Magisk Root without TWRP for OnePlus 6 Oxygen OS Android 10 Open Beta 5 | OOS 10.3.1

Search This thread

Sharlimar

Apr 14, 2016
I've use this method on OOS 10 beta 4 and installed Magisk only...
Do I have to do anything before update to beta 5? Will I lose root?
Thank you!

odnd

Jan 10, 2019
Thank you!
I tried to update but got stuck in a bootloop (because the boot img didn't got patched successfully by magisk) did not lose any data, but lost root tho
Would recommend to wait for the prepatched img so you can be sure it works

blitzkid

Jan 16, 2010
same here

I tried to update but got stuck in a bootloop (because the boot img didn't got patched successfully by magisk) did not lose any data, but lost root tho
Would recommend to wait for the prepatched img so you can be sure it works

had same trouble. i dont get the latest beta rooted. not with patch to inactive slot, not with twrp package... alwas stuck in bootloop then.

zeppelinmad4

Feb 10, 2010
Jacksonville Beach, Fl
Went back a handful of pages and did a quick search but couldn't find anything so please excuse me if this has been discussed. I am on the latest magisk manager and beta 5. I have been able to patch the beta 5 boot.img, flash it, and reboot my phone perfectly fine. I go to manager and it says magisk is installed and I have root. I reboot the phone, go to magisk manager, and it says magisk isn't installed. I cannot figure out why it isn't sticking through a reboot.

odnd

Jan 10, 2019
How

Went back a handful of pages and did a quick search but couldn't find anything so please excuse me if this has been discussed. I am on the latest magisk manager and beta 5. I have been able to patch the beta 5 boot.img, flash it, and reboot my phone perfectly fine. I go to manager and it says magisk is installed and I have root. I reboot the phone, go to magisk manager, and it says magisk isn't installed. I cannot figure out why it isn't sticking through a reboot.

[deleted]

Last edited:

oTeMpLo

Mar 30, 2012
Maribor
Just install magisk in second slot prior to reboot after install. next time... And magisk will survive update..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

odnd

Jan 10, 2019
Solution

Thank you!
A friend of mine had the simple, but genius idea to flash magisk canary and it worked.
Uninstaller https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/blob/canary/magisk-uninstaller.zip
Canary installer https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/blob/canary/magisk-release.zip
Boot into twrp flash the uninstaller and follow with the canary installer. Then reboot into system and voila.
Hope i could help.

Reactions: toyanucci

Sharlimar

Apr 14, 2016
Thank you odnd but already did the update
By the method of:
1. Install OTA update (Don't reboot).
2. Open Magisk Manager, UNISTALL all modules, install Magisk and choose "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)" (Now reboot).
3. Reinstall modules from scratch

toyanucci

May 28, 2010
OnePlus 9

Presto99

Sep 27, 2015
Thanks a bunch!! (Does TWRP work now, or is this only way to get root?) I'm on 10.3.2 and want root for magisk/stereo speaker mod and swift black theme for apps like Hangouts and Google Play Music. Any idea if you'll make a patched boot img for 1.3.2 as well? (I wish I knew how to make it myself!)

Last edited:

Razor98566

Jun 17, 2018
Hello there,

I'm getting a nasty bootloop when trying to boot with the patched img, same goes for when I try to install magisk through twrp. Does anyone know a solution? ^^

TheGamerKaran

Oct 23, 2016
i am Having the issue of massive battery drain after flashing the patched img. I had this issue since open beta 4 and it still persists in open beta 5. When i flash the stock img the battery works good. I need a solution. Anyone?

Static-xy

Jun 6, 2014
Serious question, why not use twrp and do the update from twrp. To me this method is simpler. Not sure if the reason to do different methods are modules that can cause issues. I only have google framework for google phone. When I do update via twrp I don't have to go enable module and install phone app again.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone