Magisk v22.0 update confusion

Search This thread

ineedroot69

Nov 13, 2019
So i was minding my own business then i notice "Magisk Manager" have red dot notification on it's icon upon opening there's update for "Magisk Manager" app and "Magisk" itself... so i decided to first Install the "Magisk Manager" update and it went real smooth
but when i try to update Magisk itsaid "Magisk Manager is Dead. Love live the Magisk app" then it ask me for Method
"Select and Patch file" or "Direct Install" now at this point idk what to do. I have at least done 3x Magisk update installation already it never ask me this option also when i try download root checker on playstore itsaid im rooted i just want to update Magisk should i patch my stock boot.img again or what?? :unsure:

Reactions: sprocketoctopus

scarmage

Nov 30, 2014
For me this has been the case all this time for Magisk updates - I get that choice, and I choose 'direct install'. This time also I chose the same - 'direct install'. It got installed and prompted me to reboot.

ineedroot69

Nov 13, 2019
You can try going to the Magisk GitHub and download the app and install it through file manager and try updating again. I did that accidentally and had no issues installing.
I have the app already but after they decided to merge Magisk Manager and Magisk in just one apps i can't update Magisk anymore also i have stock boot.img of my device that i have previously patched via Magisk so it's just unusual for Magisk Manager to ask me again ...

dl200010

Aug 8, 2011
mc.thekitsunesden.com
I have the app already but after they decided to merge Magisk Manager and Magisk in just one apps i can't update Magisk anymore also i have stock boot.img of my device that i have previously patched via Magisk so it's just unusual for Magisk Manager to ask me again ...
I downloaded the apk from GitHub and installed it over the updated one. I was able to do a direct update. I was just suggesting it. Couldn't hurt to try it.

PrussianWolf

Aug 2, 2020
I downloaded the apk from GitHub and installed it over the updated one. I was able to do a direct update. I was just suggesting it. Couldn't hurt to try it.

Same here. Worked on Xiaomi Note 10 Pro (Tucana) with Android 10.

Did not work on Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite 5G (Monet) with Android 11. (The phone booted into fastboot-mode, so I had to extract the original boot.img from an original ROM and flashed it via fastboot-command to get the phone back booting to system).

Reactions: okchinmaya

Oliie23

Feb 4, 2011

Did not work on Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite 5G (Monet) with Android 11. (The phone booted into fastboot-mode, so I had to extract the original boot.img from an original ROM and flashed it via fastboot-command to get the phone back booting to system).
Can you tell more? How did you extract the boot.img? Did you get it from the newest Android full OTA? DId it just straight up work after flashing the new boot.img? I'm asumming it was an unpatched one, right?

okchinmaya

Nov 25, 2018
Dehradun

How do I flash a ROM from bootloader? I am on Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (mido) and have the same issue. Device won't boot into anything except fastboot. I tried flashing recovery using fastboot flash recovery <reccovery>.img but it got stuck in bootloop again.

Cygnust

Jul 22, 2008
Paris
Why?
I'm so confused.
I'm on Lineageos 17 on Oneplus 6
I used to install magisk with the zip and it went smoothly now I don't have the option anymore..
How can you do when you use OTA update?

Feb 11, 2016
Didgeridoohan;

I understand that the 'Manager' now has become the 'App'. I also understand to just rename the '.apk' file to '.zip' to flash from an OTA update event. I also understand that the '.apk' now with this latest release has everything you need to install Magisk.

I have had Magisk already installed like this: https://ibb.co/gvPzDs7

So, after I updated, can I ask what do I do about the problem of 'update' indicating via the Magisk Home page on the App?

I mean now I have this: https://ibb.co/HXLCvLS

Just don't worry about it?

Thank-you for your help.

Didgeridoohan

Forum Moderator / Developer Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Didgeridoohan;

I understand that the 'Manager' now has become the 'App'. I also understand to just rename the '.apk' file to '.zip' to flash from an OTA update event. I also understand that the '.apk' now with this latest release has everything you need to install Magisk.

I have had Magisk already installed like this: https://ibb.co/gvPzDs7

So, after I updated, can I ask what do I do about the problem of 'update' indicating via the Magisk Home page on the App?

I mean now I have this: https://ibb.co/HXLCvLS

Just don't worry about it?

Thank-you for your help.

Magisk still consists of two parts, Magisk app and Magisk internals, they're now just distributed together.

What your screenshot shows is that you've now updated the app, but not yet the internals...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is what my Magisk Manager look like before i update it to v22.0

https://ibb.co/gvPzDs7

Now after i update it to Magisk Manager V22.0 i can't update Magisk

https://ibb.co/HXLCvLS
    where is the "Download zip only" option ?

There isn't one, because there is no separate zip anymore:
    https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/releases/22000.html
    So i was minding my own business then i notice "Magisk Manager" have red dot notification on it's icon upon opening there's update for "Magisk Manager" app and "Magisk" itself... so i decided to first Install the "Magisk Manager" update and it went real smooth
    but when i try to update Magisk itsaid "Magisk Manager is Dead. Love live the Magisk app" then it ask me for Method
    "Select and Patch file" or "Direct Install" now at this point idk what to do. I have at least done 3x Magisk update installation already it never ask me this option also when i try download root checker on playstore itsaid im rooted i just want to update Magisk should i patch my stock boot.img again or what?? :unsure:
    For me this has been the case all this time for Magisk updates - I get that choice, and I choose 'direct install'. This time also I chose the same - 'direct install'. It got installed and prompted me to reboot.
    clicking Direct Install doesn't do anything :oops:

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone