How To Guide [Magisk][US/CAN BL Unlock] Root for Galaxy S21 Series (B/N/0/U/U1/W)

Search This thread

afaneh92

Account currently disabled
Jul 31, 2012
US/Canada devices has no oem unlock toggle!
Unlock service here

How to get OEM Unlock option back for Non US/Canada device?
1. Open the Settings app. Tap on General Management → Date and time.
2. Use the toggle button to disable Automatic date and time.
3. Set date option will be enabled now. Tap on it, and set the date to about 10-20 days earlier.
4. Enable developer options.
4.a Go to your device Settings.
4.b Select ‘About phone’ » tap seven times on ‘Build number’.
└ This will enable Developer options under Settings.
4.c Go back to Settings » scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see Developer options menu.
5. Open developer options (in the Settings app itself), and find the option called ‘Auto update system‘. Use the toggle button to disable it.
6. Now, go back to the main screen of Setting, and then tap on Software update.
7. Disable the option ‘Download updates automatically‘.
8. Tap on ‘Download updates manually‘ option, but it will give you an error because of the wrong date, so it’s fine.
9. Restart the device.
10. Go to Settings > Developer options. The OEM unlock option should be enabled now.

Reactions: korsnick

GrandMstrBud

Jan 30, 2007
Google Pixel 6
Lol transform the phone in paperweight when you are trying the root? This is impossible! ( is not the same thing like 10 years ago.) The worst things can be happening is a soft brick in boot loop and is easy fixable , only need the reflash the full rom ( including the firmware)..

The B-N-O applies to Exynos variants of the S21 Ultra. ≤--------- Not exactly true, the 0 variant ( SM-G9980 ) is a snapdragon 888 and the bootloader is perfectly unlockable and working with this method.
I'm a little confused I ordered the I locked version direct from Samsung so will this be the SM-G9980? I really want to be able to root it when I get it if not well it may go back to Samsung.

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
I'm a little confused I ordered the I locked version direct from Samsung so will this be the SM-G9980? I really want to be able to root it when I get it if not well it may go back to Samsung.
It just depends on where you live. If you live in North America, you'll pretty much end up with a Snapdragon phone no matter what (and therefore, you won't be able to unlock your bootloader for free or permanently). But if you living anywhere else, then you get an Exynos version of the phone (or an unlockable Snapdragon phone) which you will be able to unlock the bootloader for free and permanently on.

But either way, you'll need to unlock your bootloader in order to root your phone.

GrandMstrBud

Jan 30, 2007
Google Pixel 6
It just depends on where you live. If you live in North America, you'll pretty much end up with a Snapdragon phone no matter what (and therefore, you won't be able to unlock your bootloader for free or permanently). But if you living anywhere else, then you get an Exynos version of the phone (or an unlockable Snapdragon phone) which you will be able to unlock the bootloader for free and permanently on.

But either way, you'll need to unlock your bootloader in order to root your phone.
I know this but this thread said US and Canada and

I know this but it says US and Canada and the U1 model which is the US unlocked model I believe.

GrandMstrBud

Jan 30, 2007
Google Pixel 6
Unlock service here

3. Set date option will be enabled now. Tap on it, and set the date to about 10-20 days earlier.
4.c Go back to Settings » scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see Developer options menu.
5. Open developer options (in the Settings app itself), and find the option called ‘Auto update system‘. Use the toggle button to disable it.
8. Tap on ‘Download updates manually‘ option, but it will give you an error because of the wrong date, so it’s fine.
9. Restart the device.
10. Go to Settings > Developer options. The OEM unlock option should be enabled now.
Sorry but doesn't work on my S21+. The model I have is the SM-G996U1

babyboy3265

Sep 20, 2012
Jupiter
I don't really understand your post as if you want to use Magisk modules you have to install Magisk which automatically root your device and thus trigger Knox... or I missed something...

The other and main reasons to install Magisk is to install AFWall+ and Xprivacy-Lua through EdXposed and EdXposed Manager if you want a better protection on your data leaks with all common and system apps... ^^

Adblocking is also another justification to root your device plus many other possibilities I can't describe as there are so many...
Totally agree with you! AFWall is a life saver!! I had not heard of Xprivacy until i read your post! One more big reason for root indeed! Now I just have to figure how to use the xprivacy app with its hooks and restrictions.. Those seem hard to understand from the descriptions in the official page :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: this guide copied from topjohnwu's. Original guide here

US/Canada bootloader unlock thread:
    here

Before Installing Magisk
    • Installing Magisk WILL trip KNOX
    • Unlocking bootloader for the first time will do a data wipe.
    Installation

If you already have Magisk installed, it is strongly recommended to upgrade directly via Magisk Manager using the “Direct Install” method. The following tutorial is only for initial installation.

Getting Started

Before you start:
    • This tutorial assumes you understand how to use adb and fastboot
    • If you plan to also install custom kernels, install it after Magisk
    • Your device’s bootloader has to be unlocked

Download and install the latest Magisk app. In the home screen, you should see:

device_info.png

The result of Ramdisk determines whether your device has ramdisk in the boot partition.

Unlocking Bootloader

Unlocking BL on modern Samsung devices have some caveats, so I figure this would be helpful.
    • Allow bootloader unlocking in Developer options → OEM unlocking
    • Reboot to download mode: power off your device and press the download mode key combo for your device (Vol Down + Vol Up) while connected to usb.
    • Long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot.

If you think the bootloader is fully unlocked, it is actually not! Samsung introduced VaultKeeper, meaning the bootloader will still reject any unofficial partitions before VaultKeeper explicitly allows it.
    • Go through the initial setup. Skip through all the steps since data will be wiped again later when we are installing Magisk. Connect the device to Internet during the setup.
    • Enable developer options, and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and is grayed out. This means the VaultKeeper service has unleashed the bootloader.
    • Your bootloader now accepts unofficial images in download mode.

Patching Boot Image

If your device has boot ramdisk, you need a copy of the boot.img

Instructions
    • Use either Frija or Samloader to download the latest firmware zip of your device directly from Samsung servers.
    • Unzip the boot.img from AP and copy the file to your device.
    • Press the Install button in the Magisk card
    • Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the stock boot image
    • Magisk Manager will patch the image to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.img.
    • Copy the patched image to your PC
    • Flash the patched boot image to your device.
      For most devices, reboot into fastboot mode and flash with command:
      fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img or
      Rename magisk_patched.img to boot.img and use 7zip to make flashable tar of your boot.img
      Reboot to download mode. Open Odin on your PC, and flash boot_patched.tar as AP.
    • Reboot and voila!

Patching AP

Instructions
    • Use either Frija or Samloader to download the latest firmware zip of your device directly from Samsung servers.
    • Unzip the firmware and copy the AP tar file to your device. It is normally named as AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5
    • Press the Install button in the Magisk card
    • Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the AP tar file
    • Magisk Manager will patch the whole firmware file to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.tar
    • Start the installation, and copy the patched tar file to your PC using ADB:
      adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched_[random_strings].tar
      DO NOT USE MTP as it is known to corrupt large files.
    • Reboot to download mode. Open Odin on your PC, and flash magisk_patched.tar as AP, together with BL, CP, and CSC (NOT HOME_CSC because we want to wipe data) from the original firmware.
    • Your device should reboot automatically once Odin finished flashing. Agree to do a factory reset if asked.
    • Install the Magisk app you’ve already downloaded and launch the app. It should show a dialog asking for additional setup.
    • Let the app do its job and automatically reboot the device. Voila!

Custom Recovery​

Installing using custom recoveries such as TWRP is only possible if your device has boot ramdisk.

Instructions
    • Download the Magisk APK
    • Rename the .apk file extension to .zip, for example: Magisk-v2*.*.apk → Magisk-v2*.*.zip. If you have trouble renaming the file extension (like on Windows), use a file manager on Android or the one included in TWRP to rename the file.
    • Flash the zip just like any other ordinary flashable zip.
    • Reboot and check whether the Magisk app is installed. If it isn’t installed automatically, manually install the APK.

Thanks
    @topjohnwu for magisk and guide, If you appreciate his effort, show some love and support :)

Donations
    https://www.patreon.com/topjohnwu
    https://www.paypal.me/topjohnwu
    Unlock service here

9. Restart the device.
    The latest Magisk Canary release (21409) contains the fix needed for the S21 devices, yes (but being a Canary release there are of course other bugs).

But, @afaneh92, since you're just copying @topjohnwu's installation instructions exactly, word for word, wouldn't it just have been easier to link to those instructions and let people know that Magisk Canary releases now can root the S21 Ultra (and maybe also warn people that the Canaries can be buggy)?
    Thanks, but that doesn't apply to the S21 :coffee:
    Use latest magisk canary, I have rooted my S21 Ultra.
    I assume this will trip Knox right?
    Read the very first bullet, lol