[MAGISK] [MODULE] Webview Manager

Search This thread

androidacy

Apr 1, 2019
www.androidacy.com
Could you provide the link of this version?

It used to be a smooth installation. Now It can't detect volume key.
Also, new version removed offline install, So that users can enjoy the slow download.
Slow downloads exist mainly to ensure adequate bandwidth for everyone.

At any rate downloads are only capped at 1 megabytes per second, and most apks are 67-80mb - meaning you're only waiting a minute and a half. This limit will be raised in a future API release.

Also we're aware of the volume key issue but we're unsure exactly why it's so inconsistent. If you could drop us a line on Telegram, we'd be happy to troubleshoot further!

Reactions: sieghartRM

tay200k

Jan 13, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Just installed from fox's mmm, I think I have it setup right. I got bromite webview selected in dev options and disabled google web view along with bromite browser as I use vivaldi. A simple how to would be good I couldn't find anything about setting it up through fox's. (OnePlus 8t oxygen os12)

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
The latest Bromite Webview manager allows you to install Bromite WebView as a system app, without uninstalling or disabling existing Android WebView. Both can be present in a system at the same time and you can select whichever WebView you want under Developer Options > WebView Implementation.

The WebView Manager is somewhat finicky - Yes/No options can be made during the installation, through the volume keys. In the end, the most important aspect is to choose installing Bromite WebView when presented with the option. Whether you also install a browser is not important. There is no UI for the WebView itself. Once installed successfully, reboot then go to Developer Options and choose Bromite WebView. That's it. 😁

Later updates (from F-Droid or other alternative Stores) do NOT necessarily require the same steps - rather they can be installed as any other updates.
The zip file of Bromite System WebView can also be downloaded from GitHub and installed through Magisk (the initial set-up).

If, at a later time, you chose to uninstall it, you need to go through the same process in Bromite WebView Manager but, this time you need to choose "No" when presented with the option of installing the system webview.

Last edited:

androidacy

Apr 1, 2019
www.androidacy.com
Just installed from fox's mmm, I think I have it setup right. I got bromite webview selected in dev options and disabled google web view along with bromite browser as I use vivaldi. A simple how to would be good I couldn't find anything about setting it up through fox's. (OnePlus 8t oxygen os12)
We had a knowledgebase but somewhere in a server transfer in a long ago era, goblins seem to have devoured it.

I'll mention prioritizing reinstating this to our website team, though, thanks for the feedback!

wind0zer

Feb 15, 2010
For anyone having trouble with this module like i have...You can try LSPosed module AnyWebView. It works great on my phone (Lineage OS). I can switch WebView whenever necessary through developer options
Wow AnyWebView just works. Webview Manager has gone awol since at least one year. If you're lucky enough to manage to download it, it wont work. Good to find an alternative.

androidacy

Apr 1, 2019
www.androidacy.com

Androidacy API v7 is here! Webview manager update to follow shortly​

Read more:

Isabelinc

Jul 28, 2022

Androidacy API v7 is here! Webview manager update to follow shortly​

Read more:
Hi, is your API is down? When I tried to do an offline install through instructions from 2021 on this page, it didn't work. Also does disabling this module in magisk (so that I don't have too many modules always running) also remove bromite systemwebview? I'm on an AOSP 11 based rom btw

androidacy

Apr 1, 2019
www.androidacy.com
Hi, is your API is down? When I tried to do an offline install through instructions from 2021 on this page, it didn't work. Also does disabling this module in magisk (so that I don't have too many modules always running) also remove bromite systemwebview? I'm on an AOSP 11 based rom btw
An in-development version of WebView Manager was accidentally released due to a misconfiguration. Please redownload it if you've downloaded any time in the past 2-3 days.

Besides that v10 removed offline support for the most part, but in development v11 has readded back reworked support via configuration.

applyscience

Nov 25, 2016
OnePlus 9
wish the devoper would host the latest updates on any other repo besides androcity.

They're more focused on trackers, ads and monetization then their actual service, to a point it ruins any appeal to want to deal with them.

androidacy

Apr 1, 2019
www.androidacy.com
wish the devoper would host the latest updates on any other repo besides androcity.

They're more focused on trackers, ads and monetization then their actual service, to a point it ruins any appeal to want to deal with them.
I apologize that you feel that way, but it is our module and therefore makes sense to be exclusive to our repo. If you have any specific feedback, we're all ears, but the monetization aspect is necessary to pay our staff and run our infrastructure.

applyscience

Nov 25, 2016
OnePlus 9
I apologize that you feel that way, but it is our module and therefore makes sense to be exclusive to our repo. If you have any specific feedback, we're all ears, but the monetization aspect is necessary to pay our staff and run our infrastructure.
So I just tried to convince a repo change for a module thats actually a proprietary offering from the very same repo.

Well thats embarrassing. Guess I will have eggs for breakfast, seeing as its all over my face.

Thank you for the much needed reality check

TheShanMan

Oct 29, 2013
@androidacy I installed this module successfully, but after rebooting, Chrome is still present and the webview page in dev options still shows only Chrome and (disabled) android webview. I see bromite and the bromite webview listed in apps. Can anything be done to get this working? Anything I can do to troubleshoot? I have an old HTC 10 running Oreo 8.0 and the version of webview manager is 10 (guess 11 isn't out still). I've used magisk modules to debloat and degoogle everything else. Chrome (as webview) is the one remaining piece of the puzzle. Any help on this would be appreciated!

tay200k

Jan 13, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Not working on android 13 custom rom's for oneplus 8T. bromite WebView installs but doesn't show up in WebView selection in dev options.

I know its not a very detailed report sorry.

TheShanMan

Oct 29, 2013
@androidacy I installed this module successfully, but after rebooting, Chrome is still present and the webview page in dev options still shows only Chrome and (disabled) android webview. I see bromite and the bromite webview listed in apps. Can anything be done to get this working? Anything I can do to troubleshoot? I have an old HTC 10 running Oreo 8.0 and the version of webview manager is 10 (guess 11 isn't out still). I've used magisk modules to debloat and degoogle everything else. Chrome (as webview) is the one remaining piece of the puzzle. Any help on this would be appreciated!
@androidacy I discovered where it stores logs and it has some concerning errors there. Maybe that'll help solve the problem I'm running into? Log file attached.

Attachments

• full-2022-09-26-153357.log
    7.4 KB · Views: 17

androidacy

Apr 1, 2019
www.androidacy.com
Not working on android 13 custom rom's for oneplus 8T. bromite WebView installs but doesn't show up in WebView selection in dev options.

I know its not a very detailed report sorry.
android 13 is not yet supported. Dev work on modules has been paused while the project lead took a break for mental health reasons but should be resuming soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the XDA home of Webview Manager by Androidacy

Read about it on our blog:​

What is this?

This magisk module allows to install several webviews and browsers, replacing the stock one with more privacy friendly/better performing browser and/or webview. By default this module will install Bromite.

Can I use older versions?​

No.

Why use different webview or default browser?

These webviews are de-googled or more privacy friendly, or just more updated, or better optimized. Because it's better than Google or AOSP webview.

Why not other methods?

These usually involve directly modifying system and are less versatile and more incompatible. In addition, thanks to auto updates and dynamic system detection, you know you get the right files without extra bloat.

Systemful install

Systemful install is not supported and we currenly have no plans to change that.

Configuration

Configuration is done during install, thanks to @Zackptg5 magnificent Volume-Keys selector with a touch of our own spice.

Getting support

Zip /sdcard/WebviewManager/logs, and send along with detailed description of the issue including device name, ROM, and Android version.

Links

Website and blog is at https://www.androidacy.com
    Donations are here
    Beta/alphas: no longer available, due to an improved QA process.
    ZIPs: click me
    Telegram: Androidacy Discussions
    Discord: Available to Patrons. See our donation link above.
    Ok guys sorry I haven't logged in for awhile, been kinda busy
    The short of it is that as far as I know currently, no other webview besides Google supports Q. In addition, the way webview is handled changed on Q

So although there have been updates, none have made it to stable because I'd like to tackle Q compatibility in the next release. However, if no upstream support is added by end of year I'll push current fixes anyway

In addition to the poster who is complaining about "all devices" -if you read the README (which actually I need to update with the status of Q)* it specify only 7.0-9.0 ROMs are supported

However if you really want to see support for your device enhanced, you really need to join my telegram group, https://t.me/inlmagisk so I can get feedback and provide betas

So yeah. Been a little busy lately with life, and waiting on upstream support. Not dead yet ;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    It's back in the repository, now with official support from the Bromite team!!
    We're excited to be releasing version 3.1

Sorry for the massive bug introduced in v3.0 but 3.1 is confirmed working on AOSP, RR, LOS, and OOS (needs testing). For some reason, appropriate directory was not getting copied over

Changelog:
    • Fixed installer and boot scripts (finally!)
    • Reduced file size by downloading external resources separate
    • Attempt to support more webview installation scenarios
    New stable release of bromitewebview!

Available on magisk manager repo

Telegram: https://t.me/inlmagisk

Subscribe: https://t.me/bromitewebview

Discord: https://discord.gg/gTnDxQ6

If you like my work and want it to continue, donate at: https://paypal.me/linuxandria

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Thanks, @the_Pan, however this still installs newest webview as it installs the newest release from their github repo in the setup script. So the resulting Bromite System WebView is 79.0.3945.139 even with your version.

I will try to manually change `unity_install.sh` to `URL=https://github.com/bromite/bromite/releases/download/78.0.3904.63/${ARCH}_SystemWebView.apk` and see whether that helps with currently broken version.

Do you have any specific site where you download older releases of magisk modules?
    Thanks!
    From now on older versions are available here:

https://github.com/linuxandria/bromitewebview/releases

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Changes for 4.4.1:

Fix boot scripts

Rework install logic

Introduced better logging

Lots of things I missed

Final unity release, 5.0 will be MMT-ex