Question Magnetic USB-C chargers do not work! Triggers moisture sensor block.

Search This thread

Sokudoningyou

Jan 20, 2011
Milwaukee suburbia
I have the magnetic cable from Volta and have no issues what so ever. have had it plugged since the day i got the phone. using the 60w cables.

Same. Had them since my Note 8, have the newest version now in my 10+ (still, only mentioning it since someone else mentioned that model, and my Ultra is on backorder), and I'm on the most recent firmware. Never had a single one of these alerts in the two years I've had them on my current phone, or the last one. It really might be the brands.

Same. Had them since my Note 8, have the newest version now in my 10+ (still, only mentioning it since someone else mentioned that model, and my Ultra is on backorder), and I'm on the most recent firmware. Never had a single one of these alerts in the two years I've had them on my current phone, or the last one. It really might be the brands.
I know the 10+ didn't have the sensor. Not sure if it was added in the 20 series or 21 series though...

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I know the 10+ didn't have the sensor. Not sure if it was added in the 20 series or 21 series though...
Yeah sure does (N975U) and it's fairly sensitive to moisture. One wayward raindrop can stop you from charging (tested)🤣

Be warned the spen/display don't like magnets in close proximity. The C port will easily last many hundreds/thousands of cycles. It not that hard to replace.
Remember you shouldn't be charging with the screen on...

Markeee

Sep 29, 2012
South Florida
Yeah sure does (N975U) and it's fairly sensitive to moisture. One wayward raindrop can stop you from charging (tested)🤣

Be warned the spen/display don't like magnets in close proximity. The C port will easily last many hundreds/thousands of cycles. It not that hard to replace.
Remember you shouldn't be charging with the screen on...
What's wrong with charging with the screen on ?
Sometimes when I'm traveling trying to find a place with navigation on i like charging it and leaving the screen on

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Sometimes when I'm traveling trying to find a place with navigation on i like charging it and leaving the screen on
It skews the charging curve. It may charge slow or not at all. With a 5000 mAh battery you should have at least 8 hours SOT!
It's hard on the battery especially in high ambient temperatures or direct sunlight.
For navigation a dedicated GPS is more effective... and less hassle if the heat burns it up.

I'll add to that by saying I nearly burned up my N10+ like that. It definitely took some battery capacity. It can really tip them over the edge fast. The high temperature shutdown may not kick in fast enough to prevent damage. Direct sunlight is a real killer as much of the heat is dissipated through the display.

Last edited:

JDubbed

Feb 18, 2011
I was able to go as far as 4 days before the message popped up again. Some times it'll happen same day. Other times it'll last several days. It's hard to tell what exactly is triggering it but it's definitely inconsistant. I'm using the cable below. My s22 case hugs the round adapter that stays inserted in the phone creating some what of a seal on its own. I am thinking the moisture sensor is just very sensitive.

CAFELE Magnetic Type c Cable 2 Pack 6.6ft Support QC 3.0 Fast Charging & Data Transfer Magnetic USB C Cable with Led Light Nylon Braided Magnet Phone Charger Cord for Type C Devices - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZCQRBTP/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_S0Y5RMEYNRMC7P15XY1M

edwardob

Feb 8, 2009
magnetic charger works fine for me....j fact i using older one I used with note 20 ultra

no issues with anything....spen. ... screen
they work great. maybe you just got a dud..... I bought a set of 3. .... for car.... office and home. one of them was a bit moody.... so that maybe the case.

the one m mentioned in previous post looks the same was mine

JDubbed

Feb 18, 2011
magnetic charger works fine for me....j fact i using older one I used with note 20 ultra

no issues with anything....spen. ... screen
they work great. maybe you just got a dud..... I bought a set of 3. .... for car.... office and home. one of them was a bit moody.... so that maybe the case.

the one m mentioned in previous post looks the same was mine
I don't believe it is a dud cable or connector. I've tried 5 different adapters and 4 different cables so far. I've purchased 3 of the 3 packs over the years so I have many adapters and cables I've been testing with.

I don't believe it is a dud cable or connector. I've tried 5 different adapters and 4 different cables so far. I've purchased 3 of the 3 packs over the years so I have many adapters and cables I've been testing with.
Agreed. Mine was in my s10+ since purchase with no issues. Didn't last 3hrs in the S22 Ultra and I had new replacement tips and cables the errored just as fast.

The sensor is hyper sensitive and something in only certain products is setting it off falsely...
I still think the gasket helps prevent the issue from occurring.

I have these on the way for testing next...

I've also been looking at and considering similar items. It looks like there is finally some standardization in the plug's interface on the magnetic side. At least the photos of the plugs from several different vendors are looking to be identical. If so then that will give a lot more flexibility in making product choices.

Last edited:
I've also been looking at and considering similar items. It looks like there is finally some standardization in the plug's interface on the magnetic side. At least the photos of the plugs are looking to be identical. If so then that will give a lot more flexibility in making product choices.
I doubt these tips will work with NetDot Gen10 cables if that's what you mean. I would think a 24pin version of the same design wouldn't fit with a 5pin cable. while in the USB C connector itself they are designed to be swappable there is no telling what the pitch or order of the wires is on the magnetic side. Even if it physically lined up, mixing brands could mean putting 5v down a data line or who knows what other random combination. doing so with a QC or PD version would be quite dangerous I would think...

I doubt these tips will work with NetDot Gen10 cables if that's what you mean.

No, that's not what I meant. I just happened to notice that several of the newer magnetic connector products with 24-pin, 100W or 60W PD, etc. capabilities appear to have identical plug to cable or adapter interfaces. I have no idea at this point if they really are compatible, but it sure would be nice if they were. That's one of the big gripes I've had with previous generations of these products, that the interfaces were all different, even successive generations of the same brand are incompatible with each other..

Last edited:

<Bob>

Aug 14, 2014
Los Angeles
I own an S22 Ultra 1TB. I have had TWO occurrences of the Moisture/Debris alarm. I have only owned the phone for TWO weeks.

The phone is sealed inside a BATTERY CASE. It was placed into the case on day one, as soon as I unboxed and activated the phone. Only the internal USB plug of the case touches the S22u. No debris or water can reach the USB connector on the phone.

The battery case has a separate external connector that is used to charge the case (and the phone). In the two incidences on which alarms occurred, NO EXTERNAL cables were plugged into the case. No obvious environmental conditions would contribute to the situation (e.g. I was not sitting in a steam room). In fact, I was sitting in my own dining room eating dinner the most recent time that the Moisture-Drop symbol appeared on the phone.

It would be nice if the Samsung Engineering Department would post and tell us what parameters they are measuring as input to the decision making process of triggering the Moisture/Debris Alarm. (e.g. current leakage/resistance between conductors? Between conductors and the metal shroud of the connector?) Without this knowledge, we are flying blind, grasping at straws.

We run the risk of being manipulated by social media influencers and marketing sock-puppet accounts that are trying to boost sales by asserting that their cable or product does not trigger the Moisture/Debris alarm. Such claims are speculative, without definitive knowledge of what technical parameter triggers the alarm. We could really use some guidance from Samsung Engineering regarding what they monitor as the Alarm trigger.

I've been using these for the last 3 days without issue: USB C Magnetic Cable

I have these on order: Magnetic USB C Adapter 24Pin Type C PD 100W Fast Charging Connector The specs and configuration options are much better.
I got the second item you posted from Amazon about a week ago and moved exclusively to that and have had zero issues with wireless charging, wired android auto, wired slow charging and wired 45w super fast+ charging.

So far the trend for me has been that anything with a ~1mm or thicker plastic or rubber gasket between the magnetic head and the phone has worked flawlessly...

I own an S22 Ultra 1TB. I have had TWO occurrences of the Moisture/Debris alarm. I have only owned the phone for TWO weeks.
Two times in two weeks is not so bad. There were times that I got it 2 times in a day, but more often it was about once every 2-3 days.

I do agree however that it would be nice to have more specifics about what is the intended triggers for the alert and some determination about why some inserts trigger it (seemingly) incorrectly. Otherwise all we can do is say I've been using X for Y weeks with no triggers yet. 😉 As Y grows the more confident we can be, but it would be nice to be sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: <Bob>

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Never knew something like this even existed... Can one leave the tip in the usb port permanently as a cover to protect it from dust/ debris when not using to charge it? It also seems like a great solution for protecting the USB port from the constant wear and tear of plugging/ unplugging into it..
    It skews the charging curve. It may charge slow or not at all. With a 5000 mAh battery you should have at least 8 hours SOT!
    It's hard on the battery especially in high ambient temperatures or direct sunlight.
    For navigation a dedicated GPS is more effective... and less hassle if the heat burns it up.

I'll add to that by saying I nearly burned up my N10+ like that. It definitely took some battery capacity. It can really tip them over the edge fast. The high temperature shutdown may not kick in fast enough to prevent damage. Direct sunlight is a real killer as much of the heat is dissipated through the display.
    I've not had the alert popup since I switched to the NetDot Gen10 on Wednesday. I'm feeling good enough about it that I've just ordered enough new Gen10 cables and tips to replace all my Gen12s. The charging speed is slightly reduced, but being error free makes up for that inconvenience.

I have a new idea about what the cause of the problem may be, at least based on my limited experience with the 2 NetDot series. The data and power contacts on the Gen10 tips are recessed and not reachable by casual contact or jostling. It's not obvious in the photo, but the contacts are slightly lower than the surface of the magnet, enough that I can barely touch them with a fingernail. On the other hand, on the Gen12 tips the contacts are fully exposed and flush with the surface. So perhaps the alert can be triggered by repeated stray micro-currents or drops in resistance between those contacts? It's been decades since I had any electrical tech courses, so I could be way off base, but it's an interesting thought.

2022-03-12_16-19-11.png
    Interesting thread. I never knew about the magnetic system. I do keep a usb-c plug in the port full time to keep out dirt and lint. Never had the moisture popup so far in a week with one inserted in my S22.
    Did you try with another magnetic adaptor?
    I have also been charging with a magnetic charger for many years, now even for the device I've been waiting for almost a month, I ordered brand new kits. I really hope there is no problem like what you described.
    Of course I will also buy a wireless charger, but the convenience of using the magnetic one is indispensable for me.