Themes / Apps / Mods Magisk Module for "Conversion" to SD870. Less heat, greater battery life, more than sufficient performance.

Did it work for you?

• Yes

• No

• I didn't try, just wanted to see the poll results

Results are only viewable after voting.
Search This thread

lambstone

Mar 27, 2008
Huawei P20 Pro
Redmi K20 Pro
UPDATE3: Finally managed to test it. Phone temps are much better. Weather over at my location is around 32-25C, with AC turned at 26C, I'm getting phone battery temps of maximum 36C during use, generally stays around 34-35C.
UPDATE2: Just received my replacement 11U, now waiting for the 7 days unlock waiting period
UPDATE1: Added a translated version of the module. Untested.

Note: Please do not post or discuss about performance benchmarks. Regular use and gaming are not affected.

My 11 Ultra got it's wifi chip fried a couple of days ago. The service centre is now processing a new replacement for me. (I work in China so there's that).

In the midst of this extremely annoying debacle. I've looked at various threads and went down the rabbit hole in Chinese forums. Apparently there's a Magisk module that underclocks the CPU and GPU which results in greatly improved thermals. It was a pain in the butt to source this magisk module since Chinese users love asking for people to PM them to share the module. Long story short, took me an hour of searching to find the module.

I've looked through the contents of the magisk module and it does indeed just underclocks the CPU and GPU. Feel free to look at the files inside the zip.

Basically this module does the following
  1. Underclocks X1 core from 2.84ghz to 2.49ghz
    Reduces performance by 13%, reduces power consumption by 32%
  2. Underclocks A78 cores from 2.42ghz to 2.23ghz
    Reduces performance by 5%, reduces power consumption by 14%
  3. Underclocks GPU from 840mhz to 608mhz
    Reduces performance by 27%, reduces power consumption by 54%
This module will result in the SD888 performing around the same level (if not better than) of the SD870 whilst being more efficient than the SD870. User reports the battery temp during regular use as reported by Miui will sit in the range of 30-34C. During gaming it will be around 42C after 1-2 hours of MOBA gaming

Once I receive my replacement device, I'll give this a try and update OP

Attachments

• SD888 Efficient Tuning Module.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 骁龙888最佳能耗比频率 (Original).zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
From my personal testing so far I can tell that battery life is improved, can't say the same for temps thought, probably a couple of degrees cooler average. 'llI reserve more time for testing the battery life as I need more battery cicles to really tell the difference if there is any. Is there any way to check the actual CPU frequency via terminal emulator?

lambstone

Mar 27, 2008
Huawei P20 Pro
Redmi K20 Pro
From my personal testing so far I can tell that battery life is improved, can't say the same for temps thought, probably a couple of degrees cooler average. 'llI reserve more time for testing the battery life as I need more battery cicles to really tell the difference if there is any. Is there any way to check the actual CPU frequency via terminal emulator?
From what I've read in the discussion posts by the original chinese developer. They use something called perfmon. I believe you'll require both the app and the magisk module.

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019

Code:
sleep 30

chmod 644 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 2227200 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
chmod 644 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu7/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 2496000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu7/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
chmod 644 /sys/class/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/max_pwrlevel
echo 4 > /sys/class/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/max_pwrlevel

exit 0

The code cap the maximum frequence for CPU 4&7 and the power for GPU.

Mostly what a kernel auditor can do.

The other way around for reference:

lambstone

Mar 27, 2008
Huawei P20 Pro
Redmi K20 Pro
Code:
sleep 30

chmod 644 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 2227200 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
chmod 644 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu7/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 2496000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu7/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
chmod 644 /sys/class/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/max_pwrlevel
echo 4 > /sys/class/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/max_pwrlevel

exit 0

The code cap the maximum frequence for CPU 4&7 and the power for GPU.

Mostly what a kernel auditor can do.

The other way around for reference:
Pretty much yes. However kernel auditor set them post boot. This magisk module sets them on boot. Or you could always implement a init.d solution.

The magic of a magisk module is it's ease of use and a fire and forget solution

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would say this depends very much on how you use your phone. I'm not playing any games and I didn't see any difference. Might be because my CPU is never fully used to its potential. I can imagine that you could feelable save some power (and heat) if you highly use the CPU with games and stuff.
    UPDATE3: Finally managed to test it. Phone temps are much better. Weather over at my location is around 32-25C, with AC turned at 26C, I'm getting phone battery temps of maximum 36C during use, generally stays around 34-35C.
    UPDATE2: Just received my replacement 11U, now waiting for the 7 days unlock waiting period
    UPDATE1: Added a translated version of the module. Untested.

Note: Please do not post or discuss about performance benchmarks. Regular use and gaming are not affected.

My 11 Ultra got it's wifi chip fried a couple of days ago. The service centre is now processing a new replacement for me. (I work in China so there's that).

In the midst of this extremely annoying debacle. I've looked at various threads and went down the rabbit hole in Chinese forums. Apparently there's a Magisk module that underclocks the CPU and GPU which results in greatly improved thermals. It was a pain in the butt to source this magisk module since Chinese users love asking for people to PM them to share the module. Long story short, took me an hour of searching to find the module.

I've looked through the contents of the magisk module and it does indeed just underclocks the CPU and GPU. Feel free to look at the files inside the zip.

This module will result in the SD888 performing around the same level (if not better than) of the SD870 whilst being more efficient than the SD870. User reports the battery temp during regular use as reported by Miui will sit in the range of 30-34C. During gaming it will be around 42C after 1-2 hours of MOBA gaming

Once I receive my replacement device, I'll give this a try and update OP
    Can I Flash it in Recovery without having installed Magisk ?
    No? This is a magisk module.
    What are those 2 attachments?
    Magisk modules. One is the original by the author which is in Chinese. The other is translated by me.
    You did, that's why I thanked you
    I would say this depends very much on how you use your phone. I'm not playing any games and I didn't see any difference. Might be because my CPU is never fully used to its potential. I can imagine that you could feelable save some power (and heat) if you highly use the CPU with games and stuff.