[Magisk] Root for the Galaxy S10 Series

jediknight111

Feb 28, 2011
Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm unable to update magisk in the new magisk update 22.0 , any help?

Update the manager fine by restoring manager to default, but magisk won't install, what options do I need to select?
SmartSelect_20210223-181332.jpg
SmartSelect_20210223-181344.jpg

robbo1947

Jun 2, 2007
Manchester
Last edited:
Reactions: jediknight111

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Coming from unrooted stock I think I followed the instruction (used Magisk 22.0) . But after loading firmware with Odin (patched AP and others) - I am in a bootloop. See this part of instruction:
  • After Odin is done, your device should reboot. You may continue with standard initial setup.
    If you are stuck in a bootloop, agree to do a factory reset if promted.
But while in bootloop there is no question about wipe data! How to get out of this hell?
The only I get is back to download mode but there is question "Lock bootloader + factory reset" or "Don't lock and restart". Finally I go to "Recovery Mode" and did factory reset there to get out of bootloop. After a while Android starts. Magisk is away (because of factory reset). But after installing Magisk again it reports to have no RD installed. ?!?

Last edited:

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Looking at the result of the magisk_patched...tar I see that only boot.img is changed. Isn't it just enough to flash this with heimdall? (In fact Odin is for me a bigger thing - don't have Windows. Does Odin works with Wine?)

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Coming from unrooted stock I think I followed the instruction (used Magisk 22.0) . But after loading firmware with Odin (patched AP and others) - I am in a bootloop. See this part of instruction:
  • After Odin is done, your device should reboot. You may continue with standard initial setup.
    If you are stuck in a bootloop, agree to do a factory reset if promted.
But while in bootloop there is no question about wipe data! How to get out of this hell?
The only I get is back to download mode but there is question "Lock bootloader + factory reset" or "Don't lock and restart". Finally I go to "Recovery Mode" and did factory reset there to get out of bootloop. After a while Android starts. Magisk is away (because of factory reset). But after installing Magisk again it reports to have no RD installed. ?!?
Mh, after reading instructions again and again I found the problem. You can either call me stupid or one can think that instructions can have a slight improvement.
So what was problem: At beginning of manual there is mentioned that AFTER installing Magisk with Odin you might boot in a special way, via Recovery.
@topjohnwu: Wouldn't it be better to mentioned that in the line - after odin is done?
Additional it confuses me that nowaday USB cable has to be plugged in addition to the known pushing the Vol+ / Bixby / Power keys.

Reactions: J.Michael

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Finally I flashed a Magisk patched TWRP 3.5. Wow. Difficult for me, but how difficult is it for the dev. Great work!

Is this a known issue that Magisk doesn't boot recovery if requested? Is it something that can be solved in future? It would be much more comfortable than standard way of shutdown and Vol+/Bixby/Power.

Reactions: J.Michael

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
One more thing: If I see this right - without a PC connected I don't have a chance to boot into Magisk enabled system?
That I think is a really bad thing. Just imaging you have a firewall running and your Phone does a reboot! You phone is not protected anymore.
Is there a chance to modify that logig?
Any way to reboot into Magisk-enabled mode?

I understand that the hack combining Magisk/recovery is required, but could it be solved another way around?

Any chance to revert the need of USB plugged for Recovery?