[Magisk] Root P20 Pro

• Thread starter LastStandingDroid
  • Start date
Search This thread

rukia06

Sep 5, 2009
thanks.
Can confirm using 5.7 magisk manager app wouldnt open.

Getting 5.6.4 worked.
https://github.com/topjohnwu/MagiskManager/releases

Boot into TWRP by using ADB:

adb reboot recovery

If that does not work, you'll have to force booting into TWRP with using the volume and power buttons. VOLUME UP and POWER until you see the HUAWEI logo.

To fix the Magisk issue. I have not found a solution to upgrade Magisk Manager to avoid the issue you describe. Please download and install Magisk Manager 5.6.4 and do not upgrade it. The .IMG file flash will show up as Magisk 16.3 (not sure if that is accurate) and it will give you root. It's just not apparent unless you run a program that needs root access. You can test with a Root Checker or an application such as Root Explorer (it simply requests root access immediately).

If all else fails, you can always intentionally bootloop your device, get into eRecovery, download the latest firmware, complete a full wipe, and start over. I did that after many different attempts to play with the device until I broke certain features. Just don't brick your phone :) I don't have any solutions for that!

FYI: I have root, but have decided not to re-install TWRP. There aren't many modules or ROMs to flash with TWRP yet. I also doubt that any custom ROM will be able to fully utilize the camera on this phone. It's a pretty outstanding piece of hardware.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

I can only assume that until the Magisk developer updates the software, p20 pro owners will not be able to upgrade Magisk Manager past 5.6.4. Am I correct with this assumption? Anytime I install a version later than 5.6.4, Magisk Manager will not stay open.

rukia06

Sep 5, 2009
Update:
In my Magisk logs, busy box isnt working/excist, so it cant unzip modules.
root works though.

anyone know why this might be?

thanks.
Can confirm using 5.7 magisk manager app wouldnt open.

Getting 5.6.4 worked.
https://github.com/topjohnwu/MagiskManager/releases

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 AM ----------

Update again:
i installed the unoffical TWRP and flashed magisk 16.4 and manager 5.7 over the top.
Everything apears to be working now

Update:
In my Magisk logs, busy box isnt working/excist, so it cant unzip modules.
root works though.

anyone know why this might be?

sacredsoul

Feb 17, 2007
Singapore
I installed on my P20 pro this patched ramdisk and installed magisk manager 5.6.4. The manager shows phone is rooted. However safetynet fails and I cant install any modules. I heard you have to reinstall magisk after installing magiskmanager. How do I do that? Also, do I need TWRP? I havent gotten it installed yet.

EDIT : Works now. Installed TWRP. Flashed Magisk 16.4 zip. Booted inside and using Magisk Manager 5.7.0. Safetynet passed and modules can be installed.

Last edited:

AndroidFann

Jan 25, 2010
I installed on my P20 pro this patched ramdisk and installed magisk manager 5.6.4. The manager shows phone is rooted. However safetynet fails and I cant install any modules. I heard you have to reinstall magisk after installing magiskmanager. How do I do that? Also, do I need TWRP? I havent gotten it installed yet.

EDIT : Works now. Installed TWRP. Flashed Magisk 16.4 zip. Booted inside and using Magisk Manager 5.7.0. Safetynet passed and modules can be installed.

Great to hear you got it working. I have TWRP but it is all encrypted. What TWRP did you end up installing?

Thanks!

abrahamjones

Dec 22, 2014
I've noticed more people having success with the unofficial TWRP than the official one. Probably because of decryption. Flashing through fastboot seems to be pretty effective though, so I'm not sure TWRP is absolutely required at the moment.

I am using the unofficial version but having trouble with decryption. I had to remove all PIN/Pattern/Password lock before I logged into TWRP. After that it worked fine but I had to enroll fingerprints and face data.

Cronium

Jan 1, 2016
Anyone else having a issue where if your bootloader is unlocked Google Pay will not show up as an option for "default NFC app" even with Magisk Hide enabled?

sarichter

Nov 4, 2011
Phoenix
I have root my 432 with twrp and magisk.zip file... Root is OK but some app (bank app) does not work by fingerprint... Maybe it depends on safety net?

I thought with Magisk Hide we could still pass Safety net and hence still use Google Pay?

That is correct. If you follow instructions on how to install Magisk and make sure you have 16.0 installed, Google Pay will work. The later versions are buggy and will sometimes trip SafetyNet.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Its the nature of unlocking bootloader and rooting. You cant use Google Pay as it was

You are correct in not being able to use it as it was... but you can still use it if you are Rooted and SafetyNet isn't tripped. Running Magisk 16.0 and Magisk Manager 5.6.3 seems to be working so far.

Cronium

Jan 1, 2016
I was on 16.0 and 5.6.4 and while google Pay installed and accepted cards, I couldn't set it was the default NFC app. It wasn't even in the list. As soon as I relocked my bootloader it worked fine. And yes I passed safety net.

sarichter

Nov 4, 2011
Phoenix
I was on 16.0 and 5.6.4 and while google Pay installed and accepted cards, I couldn't set it was the default NFC app. It wasn't even in the list. As soon as I relocked my bootloader it worked fine. And yes I passed safety net.
Weird... I have no issues with it being set and using Google Pay with unlocked bootloader, rooted, and running 5.6.3.

aaallleeennn

Nov 13, 2008
München
Can anyone explain how to flash Magisk over Magisk Manager app?? Ramdisk flashed and root obtained but can't install modules. I saw that magisk must be reflashed with magisk manager after ramdisk flashing but can't figure it out.

sarichter

Nov 4, 2011
Phoenix
I have only Uninstall option, there is not Install option in magisk manager

After you flash and reboot, install Magisk Manager 5.6.3 or 5.6.4. Then you need to get into Magisk Manager and install Magisk 16.0 (shown near the top of the menu). Do not upgrade to Magisk Manager 5.7 unless you have TWRP installed and can do this through the custom recovery.

I'm running Magisk 16.0 and Magisk Manager 5.6.3 with full functionality, SafetyNet, and Root.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    that doesnt work for me.

i flashed twrp but cant boot into twrp
    and when i flashed the clt l 29 magisk img and install magisk apk , the magisk manager opend and closed immediatly.

What can i do to succesful root ?

greetz

edit: i cant fix the problem , i flashed the the modifed boot img, and magisk manager opend it and closed immediately.

I can boot in twrp but I can't install magisk.zip because I see only crypted files.

any ideas ?

Boot into TWRP by using ADB:

adb reboot recovery

If that does not work, you'll have to force booting into TWRP with using the volume and power buttons. VOLUME UP and POWER until you see the HUAWEI logo.

To fix the Magisk issue. I have not found a solution to upgrade Magisk Manager to avoid the issue you describe. Please download and install Magisk Manager 5.6.4 and do not upgrade it. The .IMG file flash will show up as Magisk 16.3 (not sure if that is accurate) and it will give you root. It's just not apparent unless you run a program that needs root access. You can test with a Root Checker or an application such as Root Explorer (it simply requests root access immediately).

If all else fails, you can always intentionally bootloop your device, get into eRecovery, download the latest firmware, complete a full wipe, and start over. I did that after many different attempts to play with the device until I broke certain features. Just don't brick your phone :) I don't have any solutions for that!

FYI: I have root, but have decided not to re-install TWRP. There aren't many modules or ROMs to flash with TWRP yet. I also doubt that any custom ROM will be able to fully utilize the camera on this phone. It's a pretty outstanding piece of hardware.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

I can only assume that until the Magisk developer updates the software, p20 pro owners will not be able to upgrade Magisk Manager past 5.6.4. Am I correct with this assumption? Anytime I install a version later than 5.6.4, Magisk Manager will not stay open.
    Are you serious? You know it's Magisk right

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes I meant I tried the root checker Apps from Playstore, Titanium Backup root etc. to verify the Magisk .img was flashed properly and works but just doesn't
    it's work on which android version?

?? P20 Pro only shipped with 8.1 Oreo. So i guess there is no other version. :eek:
    Sorry, I'm new here and I'm no power user or nerd.
    I just wanna have root on my HUAWEI P20 PRO. It's a german version (Vodafone) and it has the latest firmware OTA installed: CLT-L09 8.1.0.120 (C432).
    Bootloader is unlocked yet - but I couldn't find a suitable stock firmware nor a guide for installing magisk on that firmware version.
    Should I try? Does anybody provide a patched firmware?

Thank you very much for any hints and support...

Greetings

we no longer need patched ramdisk. Just install twrp and magisk.zip and you are good :)
    I have root my 432 with twrp and magisk.zip file... Root is OK but some app (bank app) does not work by fingerprint... Maybe it depends on safety net?
    I have had five setups with this phone so far.:
    1. On 107 firmware, I was rooted with Magisk and SuperSU, no TWRP, and SafetyNet passed. All apps worked.
    2. On 107 firmware, I was rooted with Magisk and SuperSU, TWRP installed, and SafetyNet did not pass.
    3. On 120 firmware, I was not rooted, no TWRP, and SafetyNet did not pass.
    4. On 120 firmware, I was rooted with Magisk, TWRP installed, and SafetyNet did not pass.
    5. On 120 firmware, I was rooted with Magisk, no TWRP, and SafetyNet passed.

Right now I am humming away fine with no TWRP. Since the camera is fantastic and this phone operates easily under ADB, I don't think I will bother with TWRP or even custom ROMs. Hopefully this is helpful.