• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Magisk patched recovery boot freeze

Search This thread

soulfabric

Oct 30, 2018
I somehow managed a while back to patch EMUI 9.10.387 with Magisk and got it to boot every time with the patched image without having to press power + vol+. All was fine...

Then, I stupidly updated Magisk modules (running v23) and pressed "reboot now" after the upgrade instead of powering off and rebooting. The phone went into a bootloop then I managed to boot to erecovery without recovering the phone. After that the phone booted normally BUT without magisk.

Since then, I have flashed several times the recovery (fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk xxx") with previously working recovery_ramdisk images. After flashing, when holding power + vol+ the phone displays the "short" warning message (there is a long one displaying options) boots but then gets stuck at the Huawei logo.
Now I can only boot the phone without holding vol+ and then it does boot but without magisk.

Any idea about what happened and how to get magisk back?

soulfabric

Oct 30, 2018
I forgot to add that strangely all standard Huawei apps I had removed (pm uninstall) are back: mirror, huawei wallet...etc.

soulfabric

Oct 30, 2018
I think I found the culprit. Since the issue appeared after updating magisk, I assume one module must have caused the issue. I found a guide on how to delete magisk modules from TWRP (google it).

I flashed TWRP, booted into TWRP and used the file manager. One issue: data is encrypted and so the folders displayed garbage AND instead of deleting /data/adb/modules I deleted a bunch of folders in /data/adb...:eek:

Once done I rebooted and reinstalled Magisk: it asked to install more stuff, confirmed and rebooted. All fine.

Don't touch a working system!