[Magisk][Module][Deprecated] Unified Hosts Adblocker

Search This thread

ktsarlz

Jan 4, 2013
For some reason, I can't get this to work. I have disabled the systemloss option in magisk and enabled in adaway as OP stated. Add his lists. Tried updating but it asks me to symlink which works and then asks me to reboot. Afterwards, checking the app there's still an update it seems it's not applying the changes. It also always asks for the symlink option.

tanfidzularus

Sep 24, 2013
Guys need help,
If i already implement unified adblocks, how about the black list that i add in the adaway? Will it blocks the ads? Or should i add it again manual in terminal?

Reactions: P.Rabbit

parashar_TARUN

Nov 18, 2013
New Delhi
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone. I want to whitelist an application
Hill Climb Racing 2 (com.fingersoft.hcr2)

Can someone help me please. How to do that.
I play that game a lot and the by watching video advertising intentionally I can open chests sooner. That's why I want to whitelist that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: VanoSM

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Hi everyone. I want to whitelist an application
Hill Climb Racing 2 (com.fingersoft.hcr2)

Can someone help me please. How to do that.
I play that game a lot and the by watching video advertising intentionally I can open chests sooner. That's why I want to whitelist that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
You cannot whitelist apps with a host based adblocker.

pv71

Jan 9, 2019
No, as the title says, the usage if this module is deprecated in favour of AdAway. So there will be no update...
See the ops announcement: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/magisk-unified-hosts-adblocker-t3559019/post77280069 from 2018-08-08 and the title of this thread ("deprecated").

How do I block the following: ||vidcpm.com^ This is the format used in ublock Origin. AdAway by default doesn't block it. Just add the above to Blacklist? Thanks.

How do I block the following: ||vidcpm.com^ This is the format used in ublock Origin. AdAway by default doesn't block it. Just add the above to Blacklist? Thanks.
Yes, but adding vidcpm.com to your blacklist will block this host only (and not the whole domain). To block www.vidcpm.com too you have to add it, too.

Reactions: amn1987

saba.ahang

Mar 5, 2012
I'm incredibly disappointed. Unified Hosts Adblocker Module from Magisk previously completely removed ads from everywhere. not only browser but also apps. Now I updated Magisk, and realized that this module is discontinued. Installed Adaway again. It works but ONLY for browser! So deprecating this module is unjustified! Adaway doesn't do the same thing this module did! :( Please anybody has any other suggestion to remove in-app ads that doesn't involved installing exposed!? I don't want to install exposed just for sake of apps

Reactions: Au5t1n

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I'm incredibly disappointed. Unified Hosts Adblocker Module from Magisk previously completely removed ads from everywhere. not only browser but also apps. Now I updated Magisk, and realized that this module is discontinued. Installed Adaway again. It works but ONLY for browser! So deprecating this module is unjustified! Adaway doesn't do the same thing this module did! :( Please anybody has any other suggestion to remove in-app ads that doesn't involved installing exposed!? I don't want to install exposed just for sake of apps

Just change the hosts source in Adaway to Steven Blacks hosts file of your choice (links in the OP) and change the redirect address to 0.0.0.0. That'll be exactly the same as what this module did.

Reactions: Didgeridoohan
Stevenblack host block my Twitter feed and Facebook feed on Android app
As the url/name says: This list tries to save your privacy by blocking sending data to the companies which collect all data of you and your behaviour. If you really need to feed them whitelist your favorite "social" sides or choose another list, e.g. the general one.

Au5t1n

Just change the hosts source in Adaway to Steven Blacks hosts file of your choice (links in the OP) and change the redirect address to 0.0.0.0. That'll be exactly the same as what this module did.
I've added a hosts source but I'm still seeing it change the hosts file within /system/etc/hosts. I've also enabled systemless mode in Adaway so I'm confused :confused:

Edit: I've disabled the Systemless Hosts module within Magisk Manager and then after rebooting I realized that the default hosts file was restored. After re-enabling the module and rebooting again I still see /system/etc/hosts modified from the new specified hosts source. So I guess it's not systemless?

Last edited:

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I've added a hosts source but I'm still seeing it change the hosts file within /system/etc/hosts. I've also enabled systemless mode in Adaway so I'm confused :confused:

Edit: I've disabled the Systemless Hosts module within Magisk Manager and then after rebooting I realized that the default hosts file was restored. After re-enabling the module and rebooting again I still see /system/etc/hosts modified from the new specified hosts source. So I guess it's not systemless?

If you have the systemless hosts module active it's not modifying the real /system/etc/hosts, but the file that Magisk has magic mounted in it's place.

... So I guess it's not systemless?
It is systemless (but because the new file is mounted as /system/etc/hosts you think the original one is changed. But the original system partition is untouched, the checksum is still ok. If you boot into recovery and check the hostfile (e.g. via builtin filemanager after mounting system) you'll notice there's still the old hosts file.

Top Liked Posts