• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MAGISK] [MODULE] Webview Manager

Search This thread

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
Unfortunately they have enabled dm-verity and made the partition read-only with a ext4 option called shared_blocks.
To modify the vendor parition one has to patch the kernel as well as take an image of the partition modify it then flash it back.
I managed to do it using my Linux machine, don't know if it is possible from the device itself.

Here is the solution to your problem my friend. Enjoy!
Works like a charm in Android 10 and later. Now my system, vendor and product partitions are read-write!
Use at your own risk!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/script-mount-system-as-read-write-android-10.4240703/

1-jpg.5235933

lapirado

Aug 25, 2015
Have installed this module a few days ago. The installation has succeeded.
But I found out something strange - in developer options, it was only showing up bromite. It wasn't supposed to chrome was presented there too?
I don't if is related to that or no, but since the installation my system stayed really unstable - lagging like never before, and with Google play services force closing all the time.
The solution was to wipe and do a clean install of rom.
Oneplus 3, RR 8.6.5 and opengapps pico.

Hamidltf

Nov 16, 2018
مشهد
Get bootloop on my nougat by flashing this module.

but i installed bromite webview using This way :

1-uninstalling current system webview [ i used link2Sd app]

2- reboot

3- In the /system/app path, create a folder called WebView [using root explorer app]

4- Rename the bromite webview file that you downloaded to WebView.apk and move it to the folder you created [using root explorer app]

like this
system/app/WebView/Webview.apk

5-Change the WebView folder permissions to rwxr-xr-x [using root explorer app]

6-Change WebView.apk file
Permission to --rw-r-r [using root explorer app]

7-Reboot

Edit : Oauth2 Not working in bromite webview

Some Screenshots attached here :

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210313-054318_1615602559160.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-054318_1615602559160.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20210313-054323_1615602650405.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-054323_1615602650405.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20210313-060704.png
    Screenshot_20210313-060704.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20210313-060719.png
    Screenshot_20210313-060719.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

veekay

May 15, 2008
My older tablet runs Android 7, installed the switcher and after rebooting the only option I have is AOSP (before I had AOSP and regular Webview). It almost seems like the AOSP has been updated as it shows as being version 89.x now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210315-005043.png
    Screenshot_20210315-005043.png
    122 KB · Views: 52

Coldz0

Oct 24, 2016
Had to uninstall. Experiencing high CPU usage therefore high temperature too. Overall slowness and unstable. I'm not trying to be negative but this messed up really bad and made me double think whether this was a coinminer or something that's how I ended up here. As I type this, my keyboard app got killed 5 times already.

I also didn't see any other option in the WebView implementation setting other than the Android System WebView so everything is just strange.
Hello, How did you uninstall it ? i tired to disable and remove the module but some apps begun to crash and won't open. i had to install the module again to keep those apps running !.

Reactions: oliversum

Bradford1040

Mar 5, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Wondering why dev closed the thread on Github without a proper answer - and that's why I will publish it here. (Maybe there is no answer and it's easier just to forget not to fix :) )

This module does not work on my device (OP 7T Pro / Android 10).
It installs webkit and Bromite, however Webkit Test shows an obsolete Chrome webkit version that was intergrated in ROM.
3e149701c489.jpg
So it looks like installation of the module simply removes all Google webkit updates - but did not install Bromite webkit.
As an additional proof: Playmarket shows a possibility to update.
8a0690e56208.jpg
I have tried to update using official webkit from Bromite project and from Playmarket - does not matter: still obsolete webkit version is shown.
17fdd44a02a2.jpg

My verdict: this addon removes all updates to standard Chrome Webkit - and possibly tries to install Bromite one, but unlock trick in framework-res does not work. It leads to the system includes Bromite - but the browser only. Webkit is not allowed to be used.

Useless.
I have almost the same issue, I am using LOS 17.1 and the version can't be replaced I guess

Bradford1040

Mar 5, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
First stable of 8..x series is out!

Read about it in the blog post
Do I need to switch my post, or should say post it again here?

Again that was an oversight of mine

Edit;

I plan on trying to install again, my last try of version 7.3 didn't work for me, I am running an unofficial version of LOS 17.1 for the 1+7tproNR (HD1925) and it has the asop WebView I think, version 84.***... And it didn't get replaced with installation of magisk module, or did I miss a step?

I know 8.01 is out, that's why I am asking if I'm just barking up the wrong tree and it will never work?

nvgdls

Aug 15, 2016
Having problem installing New Webview Manager with default config, this never happen before with Webview Switcher. It's show verification failed, second attempt end up failed too. What's wrong?

Android 10 Stock

ianmacd

Jan 5, 2016
Amsterdam
localhost
Having problem installing New Webview Manager with default config, this never happen before with Webview Switcher. It's show verification failed, second attempt end up failed too. What's wrong?

Android 10 Stock

Same here on Android 11. The module is downloaded, but verification fails.

This is the issue:

Code:
+ wget -qO arm64_SystemWebView.apk.sha256.txt.tmp https://github.com/bromite/bromite/releas
es/download/89.0.4389.100/brm_89.0.4389.100.sha256.txt
wget: note: TLS certificate validation not implemented
+ grep arm64_SystemWebView.apk arm64_SystemWebView.apk.sha256.txt.tmp
+ rm -fr arm64_SystemWebView.apk.sha256.txt.tmp
+ sed -i s/arm64_SystemWebView.apk/BromiteWebview.apk/gi BromiteWebview.apk.sha256.txt
+ sha256sum -sc BromiteWebview.apk.sha256.txt
sha256sum: can't open 'BromiteWebview.apk': No such file or directory

Specifically, this command is failing to write the APK:

Code:
/data/adb/modules_update/bromitewebview/common/tools/aria2c-arm64 -x 16 -s 16 --async-dns --file-allocation=none --check-certificate=false --ca-certificate=/data/adb/modules_update/bromitewebview/ca-certificates.crt --quiet https://github.com/bromite/bromite/releases/download/89.0.4389.100/arm64_SystemWebView.apk

Github issue #32 updated.

Last edited:

androidacy

Apr 1, 2019
www.androidacy.com
8.1.1 is out!

Release notes (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY):

Oumuamua

Mar 25, 2021
8.1.1 is out!

Release notes (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY):
For me verification error still persists even after update.
7.3.0 install was successful but 8.x.x fails with same verification error.. :/

Reactions: Depressed T.Bear

Oumuamua

Mar 25, 2021
Same here. Guess we'll have to wait for an update
Yo man, I accidentaly did manage to install 8.1.1 after all!

So what I did was that I reinstalled 7.3.0 version from Magisk Manager after which phone rebooted twice by itself.
Once it booted back on, Bromite webview was deinstalled and Chrome's webview was being used.
Lastly, I tried to install latest version (8.1.1) from Magisk Manager, rebooted and voila!

Hope this helps! :)

androidacy

Apr 1, 2019
www.androidacy.com
New Webview Manager #stable #release!

Changes:
- Handle the situation where our data isn't accessible.
- Misc bugfixes and refactoring

It should roll out to Magisk Manager soon!

Download v8.1.3:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is there any way to uninstall the module with TWRP?, i'm stuck in a boot loop. PLEASE HELP
    Flash the tool from this thread in twrp and disable xposed. Hopefully you can boot up now and then uninstall or disable webview manager through your xposed manager.

Edit: You will need to download and sideload it in twrp from a computer already trusted with usb debugging.
    New update is out!

Read about it here:

Welcome to the XDA home of Webview Manager by Androidacy
    Adobe_Post_20210202_0013340.8277657334196729.png

Read about it on our blog:​

What is this?

This magisk module allows to install several webviews and browsers, replacing the stock one with more privacy friendly/better performing browser and/or webview. By default this module will install Bromite.

Can I use older versions?​

No.

Why use different webview or default browser?

These webviews are de-googled or more privacy friendly, or just more updated, or better optimized. Because it's better than Google or AOSP webview.

Why not other methods?

These usually involve directly modifying system and are less versatile and more incompatible. In addition, thanks to auto updates and dynamic system detection, you know you get the right files without extra bloat.

Systemful install

Systemful install is not supported and we currenly have no plans to change that.

Configuration

Configuration is done during install, thanks to @Zackptg5 magnificent Volume-Keys selector with a touch of our own spice.

Getting support

Zip /sdcard/WebviewManager/logs, and send along with detailed description of the issue including device name, ROM, and Android version.

Links

Website and blog is at https://www.androidacy.com
    Donations are here
    Beta/alphas: see zips link
    ZIPs: click me
    Telegram: Androidacy Discussions
    Discord: Available to Patrons. See our donation link above.
    Magisk repo: here
    It's back in the repository, now with official support from the Bromite team!!
    Ok guys sorry I haven't logged in for awhile, been kinda busy
    The short of it is that as far as I know currently, no other webview besides Google supports Q. In addition, the way webview is handled changed on Q

So although there have been updates, none have made it to stable because I'd like to tackle Q compatibility in the next release. However, if no upstream support is added by end of year I'll push current fixes anyway

In addition to the poster who is complaining about "all devices" -if you read the README (which actually I need to update with the status of Q)* it specify only 7.0-9.0 ROMs are supported

However if you really want to see support for your device enhanced, you really need to join my telegram group, https://t.me/inlmagisk so I can get feedback and provide betas

So yeah. Been a little busy lately with life, and waiting on upstream support. Not dead yet ;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    We're excited to be releasing version 3.1

Sorry for the massive bug introduced in v3.0 but 3.1 is confirmed working on AOSP, RR, LOS, and OOS (needs testing). For some reason, appropriate directory was not getting copied over

Changelog:
    • Fixed installer and boot scripts (finally!)
    • Reduced file size by downloading external resources separate
    • Attempt to support more webview installation scenarios
    Good news everyone!

V4 is live in the Magisk repo, with all stock compatibility fixes

A clean flash is highly recommended for proper functionality of the module