• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Magisk Rom][T83x] WETA 7.0 [SG4][Sep.11]

Search This thread

AxelEric

Oct 6, 2019
It's time...

Tic, tac..... Tic,, tac....

Time to send you a great thank's for help me, and so much others,
To get a rooted SM-T835 !

By the way, for all next people that will use your work...

I've did it on the last official firmware updated !

It worked greatfully.

Thx again.
AxelEric.

Travels

Jan 12, 2011
LG V40
LG V50 ThinQ
Thanks for making this rom Metalmuso! Got root and Magisk on SJ6.

Only thing left is the actual Weta add on through Magisk. When I flash it, itll go into recovery every time.

Any ideas?

Edit: fixed it by going back to Sg4

Last edited:

AaronMBuhr

Nov 16, 2012
(Really?) Bricked tablet

Hi all, I'm at wits end and am hoping some guru out there knows how to help me. I tried to root my Tab S4 but think I got something wrong with the flashing process. I got TWRP flashed and thought I had flashed the necessary kernel and stuff but it wouldn't go past "SAMSUNG". I tried to flash the whole WETA 7.0 package but TWRP (3.3.1.1) insisted that the WETA ZIP file was corrupt or something. I did some web browsing and thought there was a possibility that the newer TWRP had some problem with the ZIP so (using ODIN) I flashed back to twrp_3.2.3-1_sm-t830_26918 and now when i boot it has the start screen and at the top says "Set Warranty Bit : Recovery" and does not go any further. When I try to manually boot into recovery or bootloader (using the vol keys) it just goes back to the same place and no further. If I keep messing with the vol buttons I can get it to the same screen but instead of "Recovery" it says "Kernel" on top, then shortly goes to the screen with only "SAMSUNG" and never proceeds.

Since I can't get into either bootloader or recovery I seem to be stuck. Can anything be done or is my situation irrecoverable? Thanks a ton!

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Hi all, I'm at wits end and am hoping some guru out there knows how to help me. I tried to root my Tab S4 but think I got something wrong with the flashing process. I got TWRP flashed and thought I had flashed the necessary kernel and stuff but it wouldn't go past "SAMSUNG". I tried to flash the whole WETA 7.0 package but TWRP (3.3.1.1) insisted that the WETA ZIP file was corrupt or something. I did some web browsing and thought there was a possibility that the newer TWRP had some problem with the ZIP so (using ODIN) I flashed back to twrp_3.2.3-1_sm-t830_26918 and now when i boot it has the start screen and at the top says "Set Warranty Bit : Recovery" and does not go any further. When I try to manually boot into recovery or bootloader (using the vol keys) it just goes back to the same place and no further. If I keep messing with the vol buttons I can get it to the same screen but instead of "Recovery" it says "Kernel" on top, then shortly goes to the screen with only "SAMSUNG" and never proceeds.

Since I can't get into either bootloader or recovery I seem to be stuck. Can anything be done or is my situation irrecoverable? Thanks a ton!

You can't flash the Weta magisk rom without magisk installed and booted at least once. So forget that until you have TWRP and root. Post #2 has a link to that thread. It sounds like you haven't disabled encryption and formatted data. Also take no notice of warranty bit red text. The only thing that matters, is in download mode that KG status is checking, not prenormal, and that OEM lock is in fact off.

Cryopier

Dec 18, 2019
I have tried a few times and succeeded in recovery and root, but having issues with Nethunter not wanting to install, correctly. I managed root via some other non-XDA guides, but want to achieve a clean, XDA sanctioned root and Magisk install before attempting again.

I am currently on T830XXU4BSJ6 on my Galaxy Tab S4.

I have the following files downloaded:

WETA_Kernel_T830_SG4.img
WETA_Kernel_T83x_5.0.zip
WETA_T83x_SG4-7.0.zip
WETA_M_T83x_v6.1.zip
T83x_PIE_Encryption_Disabler_V2.zip
WETA_Pie_T83x_Root+TWRP.tar
TWRP_T830_3.3.1-4_landscape.tar

Two questions:

I have achieved unlocked bootloader, recovery, root, and Magisk prior. However, is there an advantage to using one recovery image versus another? Is that TWRP+Root package something I should be using?

