Magisk Module Systemless Debloater (REPLACE)

Search This thread
I have not been keeping up with my OnePlus(s) too much.
What it the /system/my_bigball/ directory?
What else is in it?​
Is it another OnePlus specific directory/partition like india ?​

I fully agree. 😃

This module is the best systemless debloater. 👍

Cheers. :cowboy:

My log file is here, you can see all the other bigball stuff. Not sure what it's for. Could be ColorOS related stuff.
https://pastebin.com/MSWKJruP

Please uninstall or disable (if it is Magisk module) the other debloater and reboot.

Then attempt to re-install this debloater with your DebloatList and provide SystemlessDeboater.log

On the other side - I'm not yet on A13 but cannot believe that user could not uninstall user apps. There must be (maybe named differently in your ROM): native Settings and there something like Apps, Manage apps, where you should see all the installed apps.
Since your Omoji was preinstalled as system app, you should maybe enable something like Show all (or system or ROM) apps

Find your Omoji, you should have options like Force Stop, Uninstall, Clear Data - see screenshots from my phone (Xiaomi A12) and for another app

Uninstall should uninstall its updates (installed as user app to /data/app)

After that you should have only its original, system version that can be debloates by this debloater

If an app was (installed or) updated by Google Play, you can find it in Playstore, Manage apps, Manage.
Again, you will have Uninstall option that will only uninstall its updates (user app) if it was preinstalled by system

I have already uninstalled it. As m0han said, I restored all the debloated Omoji app, cleared data, and then uninstalled the debloater (It was an app that was granted root, not a magisk module).

I tried reinstalling using my Debloat list. Here is the log file again, it's basically the same as the previous one. https://pastebin.com/bD8utjDt

Here is the page of Omoji in the settings, under Manage Apps. I don't see uninstall option.
The app was not installed or updated by Google Play. It is not in the playstore at all. This can be seen when going to the APKMirror page for Omoji and clicking the Play Store link -- it leads to nowhere.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
My log file is here, you can see all the other bigball stuff. Not sure what it's for. Could be ColorOS related stuff.
https://pastebin.com/MSWKJruP

I have already uninstalled it. As m0han said, I restored all the debloated Omoji app, cleared data, and then uninstalled the debloater (It was an app that was granted root, not a magisk module).

I tried reinstalling using my Debloat list. Here is the log file again, it's basically the same as the previous one. https://pastebin.com/bD8utjDt

Here is the page of Omoji in the settings, under Manage Apps. I don't see uninstall option.
The app was not installed or updated by Google Play. It is not in the playstore at all. This can be seen when going to the APKMirror page for Omoji and clicking the Play Store link -- it leads to nowhere.
When you post to XDA, you have Attach files option as on the screenshot

PLEASE use that, you can attach log file, screenshot, etc

I block pastebin, ingur, whatever on my phone - and there is absolutely no need to use those external clouds while you can simply attach everything here directly to the XDA post

Attachments

• IMG_20220925_234604.jpg
    IMG_20220925_234604.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 7
  • SystemlessDebloater.log
    38.3 KB · Views: 6
When you post to XDA, you have Attach files option as on the screenshot

PLEASE use that, you can attach log file, screenshot, etc

I block pastebin, ingur, whatever on my phone - and there is absolutely no need to use those external clouds while you can simply attach everything here directly to the XDA post
Sure, sorry I am new to posting on XDA and did not realize I could do that. The files are attached to this post.

Attachments

• omoji.jpeg
    omoji.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 9
    46.1 KB · Views: 6

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Sure, sorry I am new to posting on XDA and did not realize I could do that. The files are attached to this post.
Since your Omoji app is in some 'new'/strange folder my_bigball:

/system/my_bigball/app/Omoji/Omoji.apk=com.oplus.omoji

Try with the attached SystemlessDebloaterList.sh

(my_bigball folder added to SarMountPointList)

No guarantee, let's test please

Attachments

• SystemlessDebloaterList.sh
    284 bytes · Views: 50
Last edited:
Reactions: ipdev and Arnav74

It worked! Thank you! Log file attached.

Attachments

47.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: ipdev and zgfg

Wait, actually I'm not sure if it worked. In the log file it shows it's okay, but I still see Omoji in my settings app and it keeps asking me to create my Omoji (image attached)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-26-17-18-40-13_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-26-17-18-40-13_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2022-09-26-17-20-29-27_bc80c31e38df24983fbcc668d4b1a66b.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-26-17-20-29-27_bc80c31e38df24983fbcc668d4b1a66b.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 6

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Wait, actually I'm not sure if it worked. In the log file it shows it's okay, but I still see Omoji in my settings app and it keeps asking me to create my Omoji (image attached)
You had to reboot.

Now, use root explorer like MiXPlorer and check do.you have file:
/system/my_bigball/app/Omoji/Omoji.apk

It should not be that APK there.

You had to reboot.

Now, use root explorer like MiXPlorer and check do.you have file:
/system/my_bigball/app/Omoji/Omoji.apk

It should not be that APK there.
I have definitely rebooted right after reinstalling the module. I have just done it again to double-check. Unfortunately, the APK is still there (image attached). I have provided log file again, although it should be the same from last time as I did not change anything.

Attachments

• SystemlessDebloaterList.sh
    405 bytes · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_2022-09-26-17-43-52-55_a61e42d1eea86d28f403f78330ec114d.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-26-17-43-52-55_a61e42d1eea86d28f403f78330ec114d.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_2022-09-26-17-44-28-05_115a3d4b87870cbbc4a93f5a8407539f.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-26-17-44-28-05_115a3d4b87870cbbc4a93f5a8407539f.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
    48.5 KB · Views: 4

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
I have definitely rebooted right after reinstalling the module. I have just done it again to double-check. Unfortunately, the APK is still there (image attached). I have provided log file again, although it should be the same from last time as I did not change anything.
Something is really strange with your my_bigball - let's move to the private conversation, check my post there

Reactions: ipdev and Arnav74

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Based on the issues with your (OnePlus, ColorOS, A13) /my_bigball folder that is not mounted to /system and the Magisk REPLACE mechanism cannot be applied, now the new module version v1.4.9 was pushed to the Alt Repo (update should be also available through the Magisk app, Modules, scroll to Systemles Debloaters, take Update)

v1.4.9 uses now both the REPLACE mechanism and service.sh script - service.sh script debloats (by mounting dummy apk to them) those stocky/system apps that are not installed to /system (but eg to your /my_bigball stock partition)

Reactions: ipdev and Uluru25
Based on the issues with your (OnePlus, ColorOS, A13) /my_bigball folder that is not mounted to /system and the Magisk REPLACE mechanism cannot be applied, now the new module version v1.4.9 was pushed to the Alt Repo (update should be also available through the Magisk app, Modules, scroll to Systemles Debloaters, take Update)

v1.4.9 uses now both the REPLACE mechanism and service.sh script - service.sh script debloats (by mounting dummy apk to them) those stocky/system apps that are not installed to /system (but eg to your /my_bigball stock partition)

Awesome. I will try it out in a few days as I am very busy for the moment

Reactions: ipdev

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
@zgfg Working fine on Pixel Experience Android 13 GSI on my Galaxy Tab S7+. I've never used a systemless debloater (any mod), setting this up is really easy. I'm an old school Android user since its' earliest days, also have been rooting etc for many years, so I'm used to deleting "for real". I've grudgingly gotten used to the systemless way, but old habits die hard. Either way, thanks for the mod.

Reactions: ipdev and zgfg

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Hi
sorry for this reply i use coloros on my One+7pro
The partition my_bigball does not allow modification it is only on readonly
Of course that it is read-only

Thus is this module for SYSTEMLESS changes

If not familiar with new Android read-only System partitions and Magisk systemless root/changes, please google, read, learn about

Reactions: yassine2217

kaefers

Nov 13, 2007
Hey!

Kudos, great app, once I got the list together (which took a while) it's a very quick debloat method, love it [ I wish it would reckognize package names like com.samsung.aasaservice directly instead of having to specify the correct application name ;) ]

I have been testing around on how to best debloat my S22 Ultra (Exynos) without running into issues. Initial setup here: Link

All works well but I am unable to debloat any /apex/ or /prism/ apps, see log, here some examples:
/apex/com.android.apex.cts.shim/app/[email protected]/CtsShim.apk=com.android.cts.ctsshim
/prism/app/SwiftKey-market-arm64-v8a-release/SwiftKey-market-arm64-v8a-release.apk=com.touchtype.swiftkey

I know I could go ahead and get rid of them via adb, but was wondering if there is anything this tool could be doing about those?

Log attached with the entire 277 apps to be debloated ["aggressive but still boots" ..]

Thanks! :)

Attachments

104 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: ipdev

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Hey!

Kudos, great app, once I got the list together (which took a while) it's a very quick debloat method, love it [ I wish it would reckognize package names like com.samsung.aasaservice directly instead of having to specify the correct application name ;) ]

I have been testing around on how to best debloat my S22 Ultra (Exynos) without running into issues. Initial setup here: Link

All works well but I am unable to debloat any /apex/ or /prism/ apps, see log, here some examples:
/apex/com.android.apex.cts.shim/app/[email protected]/CtsShim.apk=com.android.cts.ctsshim
/prism/app/SwiftKey-market-arm64-v8a-release/SwiftKey-market-arm64-v8a-release.apk=com.touchtype.swiftkey

I know I could go ahead and get rid of them via adb, but was wondering if there is anything this tool could be doing about those?

Log attached with the entire 277 apps to be debloated ["aggressive but still boots" ..]

To debloat apps from /prism:

Open:
/Download/SystemlessDebloaterList.sh

Check, does it contain the statement:
SarMountPointList="<List of some paths>"

Like:
SarMountPointList="/product /vendor /system_ext /india /my_bigball"

If it contains, replace with the one below.
Also, if it doesn't contain, then just add:
SarMountPointList="/product /vendor /system_ext /prism"

And then 'reinstall' the module

Btw, I have omitted /india and /my-bigball since (by your log) you don't have those partitions - but some others do have and need them in the SarMountPointList

---

You can try adding /apex also to the SarMountPointList but I doubt it would work - try and send a log

Even better, open and carefully edit (eg by MiXplorer):
/data/adb/modules/SystemlessDebloater/service.sh

After the last line:
$MountBind $DummyApk <some path to the APK file>

Add the following:
$MountBind $DummyApk /apex/com.android.apex.cts.shim/app/[email protected]/CtsShim.apk

and similarly for the other apps from /apex

And then reboot!

Unfortunately, be aware that every time you 'reinstall' the module, service.sh script will be overwritten and you will need to edit again

Be very carefully since /apex may contain services that would cause bootloop or malfunctions if you debloat them

Last edited:
Reactions: ipdev and kaefers

kaefers

Nov 13, 2007
Thanks so much for the detailed reply, I will try that out! Will make a copy of the edited service.sh as I will be reinstalling a few more times to see how far I can debloat.

I got all backed up with TWRP, so even if something goes wrong, I can always just restore.

Thanks again :)

kaefers

Nov 13, 2007
Worked just fine with SarMountPointList="/product /vendor /system_ext /prism /apex" !

Had to remove a few apks from my /apex/ list but majority of the /apex/ apps are gone (e.g. in System App Remover Root). 436 apps down to 164 and still booting :D | Log attached FYI

Great work! 🙌

Attachments

113.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: zgfg and ipdev

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Worked just fine with SarMountPointList="/product /vendor /system_ext /prism /apex" !

Had to remove a few apks from my /apex/ list but majority of the /apex/ apps are gone (e.g. in System App Remover Root). 436 apps down to 164 and still booting :D | Log attached FYI

Great work! 🙌
Ok so you didn't need to manually edit service.sh, seems it found all from /apex

There are three you appended BAK to theie names and they were not found - you intentionally 'disabled' them for debloating?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @zgfg Working fine on Pixel Experience Android 13 GSI on my Galaxy Tab S7+. I've never used a systemless debloater (any mod), setting this up is really easy. I'm an old school Android user since its' earliest days, also have been rooting etc for many years, so I'm used to deleting "for real". I've grudgingly gotten used to the systemless way, but old habits die hard. Either way, thanks for the mod.
    Hey!

To debloat apps from /prism:

Open:
    /Download/SystemlessDebloaterList.sh

Check, does it contain the statement:
    SarMountPointList="<List of some paths>"

Like:
    SarMountPointList="/product /vendor /system_ext /india /my_bigball"

If it contains, replace with the one below.
    Also, if it doesn't contain, then just add:
    SarMountPointList="/product /vendor /system_ext /prism"

And then 'reinstall' the module

Btw, I have omitted /india and /my-bigball since (by your log) you don't have those partitions - but some others do have and need them in the SarMountPointList

---

You can try adding /apex also to the SarMountPointList but I doubt it would work - try and send a log

Even better, open and carefully edit (eg by MiXplorer):
    /data/adb/modules/SystemlessDebloater/service.sh

After the last line:
    $MountBind $DummyApk <some path to the APK file>

Add the following:
    $MountBind $DummyApk /apex/com.android.apex.cts.shim/app/[email protected]/CtsShim.apk

and similarly for the other apps from /apex

And then reboot!

Unfortunately, be aware that every time you 'reinstall' the module, service.sh script will be overwritten and you will need to edit again

Be very carefully since /apex may contain services that would cause bootloop or malfunctions if you debloat them

Great work! 🙌
    Hi
    sorry for this reply i use coloros on my One+7pro
    The partition my_bigball does not allow modification it is only on readonly
    Of course that it is read-only

Thus is this module for SYSTEMLESS changes

If not familiar with new Android read-only System partitions and Magisk systemless root/changes, please google, read, learn about
    Hey!

Magisk Module Systemless Debloater (REPLACE)

*** Yet another System(less) debloater, how and why?

- Systemless means that all changes made are active only when Magisk is loaded and module is enabled.
    For OTA or anything, you just disable the module (or boot without Magisk) and your system partitions are no more affected

- Mi 9T was originally released with Android 9, hence without dynamic partitions and although it is SAR (System as Root), System partition is not read-only.
    Therefore, with the right TWRP or root explorer, one can still permanently delete the stock system apps.
    Edit: With Android 11 (e.g. Xiaom.eu, MIUI A11, System is read-only).

This is no more possible for the phones released with Android 10 and new Android 11.
    System becomes read-only, and to debloat stock apps one can only use systemless approach - use of Magisk to dynamically overlay changes at the boot time

- The module debloates only (stock) apps pre-installed to /system, /product, /vendor and /india - by virtue of Magisk REPLACE mechanism and mounting.
    Hence sorry, to debloat user apps installed to Data, please use the other methods

- Thread is posted here under Xiaomi Mi 9T and I have originally tested with MIUI 12.0.2 eea (Android 10, MIUI 12).
    Edit: For the last 9 months I'm running and successfully using this module on Xiaomi.eu, Stable and Weeklies, Android 11 and MIUI 12.1/12.5/12.6

However, module relies on the commmon Magisk overlay mechanism and the module is configurable with the list of apps to be debloated - hence you can also use it for the other Xiaomi and more generally, other Android devices (even for custom ROMs if you want to debloat their preinstalled system apps).
    To (re)configure the list of apps for debloating, simply open (textual) /Download/SystemlessDebloaterList.sh file (module will install the file) on Internal memory, (re)configure your list of stock apps to debloat, reinstall the module (always through Magisk Manager, not TWRP) and reboot.
    You only need to provide the proper names (not package names) for the preinstalled system apps, module will find their exact /system paths

- Below you can find the list of fifty apps I safely debloat on my Xiaomi (they include some apps the other users may like to keep: GMail, Wellbeing, Turbo, etc.) and you, as the end user has to fill your own list of apps you want to debloat on your phone.
    Hence the user bears risks and responsibilty, while Troubleshooting section below covers the instructions how to recover, even from the bootloop cases.
    Nevertheless, whenever you want to debloat some service/app you are unfamiliar with its name, google first to find what is that app really for and what the other people say who similarly decided to debloat the same app (on your or another phone and maybe by other methods, it doesn't matter).
    Don't be afraid of the module and debloating, but be cautious

- There are some other systemless debloaters but made to debloat by mounting a dummy apk file to the preinstalled stock apps.
    However, it was later discovered that it may cause Basic Integrity (part of SafetyNet attest) to fail.
    Particularly, I tested on my Mi 9T and found that mounting (for my phone) to any /system/priv-app application, innevitably results with the Basic Integrity failure.
    This module does not use mount - instead, it fills the REPLACE var for Magisk Module Installer, Magisk Module Installer then prepares the module's system folder (pointing to the installation folders for apps to be debloated), and finally at every boot time Magisk will overlay that system folder to /systen without affecting the Basic Integrity

*** Installation

- Download the latest module from Github - scroll down, open Assets and find the latest v1.4.9 zip:
    https://github.com/zgfg/SystemlessDebloater/releases/tag/149

- In Magisk Manager open Modules tab and take Install from storage, navigate to the downloaded SystemlessDebloater.zip (as is, do not unzip).
    Read what Magisk prints while installing and find the module's log in /Download/SystemlessDebloater.log file on Internal memory.
    For the end of installation (for any module), you must always reboot

- First time the module will not debloat anything - it will just create the input/configuration file //Download/SystemlessDebloaterList.sh on Internal memory.
    Open that configuration file, find the DebloatList="" and fill your list of app names, look at the commented out example you will find in the file

- Save the configuration file, reinstall the module and reboot.
    Inspect the log and consult the Troubleshooting section below if needed

- Also, you can scroll down in the SystemlessDebloater.log to the "System apps, not debloated" section and find e.g. a line:
    /system/app/Email (com.android.email)
    Then copy Email name (if you want to debloat the built-in Email app) into DebloatList in your SystemlessDebloaterList.sh file.
    (Easier and less error-prone than selecting the apps for debloating through Terminal app, as some asked for)

- Last but not the least: Once debloated, apps can be no more found (until you reconfigure or disable, or uninstall debloater) under Settings / Apps.
    If you want to clear space and delete their data, do Clear data before you debloat the apps.
    Moreover, before trying to debloate an app, look if you can Uninstall that app (in which case, it was a user and not the system app) from Settings / Apps.
    If Uninstall is not available, do Uninstall updates: Updates are installed to Data while SystemlessDebloater 'debloats' only from System, as a result the update from Data would still remain

*** Troubleshooting

- I have configured an application AbcXyz to debloat, but the app is still present?
    Check if you have missed to perform Uninstall / Uninstall updates from Settings, Apps - perform and reboot.
    Check if you have miss-spelled the application name - correct in the configuration file SystemlessDebloaterList.sh, save, reinstall the module and reboot.
    To help yourself, use e.g. Package Manager app (from Playstore) where you can search for the apps/services, find their names and their installation paths (to see are they System or Data apps)

- I have changed my mind and I want to un-debloat AbcXyz and to debloat instead Pqr-Uvz-123 app?
    No problem, reconfigure the list in SystemlessDebloaterList.sh, save, reinstall the module and reboot

- After a week or so, I realize that some functionalities on the phone are affected?
    Sorry, you had decided to debloat the wrong apps/services.
    Try to google out which app(s) you should have not debloated, reconfigure DebloatList, reinstall the module and reboot.
    Or disable the module (reinstall and reboot) to figure out was the problem really due to debloating

- Oops, I have a bootloop?
    If you have TWRP with the read/write access to Data, navigate to /data/adb/modules/SystemlessDebloater and by using Advanced / File explorer from TWRP, create a dummy file named disable (without extension) in that folder.
    Reboot and Magisk will boot with the particular module debloated (you can see then if the moduule was really responsible for the bootloop).
    Instead of dummy file named disable, put the remove dummy file to trigger Magisk to uninstall the module on next reboot (all that applies to any module possibly causing your bootloop).
    If proper TWRP is not available, boot to the Android Safe Mode - google for a key-combo to boot in, for my Xiaomi it takes (re)booting with Vol+ and Vol+ pressed simoultaneously.
    Don't do anything in Android safe mode but reboot then to 'normal' mode - Magisk will boot now with all the modules disabled (this method does not wotk for Magisk v20.4 or earlier).
    You will have to re-enable Magisk Hide (don't worry, your list of apps to hide from was not lost), re-enable the other modules, correct SystemlessDebloaterList.sh (and reinstall the module), and reboot.
    These two methods should be enough, for other (more complicated) you can search in XDA General Magisk thread

*** Enough for theory, install now and practice
    Thanks a lot to @ipdev for discussing and sharing ideas, encouraging and for successful testing on Xiaomi Poco F2 (debloater found most of the same MIUI apps as above) and OnePlus 5T

Also, thanks for your successful test on Pixel 3aXL with Android 11:
    Works on Pixel 3aXL. (Stock Android 11. Magisk canary.) ;)
    Attached the SystemlessDebloater.log from 3aXL.
    And the SystemlessDebloaterList.sh I use for testing. (remove the .txt)
    New version
    SystemlessDebloater_v1.3.9
    (see OP post #1 for download link)

Improved log file, now including also the list of all remaining/not-debloated system apps

---

Debloated Xiaomi Mi 9T, Xiaomi.eu 20.12.28, MIUI 12.5 / Android 11 beta with:

DebloatList="
    AndroidAutoStub
    BookmarkProvider
    Browser
    BTProductionLineTool
    Calculator
    CatchLog
    CneApp
    EasterEgg
    GoogleFeedback
    GooglePartnerSetup
    Health
    ims
    Joyose
    Lens
    MiMover
    MiPlayClient
    MiRecycle
    MiService
    MiuiBugReport
    MiuiDaemon
    mi_connect_service
    Notes
    PaymentService
    PersonalAssistant
    SoterService
    Stk
    TouchAssistant
    Traceur
    Velvet
    VsimCore
    WebViewGoogle
    wps-lite
    "
    This is my file I made inside downloads folder do you understand what I did wrong or nothttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1COpuJbSJDKyiejF9VTHXS27uB9NYleRQ/view?
    usp=drivesdk

Give me the file with those 2 apps to flash and I will see what I did wrong. Setup a file that should work and I Will download it and then flash the module again and see if it works. Because the one you already gave doesn't work either. So I don't understand what the hell it is. I'm supposed to. I'm doing everything. Give me the file all set up so I can flash it and then I can see and compare it to the one I have
    I noticed the mistake when I was going to try your list file on my Pixel 6.
    Note: Calculator is CalculatorGooglePrebuilt on Google factory Pixel a12.​

Code:
    # Define a list of stock apps for debloating:
    DebloatList=""
    Calculator
    Maps
    The module gave you that error becuase the DebloatList variable is empty.

The names have to be inside the double quotes ".
    Example(s).
    Code:
    DebloatList="
    Calculator
    CalculatorGooglePrebuilt
    Maps
    "
    or
    Code:
    DebloatList="Calculator
    CalculatorGooglePrebuilt
    Maps"
    Cheers. :cowboy:

PS.
    It works on my Pixel 6. ;)
    Thank you for this!
    It is working wonderfully on my Pixel 5 Android 12L Stock ROM.