Greece
    Xiaomi Redmi 5
    Lenovo Vibe P1m
    Now I set in the config.txt:

INSTALL=2
    BROWSER=3
    WEBVIEW=2

and did a reboot, but unfortunately my phone doesnt boot anymore :( :( :(
    It hangs in the androidone logo with the red-blue-green-yellow moving line, and never leaves that state.

I thought I could fix it with flashing Magisk 22.1 again, in (on the fly) TWRP, no change. Flashed the Magisk uninstaller, no change, booted with adb the original boot.img, no change.
    Then I flashed the whole 10.0.24.0 ROM (tissot_images_V10.0.24.0.PDHMIXM_20200810.0000.00_9.0_49f16fd30d.tgz) with MiFlash 2017.7.20.0 XiaomiFlash.exe and the flashing says success, but still no boot ending, after hours not. It only stops when the battery is empty :(
    I dont know what to do more, I am not sure, that my config.txt settings and WebView Switcher did that, but it is likely.
    Now I tried the 10.0.23.0 ROM for my Xiaomi Mi A1 and still this doesnt boot.
    I dont understand this, I thought when I flash the whole Stock ROM, there cannot be a boot loop anymore!?

EDIT: I asked in the Xiaomi Mi A1 XDA Forum about it...
    I don't know the cause of the bootloop, sorry.

But you can try to install Magisk Manager for Recovery Mode (mm) .
    Maybe it can fix your bootloop problem. Good luck!

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
    I don't know the cause of the bootloop, sorry.

But you can try to install Magisk Manager for Recovery Mode (mm) .
    Maybe it can fix your bootloop problem. Good luck!
    Unfortunately mm didnt do anything. As I expected, mm reported no module at all.
    I had flashed several times Magisk, the original 10.0.24.0 boot.img and the ROM so, there was no Magisk left ;)
    At the moment I copy with TWRP the data from the /sdcard to an external sdcard and with adb (works, when TWRP is active) to my PC to get at least some data back.

Any hints, where I could find a logfile where I could find the error?

Last edited:

burny02

Feb 23, 2016
    Hey,

I use NetGuard...Can someone help me as to which packages are needed internet access, as I always get stuck on testing internet connection

pnin

Aug 26, 2010
    LG G Pad 8.3
    ZTE Axon 7
    I suggest you to ignore any webview updates from play store and just install the latest bromite apk from net or f-droid.

Upon further testing, I discovered this to be incorrect: installing an updated version of Bromite doesn't update the version reported by the Magisk module (I checked both in "Developer options" and with Webview Test v1.2.3rev86 [i.e., "com.snc.test.webview2"]).

The module info does state that "This module downloads the latest browser and/or webview APK everytime it is flashed", which I also verified not to be the case, at least with my device.

And as Webview Manager triggers cache wipes every time it is installed or uninstalled and my Poco X3 NFC (with Xiaomi.eu v12.0.8.0 A10 based ROM) is somewhat flaky as it is (I got a couple of reboots to recovery), I have given up and reverted to the stock webview. Bummer. 😞

PS: I see just now that v9 is out, so maybe I'll give it a try to see if my issues are resolved.

androidacy

• Apr 1, 2019
    www.androidacy.com
    Upon further testing, I discovered this to be incorrect: installing an updated version of Bromite doesn't update the version reported by the Magisk module (I checked both in "Developer options" and with Webview Test v1.2.3rev86 [i.e., "com.snc.test.webview2"]).

The module info does state that "This module downloads the latest browser and/or webview APK everytime it is flashed", which I also verified not to be the case, at least with my device.

And as Webview Manager triggers cache wipes every time it is installed or uninstalled and my Poco X3 NFC (with Xiaomi.eu v12.0.8.0 A10 based ROM) is somewhat flaky as it is (I got a couple of reboots to recovery), I have given up and reverted to the stock webview. Bummer. 😞

PS: I see just now that v9 is out, so maybe I'll give it a try to see if my issues are resolved.
    Firstly, are you on v9? V8 api is frozen and receives no updates server side.
    Second, cache clear is necessary because without it a lot of devices don't register the new webview leading to interesting issues.

Also, please be aware there's limited support for MIUI.

Reactions: pnin

dam85

• Nov 24, 2015
    Greece
    Xiaomi Redmi 5
    Lenovo Vibe P1m

Ιf you update bromite from site, then the reported version in developer settings -> webview, reports the version you just installed.