Is that firmware OK or do I need to flash to the older SG4 stock, first? Is that possible? I've tried previously and received an error that a web search suggested was due to trying to flash to an older firmware version.

Also, there are a lot of files here and I am seeing a few different methods and orders for flashing. Can you tell me which files should be flashed and in which order?

I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
I have tried a few times and succeeded in recovery and root, but having issues with Nethunter not wanting to install, correctly. I managed root via some other non-XDA guides, but want to achieve a clean, XDA sanctioned root and Magisk install before attempting again.

I am currently on T830XXU4BSJ6 on my Galaxy Tab S4.

I have the following files downloaded:

WETA_Kernel_T830_SG4.img
WETA_Kernel_T83x_5.0.zip
WETA_T83x_SG4-7.0.zip
WETA_M_T83x_v6.1.zip
T83x_PIE_Encryption_Disabler_V2.zip
WETA_Pie_T83x_Root+TWRP.tar
TWRP_T830_3.3.1-4_landscape.tar

Two questions:

I have achieved unlocked bootloader, recovery, root, and Magisk prior. However, is there an advantage to using one recovery image versus another? Is that TWRP+Root package something I should be using?

Is that firmware OK or do I need to flash to the older SG4 stock, first? Is that possible? I've tried previously and received an error that a web search suggested was due to trying to flash to an older firmware version.

Also, there are a lot of files here and I am seeing a few different methods and orders for flashing. Can you tell me which files should be flashed and in which order?

I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Follow post #2, which indicates going to the TWRP thread for rooting and TWRP.

This thread is basically form a magisk module now. That is what the rom morphed into.

Cryopier

Dec 18, 2019
Follow post #2, which indicates going to the TWRP thread for rooting and TWRP.

This thread is basically form a magisk module now. That is what the rom morphed into.

I didn't see it in the Magisk Module download list.
Also, which of those files is the kernel I need? I'm sorry, it isn't clear to me. Does it matter what version of Pie I'm on anymore? If so, I imagine SG4 is what I need now?

reaktor TuT

Jul 2, 2014
Sydney
I also have my 835 rooted with Magisk on Android Pie. But I can't see how to get from there to your ROM.
Your rom doesn't appear in Magisk search (not that I can find anyway)

reaktor TuT

Jul 2, 2014
Sydney
I have finished setting up my Tab S4 with TWRP and Magisk manually. No matter how many times flash T83x_PIE_Encrytption_Disabler_V2, the Pie OS encrypts the Internal Storage upon reboot, so that's one problem.
Secondly, I can't find the WETA Magisk module, so I can't install WETA and roll back to OREO. If anyone knows how to find this? Otherwise I'm stuck on Android 9 but at least I have root ;)

On a positive note... I have setup Android Pie to try it out. Root access with Magisk works well and I have NOT tripped KNOX so far. I have also installed Viper4A _XHiFi and tuned the speakers. The newer Viper Audio drivers trip the Google apk checker and show up as a dangerous APK. The older Viper4A _XHiFi is passing the test so far so I have changed to that.
I wish I could take a backup in TWRP but the internal SD is encrypted.

AaronMBuhr

Nov 16, 2012
(Really?) Bricked tablet

You can't flash the Weta magisk rom without magisk installed and booted at least once. So forget that until you have TWRP and root. Post #2 has a link to that thread. It sounds like you haven't disabled encryption and formatted data. Also take no notice of warranty bit red text. The only thing that matters, is in download mode that KG status is checking, not prenormal, and that OEM lock is in fact off.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I can't boot in bootloader/download, I can't boot in recovery, and I can't boot normal/default. Can anything be done? Thanks again.

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I can't boot in bootloader/download, I can't boot in recovery, and I can't boot normal/default. Can anything be done? Thanks again.

If you can't boot into download mode then you are bricked. But this isn't a thing unless you've done something truly screwed up to achieve this.

So you're saying, while holding volume up and volume down, then plugging into a USB port, nothing happens?

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
I have finished setting up my Tab S4 with TWRP and Magisk manually. No matter how many times flash T83x_PIE_Encrytption_Disabler_V2, the Pie OS encrypts the Internal Storage upon reboot, so that's one problem.
Secondly, I can't find the WETA Magisk module, so I can't install WETA and roll back to OREO. If anyone knows how to find this? Otherwise I'm stuck on Android 9 but at least I have root ;)

On a positive note... I have setup Android Pie to try it out. Root access with Magisk works well and I have NOT tripped KNOX so far. I have also installed Viper4A _XHiFi and tuned the speakers. The newer Viper Audio drivers trip the Google apk checker and show up as a dangerous APK. The older Viper4A _XHiFi is passing the test so far so I have changed to that.
I wish I could take a backup in TWRP but the internal SD is encrypted.

Where are you looking? Everything is in the mega folder linked in the Op. And.. believe me, your Knox is tripped. Also turn that Google app checker off. Unless you don't mind missing out on the full viper experience.

Post #2 is the installation instructions, I link to a different encryption disabler to the one you quote in the TWRP thread i point to to gain root.

reaktor TuT

Jul 2, 2014
Sydney
Where are you looking? Everything is in the mega folder linked in the Op. And.. believe me, your Knox is tripped. Also turn that Google app checker off. Unless you don't mind missing out on the full viper experience.

Post #2 is the installation instructions, I link to a different encryption disabler to the one you quote in the TWRP thread i point to to gain root.

So should I use WETA_Kernel_T835_SG4.img ? Does this have the encryption disabler in it, or should I use the June 2019 NoEnc file in the OLD folder on Megadrive?

Lastly, how should I flash the WETA_Kernel_T835_SG4.img ? Do I do this in TWRP? I just dont want to brick my machine by flashing the kernal incorrectly. Thanks your your help Mentalmuso. I'll buy you some beers where its done :cool:

reaktor TuT

Jul 2, 2014
Sydney
So should I use WETA_Kernel_T835_SG4.img ? Does this have the encryption disabler in it, or should I use the June 2019 NoEnc file in the OLD folder on Megadrive?

Lastly, how should I flash the WETA_Kernel_T835_SG4.img ? Do I do this in TWRP? I just dont want to brick my machine by flashing the kernal incorrectly. Thanks your your help Mentalmuso. I'll buy you some beers where its done :cool:

BTW: See attached JPEG. Knox 0x0 even with your v5.0 WETA kernel and root. Go figure. I have checked a few ways. All show 0x0 :rolleyes:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    0heEu4S.jpg

You flash this rom at your own risk,
    i take no responsibility for any mishaps.​

To flash this rom, you will need to follow the instructions that are posted in post #2.​

Subscribe to update notifications and general chat by clicking the button below. If you have a request, do it there with the tag #wetarequest.
    WETA T830 TELEGRAM CHANNEL

WETA Update notification only channel - Update notifications

This here is my personal setup and thought i'd share. Usually i test extensively before releasing to public, but if you do find something detrimental to the usage of your device that is either Force Closing or simply not working, let me know and i will in turn inform whether that is something i will tend to.

WETA is made for Music geeks like me, its main focus is stability and Audio. It is Based off latest firmware currently, and will always be using the most up to date firmware base.

This ROM is built from stock system images, decompiled and modded by me.

Audio mods...

ViPER4Android 2.3.4.0 with Super quality audio driver or the new 2.5.0.5 with driver pre-installed (credit to @viper520 + @zhuhang)
    - for more info on V4A, visit the WEBSITE or XDA thread
    ViPER4Android 2.6.* , and updated V4A interface that can run on any V4A driver. Thanks goes out to - @Team_DeWitt - XDA Labs Link

Rom also includes...

Hybrid Deodexed rom (only deodexed where needed for stability and smoothness
    3Minit Battery Mod Option (status bar and Home button) - (credit to @gharrington)
    - for more info on 3Minit Battery, visit the WEBSITE or XDA thread
    3Minit Clock Mod Option (status bar and Home button) - (credit to @gharrington)
    - for more info on 3Minit Clock, visit the XDA thread
    GRX Settings is used as a ROM control - (credit and thanks to @Grouxho)
    GRX Circle battery mod - (credit and thanks to @Grouxho)

Changelog...

Initial build
    V4A 2.3.4.0 + 2.5.0.4 + 2.6.0.6
    WETA Audio drivers
    Disabling of Samsung audio
    3Minit Battery and Clock
    Circle battery mod
    Net speed indicators
    Enable uhq for Bluetooth audio
    Nav bar height
    Nav bar colors
    V4A 2.3.4.0 + 2.5.0.5 + 2.6.0.6
    Knox disabled
    Debloated slightly
    Other stuff

Rebased off RK4 from T835
    - LTE functions should work
    Added reboot to Recovery tile to QS
    Added UHQ and Screen Capture tiles to QS

Rebased off SD1 (pie) from T830 and T837

Updated base to SF3 (t830 only until t835 available)
    Fixed Safety Net issues

Updated to SF4 base. Use the same firmware, and associated kernel to root.

Added model selection T835 now supported. Use volume buttons to select model at flash time.

Do not flash Gapps with this ROM!
    Because this is based off of stock Samsung, gapps are included.

Backup DATA!!! just in case.

Wipe Data if you are coming from another rom or version base if you have crashes or other issues before reporting.
    Format SDCard if coming from stock encrypted

Downloads Mega - Downloads v7.0+ Mega
    Downloads are also posted into the Telegram thread.

--------------------->

Kernel Source -
    GITHUB

--------------------->

Beer fund

XDA:DevDB Information
    WETA T830, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S4

Contributors
    Mentalmuso, mentalmuso
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo

Version Information

Created 2019-01-28
    Last Updated 2019-01-27
    Pie root and TWRP

Below is a modified twrp img that will work with pie. I used @ashyx twrp to achieve this.

Root is a custom kernel with security disabled and is permissive. Magisk is pre patched.

1. Flash complete stock PIE using Odin.
    2. Boot up fully, connect to internet and open dev settings and check oem unlock is checked.
    3. Boot into download mode and flash WETA_Pie_T83x_Root+TWRP.tar in Odin. Don't let it boot to system, boot straight into TWRP.
    4. Flash T83x_PIE_encryptdisabler_+++.zip
    5. Format data in TWRP
    6. Reboot to recovery/TWRP
    7. Reboot to system

If boot hangs on Samsung logo for more than 7min then force reboot. It should bootup then.

Downloads - https://nextcloud.justbeca.us/s/t66H4DLXL5DYRss

There's always a chance of getting stuck with the unofficial binaries lockout message. If this happens flash stock Pie AP.tar with Odin. Boot and connect to internet then when you go to dev settings, oem unlock should be present and KG status should be back to checking. Remember this is all a work in progress

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
    Flasing Instructions

Pretty simple really...

Get yourself onto stock Pie firmware, using Odin to flash the complete package. Before proceeding. Boot up and make sure you have OEM unlock switch and its activated.

Follow the instructions here to get TWRP and Root - https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=79483624

1. WETA Rom is now a Magisk Module. Download and flash in TWRP or Magisk Manager (must be done after Magisk has been installed and booted). You MUST have the same firmware base version as the module being flashed.
    2. Boot up system, if it hangs on Samsung logo after 3min perform hard reboot.
    3. Connect to internet and go to dev settings and cheeck oem unlock is present before any rebooting.

--->
    -
    WETA 7.0

Updated to SG4

Before installing or updating anything in odin, remove any previous WETA modules in Magisk Manager

Untick reboot + Flash firmware AP.tar in odin before flashing WETA 7.0
    T830 use SG4 (xar) firmware
    T835 use SG4 (xef) firmware

Flash TWRP
    Boot into TWRP
    Flash WETA Kernel for your device (sg4)
    Flash Encryption disabler
    If you did this correctly you shouldnt have to wipe data.

Downloads Nextcloud - Downloads Mega
    Downloads are also posted into the Telegram thread.

--->
    WETA 4.0.1 T835 + T830

Added Dex mods to rom zip
    Changed T837 version to T835
    Magisk 19.1 kernel patch

Download page

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk