Question Magisk (root): Knox warranty void and Samsung Pay. Is it worth it?

Search This thread

CZBaterka

Sep 10, 2017
Hi guys,
I got my S22+ few days back. My previous device was rooted OnePlus 5.
I was planning to root S22+ too, but then I seen that there is some kind of e-fuse in the device to mark is as Warranty void.

This causes device to be permanently marked as unlocked, Knox will be disabled and Samsung Pay + some other features will stop working forever.
Is this true even if I want only Magisk systemless root? I was using Google Pay on my OnePlus 5 what was also rooted by Magisk.
Samsung Pay looks promising to me, because I moved to Samsung ecosystem also with buying new Samsung watches and I would like to use it at 100% potential.

What would you recommend me? Root or leave as is? I personally need the root just to be able to remove bloatware, restore apps with data, disable ads in some games and have ability to use e.g CLI (Web server and things like this, occosionaly)

PS: Google Pay, banking apps etc. will still work even with Knox disabled, or not? They were working on the OnePlus 5

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi guys,
I got my S22+ few days back. My previous device was rooted OnePlus 5.
I was planning to root S22+ too, but then I seen that there is some kind of e-fuse in the device to mark is as Warranty void.

This causes device to be permanently marked as unlocked, Knox will be disabled and Samsung Pay + some other features will stop working forever.
Is this true even if I want only Magisk systemless root? I was using Google Pay on my OnePlus 5 what was also rooted by Magisk.
Samsung Pay looks promising to me, because I moved to Samsung ecosystem also with buying new Samsung watches and I would like to use it at 100% potential.

What would you recommend me? Root or leave as is? I personally need the root just to be able to remove bloatware, restore apps with data, disable ads in some games and have ability to use e.g CLI (Web server and things like this, occosionaly)

PS: Google Pay, banking apps etc. will still work even with Knox disabled, or not? They were working on the OnePlus 5
If you want your device to function as if it's stock, then leave it stock. If you're willing to compromise some features for the sake of having root, then root away. "Pay to play" is essentially the bottom line of all modifications, whether software or hardware. Losing the ability to use some features is always a risk when you modify a device, including root.

CZBaterka

Sep 10, 2017
If you want your device to function as if it's stock, then leave it stock. If you're willing to compromise some features for the sake of having root, then root away. "Pay to play" is essentially the bottom line of all modifications, whether software or hardware. Losing the ability to use some features is always a risk when you modify a device, including root.
I just do not understand why Knox and Samsung Pay gets disabled forever... Thats kinda Apple style of doing stuff seems to me...

Is there any other way of restoring backups with data without root btw? I see that Helium and oandbackup are deprecated :(

Last edited:

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I just do not understand why Knox and Samsung Pay gets disabled forever... Thats kinda Apple style of doing stuff seems to me...

Is there any other way of restoring backups with data btw? I see that Helium and oandbackup are deprecated :(
Swift Backup (root version) can back up and restore app data.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I know, but I asked about way to restore app data without triggering e-fuse and disabling Knox :)
Ah. Well, Android has always incorporated application segregation, where any one app cannot access data belonging to another app, with the exception of common storage (such as photos/media) or certain system information (location, call history, messages, etc). Therefore, it's not possible for an application such as Swift to backup app data without root.

Whether or not rooting your device will trip Knox is another question entirely, one that I unfortunately do not have the answer to; I haven't been active in the Samsung scene for quite some time. I would assume that it does, given how it's worked in the past.

Edit: I'd like to point out that it may be possible to pass SafetyNet after rooting by using Magisk modules such as Universal SafetyNet Fix and MagiskHide Props Config, but there are no guarantees. This may also only work for applications that depend on CTS and basic integrity, so while GPay may work, Samsung Pay may not.

Last edited:

Pierreken

Oct 11, 2009
I had my previous S8+ rooted and that caused knox to be tripped (0x1) and recently my company decided to start using Intune from Microsoft to separate work and personal data but Intune kept complaining about the fact that my device was no longer 'official'. I never found a way to bypass that (even though Google Pay and my banking app was working with Magisk). I ended up buyiung a new phone (S22+) and decided to not root anymore or use custom roms.

Reactions: pitelasssss

jojos38

There was an ongoing Github to attempt to root S22 without tripping Knox, they were able to get SE Linux permissive but that's pretty much it for now. They said that Samsung security (DEFEX) is blocking them from gaining root but maybe at some point someone will succeed in breaking that security. That being said it only works on march patch and if you've updated to may patch or above it's undoable at all because you can't even downgrade

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had my previous S8+ rooted and that caused knox to be tripped (0x1) and recently my company decided to start using Intune from Microsoft to separate work and personal data but Intune kept complaining about the fact that my device was no longer 'official'. I never found a way to bypass that (even though Google Pay and my banking app was working with Magisk). I ended up buyiung a new phone (S22+) and decided to not root anymore or use custom roms.