[Magisk] Root P20 Pro

• Thread starter LastStandingDroid
  • Start date
Search This thread

AaronAverage

Mar 10, 2013
Because of a certain app - Pokemon go. It won't work with 5.6.3 since later versions have modification specifically for this game (it's mentioned in the Magisk Manager 5.6.4 changelog). I'm not even cheating in this game or something but it doesn't work with a rooted phone after all and I don't want to unroot just because of this game.
I know it's my very own problem but I thought someone might have a clue.

Also, MagMan 5.6.3 also crashed for me just like 5.7.0 after a couple of times opening it. But I haven't investigated further on this version, just tried it shortly. Maybe it would've been a simple fix.

Maybe 5.6.4 + 16.0 will work fine. Haven't tried that combination yet. I'll try that if I find time.

sarichter

Nov 4, 2011
Phoenix
Because of a certain app - Pokemon go. It won't work with 5.6.3 since later versions have modification specifically for this game (it's mentioned in the Magisk Manager 5.6.4 changelog). I'm not even cheating in this game or something but it doesn't work with a rooted phone after all and I don't want to unroot just because of this game.
I know it's my very own problem but I thought someone might have a clue.

Also, MagMan 5.6.3 also crashed for me just like 5.7.0 after a couple of times opening it. But I haven't investigated further on this version, just tried it shortly. Maybe it would've been a simple fix.

Maybe 5.6.4 + 16.0 will work fine. Haven't tried that combination yet. I'll try that if I find time.

That combo does work.

Reactions: AaronAverage

Kimas90

Jul 16, 2018
hey.

i flashed sucessfully TWRP on my P20 Pro. via USB MTP i copied the Magisk zip to the root of my phone.
ES Explorer show me that file in storage/emulated/0...
but i cannot find that file in TWRP.... in storage there are folders with random numbers/letters...

where can i move this zip so i can find it in TWRP to flash?

happyhammer66

May 26, 2016
hey.

i flashed sucessfully TWRP on my P20 Pro. via USB MTP i copied the Magisk zip to the root of my phone.
ES Explorer show me that file in storage/emulated/0...
but i cannot find that file in TWRP.... in storage there are folders with random numbers/letters...

where can i move this zip so i can find it in TWRP to flash?
MaKe sure no security is set. Turn off screen lock in developer options, this will deletebpin faceid id etc

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Saipion

Jul 17, 2018
I've just read through the whole thread but still unsure what way to go. I've just got my bootloader unlock code today but haven't unlocked my bootloader yet.

What's better/safer/easier? Flash ramdisk or twrp.
Pros and cons of each?

Sorry this is my first android for years. Just want to be sure before I start doing things to it.

I've got CLT-L09 (782)

Thanks

daviddahan09

May 12, 2013
Montreal
Just to confirm:

I've just flashed CLT-L29-MAGISK.img on my CTL-L29 build 8.1.0.131 (C432)
This image contains Magisk v16.3
I had Magisk Manager V5.8.1 who crashed everytime I stated it.
Went to system settings- Apps - and uninstalled Magisk Manager .
Installed Magisk Manager v5.6.4 and all is working OK (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases )

Hopes it helps somebody :)

This helped me!
Currently on CLT-04 (Canadian Rogers version) running build 8.1.0.109 (C792), which is the latest available to me as of yet.
Bootloader unlocked, unofficial TWRP flashed and working with disabled screen-lock. Previously working Magisk.
I was running into the same issue as you, whereby the latest version of the Manager app was crashing, but I took your advice and went back to v5.6.4 (didn't have to flash anything, just uninstalled and reinstalled) and now everything is good! Thanks so much!!

I really like this phone, now that I have installed Nova and rooted it. Felt too much like an iPhone before lol!
Have a nice day :)

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

I've just read through the whole thread but still unsure what way to go. I've just got my bootloader unlock code today but haven't unlocked my bootloader yet.

What's better/safer/easier? Flash ramdisk or twrp.
Pros and cons of each?

Sorry this is my first android for years. Just want to be sure before I start doing things to it.

I've got CLT-L09 (782)

Thanks

I can't speak for the safeness of either method, but it is definitely much simpler to do the following (at least to me);
Unlock bootloader, flash TWRP, boot to TWRP, take a backup (if you don't you will have to wait awhile until the e-recovery can download an image of EMUI and bail you out. Plus you can only do it on WiFi), flash Magisk, boot to system and enjoy.

That's pretty much the standard procedure for installing a custom recovery / rooting your android device.

Hope it helps and have a nice day :)

Jan 15, 2017
Quick question chiefs: I have unlocked my bootloader and, yeah, the phone was wiped clean. I did restore my old apps/settings, though. Will installing TWRP and rooting wipe the phone clean again?

(if yes, then stupid me. I should have installed TWRP and rooted as well in one go last night..)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    that doesnt work for me.

i flashed twrp but cant boot into twrp
    and when i flashed the clt l 29 magisk img and install magisk apk , the magisk manager opend and closed immediatly.

What can i do to succesful root ?

greetz

edit: i cant fix the problem , i flashed the the modifed boot img, and magisk manager opend it and closed immediately.

I can boot in twrp but I can't install magisk.zip because I see only crypted files.

any ideas ?

Boot into TWRP by using ADB:

adb reboot recovery

If that does not work, you'll have to force booting into TWRP with using the volume and power buttons. VOLUME UP and POWER until you see the HUAWEI logo.

To fix the Magisk issue. I have not found a solution to upgrade Magisk Manager to avoid the issue you describe. Please download and install Magisk Manager 5.6.4 and do not upgrade it. The .IMG file flash will show up as Magisk 16.3 (not sure if that is accurate) and it will give you root. It's just not apparent unless you run a program that needs root access. You can test with a Root Checker or an application such as Root Explorer (it simply requests root access immediately).

If all else fails, you can always intentionally bootloop your device, get into eRecovery, download the latest firmware, complete a full wipe, and start over. I did that after many different attempts to play with the device until I broke certain features. Just don't brick your phone :) I don't have any solutions for that!

FYI: I have root, but have decided not to re-install TWRP. There aren't many modules or ROMs to flash with TWRP yet. I also doubt that any custom ROM will be able to fully utilize the camera on this phone. It's a pretty outstanding piece of hardware.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

I can only assume that until the Magisk developer updates the software, p20 pro owners will not be able to upgrade Magisk Manager past 5.6.4. Am I correct with this assumption? Anytime I install a version later than 5.6.4, Magisk Manager will not stay open.
    Are you serious? You know it's Magisk right

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes I meant I tried the root checker Apps from Playstore, Titanium Backup root etc. to verify the Magisk .img was flashed properly and works but just doesn't
    it's work on which android version?

?? P20 Pro only shipped with 8.1 Oreo. So i guess there is no other version. :eek:
    Sorry, I'm new here and I'm no power user or nerd.
    I just wanna have root on my HUAWEI P20 PRO. It's a german version (Vodafone) and it has the latest firmware OTA installed: CLT-L09 8.1.0.120 (C432).
    Bootloader is unlocked yet - but I couldn't find a suitable stock firmware nor a guide for installing magisk on that firmware version.
    Should I try? Does anybody provide a patched firmware?

Thank you very much for any hints and support...

Greetings

we no longer need patched ramdisk. Just install twrp and magisk.zip and you are good :)
    I have root my 432 with twrp and magisk.zip file... Root is OK but some app (bank app) does not work by fingerprint... Maybe it depends on safety net?
    I have had five setups with this phone so far.:
    1. On 107 firmware, I was rooted with Magisk and SuperSU, no TWRP, and SafetyNet passed. All apps worked.
    2. On 107 firmware, I was rooted with Magisk and SuperSU, TWRP installed, and SafetyNet did not pass.
    3. On 120 firmware, I was not rooted, no TWRP, and SafetyNet did not pass.
    4. On 120 firmware, I was rooted with Magisk, TWRP installed, and SafetyNet did not pass.
    5. On 120 firmware, I was rooted with Magisk, no TWRP, and SafetyNet passed.

Right now I am humming away fine with no TWRP. Since the camera is fantastic and this phone operates easily under ADB, I don't think I will bother with TWRP or even custom ROMs. Hopefully this is helpful.