Question Magisk support for Nord CE2

Search This thread

Avi69420Ezio

Feb 3, 2022
I was able to root android 12. I rolled back to android 11 (rolling back to android 11 formats all data) and installed TWRP using https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/unofficial-twrp-3-6-2_11-0-oneplus-nord-ce-2-5g.4490091/. After that I downloaded full OTA zip for android 12 using Oxygen Updater app. modified the OTA zip with patched boot.img. I also had to modify updater-script file and put device id as IV2201. then flashed the modified OTA zip. After that magisk is working properly. but TWRP's touch screen became unresponsive. but adb commands are working fine in TWRP.
can you access the bootloader on android 12 with twrp?

Mwadime143m

I was able to root android 12. I rolled back to android 11 (rolling back to android 11 formats all data) and installed TWRP using https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/unofficial-twrp-3-6-2_11-0-oneplus-nord-ce-2-5g.4490091/. After that I downloaded full OTA zip for android 12 using Oxygen Updater app. modified the OTA zip with patched boot.img. I also had to modify updater-script file and put device id as IV2201. then flashed the modified OTA zip. After that magisk is working properly. but TWRP's touch screen became unresponsive. but adb commands are working fine in TWRP.
make a post with this, share your uploaded file links too.

Bebo541

Apr 5, 2021
Lenovo ZUK Z2 (Plus)
make a post with this, share your uploaded file links too.
Original OTA update link: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/package/5f039aec904675438b218282888caabcef0dddd2.zip

Not sure where can I upload modified OTA file. It's size is above 4 gb.

While modifying the ota you could have also replaced the recovery with twrp maybe this would have helped
The OTA zip did not have a recovery.img file. Even if it did I will be adding same TWRP file, for which touch is not working.

I think we can root using https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...g-boot-image-and-making-your-backups.4499447/. In here while restoring boot image we can restore magisk patched version and patched vbmeta. I have not tested this but if it works it be better than modified OTA method as you won't have non working recovery partition

Reactions: Mwadime143m

burningcreation

Jun 14, 2014
Melbourne
OnePlus Nord CE 2

How did you manage to rollback? Mine gets to 16% and reboots back to Android 12.

Toothless_NEO

Aug 24, 2017
Has OnePlus acknowledged this bootloader problem at all because this is highly unacceptable for them considering they try to be an enthusiast friendly OEM.

ko_hi

Mar 25, 2020
Please do not tell how to root A12 for the sake of the phone!

Why!?

As we all know, magisk is very buggy on A11 (hence, even if you succeed to boot it, any modification can break the phones boot procedure) so it will be stuck on boot animation.

But i have enabled USB debugging?! Won't that help me?

Answer is simple: NO
the adb access seems to be *revoked* or as system never boots up properly. It will not allow adb commands to be run due to unauthorized device!

But that's okay right!?
NO. if you get to this point, the only hope you have, is to let the phone try to boot. This will fail so it will reboot and try again. This will happen 3 times. Then it should go to recovery! And that will take approx 20-30 minutes! *Sounds fun right?*

Then when were in recovery. Touch is broken so you must use a PC to restore the device. And if you have none nearby. Well YAY you're out of luck for the moment.

But if i have a PC nearby?
Well loose all your files and start over again. But don't be mad if it will happen suddenly again after some time 😴

But can't this be prevented!!!?
Sure, if my assumption is correct.

Rootguard in kernel is causing the phone to not boot if using root access. (This isn't fully proven by me though) still in testing phase. But what I've found in kernel source is that they do try to kill root access? And this cause the device not to boot? (Haven't been able to log it either since i haven't had insecure me adb)

Can't really tell fully since It was some weeks ago i browsed the code.

But with this said,. For the sake of your phone. Don't root A12

Reactions: burningcreation

Bebo541

Apr 5, 2021
Lenovo ZUK Z2 (Plus)
Hello, by any chance have a link to the c.08 or c.09 version? Where'd you get the link to the OTA package?
I got the link from Oxygen Updater app(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arjanvlek.oxygenupdater&hl=en_IN&gl=US). app just downloads ota file and doesn't give the download link. After I got root I extracted download link from app's data.

I have been using root for about 2 months, never got into bootloop or lost files. I was stuck in recovery twice (was trying remove TWRP by flashing OTA). both the times I had to wait till battery drained but didn't lose any data. I might have been just lucky but didn't face any issues like losing data or getting stuck at boot animation.
Could the issue be because of vbmeta?

My main issue is unresponsive TWRP and not able to flash OTA updates. So I am currently worried on how can I update to android 13.

ko_hi

Mar 25, 2020
I got the link from Oxygen Updater app(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arjanvlek.oxygenupdater&hl=en_IN&gl=US). app just downloads ota file and doesn't give the download link. After I got root I extracted download link from app's data.

I have been using root for about 2 months, never got into bootloop or lost files. I was stuck in recovery twice (was trying remove TWRP by flashing OTA). both the times I had to wait till battery drained but didn't lose any data. I might have been just lucky but didn't face any issues like losing data or getting stuck at boot animation.
Could the issue be because of vbmeta?

My main issue is unresponsive TWRP and not able to flash OTA updates. So I am currently worried on how can I update to android 13.
It looks like kernel is the culprit for it but i ain't sure,

Some users don't get stuck some do. It seems it highly depends on how you modify the phone? I'm not sure myself why it happens.

Bebo541

Apr 5, 2021
Lenovo ZUK Z2 (Plus)
We can root using another method

Before going further read @ko_hi's disclaimer here.

Why!?

As we all know, magisk is very buggy on A11 (hence, even if you succeed to boot it, any modification can break the phones boot procedure) so it will be stuck on boot animation.

the adb access seems to be *revoked* or as system never boots up properly. It will not allow adb commands to be run due to unauthorized device!

But that's okay right!?
NO. if you get to this point, the only hope you have, is to let the phone try to boot. This will fail so it will reboot and try again. This will happen 3 times. Then it should go to recovery! And that will take approx 20-30 minutes! *Sounds fun right?*

Then when were in recovery. Touch is broken so you must use a PC to restore the device. And if you have none nearby. Well YAY you're out of luck for the moment.

Well loose all your files and start over again. But don't be mad if it will happen suddenly again after some time 😴

Rootguard in kernel is causing the phone to not boot if using root access. (This isn't fully proven by me though) still in testing phase. But what I've found in kernel source is that they do try to kill root access? And this cause the device not to boot? (Haven't been able to log it either since i haven't had insecure me adb)

It can brick your device.

Here are the instructions I followed
  • Download and install DSU sideloader app from https://github.com/VegaBobo/DSU-Sideloader/releases
  • Download Lineage OS rooted GSI from https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-19.x/. I have downloaded the GSI with name lineage-19.1-20230112-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS.img.xz
  • Go to DSU sideloader app and install the downloaded GSI. It will show some adb commands which you need to run using adb
  • Once installation is complete you will get a notification to boot to GSI. use that and boot into lineage OS
  • Once initial setup is completed in lineage os, enable usb debugging and run 'adb shell'
  • in the adb shell run 'su'
  • then run 'dd if=/dev/block/sdc49 of=/sdcard/boot.img; sync'
    • Now you should have boot.img file in your phone
  • Install magisk and patch the boot.img
  • then run 'dd if=/sdcard/<patched boot file> of=/dev/block/sdc49; sync'
  • Once it is complete reboot
  • Now it should be rooted
  • You can discard the GSI boot from the notification, which will delete all the data of lineageOS
On the side note, you can try out custom roms using DSU sideloader. you can have look at list of GSIs available at https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Generic-System-Image-(GSI)-list.
The GSI roms have few bugs like on screen fingerprint does not work

Reactions: ko_hi

ko_hi

Mar 25, 2020

• Download and install DSU sideloader app from https://github.com/VegaBobo/DSU-Sideloader/releases
  • Download Lineage OS rooted GSI from https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-19.x/. I have downloaded the GSI with name lineage-19.1-20230112-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS.img.xz
  • Go to DSU sideloader app and install the downloaded GSI. It will show some adb commands which you need to run using adb
  • Once installation is complete you will get a notification to boot to GSI. use that and boot into lineage OS
  • Once initial setup is completed in lineage os, enable usb debugging and run 'adb shell'
  • You can discard the GSI boot from the notification, which will delete all the data of lineageOS
On the side note, you can try out custom roms using DSU sideloader. you can have look at list of GSIs available at https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Generic-System-Image-(GSI)-list.
Wait are you telling you can root the device if you're bootloader unlocked trough dsu? That's quite interesting

Or it requires a rooted device?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Why!?

But that's okay right!?

I have successfully rooted my phone with Magisk on the A.12 update. Bluetooth/wifi are working. I was able to acquire the firmware files, and was able to extract the boot.img. Please note that my phone is the Indian Variant.

Screenshot_2022-06-22-10-31-37-42_144d3b563413d7d0300db22090f32a96.jpgScreenshot_2022-06-22-10-30-59-40_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
    Can ou share the Boot.img?
    Also, are you able to upgrade to A.12?
    A11 boot image attached. I am able to see the A12 update, but have not tried yet.
    While the device is the cheapest offering from OnePlus, it's quite difficult to root it still..

* I somehow unlocked the bootloader after downloading dimensity drivers and using fastboot.
    * The immediate next step was to extract boot.img from stock rom using payload dumper.. easy enough right? Apparently not!!.. There is no stock rom available on the OnePlus site for this device and it doesn't even support local upgrades..

There's no TWRP, Orangefox or any other recovery to install magisk as of yet.. I wonder what's wrong with the device and why one has to try so hard to root a simple phone..

If you're reading this and know a way to root, please help out..
    Say

Says it's open beta based on android 12 unless I missed something
    There's a rollback file (if you want to stop using android 12) that contains the A.13 boot.img
    Here's my patched boot.img for A13. India.
    Magisk works.