• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Magisk module need help testing for China and Korea users.

Search This thread

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
The firmware does not contain carrier files for China and Korea carriers.
I made a magisk module that installs these carrier files systemlessly.
I don't live in China or Korea so I have no way to test this.
If you're living in China or Korea, please help me test the module to see if it works.

Thanks.

Attachments

• VoLTE_switch_with_China_Korea_carrier_support.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: cdexswzaq

q.snake

Feb 4, 2013
Hi swangjang, thank you for sharing your module! I used QPST to replace the modified xml files to enable 5G, and now I installed your module. The 5G runs well, but I can't tell if it is enabled by your module.
For VoLTE, the switcher appeared in the option, but it dosen't work. When I made a phone call, the network drop to 3G. (My carrier is China unicom)

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
Hi swangjang, thank you for sharing your module! I used QPST to replace the modified xml files to enable 5G, and now I installed your module. The 5G runs well, but I can't tell if it is enabled by your module.
For VoLTE, the switcher appeared in the option, but it dosen't work. When I made a phone call, the network drop to 3G. (My carrier is China unicom)
Thank you for testing.
I think due to dm-verity, the module files don't actually get placed in the system. I'll need to wait until we get TWRP to disable verity.

Can you try and change sim cards to force the phone to reload the mbn file?

cdexswzaq

Jul 18, 2008
Google Pixel 5
If you're living in China or Korea, please help me test the module to see if it works.

Thanks.

Hi, I live in south korea and I have UK version of Pixel 5(GTT9Q).
I'll try this module tonight and see if it works.

May I ask you where did you get mbn files for korean carrier? In my experience, KT and LGU need some efs modification especially for google pixel series, so directly injecting mbn from other device won't work well.

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
Hi, I live in south korea and I have UK version of Pixel 5(GTT9Q).
I'll try this module tonight and see if it works.

May I ask you where did you get mbn files for korean carrier? In my experience, KT and LGU need some efs modification especially for google pixel series, so directly injecting mbn from other device won't work well.

That attached module is very outdated. Please download from here:

I got the mbn files from Xiaomi Redmi K30. The K30 uses the same chipset as Pixel 5.

cdexswzaq

Jul 18, 2008
Google Pixel 5
Just tested module in south korea, but it doesn't works.
It seems that magisk module is doing it's job. I run root explorer and confirmed that mbm_sw.txt and other additonal korea and china mbn successfully loaded.
But when I run efs explorer, Banner shows "SW_DEFAULT" instead of "LGU".
Maybe Pixel 5 can't load LGU mbn because of some other reason.

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
Just tested module in south korea, but it doesn't works.
It seems that magisk module is doing it's job. I run root explorer and confirmed that mbm_sw.txt and other additonal korea and china mbn successfully loaded.
But when I run efs explorer, Banner shows "SW_DEFAULT" instead of "LGU".
Maybe Pixel 5 can't load LGU mbn because of some other reason.
Thank you for testing. Did you install the A or B? could you try the other one as well to see if it works? Please make sure to uninstall first.
Also maybe take out sim card and insert again?

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
I used A. and took out & changed sim card several times.
I'll check B tonight.
I read on a Korean forum that you may need to visit your carrier customer centre to register your device
Under section 3. part (4), "VoLTE calls can be made only by registering OMD (Open Model Device) as a VoLTE capable model name with each mobile operator".

Also, after installing the module, maybe reboot the device once?

Last edited:

q.snake

Feb 4, 2013
Thank you for testing.
I think due to dm-verity, the module files don't actually get placed in the system. I'll need to wait until we get TWRP to disable verity.

Can you try and change sim cards to force the phone to reload the mbn file?
Hi, I changed the SIM card of another carrier but the 5G is still enabled, even after I installed magisk completely and restore the original files with QPST, the 5G is still there...

I doubt that the new firewares (Feb and Mar updates) canceled the carrier limitation for 5G.

cdexswzaq

Jul 18, 2008
Google Pixel 5
I tried this with korean LGU, SKT simcard, but efs explorer shows SW_DEFAULT or Wildcard banner randomly.
I did sim tray out and in several times, and did WI-FI, Mobile Bluetooth reset on android settings-system menu.

And I also tried Taiwanese Chunghwa Telecom sim card which i got during taiwan travel, (Chunghwa Telecom is one of supported carrier for pixel 5) And It reports CHT banner correctly.

I don't know why, but it seems that pixel 5 refuses to load korean mbns for some reason.

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
I tried this with korean LGU, SKT simcard, but efs explorer shows SW_DEFAULT or Wildcard banner randomly.
I did sim tray out and in several times, and did WI-FI, Mobile Bluetooth reset on android settings-system menu.

And I also tried Taiwanese Chunghwa Telecom sim card which i got during taiwan travel, (Chunghwa Telecom is one of supported carrier for pixel 5) And It reports CHT banner correctly.

I don't know why, but it seems that pixel 5 refuses to load korean mbns for some reason.
Thank you.
So "pr-red", "nokia" and "mi9t" all not working for korean sim?

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
Yes, I tried all of 6 mbns, but no luck. All recognized as SW_DEFAULT or Wildcard banner.
I'm trying to figure out why only pixel rejects those mbns. Maybe there's some hidden policy to reject unsupported country's sim?
I don't think there would be something that will reject it. Other people reported they got VoLTE working for their 'unofficial' carrier.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.