Magnetic vent mount

Search This thread

sosquidtaste

Jun 28, 2010
Los Angeles

Cool mod! Just to make sure, are you able to have your phone hold tightly to your mod even without sticking the Tetrax magnet part onto the back of your phone/case? Or is the mod able to hold the phone stably without it?

jucytec

Jan 20, 2009
Cool mod! Just to make sure, are you able to have your phone hold tightly to your mod even without sticking the Tetrax magnet part onto the back of your phone/case? Or is the mod able to hold the phone stably without it?

I doubt any of you will do this but... I'll explain anyway.

There are many holes that need to be precision drilled...

1. hole for the tetrax magnet that goes on the front cover of the wireless charger.
2. screw holes for the vent mount on the back cover of the wireless charger.
3. a hole for your phone case to have the tetrax plate which is only 9mm wide.

I took the 9mm plate and epoxy and glued it to a left over screen protector film.
Drilled a hole dead center of the phone case.
The circular plate fits perfect in the hole without protruding out of the case.

One note... I have a TPU case, and... thermal polyurethane is impossible to drill with a regular bit. I had to make my own bit using one of my wife's makeup pen thing... the cap was made out of metal... i had to heat it and make it a bit wider to 9mm then put some notches to make it into a hole cutter.

I drive pretty rough/fast... I have yet to have the phone come off the magnet.

I still plan to put finishing touches...

1. remove the rubber anti-slip ring from the front
2. fill the seam between tetrax and the front cover
3. sand down the front cover
4. plastic dip the front and back cover
5. add the rubber ring back on.

Once it's done it'll look real stealthy... it might seem like a lot of work, but my car literally has no place to mount a holder/charger anywhere. and I don't like putting thing on my glass, i hate suction cups.

Attachments

• 20170426_150555.jpg
    20170426_150555.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 824
  • 20170426_150605.jpg
    20170426_150605.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 832
Reactions: awionetka

strongylad28

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for the tip, I had given up on being able to do both wireless charging and a magnetic mount.

Ditto , I opted for this mount as it has 6 apparently strong magnets

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01AMGFY5M/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this car charger that is fast charge 3.0.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01HH52Q5W/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My thinking was that I can then just plug it in as I need to and not risk constantly trickle charging the battery and damaging it.

SBC44

Sep 13, 2010
Ditto , I opted for this mount as it has 6 apparently strong magnets

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01AMGFY5M/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this car charger that is fast charge 3.0.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01HH52Q5W/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My thinking was that I can then just plug it in as I need to and not risk constantly trickle charging the battery and damaging it.

I'm using that exact mount and it does work pretty well

cvinton07

Feb 2, 2009
Jucytec, how long have you been using this setup? Or have you had any long period of use with it yet this past week?

Looking through some of the designs for magnetic car chargers on Amazon, they tend to have a series of magnets mounted with reversing polarity in a circle around the outside of the inductance coil, to help prevent interference with the wireless charging. Have you had any issues with the magnet in the middle of the coil? This effects the electromagnetic field that is used to charge the phone. By no means am I suggesting that you're wrong, I'm more curious on your experience thus far since I love the clean look of your setup!

I doubt any of you will do this but... I'll explain anyway.

There are many holes that need to be precision drilled...

1. hole for the tetrax magnet that goes on the front cover of the wireless charger.
2. screw holes for the vent mount on the back cover of the wireless charger.
3. a hole for your phone case to have the tetrax plate which is only 9mm wide.

I took the 9mm plate and epoxy and glued it to a left over screen protector film.
Drilled a hole dead center of the phone case.
The circular plate fits perfect in the hole without protruding out of the case.

One note... I have a TPU case, and... thermal polyurethane is impossible to drill with a regular bit. I had to make my own bit using one of my wife's makeup pen thing... the cap was made out of metal... i had to heat it and make it a bit wider to 9mm then put some notches to make it into a hole cutter.

I drive pretty rough/fast... I have yet to have the phone come off the magnet.

I still plan to put finishing touches...

1. remove the rubber anti-slip ring from the front
2. fill the seam between tetrax and the front cover
3. sand down the front cover
4. plastic dip the front and back cover
5. add the rubber ring back on.

Once it's done it'll look real stealthy... it might seem like a lot of work, but my car literally has no place to mount a holder/charger anywhere. and I don't like putting thing on my glass, i hate suction cups.

jucytec

Jan 20, 2009
Jucytec, how long have you been using this setup? Or have you had any long period of use with it yet this past week?

Looking through some of the designs for magnetic car chargers on Amazon, they tend to have a series of magnets mounted with reversing polarity in a circle around the outside of the inductance coil, to help prevent interference with the wireless charging. Have you had any issues with the magnet in the middle of the coil? This effects the electromagnetic field that is used to charge the phone. By no means am I suggesting that you're wrong, I'm more curious on your experience thus far since I love the clean look of your setup!

my setup is well over a year old... thanks to this thread, i'm modding a new one using a different base...

as far is how the induction charging goes, the charging waves are in a form of a donut... it's got the least amount of power in the center of the coils. there's nothing wrong with having something in the middle of it as long as it's small enough. I have a good 5mm gap between the first coil to the perimeter of the magnet.

rudyo78427

Mar 13, 2013
san jose
I just got the Nillkin quick charge vent mount and it works great. There are two thin metal strips that adhere to the back of the phone and don't need to block the charge area. This is by far the best magnetic vent mount I have used so far. And if you don't mind the thin'ist TPU case this works well with the Nature case they have! I'm using both and it's great! :D

https://www.nillkin-case.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5359

osmosizzz

Dec 13, 2010
Central Jersey. That's it
I just got the Nillkin quick charge vent mount and it works great. There are two thin metal strips that adhere to the back of the phone and don't need to block the charge area. This is by far the best magnetic vent mount I have used so far. And if you don't mind the thin'ist TPU case this works well with the Nature case they have! I'm using both and it's great! :D

https://www.nillkin-case.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5359
I got one similar. Btw the nillkin you linked is not fast charging. I believe there aren't any fast charging vent wireless chargers/holders. Just standard charging.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

rudyo78427

Mar 13, 2013
san jose
I got one similar. Btw the nillkin you linked is not fast charging. I believe there aren't any fast charging vent wireless chargers/holders. Just standard charging.

You are correct. It only outputs 1A of power. I have not been able to find a vent/magnet mount Qi quick charger on the market yet. I was thinking of building my own as you can source prebuilt units that can output 1.3-1.5Amps, but have to use a 9v adapter. Will still look around. :fingers-crossed:

jucytec

Jan 20, 2009

Attachments

• 20170503_080818.jpg
    20170503_080818.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 596

osmosizzz

Dec 13, 2010
Central Jersey. That's it
Here's Mod #2 using a new quick charger I found

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NADE1AC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It already has a hole in the middle so I just modded a vent clip and used the tetrax magnet to be flush with the surface. I might hit it with a second coat of plastic dip but otherwise i'm happy with the results.
Seems cool. May end up doing the same because of the fast charger part. I the one I have doesn't fast charge and the downside is that while using the GPS, the battery drains as it doesnt give the phone enough power

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jucytec

Jan 20, 2009
Seems cool. May end up doing the same because of the fast charger part. I the one I have doesn't fast charge and the downside is that while using the GPS, the battery drains as it doesnt give the phone enough power

Faster Charger needs a car charger that supports QuickCharge

daemn22

May 26, 2011
Manila
awesome mod :D just a quick question...does this affect NFC? had the impression that NFC sensor is installed dead center of the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pics or it didn't happen ?

Oh, it happened.
    Mod #2.

Here's Mod #2 using a new quick charger I found

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NADE1AC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It already has a hole in the middle so I just modded a vent clip and used the tetrax magnet to be flush with the surface. I might hit it with a second coat of plastic dip but otherwise i'm happy with the results.
    I have a tech matte vent mount and I stuck my S8 to it with no steel plate on the back and it held. Does anyone know if this is ok or will it potentially damge the phone?

Won't damage the phone as far as I know but the contact isn't as strong as if you had a plate. Downside of a plate is wireless charging not working. I have to somehow figure out how I'm going to place a plate ok it without killing the wireless charging function

If you put the plate on the lower third of the phone it shouldn't interfere with wireless charging https://youtu.be/GRmY-4HKVIk?t=1m43s
    Think it would be possibly to swap the magnets out for stronger ones? I really don't want to put the extra metal on to the phone but I also don't want the thing dropping off! I was close to ordering this today but now I'm having second thoughts

I am not sure. Seems like this charger relies more on the strong magnets in the sticker / case plate than what is contained in the actual mount itself. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone using this mount / charger with a bare S6 or S8 from personal experience. There could also be some better alternatives out there at this point as I purchased the charging mount about 1 1/2 years ago.