I don't know what webview magisk module reports and I guess its irrelevant, as long as the android system's version report is correct.

pnin

Aug 26, 2010
    LG G Pad 8.3
    ZTE Axon 7
    Ιf you update bromite from site, then the reported version in developer settings -> webview, reports the version you just installed.

I don't know what webview magisk module reports and I guess its irrelevant, as long as the android system's version report is correct.

Neither. I haven't tested further but, while it was working, the version manually installed (twice) was one and the system reported webview remained an older one...

Not having a clear update path was what prompted me to post here in the first place.

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
    Earth
    Will this work on Samsung OneUI 3.1?

The stock Webview for this ROM is 'WebViewGoogle' (see screenshot).

On other (custom) ROMs I've replaced stock Webview using a method described at the Bromite site. Basically just delete stock Webview apk, replace with Bromite webview apk, install Bromite webview apk, reboot.

Does this module do anything different?

EDIT: To answer my own question: Not for me--not yet anyway.
    In fact it caused a bootloop. Luckily I had a recent TWRP backup to restore from.

During first attempts to install, the module never even paused to accept a keypress, it just stepped all the way through it's steps, then failed.

2nd Attempt:
    Also, it kept reporting 'no internet' or some such, so I put the Bromite webview.apk in the /apks folder and in the config.txt file I changed it to FORCE_CONFIG=1. Something I just now noticed is that it is set to OFFLINE=0. Logic tells me this should have been set to OFFLINE=1. I didn't change it because of this statement in the config.txt
    "# NOT RECOMMENDED TO CHANGE THIS. Default is 0 for automatic detection"

Might try this again. Sure would be nice to hear from someone before I do! 😀
    Webview-Google.jpg

Last edited:

nosar77

Jul 12, 2012
    Im having a issues, I updated my phone factory reset (Note 20 Ultra TMO running SAC 23 custom One ui ROM) and when I try and flash webview magisk it crashes my entire phone. I tried reinstalling Magisk, all the other modules work except this one now. I can supply the logcat if I can get in touch with the devs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Welcome to the XDA home of Webview Manager (formerly bromite systemless Webview and/or WebviewSwitcher)
      Adobe_Post_20210202_0013340.8277657334196729.png

Read about it on our blog:​

What is this?

This magisk module allows to install several webviews and browsers, replacing the stock one with more privacy friendly/better performing browser and/or webview. By default this module will install Bromite.

What happened to Bromite Systemless Webview?

This is the upgraded version with more features and more options. If you desperately want one of the old unsupported ZIPs check the downloads link in the links below.
      You'll be able to seamlessly upgrade from the old module.

Why use different webview or default browser?

These webviews are de-googled or more privacy friendly, or just more updated if you just choose vanilla chromium. The stock one sends quite a bit to google or your OEM and may be buggy and slow.

Why not other methods?

These usually involve directly modifying system and are less versatile and more incompatible.

Systemful install

Systemful install is not supported as of v8.1. Recovery offline install with magisk is.

Configuration

Options are in config.txt, but you can and should select options via volume keys during install.

Getting support

Zip /sdcard/WebviewSwitcher/logs, and send along with detailed description of the issue including device name, ROM, and Android version.

Links

Website and blog is at https://www.androidacy.com
      Donations are here
      Beta/alphas: see zips link
      ZIPs: click me
      Telegram: Androidacy Discussions
      Discord: here
      Magisk repo: here
      It's back in the repository, now with official support from the Bromite team!!
      Ok guys sorry I haven't logged in for awhile, been kinda busy
      The short of it is that as far as I know currently, no other webview besides Google supports Q. In addition, the way webview is handled changed on Q

So although there have been updates, none have made it to stable because I'd like to tackle Q compatibility in the next release. However, if no upstream support is added by end of year I'll push current fixes anyway

In addition to the poster who is complaining about "all devices" -if you read the README (which actually I need to update with the status of Q)* it specify only 7.0-9.0 ROMs are supported

However if you really want to see support for your device enhanced, you really need to join my telegram group, https://t.me/inlmagisk so I can get feedback and provide betas

So yeah. Been a little busy lately with life, and waiting on upstream support. Not dead yet ;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      We're excited to be releasing version 3.1

Sorry for the massive bug introduced in v3.0 but 3.1 is confirmed working on AOSP, RR, LOS, and OOS (needs testing). For some reason, appropriate directory was not getting copied over

Changelog:
      • Fixed installer and boot scripts (finally!)
      • Reduced file size by downloading external resources separate
      • Attempt to support more webview installation scenarios
      Good news everyone!

V4 is live in the Magisk repo, with all stock compatibility fixes

A clean flash is highly recommended for proper functionality of the module
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone