[Magisk] Root for the Galaxy S10 Series

Search This thread

Darkwa

Aug 28, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S10
Edit: for the people who keep losing root, this is wat works for me to keep root:

Whenever I try to reboot my phone I lose root.
Since android 11 (using 12 now) I have only 1 working way to boot into root:
1. Turn off phone
2. Connect USB cable to phone and laptop/pc.
3. Wait till you see the charging percentage
4. Hold volume up, bixby and than the power button at the same time.
5. Release all buttons after 2nd screen

I cannot boot in root without the use of a laptop/pc.

Last edited:

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Whenever I try to reboot my phone I lose root.
Since android 11 (using 12 now) I have only 1 working way to boot into root:
1. Turn off phone
2. Connect USB cable to phone and laptop/pc.
3. Wait till you see the charging percentage
4. Hold volume up, bixby and than the power button at the same time.
5. Release all buttons after 2nd screen

I cannot boot in root without the use of a laptop/pc.
Have you tried connecting cable to phone *without* connecting other end of cable to pc?

I have read of that working for some people (maybe different phone). Never read explanation of why. Might be important for other end of cable to be a device like thumb drive.

Darkwa

Aug 28, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S10
Have you tried connecting cable to phone *without* connecting other end of cable to pc?

I have read of that working for some people (maybe different phone). Never read explanation of why. Might be important for other end of cable to be a device like thumb drive.

I tried that again. One end to the phone and one and with the USB cable attached to the charger and another attempt without the usb charger.

I was not clear in my other message. But my message was meant to the people who kept loosing root and who are not willing to downgrade the kernel.
But any other advice is also welcome. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: UC666

bruram

May 18, 2008
I tried that again. One end to the phone and one and with the USB cable attached to the charger and another attempt without the usb charger.

I was not clear in my other message. But my message was meant to the people who kept loosing root and who are not willing to downgrade the kernel.
But any other advice is also welcome. :)
For my Galaxy S10e SM-G970F

If root is active, you can reboot in the following ways

1-First way without cable
Open magisk, click on the circular arrows on the top right.
Then click on Reboot or on "Reboot to recovery"

2-Second way without cable
Click on power and then on poweroff
If you click on power and then Reboot, you loose root.

Other ways withou cable
If you have Twrp, you can always go to twrp pressing the 3 combo buttons
for more than 14 seconds.
When you are in twrp, click on reboot and then click on "Reboot to recovery"

If on the contrary you are in no-root AND have Twrp

1-Click on power to poweroff the phone
2-Connect a cable
3-Immediately (before charging start) press and release the 3 combo buttons,
than press a second time the 3 combo buttons for more than 14 seconds
4-In Twrp click on reboot and then on Reboot to Recovery.

I don't know if the stock recovery can make a "Reboot to Recovery"

ZmisiS

Dec 23, 2011
Livno
For reboot in recovery I use Root Essentials. Install it and open it. Click on Rebooter and select Reboot Recovery. After reboot root on phone working.

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
For my Galaxy S10e SM-G970F

If root is active, you can reboot in the following ways

1-First way without cable
Open magisk, click on the circular arrows on the top right.
Then click on Reboot or on "Reboot to recovery"

2-Second way without cable
Click on power and then on poweroff
If you click on power and then Reboot, you loose root.

Other ways withou cable
If you have Twrp, you can always go to twrp pressing the 3 combo buttons
for more than 14 seconds.
When you are in twrp, click on reboot and then click on "Reboot to recovery"

If on the contrary you are in no-root AND have Twrp

1-Click on power to poweroff the phone
2-Connect a cable
3-Immediately (before charging start) press and release the 3 combo buttons,
than press a second time the 3 combo buttons for more than 14 seconds
4-In Twrp click on reboot and then on Reboot to Recovery.

I don't know if the stock recovery can make a "Reboot to Recovery"
I do not understand the point of the last option, the "no root, but have TWRP, but need cable".

Can't you always get to recovery from a completely shut-down device? If your recovery is TWRP, and TWRP itself has a "reboot to recovery" option, that will get you past the button fiddling that I suffered through. What is the reason for attaching a cable?

bruram

May 18, 2008
I do not understand the point of the last option, the "no root, but have TWRP, but need cable".
I need the cable connection to go to twrp.
Without cable connection the phone goes to android without root even with the 3 combo buttons.
Can't you always get to recovery from a completely shut-down device?

No, in my S10e (android 12) I can't.

If your recovery is TWRP, and TWRP itself has a "reboot to recovery" option, that will get you past the button fiddling that I suffered through.
edit: obviously..

What is the reason for attaching a cable?
The reasons is that the cable is necessary to go to Recovery.

In another Galaxy A22 5g, completely stock (recovery stock, original firmware, bootloader locked) the cable is always necessary to go to recovery.

The Galaxy A22 does't have bixby button: but to go to download mode and also to go to stock recovery the bixby button is substituded by the cable connection.

Reactions: J.Michael

tomiasx22

Feb 4, 2020
I have such question,
Do you think I should use only latest TWRP from official site for bootloader and not any "better" custom one? I ask becouse as far as I remember, last time when I used official one, there was problem that my drive wasn't displayed properly (no files) and trying everything from YouTube I couldn't fix that.

Another short question, do you think it is safe to restore either Google backup or settings backup from Samsung account (I consider only system settings but what about full copy as well?) after again factory reset and root? I mean stability of system and possible other issues.
I ask becouse so many apps and system settings to configure again...

bruram

May 18, 2008
I have such question,
Do you think I should use only latest TWRP from official site for bootloader and not any "better" custom one? I ask becouse as far as I remember, last time when I used official one, there was problem that my drive wasn't displayed properly (no files) and trying everything from YouTube I couldn't fix that.

If you have Android 11 or 12 you must use last official twrp for your phone.

On my S10e I have (and aal is running well) Android 12 HVD1, Patched Twrp-3.6.1_9-1, Magisk 24.3

Another short question, do you think it is safe to restore either Google backup or settings backup from Samsung account (I consider only system settings but what about full copy as well?) after again factory reset and root? I mean stability of system and possible other issues.
I ask becouse so many apps and system settings to configure again...
I don't know, because i don't use google or Samsung to make backup or restore.
I use only images made with Twrp and/or Titanium backup.

I never had instability after a restore made by twrp; this images are a true system images and are complete with kernel, system, all partitions, apps and data.

Usually, when I make a reinstall from scratch, i reinstall all the apps from Playstore, and all the data (app per app) from Titanium.

tomiasx22

Feb 4, 2020
If you have Android 11 or 12 you must use last official twrp for your phone.

On my S10e I have (and aal is running well) Android 12 HVD1, Patched Twrp-3.6.1_9-1, Magisk 24.3

I don't know, because i don't use google or Samsung to make backup or restore.
I use only images made with Twrp and/or Titanium backup.

I never had instability after a restore made by twrp; this images are a true system images and are complete with kernel, system, all partitions, apps and data.

Usually, when I make a reinstall from scratch, i reinstall all the apps from Playstore, and all the data (app per app) from Titanium.
Thanks for the answer. Clear for me.
I will try to install official TWRP (I hope latest version will be OK as previously I had to use custom one so that I had access to my storage).
By the way, is there easy way to make and restore backup from TWRP menu or it requires external module installed? And if about Titanum, that app should be installed from Play store or from TWRP?

bruram

May 18, 2008
Thanks for the answer. Clear for me.
I will try to install official TWRP (I hope latest version will be OK as previously I had to use custom one so that I had access to my storage).
By the way, is there easy way to make and restore backup from TWRP menu or it requires external module installed? And if about Titanum, that app should be installed from Play store or from TWRP?

It seems from your language that you are not expert on this type of operations.

If this is the case DO NOT use twrp (you can soft brick your phone).

Please read the first post of this thread by Topjohnwu for root, and the first post of this other thread to better understand Twrp use on Galaxies phone under Android 10 and following:

You must know that with root and twrp
-you loose warranty (unlocked bootloader)
-you loose encryption (don't use bank app on a phone without encryption)
-you must erase all data (baclup!)
-Gpay and Samsung Pay not running without tricks.

So if you are not expert, be prudent!

malcolmy

Oct 28, 2010
Hello everyone

What is the proper way to upgrade magisk on Samsung galaxy S10?

I had 24.3 and I wanted to upgrade to v25 so here's what I did:

1. Install Magisk v25 apk

2. Patch TWRP.3.6.img in magisk

3. Flash the patched file in TWP as image >> recovery

Now the device will not boot, it keeps booting into TWRP only no matter what key combinations I use.

So I guess I did something wrong? How should magisk be upgraded?

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Hello everyone

What is the proper way to upgrade magisk on Samsung galaxy S10?

I had 24.3 and I wanted to upgrade to v25 so here's what I did:

1. Install Magisk v25 apk

2. Patch TWRP.3.6.img in magisk

3. Flash the patched file in TWP as image >> recovery

Now the device will not boot, it keeps booting into TWRP only no matter what key combinations I use.

So I guess I did something wrong? How should magisk be upgraded?
You have Magisk 24.3. How did you install it? Did you use Magisk Manager app 24.3 to patch TWRP?

Check the Magosk thread. I think there is a problem using Magisk 25 on Samsung devices. People are waiting for Magisk to be fixed.

meric57

Oct 2, 2017
Oeutrange
Hello Malcolm, did you make a backup with TRWP if so, do a restore. It will start as before and nothing has changed in magisk. My magisk app has just been updated. like this all will be well magisk 25 and clean.

malcolmy

Oct 28, 2010
You have Magisk 24.3. How did you install it? Did you use Magisk Manager app 24.3 to patch TWRP?

Check the Magosk thread. I think there is a problem using Magisk 25 on Samsung devices. People are waiting for Magisk to be fixed.

It came with ambasadii rom that I use.

I'm not interested in magisk v25 per se, I'm interested in knowing how to update magisk period. Because the direct install method on the S10 always gave me problems so I was forced to wait for the next version of the ROM.

Reactions: J.Michael

malcolmy

Oct 28, 2010
Hello Malcolm, did you make a backup with TRWP if so, do a restore. It will start as before and nothing has changed in magisk. My magisk app has just been updated. like this all will be well magisk 25 and clean.

The direct install method in magisk has never worked smoothly for me, it always gave me problems. I just want to know how to update magisk on my S10 without waiting for the ROM dev to update, or to force me upgrade to Android 12 for example.

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
The direct install method in magisk has never worked smoothly for me, it always gave me problems. I just want to know how to update magisk on my S10 without waiting for the ROM dev to update, or to force me upgrade to Android 12 for example.
Maybe the ROM dev can help you.

I have read of problems when the Magisk Manager app is installed as a system app. Can you say whether that is the case?

When you installed the v25 Magisk app, did you first uninstall the v23.5 app? Do you now have more than one Magisk app? What does each one say about the versions of Magisk and Magisk app installed?

How was this "ambasadii" ROM delivered/installed?
Did it come as a set of tar files to be installed using Odin?
Is TWRP already the recovery?
Is that where you got the TWRP you patched with Magisk?

I say again: I think there is a problem in Magisk v25 on Samsung devices. Maybe you should wait to read that that has been resolved before pursuing your quest of learning to update the Magisk that comes with your ROM. And ask the ROM developer.

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
@Malcomy: Is this your ROM?

That page says
● Don't update magisk from magisk manager (magisk is included into pre-rooted custom kernel and can't be updated via magisk manager!)

From skimming this thread, it looks like the only way to update Magisk is by updating the kernel. Not quite the same as having to wait for the ROM developer, but a whole new interesting problem, "Which kernels are compatible, and who do you trust?"

Last edited:
For reboot in recovery I use Root Essentials. Install it and open it. Click on Rebooter and select Reboot Recovery. After reboot root on phone working.
Hi guys just reading your posts with interest.
I've just rooted my s10 beyond1lte . Major inconvenience tbh . Surely there must be modified stock rom or something that includes a build in workariund if you can get it into TWRP?
Hats off to @topjohnwu for his work on # .

Appreciated

I've always used this app :

Power Menu Little Vic Apk

Which is pretty decent and simple.

Regards

ZmisiS

Dec 23, 2011
Livno
Hi guys just reading your posts with interest.
I've just rooted my s10 beyond1lte . Major inconvenience tbh . Surely there must be modified stock rom or something that includes a build in workariund if you can get it into TWRP?
Hats off to @topjohnwu for his work on # .

Appreciated

I've always used this app :

Power Menu Little Vic Apk

Which is pretty decent and simple.

Regards
On stock rom, Android 11 and Android 12, when root with Magisk TWRP not working. When TWRP work, root not working. That is my experience.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Decided to go Back to stock and no root, phone became heavy unpredictable with beyondrom and magisk. Notifications arriving all at once hours late etc etc .. Used ToolAllinOne to debloat. Installed brave browser, that will do for me.. Too much hassle screwing with this phone and you get that actual real feeling of your phone being vulnerable as hell with the warnings imo.

Regards
    I need the cable connection to go to twrp.
    Without cable connection the phone goes to android without root even with the 3 combo buttons.
    Can't you always get to recovery from a completely shut-down device?

No, in my S10e (android 12) I can't.

If your recovery is TWRP, and TWRP itself has a "reboot to recovery" option, that will get you past the button fiddling that I suffered through.
    edit: obviously..

What is the reason for attaching a cable?
    The reasons is that the cable is necessary to go to Recovery.

In another Galaxy A22 5g, completely stock (recovery stock, original firmware, bootloader locked) the cable is always necessary to go to recovery.

The Galaxy A22 does't have bixby button: but to go to download mode and also to go to stock recovery the bixby button is substituded by the cable connection.

It came with ambasadii rom that I use.

I'm not interested in magisk v25 per se, I'm interested in knowing how to update magisk period. Because the direct install method on the S10 always gave me problems so I was forced to wait for the next version of the ROM.
    @Malcomy: Is this your ROM?

That page says

From skimming this thread, it looks like the only way to update Magisk is by updating the kernel. Not quite the same as having to wait for the ROM developer, but a whole new interesting problem, "Which kernels are compatible, and who do you trust?"
    Yes that is my ROM. I actually gave up. I tried building a kernel from the cruel kernel github (which the ambasadii kernel is based on). I could get it to work and modify it to include magisk 25.1, but I still need to use the combination buttons to boot. If I can know how to include that in the kernel build it would be great.
    I think it's a mistake to try to include Magisk in the kernel.

Can you describe what is changed in a kernel to include Magisk?

I don't understand needing combination buttons to boot. If you mean to have Magisk active, I thought that went with having Magisk installed in recovery. I don't remember most of what I've read in this thread, does Magisk have to be installed in recovery on this device, or have some people gotten away with installing it in the boot partition?

I can't describe what is changed to the kernel, that is way above my paygrade. But you can see these links:

When I use my own build of the Cruelkernel, I need the combo buttons to boot. Without them the phone doesn't boot at all.

I realize now what I'm talking about is different to my original complaint because I'm trying different things. I thing magisk v25 had a problem with installation like you said.
    Here comes official Magisk support for the Galaxy S10!
    Let's get Magisk to kick start the development of these Samsung devices!

Link to Instructions
    Carefully read through everything in the page linked above! Follow the instructions closely so you don't end up bricking your device

Technical Details
    Google enforces all devices that ships with Android 9.0 to use system-as-root in part of "Project Treble", so Samsung finally introduced their own "flavor" of the implementation. More details regarding system-as-root can be found in the official Google dev site. Samsung is using the A-only system-as-root setup, meaning that its boot image will only contain the kernel binary without ramdisk included. Similar setup has already been deployed on many new devices, and the solutions for those devices are rather simple: add a new ramdisk section into the boot image and hexpatch the kernel to always use ramdisk as rootfs. However in Samsung's case, the bootloader simply does not load anything other than the kernel binary to the memory, meaning no matter what we do the kernel will always use the system partition as root directory. This leaves us no option but to install Magisk onto the recovery partition.

Installing to the recovery partition have its own issues: first is that a service called "flash_recovery" will run when the system starts up, which will restore the recovery image back to stock on startup. This is unacceptable because not only does it uninstall Magisk in the process, the data encryption key will also be changed due to fact that Samsung's data encryption keys are tied to the bootloader status and boot/recovery image signatures, and thus causing the device unable to boot in following reboots unless factory reset. The solution to this problem is to simply repack the boot image to remove the binary integrity and also the signature of the partition. The second issue is that since Magisk and recovery shares the same partition, how can we actually boot into recovery? (e.g. to factory reset your device, or have custom recovery co-exist with Magisk) Fortunately a solution that detects button key presses is introduced, which details are already provided in instructions.

To make matters even worse, Samsung introduced a "VaultKeeper" service, which adds another "lock" on top of the OEM lock of the bootloader. By default the service will "relock" the bootloader after data is wiped. Only after the initial setup will it verify the OEM lock option and changes the bootloader state accordingly. If you are running custom firmware with stock system, DO NOT try to wipe data or else you might end up bricking your device due to vaultkeeper locking your bootloader up, which will eventually lead to bootloader refusing to boot because unofficial partitions are detected.

For custom ROM developers, the first few things you would want to remove is VaultKeeper to protect your users from bricking their devices. For stock ROM users, just make sure to always boot to Magisk after a data wipe, or never power off your device before finishing the initial setup and verify OEM lock is enabled.
    OK guys, @PillowCake[/MENTI[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]ON] [MENTION=5902940]bininga59 @Norup58
    In the interests of accuracy for everyone, afterall this what XDA is all about isn't it, I am scrubbing previous post and re-worded a new one.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Firmware updates and keeping your data,
    for phones Magisk rooted without TWRP.

Just download new firmware, copy the AP file of the new firmware to your phone.
    Open Magisk Manager, ensure Magisk is up to date, if not, update it.
    When Magisk is up to date, if you have any Magisk Modules running, go into Modules and disable them (no need to uninstall them). Then reboot and go back into Magisk Manager.
    Hit the top INSTALL, select INSTALL again then select 'Select and Patch a File'
    Locate the new AP file from your new firmware and patch it. Then copy the magisk_patched.tar back to your computer, preferably with ADB to minimize corruption during transfer.
    Power off phone and reboot to Download mode.
    Open Odin 3.13.1 on your computer, and
    deselect Reboot under Options tab. Now use the new magisk_patched file in the AP slot, the BL and CP from your new firmware into their respective slots and importantly HOME_CSC into the CSC slot. Press start and let Odin do it's stuff.

When flashed, do not wipe. Press and hold Vol-down and Power, when screen goes off, quickly change to Vol-up, Bixby button and Power. As soon as screen appears, let go of all buttons.
    Within moments without any further user intervention your phone will reboot into your updated Magisk rooted mode, data intact.
    Just re-enable your previously disabled Magisk modules.
    Hi guys!!
    Got a S10, rooted with magisk, no TWRP installed.
    I want to update to the latest Firmware with magisk, but without wipe everything , is it possible?
    What are the steps please?

Galaxy S10 Firmware update.
    The Galaxy S10 May firmware update has started to appear and users will be wanting to update their firmware without losing their data and keep their Magisk root.

For phones with Magisk root only without TWRP.
    The process is similar to when you first rooted your phone but you need all the firmware files and DO NOT wipe.
    Download your new firmwware using Frija or Samfirm, making absolutely sure it is the correct version for your phone model and region (csc), you can use an app such as 'Phone INFO' to help here.
    Unzip the downloaded file to an easy place to find on your computer.
    From this unzipped folder locate the file name beginning AP and copy this file to your phone.
    On your phone open Magisk Manager and hit INSTALL against Magisk, prompt will come up, hit INSTALL, Select Method - Select and Patch a File, then choose the AP file you have just copied to your phone. Let Magisk process complete.
    Copy the new magisk_patched file on your phone back to your computer, preferably the same folder you copied the AP from.
    Open Odin (use Odin3_v3.13.1) On Odin Option tab untick Auto Reboot.
    Power off your phone and connect it to your computer. Press and hold volume-down until Download screen appears then volume-up to continue. On Odin the box below ID:COM should turn blue.
    For the AP option select the magisk_patched file, then select the BL file and the CP file, then the HOME_CSC file.
    Click Start and let the process complete - several minutes.
    Now the nimble fingers bit, remember NO WIPE. Press and hold Bixby button, (Bixby is superfluous but convenient at this first point) Vol-down and Power, when screen goes off, quickly change to Vol-up button whilst still holding Bixby and Power. As soon as screen appears, let go of all buttons.
    Your phone will now reboot into Magisk rooted mode with all your data intact.
    Hi John (@topjohnwu),

Great job with this find & guide for it. It works flawlessly if all the steps are followed 100%. Thanks!

I've made a full video tutorial (including ROM downloading and everything), maybe it'll help others who have had problems or just want to see the process while or before they perform it.

Feel free to post it in the OP if you think it helps in any way.

The video link is as follows: https://youtu.be/o3a8YnWT3yk

Thanks!
    Last night, I used Magisk Manager to patch the AP file from the ASD5 firmware. This is actually the first time I have upgraded in this way, and I must say that John has made life extremely easy for all of us.

I just wanted to give a tip for anyone who is already running TWRP on their device at the time they need to update their firmware.

Using John's procedure, you'll have to enter download mode a second time to re-install TWRP and re-disable encryption. Since I screw up getting into download mode once in a while, I find it a nerve-racking experience, since failing to boot into download mode at this juncture could initiate a system reboot that would re-encrypt /data.

So, before you flash the patched AP, you can make a copy of your existing Magisk-rooted TWRP recovery. For example, a quick way to do it is by typing this in a root shell:

Code:
    # dd if=/dev/block/sda15 of=recovery.img

Next, replace the stock recovery image in the AP file that you patched using Magisk Manager. On Linux, that would look something like this. Adapt these commands for whichever platform you use.

Code:
    $ tar f magisk_patched.tar --delete recovery.img
    $ tar rf magisk_patched.tar recovery.img

Now, when you flash the resulting file in Odin and reboot, all you have to do is hold the recovery combo down until you reach TWRP. Then, simply disable encryption again (e.g. by flashing my own multidisabler zip) and reboot.

I followed the above procedure myself last night and it worked like a charm.