• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Main storage not available on Motorola G7 power

Search This thread

dannyetlv

Aug 15, 2016
Hi!
I have Motorola G7 power xt-1955-4.
And I also got a 512gb Kingston hama sdcard.

The card was formatted as internal storage.
The problem is that today I saw that I can't access the files on my phone. This happened after I moved several files from phone to my computer, to free up some space.

Now, when I open File manager it shows "main storage not available".
I reinserted my SD card a couple of times, but I keep having a notification saying "checking sdcard... Reviewing current content".

When I go to Settings - Storage it says only "sdcard checking..".

When I press on "Checking sd card" notification only it gives me the option to Forget.

How can I access my SD card without formatting it?
Thank you.

Reactions: 20eyes

timba123

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
LG V20
Hi!

The problem is that today I saw that I can't access the files on my phone. This happened after I moved several files from phone to my computer, to free up some space.

I reinserted my SD card a couple of times, but I keep having a notification saying "checking sdcard... Reviewing current content".

When I press on "Checking sd card" notification only it gives me the option to Forget.

Thank you.
See if the sdcard works in a different device?

You said you moved some files from the card to your PC? How did you do this? If you removed the card from the phone and put it in your PC, then what you effectively did was slice off part of your phone's storage, messed with the files, and put it back in. You cut off a piece of brain, rooted around in it, and tried to reattach it.

Internal storage means the card is not removable, and the storage space will be filled with files essential to the phone. Chances are to get the card to work again it needs to be reformatted.

brandon_c

Dec 2, 2021
Hi!

Thank you.
Sorry I'm a bit late. I had this same issue recently. Until now, I have had a problem with any program recognizing the drive without offering to format it first. I can't do that because I am stupid and had important files on there I need. I just located DiskGenius and I am running it now.

Not sure this will repair the issue, but it recognized the sd card which I had set as the primary storage not knowing something like this could happen. It is running a search now for bad sectors. When it finds them, it will provide a repair, but the sectors will be deleted. I am hoping it won't be the sectors that contain my files that I need to recover. But it's a step in the right direction.

I now know not to set an sd card as main storage for Android, because it encrypts the files, and it tied the SD card to the system. I can't even install apps right now because the main storage is non existent.

20eyes

Sep 13, 2010
Moto G7 Power
I just had to throw out a 62g card due to corruption. I do t know how it happened but I eventually had to factory reset/wipe phone. I put the card in a laptop to reformat it. Wouldn't work. I'm getting a new card, but I will not make it phone storage. Bummed me out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

Thank you.