• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MAGISK] [MODULE] Webview Manager

Search This thread

la0pe0Ue

Jan 9, 2018
Could we use WebExtensions or UserScripts for WebView? It is useful in the sense that other web-based apps are also equipped with extensions or scripts.

temporarium

Is there any way to confirm that Ungoogled Chromium Webview is installed, and not just regular Android System Webview?

I selected Ungoogled Chromium, and it downloaded and installed successfully, and all works well after a reboot. However, my ROM reports that my Webview implementation is Android System Webview. It's possibly because the file was renamed, etc., but how can I make sure?

vivek12341

Jan 18, 2015
Welcome to the XDA home of Webview Manager by Androidacy
Adobe_Post_20210202_0013340.8277657334196729.png

Read about it on our blog:​

What is this?

This magisk module allows to install several webviews and browsers, replacing the stock one with more privacy friendly/better performing browser and/or webview. By default this module will install Bromite.

Can I use older versions?​

No.

Why use different webview or default browser?

These webviews are de-googled or more privacy friendly, or just more updated, or better optimized. Because it's better than Google or AOSP webview.

Why not other methods?

These usually involve directly modifying system and are less versatile and more incompatible. In addition, thanks to auto updates and dynamic system detection, you know you get the right files without extra bloat.

Systemful install

Systemful install is not supported and we currenly have no plans to change that.

Configuration

Configuration is done during install, thanks to @Zackptg5 magnificent Volume-Keys selector with a touch of our own spice.

Getting support

Zip /sdcard/WebviewManager/logs, and send along with detailed description of the issue including device name, ROM, and Android version.

Links

Website and blog is at https://www.androidacy.com
Donations are here
Beta/alphas: see zips link
ZIPs: click me
Telegram: Androidacy Discussions
Discord: Available to Patrons. See our donation link above.
Magisk repo: here
Hi, How to change User Agent String for our bromite/chromium webview ??? So, any app using this webview must use that custom user agent.

westhaking

Jan 18, 2009
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Is there any way to confirm that Ungoogled Chromium Webview is installed, and not just regular Android System Webview?

I selected Ungoogled Chromium, and it downloaded and installed successfully, and all works well after a reboot. However, my ROM reports that my Webview implementation is Android System Webview. It's possibly because the file was renamed, etc., but how can I make sure?
There is this app in the play store that will let you know which webview your system is using. It has confirmed for me that although I can successfully get this module installed it never actually uses the bromite webview. I test after each release. Same thing. Looks successful but doesn't actually work as expected.

Pixel 2 stock.

temporarium

There is this app in the play store that will let you know which webview your system is using. It has confirmed for me that although I can successfully get this module installed it never actually uses the bromite webview. I test after each release. Same thing. Looks successful but doesn't actually work as expected.

Pixel 2 stock.
This is the result from that app:
Screenshot_20210920-211231469 (1).jpg

No where does it indicate it's UNGOOGLED CHROMIUM, which is what I selected 🤔

cheeklitched

Dec 25, 2018
Is there a way to test if it is working? When I flashed this module I selected the defaults. No additional apps were installed and I have no way of telling what changed.

morfikov

Oct 22, 2016
Warsaw
morfikov.github.io
Redmi 9
Is there a way to test if it is working? When I flashed this module I selected the defaults. No additional apps were installed and I have no way of telling what changed.

Check under developer options, it should say something like the following:

Screenshot_20211008-033227935.jpg

Also, the app to check what webview you use (from gplay) seems to report it wrongly, or it spoofs some things to look like google webview. I have the same results, i.e. no indication that bromite is in use, but apparently it is.

temporarium

Check under developer options, it should say something like the following:

View attachment 5427959

Also, the app to check what webview you use (from gplay) seems to report it wrongly, or it spoofs some things to look like google webview. I have the same results, i.e. no indication that bromite is in use, but apparently it is.
Thanks, but selected Ungoogled Chromium, and it downloaded and installed successfully, and all works well after a reboot. However, my ResurrectionRemix ROM reports that my Webview implementation is Android System Webview. How can I be sure it's the UNGOOGLED webview?

morfikov

Oct 22, 2016
Warsaw
morfikov.github.io
Redmi 9
It says Android, and not Google/Chrome, but it doesn't matter, AOSP webview tracks you the same way Google webview would (they both from Google) -- read this thread for more info:

temporarium

It says Android, and not Google/Chrome, but it doesn't matter, AOSP webview tracks you the same way Google webview would (they both from Google) -- read this thread for more info:
That thread doesn't explain anything about ungoogled chromium or bromite, which are both intended to make Android webview more private.

I'd use bromite, but it doesn't work with some apps, so I'm using ungoogled, BUT HOW DO I CONFIRM THAT IS THE CASE?

morfikov

Oct 22, 2016
Warsaw
morfikov.github.io
Redmi 9
I just told you, AOSP webview tracks you the same way google webview does. The only way to make it stop is to switch to bromite. Check in dev option what webview implementation you currently use. If it says bromie, you use bromite, it's simple.

temporarium

I just told you, AOSP webview tracks you the same way google webview does. The only way to make it stop is to switch to bromite. Check in dev option what webview implementation you currently use. If it says bromie, you use bromite, it's simple.
And I just said that 1) bromite doesn't work for me with some apps - I have used it before; and 2) I'm using ungoogled chromium - not aosp (which, by the way, has little to do with webview); and 3) dev options doesn't indicate whether it's regular Android system WebView or ungoogled chromium WebView.

I'm asking how I can confirm that ungoogled webview is indeed the one that this module installs when I select it.

morfikov

Oct 22, 2016
Warsaw
morfikov.github.io
Redmi 9
But the AOSP webview is based on chromium. According to the thread I posted earlier, there's no difference between Google's and AOSP's webview implementation. And yes, using bromite can break applications -- it's expected. So I don't know what else you want to know.

adilkral

May 22, 2012
Hi looked everywhere and unfortunately spent all night to find the answer but no joy.
I uninstall the module from magisk but lost Google, Google search ,yahoo mail, duckduckgo. When I try webview test app I get error saying
An error has occurred and the app will be shut down.

"android.webkit.WebViewFactory$MissingWebViewPackageException: Failed to load WebView provider: No WebView installed"
Can anyone please help. Using android 11. Note 20 plus

asratxda

Jun 10, 2012
Mumbai
I can not install this module on latest magisk because I am having android 7.0 api 24 and also my system has com.google.android.webview ? What should I do? It is giving failed message. ( minimum api 26 )

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth, for now
I can not install this module on latest magisk because I am having android 7.0 api 24 and also my system has com.google.android.webview ? What should I do? It is giving failed message. ( minimum api 26 )
Did you ever get this sorted out? I too have com.GOOGLE.android.webview, and have not had success. Did you fully read and head the 'Compatibility' section? Namely, if you're using a Samsung device, the part that says 'OneUI users: make sure Secure Folder is disabled before installing.'.

asratxda

Jun 10, 2012
Mumbai
Did you ever get this sorted out? I too have com.GOOGLE.android.webview, and have not had success. Did you fully read and head the 'Compatibility' section? Namely, if you're using a Samsung device, the part that says 'OneUI users: make sure Secure Folder is disabled before installing.'.
This module has min api req so it will not get installed on Android 7.0 . For api less than 26 you will have to edit framework-res.apk files. Type on google -->> " Solved installing webview" Or --->>

You can follow above link and procedure. Also if you edit/replace/modify system partition then it will break your safety-net, it happened with me and I had to reinstall fresh rom. I installed Ungoogled-chromium system webview. Also JUST placing ungoogled.chromium.system.webview.apk in /system/app/webview/ directory did not work, I had to unzip apk and copy oat/lib directories also.

Reactions: TiTiB

pommedefrance

Jan 18, 2019
Hi
i installed this webview module without a problem but i can't have my statement now with revolut..it crash the app...it seems it's because it search the original webview to work...
Is there a way to change that ?
thks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    I had the same problem (but on a different phone).
    In my case there was a hidden file named ".androidacy" in the folder /sdcard/. It seems to me, that the error originates from this file as it blocks WebViewManager from creating a hidden directory with the same name (I found that error in the WebviewManager log file). After deleting the file "/sdcard/.androidacy" the installation was done without any problem....
    Maybe you should also take a look at the log files in folder WebviewManager/logs, the first error there might give you more information on your problem.
    Good luck,
    aku6
    That solved the problem, thank you :)
    The Canary version is the one for Android 12. Here's a link. Now that topjohnwu works at Google he had to make some concessions to keep developing it. Magisk hide and the module repository have been removed.

New updates!

This will solve both the 404/401 errors and the update check errors!
    Hi, many thanks to the developers for creating this great module :) Had uninstalled it for testing purposes and since two days ago, when reinstalling it, I get the error "API request failed! Assuming API is down and aborting!". Unfortunately I lack the experience to do further troubleshooting here. Does anyone have an idea what exactly causes the error and how I can fix it?

Here is some background data:
    Fairphone 3
    LineageOS with microG 18.1 from 18.11.2021
    Build:
    lineage_FP3-userdebug 11 RQ3A.211001.001 eng.root.20211118.101832 dev-keys
    Code:
    - Copying zip to temp directory
    - Installing Webview_Manager-10.2.5(5019).zip
    - Current boot slot: _a
    - Device is system-as-root
    Archive:  /data/user/0/com.topjohnwu.magisk/cache/flash/install.zip
      inflating: module.prop