Question Magnetic USB-C chargers do not work! Triggers moisture sensor block.

Search This thread

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
Just an update and a question: I also bought a NetDot Gen10 set of three cables on Amazon. Been using them full time for a few weeks now and they have been perfect. In addition to no moisture problem on my S22 Ultra, I love the way you keep a plug in the device all the time, preventing dirt, lint, etc. from building up and becoming a problem. Very easy to connect to the cable also. I even keep one in my Tab S6 and my Kindle Oasis.

Now my question is about the iPhone 7 I got for almost nothing that I use only as a music and podcast player. I cannot find anything for the iPhone similar to the NetDot magnetic cables. Does such a cable exist? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsXpanD
Now my question is about the iPhone 7 I got for almost nothing that I use only as a music and podcast player. I cannot find anything for the iPhone similar to the NetDot magnetic cables. Does such a cable exist? Thanks.

iPhone 7 has a lightning port, does it not? There are tons of cheap magnetic cables with lightning tips. My kids use them for their iPads without issues, in my case this is an iPad Mini 4 and an iPad 6th Gen. Both are a few years old so I dunno how reliable they would be on brand new devices with whatever crazy new protections against 3rd party products Apple may have added. Pretty sure your iPhone 7 is older than one if not both of the iPads in my house.

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
NetDot used to include lightning connectors, but it's been a long time. They've only included USB-C and Micro-USB plugs the past couple years.

It looks like Volta (https://voltacharger.com/) is still including all 3 plug types with their cable kits.
Thanks. Yeah I am having a hard time finding anything that will work with ios14 or above. Probably why Net Dot stopped including the lightning tips.

Jan 19, 2014
The problem in going BACKWARDS to Gen 10 is that you LOSE the swiveling capability of the Gen 12!
Are there no Gen 12 inserts that will work??? Just got the S22 Ultra, and it DOESN'T CHARGE AT ALL with any of my previous cables or inserts!

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
I never used Gen12 personally... I hate the round inserts and the swivel-type in general, regardless of the brand that offers it.
I agree. I have the Gen 10 and love them and they work. I just wish that the lightning ends were still available. But from what I have been able to learn, that is an Apple decision to not allow the magnetic chargers to work, not the cable manufactures. Apple has for some reason made it so the lightning ends do not seem to work with the most recent iOS versions.

Anyone with the recent April update still having issues with the non gen 10 cables?
While I have not tested this I read online that in the USA at least, the April update was mainly security patch related and the big update that's supposed to address a bunch of customer concerns like GOS service throttling apps and UI related things (and maybe our charging issues?) is coming SOON™...

abcomputin

Dec 15, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I have two NetDot Gen 10 lightning connectors on order directly from NetDot. If they do show up and work properly, I'll post that. NetDot said that it was Amazon that made them stop including the lightning connectors. Hope they show up soon. Also, The Shipping fee was € 5.The unit price of one connector was €1.5. I think it came out to $9 and change after the euro conversion.

Reactions: Will_T

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
I have two NetDot Gen 10 lightning connectors on order directly from NetDot. If they do show up and work properly, I'll post that. NetDot said that it was Amazon that made them stop including the lightning connectors. Hope they show up soon. Also, The Shipping fee was € 5.The unit price of one connector was €1.5. I think it came out to $9 and change after the euro conversion.
Please post the link to how you bought these. I have searched all over and maybe my search terms are faulty, but I could not find them.

The NetDot website store only links to Amazon. Their website and other places only show their products for sale on Amazon. My search on Amazon only turns up Gen10 for USB-C and micro, nothing for lightning or iPhone. In questions posted on some of the Amazon Gen10 cables, people asked about lightning and iPhone and NetDot seller responded that those tips are no longer included because the latest few versions of iOS have prevented magnetic tips from working. I could find nobody saying anything other than not available and won't work. Can't even find the lightning cables or tips on Ebay. So if you were successful finding and ordering the lightning Gen10 tips, please help by posting links. Thanks!

edit: I see now that because I am in the US, maybe that is the issue. I just found a phone number for NetDot but it is a China number.

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
Just following up again to ask if you can post the link to how you bought these so others can also purchase them.

abcomputin

Dec 15, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Sorry for the delay. Wanted to make sure the lightning connectors showed up, worked properly, and wanted to make sure it was ok with NetDot for me to post how I got them ordered. This got started when I asked the vendor a questiion thru Amazon about the lightning connectors. The email to make contact with them is "[email protected]". Following is the original info they provided to me:

"Lightning connectors can not be sold on amazon any more.Sorry for the inconvenience.
But we can ship it to you directly.
The Shipping fee is € 5.The unit price of one connector is €1.5.
It usually arrives in 2-3 weeks.
Here is the paypal: [email protected]
We will arrange the shipping once receive the payment."

I ordered two of the Gen10 lightning connectors for 8 euros total. Right now 8 euros equals +/- $8.45

Once again, sorry for this delay.

Reactions: Will_T

volcolm

Jan 20, 2013
Anyone tested the original magnetic cable these knockoffs are from (the "Volta")?

Before everyone's going to cry "bUT yoU can BuY thEm on AlieXpRess" but these didn't start popping up until that cable made it to market. So that's not the point of my inquiry.

Just curious is all.

hand-filer

Sep 21, 2021
Canada
Anyone tested the original magnetic cable these knockoffs are from (the "Volta")?

Before everyone's going to cry "bUT yoU can BuY thEm on AlieXpRess" but these didn't start popping up until that cable made it to market. So that's not the point of my inquiry.

Just curious is all.
Not crying about anything but after looking at all of the variations out there I ordered these USB4.0 Thunderbolt3 Magnetic Adapter USB C To Type C from Aliexpress. They're made by the same factory that make the grossly overpriced ones that are sold by Amazon, Volta or from whomever. Ordered 4 pair and after evaluating ordered 4 more. They support super fast charging and don't trigger any moisture fault.
One or two people have an issue and it's all about the connector. Maybe it's about the phone.

blazewit

Jun 16, 2010
Madison
The magnetic chargers do have higher leakage than a normal wire n this being the 1st Samsung line to support 45 watt charging it may have a lower tolerance for voltage anomalies caused by the slight shifting of the plug in normal use (hence why ppl can sometimes go days without issues.

Reactions: volcolm

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
Sorry for the delay. Wanted to make sure the lightning connectors showed up, worked properly, and wanted to make sure it was ok with NetDot for me to post how I got them ordered. This got started when I asked the vendor a questiion thru Amazon about the lightning connectors. The email to make contact with them is "[email protected]". Following is the original info they provided to me:

"Lightning connectors can not be sold on amazon any more.Sorry for the inconvenience.
But we can ship it to you directly.
The Shipping fee is € 5.The unit price of one connector is €1.5.
It usually arrives in 2-3 weeks.
Here is the paypal: [email protected]
We will arrange the shipping once receive the payment."

I ordered two of the Gen10 lightning connectors for 8 euros total. Right now 8 euros equals +/- $8.45

Once again, sorry for this delay.

Thanks again. I ordered 4 of them and they are slowly making their way from China. After 12 days they finally made it to Los Angeles airport customs. But they have been sitting there now for another 3 days. So, yes for anyone else who orders them... The service is great and the price is right. But they really will take 3 weeks, at least, to arrive. I know, a first world problem and only for those of us spoiled by Amazon Prime delivery! LOL!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Never knew something like this even existed... Can one leave the tip in the usb port permanently as a cover to protect it from dust/ debris when not using to charge it? It also seems like a great solution for protecting the USB port from the constant wear and tear of plugging/ unplugging into it..
    What's wrong with charging with the screen on ?
    Sometimes when I'm traveling trying to find a place with navigation on i like charging it and leaving the screen on
    It skews the charging curve. It may charge slow or not at all. With a 5000 mAh battery you should have at least 8 hours SOT!
    It's hard on the battery especially in high ambient temperatures or direct sunlight.
    For navigation a dedicated GPS is more effective... and less hassle if the heat burns it up.

I'll add to that by saying I nearly burned up my N10+ like that. It definitely took some battery capacity. It can really tip them over the edge fast. The high temperature shutdown may not kick in fast enough to prevent damage. Direct sunlight is a real killer as much of the heat is dissipated through the display.
    I've not had the alert popup since I switched to the NetDot Gen10 on Wednesday. I'm feeling good enough about it that I've just ordered enough new Gen10 cables and tips to replace all my Gen12s. The charging speed is slightly reduced, but being error free makes up for that inconvenience.

I have a new idea about what the cause of the problem may be, at least based on my limited experience with the 2 NetDot series. The data and power contacts on the Gen10 tips are recessed and not reachable by casual contact or jostling. It's not obvious in the photo, but the contacts are slightly lower than the surface of the magnet, enough that I can barely touch them with a fingernail. On the other hand, on the Gen12 tips the contacts are fully exposed and flush with the surface. So perhaps the alert can be triggered by repeated stray micro-currents or drops in resistance between those contacts? It's been decades since I had any electrical tech courses, so I could be way off base, but it's an interesting thought.

2022-03-12_16-19-11.png
    Interesting thread. I never knew about the magnetic system. I do keep a usb-c plug in the port full time to keep out dirt and lint. Never had the moisture popup so far in a week with one inserted in my S22.
    Did you try with another magnetic adaptor?
    I have also been charging with a magnetic charger for many years, now even for the device I've been waiting for almost a month, I ordered brand new kits. I really hope there is no problem like what you described.
    Of course I will also buy a wireless charger, but the convenience of using the magnetic one is indispensable for me.