can reproduce over and over. I can install all modules and when install this and reboot there is not root. Also, even if I use adblock I lose root, so it may be related to new beta, not entirely sure. U can find my logs and posts in the magisk beta thread on second to last page. Running DU, Flash kernel. Thanks.
Can you post the link to your post on that thread for others to see too? There's some changes on the module template in 13.5 I haven't looked at yet, thanks!

Reactions: yung40oz84

yung40oz84

Sep 23, 2014
sites.psu.edu
Can you post the link to your post on that thread for others to see too? There's some changes on the module template in 13.5 I haven't looked at yet, thanks!
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589/post73397845

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589/post73399000

Reactions: Zackptg5

oux

Feb 19, 2017
yesterday I flashed pure fusion os rom on my oneplus 3 and then installed the module but got ads. I started with fgp, but also tried just m since I got that suggestion before. tried reapply a few times and ofcourse rebooted the device several times. Magisk 13.3 and Magisk manager 5.1.1. systemless hosts enabled. my hosts file is 1.37 mb. also tried to wipe cache/dalvik

hitmancho

Jun 18, 2011
I have an issue adding to the whitelist: I create the file, I type in:

0.0.0.0 www.ad.fly
0.0.0.0 www.bit.ly

and everything downloads correctly from the terminal. I use the "su -c hosts m w" command. But I still can't open any links from those ad sites again. Also, what does "regex" and "wildcard" mean in the context of whitelist. I can't understand anything from online results.

Didgeridoohan

Forum Moderator / Developer Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I have an issue adding to the whitelist: I create the file, I type in:

0.0.0.0 www.ad.fly
0.0.0.0 www.bit.ly

and everything downloads correctly from the terminal. I use the "su -c hosts m w" command. But I still can't open any links from those ad sites again. Also, what does "regex" and "wildcard" mean in the context of whitelist. I can't understand anything from online results.

Try removing www.
Code:
0.0.0.0 bit.ly
And search for "grep regex" to find out how to use the regex version of whitelist.

Reactions: hitmancho

Didgeridoohan

Forum Moderator / Developer Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Version 2.7 update! Added feature where the if you already have, for example, v2.7 of the module installed and you flash the 2.7 installer again, it'll uninstall instead of install. Thanks to @Didgeridoohan for the idea (I saw your github issue on it :))

Thanks, but all credit for that idea should go to @Rorsch_X1.

Zackptg5

Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2014
zackptg5.com
Hi @Zackptg5
Could you give any thought on this?

Your log shows that the hosts file is properly mounted so it "should" work but any issues with systemless hosts are from magisk, not this module.
I don't support the beta builds because they're betas and I'd rather not sift through all of the random issues that may pop up (like this one). I've tried the the betas and have had weird stuff like this happen too

Reactions: DAusRon

DAusRon

Aug 31, 2015
Ipoh
Your log shows that the hosts file is properly mounted so it "should" work but any issues with systemless hosts are from magisk, not this module.
I don't support the beta builds because they're betas and I'd rather not sift through all of the random issues that may pop up (like this one). I've tried the the betas and have had weird stuff like this happen too

thanks mate. I'm pretty sure it's not your module's bug as the log already showed it's properly mounted. Maybe it's from the manager 5.2 itself.
Anyway thanks for the heads up.

error404

Jan 27, 2011
error404android.tumblr.com
Hey guys I'm having trouble with white list. I created a file named whitelist in /sdcard and wrote this in the file:
Code:
0.0.0.0 a d f . ly
And also tried
Code:
0.0.0.0 *a d f . ly
(without the spaces of course).
Tried to apply whitelist and regex, but the sites still blocked. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

Zackptg5

Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2014
zackptg5.com
Hey guys I'm having trouble with white list. I created a file named whitelist in /sdcard and wrote this in the file:
Code:
0.0.0.0 a d f . ly
And also tried
Code:
0.0.0.0 *a d f . ly
(without the spaces of course).
Tried to apply whitelist and regex, but the sites still blocked. Am I doing something wrong?

You're missing something :)

The '*' tells grep to repeat any number of the preceding character. Your preceding character is a space so it's not what you'd want. The '.' when used in front of the asterisk means 'any character'. So in your case, try:
Code:
.*a d f . l y.*
and use the 'wr' option.

However, there's no variants of 'a d f . l y' in the unified hosts files so you could just do it the old fashioned way:
Code:
0.0.0.0. a d f . l y
and use the 'w' option.

(without the spaces. That's some weird xda blocking right there)

Last edited:
Reactions: error404

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone