• Same quality (half bitrate)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Decrease in quality (half bitrate)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread
Feb 18, 2020
Update time

After some tests, I've noticed that the bitrate reduction just doesn't work, so untile future updates the half-bitrate version it's just a WIP. BUT, I've made some changes to the original version, here's the changelog:

Code:
- Add HEVC support for all configurations previously used with H264
- Add HE-AAC support in HEVC encoded profiles
- Remove config files that doesn't affect the mod result
- Update HEVC encoder configuration to match the same limits has H264

Download link:
oneplus-6-6t-hevc-recording-v0.2.zip

I'm updatind the original post too!

Reactions: AndyBury

Arkmars20

May 4, 2017
OnePlus 9
Moto Edge X30
After like two full days of trying I havent been able to reduce the bitrate, changing the default parameters seems to not affect in any way the camera settings, still choose some values automatically that are even different from what's written in the original config file without mod

Well, AndyBury has a point! In fact the HEIF and HEVC are strongly related, and according to Wikipedia "The HEIF specification also defines the means of storing High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC)-encoded intra images and HEVC-encoded image sequences" which surerly means something, but tbh I'm not so sure what's this something. Anyway I was already planning to trying enable HEIF via media_profiles, but seems something more complex than just adding a codec in a list, the only standardized usage of HEIF right now seems to be the one used by Apple on iPhones and Macs, I think that until Google doesn't implement in some way HEIF photos with camera we can't do anaything about it.

No rush and thanks for the update

Reactions: eathtespagheti

mine420

Jan 27, 2011
For me it seems this broke carrier video calling. Also it seems that removing the module doesn't reset the files that were changed to what they were before.

Feb 18, 2020
For me it seems this broke carrier video calling. Also it seems that removing the module doesn't reset the files that were changed to what they were before.
I haven't tested carrier video calling, after removing the module you're able to make video calls?

Removing the module should reset all the files to their original state, pretty sure about that, supposing you have installed it via Magisk Manager. Im not sure if it work the same way flashing via recovery.
If you need them I can upload the originals file so that you can replace them.

mine420

Jan 27, 2011
I haven't tested carrier video calling, after removing the module you're able to make video calls?

Removing the module should reset all the files to their original state, pretty sure about that, supposing you have installed it via Magisk Manager. Im not sure if it work the same way flashing via recovery.
If you need them I can upload the originals file so that you can replace them.

No it didn't revert back after removing the module

Feb 18, 2020
Hy everyone!
Ive got a question.
I've been using this magisk module for my 6t for the hevc codec.

https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-6/themes/magisk-force-hevc-encoding-t3944100/amp/

What is the difference to your mod?
( Using it for 10 months and no problems so far)
I don't want to say anything negative about your work but is there anny difference?
And if is can you make any use of that plugin?!

Woah I was searching for this mod everywhere, since I've didn't found it I've started my own one

I've looked to his files, mainly he doesn't fully "declare" that hevc it's enable and he doesn't correctly add to the supported codecs, there's a chance that hevc will not work with third party apps.
Plus his module enable only HEVC and not HEAAC, which I've enabled in mine, but to be fair I'm going to remove it in the next release to get a better audio quality.
Last but not least important he use the same bitrate values without changing it, while I've made two versions of the module and in one of them I've reduced the bitrate to get about the same video quality as the original H264 codec but with almost half the space used

EDIT:
I'm not planning anymore on removing HEAAC since has turned out that the audio quality with bitrate under 128kbps it's better when using HEAAC instead of AAC, and that AAC has better audio quality for bitrate over 128kbps.
Sinche the audio bitrate for oneplus camera it's 96kbps, I will stick with HEAAC, but I will made some test's to check if I'm able to get a better audio quality increasing the bitrate (and eventually going back to AAC)

Last edited:

AndroidQuanta

Dec 28, 2018
Thank you, developer, got HEVC encoding and a good audio bit rate. Since the stock OP6t camera does not accept external mic. is there any way to enable this using the same module. the open camera app does not give good quality as stock. And G-cam does not give us 4k 60fps.

Using Whatsapp audio calling trick while external mic connected, audio from this mic in stock camera does work. But is there any way without using the Whatsapp calling trick to make it work? 4k60fps + external mic in stock?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I've made a Magisk Module that enable HEVC / H265 Recording in the stock camera App.

This module enable HEVC/H265 video recording on OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T.
    The bitrate values are the same as H264 and the HEVC code it's enabled for all the video profiles that previously used H264.
    The audio codec it's still AAC and the audio bitrate doubles from 96 kb/s to 192 kb/s to get a better audio quality.

I've also made a diffrent fork that use half of the bitrate (and therefor half the space), it also keeps the original audio bitrate and change the audio codec to HEAAC to save space without losing quality

Why should I use HEVC instead of H264?
    Basically, HEVC provide the same quality as H264, but using less of helf the bitrate, this means that you can record videos with the same quality but using less space, or, if you're more inclined to that, record video that use the same space but with better quality (less compression, therefore less artifacts and more details overall). This is the theory behind HEVC, pratically speaking I've noticed some differences, other users havent, so I guess the best way to find out if it really works it's by letting my beloved XDA users test this mod.
    More info about HEVC on Wikipedia

Compatibility:
    Should be compatible with every ROM since the mod change files in the /vendor partition, but I've tested only on OOS Open Beta 33

Original version changelog:
    Code:
    v0.3
    - Change the audio bitrate from 96 kb/s to 192 kb/s
    - Change audio codec from HEAAC to AAC (ha better audio quality for bitrate major than 128 kb/s)

v0.2

v0.1
    - Initial release

Half-bitrate version changelog:
    Code:
    v0.3
    - Change the Bitrate multiplier, now it's 0.38 and the effective bitrate (checked on 4k60fps) it's 60.9 Mb/s

v0.2.1
    - Change the Bitrate multiplier, now it's about 0.4 and use about half of the original space

v0.2

v0.1
    - Initial release

Download links:

For older version check the releases in the gitlab repo
    Source links:

How to check if it's working?
    Shoot a video and then check which coded it's used, you can use this app

Let me know if you see improvements or not, thanks in advance!
    Hy everyone!
    Ive got a question.
    I've been using this magisk module for my 6t for the hevc codec.

https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-6/themes/magisk-force-hevc-encoding-t3944100/amp/

What is the difference to your mod?
    ( Using it for 10 months and no problems so far)
    I don't want to say anything negative about your work but is there anny difference?
    And if is can you make any use of that plugin?!

Woah I was searching for this mod everywhere, since I've didn't found it I've started my own one

I've looked to his files, mainly he doesn't fully "declare" that hevc it's enable and he doesn't correctly add to the supported codecs, there's a chance that hevc will not work with third party apps.
    Plus his module enable only HEVC and not HEAAC, which I've enabled in mine, but to be fair I'm going to remove it in the next release to get a better audio quality.
    Last but not least important he use the same bitrate values without changing it, while I've made two versions of the module and in one of them I've reduced the bitrate to get about the same video quality as the original H264 codec but with almost half the space used

EDIT:
    I'm not planning anymore on removing HEAAC since has turned out that the audio quality with bitrate under 128kbps it's better when using HEAAC instead of AAC, and that AAC has better audio quality for bitrate over 128kbps.
    Sinche the audio bitrate for oneplus camera it's 96kbps, I will stick with HEAAC, but I will made some test's to check if I'm able to get a better audio quality increasing the bitrate (and eventually going back to AAC)
    You're awesome! Thanks for the quick replies, and like I said, you doing this, and saving me space is HUGE. Girlfriend and I are pumped hahaha

I flashed your module and its working. If you can do anything with the bitrate it would be appreciated

After like two full days of trying I havent been able to reduce the bitrate, changing the default parameters seems to not affect in any way the camera settings, still choose some values automatically that are even different from what's written in the original config file without mod

Hi, thanks for the mod [emoji106] just a quick question for you. Is it possible to add Hevc to single shot pictures as well?
    As you should be able to get the same quality pictures for half the size.

Well seeing as how HEVC stands for High Efficiency Video Coding.... No
    But there is HEIF, that's what you want.

Well, AndyBury has a point! In fact the HEIF and HEVC are strongly related, and according to Wikipedia "The HEIF specification also defines the means of storing High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC)-encoded intra images and HEVC-encoded image sequences" which surerly means something, but tbh I'm not so sure what's this something. Anyway I was already planning to trying enable HEIF via media_profiles, but seems something more complex than just adding a codec in a list, the only standardized usage of HEIF right now seems to be the one used by Apple on iPhones and Macs, I think that until Google doesn't implement in some way HEIF photos with camera we can't do anaything about it.
    v0.2.1

Reduced bitrate again, upgrade to version v0.2.1, check the original post
    How to find it withing Magisk Manager? Just search HEVC?

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A6013 utilizzando Tapatalk

Right now isn't available on Magisk Manager, I'm waiting for approval, I don't know how much time it will take, but you can download it from here:

Stock bitrate
    Half bitrate