Major!! Wifi Will Not Turn On!!

Search This thread

grmcgee

Dec 7, 2006
Chapel Hill, NC
I have a Fuze, but have been unable to find an answer to my question in the Raphael forums, so I am trying here, please. My wifi turns on whenever I want it to, and it works great. My problem is that wifi turns on automatically, even when I don't want it to. Currently running Energyrom 21864, but this wifi "with a mind of its own" has occurred on multiple Energyrom versions. I have asked this question in the Energyrom forums and never received a response.

I usually turn wifi off manually to save battery, using an on/off utility or commgr. Then some time later, maybe 10 seconds, maybe 5 minutes, wifi will be on again and scanning for a network, even if I have not touched the phone. I looked at TouchPro (Diamond) Tweak, and I have the "wifi on during standby" switch set to off.

Is there a setting somewhere that tells wifi to start up and start scanning, even if I have manually turned wifi off?

Jun 24, 2009
Giurgiu
wi-fi problem

Salutare. Am avut probleme cu wi-fi -ul dupa ce am pus un rom preparat. Am tot cautata raspunsuri si nimic.
Deci am un HTC -dimond 1. Din senin, dupa ce am pus un rom preparat wi-fi -ul nu a mai functionat. Pur si simplu nu se mai deschidea, nu incepea sa functioneze. In setings/conections nu aparea wi-fi ci network card.
Cautand o rezolvare am tot citit nimeni nu avea nici o solituie concreta. Ba sa schimbi radio, ba sa il duci la service, etc...
Cineva avea o rezolvare - sa bagi telefonul la congelat. Se pare ca a fost solutia cea buna. Imi luasem gandul ca v-a mai merge wi-fi-ul pana nu-l voi duce la service dar pe 20 dec. am lasat telefonul afara in ger. Pur si simplu wi-fi -ul functioneaza acum. Nu a fost un gest constient ci pur si simplu s-a intamplat. Nu puteam sa tin telefonul in buzunar si l-am scos si l-am lasat afara. Nu va sfatuiesc sa faceti ca mine. Am scris doar pentru a se cunoaste ca este posibil ca frigul sa rezolve unele probleme ale HTC-urilor. Am mai scris si petru ca atunci cand nimeni nu mi-a dat o rezolvare am citit de mi-a venit rau. Treaba cu congelatorul nici nu am luat-o in serios dar se pare ca era reala. Nu pot fi sigur suta la suta ca wi-fi- ul merge acum cu pentru ca am lasat telefonul in ger dar s-a reparat de la sine.

davipiero

Sep 11, 2009
Someone has definitive fix for this trouble?
Or just a simple explanation, Why is this happen?

Kutthoat5150

Jun 20, 2008
doesn't seem to be a fix yet, does the Wifi have anything to do with the radio? I recently flashed a new radio with the Gen Y R2 Rom using the MTTY method and that is when the problem first started occurring.

davipiero

Sep 11, 2009
doesn't seem to be a fix yet, does the Wifi have anything to do with the radio? I recently flashed a new radio with the Gen Y R2 Rom using the MTTY method and that is when the problem first started occurring.

Me too... Problem started after MTTY procedure....
I've tried 3 different radios with no luck. Including the shipped one.

ZSX

Dec 21, 2006
I'm sure it is a harware issue. Have flashed every single one of the radios on the radio thread and still cannot get the WiFi to switch on. The wait cursor spins, and checkbox fills with a grey tick, but then clears after that. Oh well.

Nirak

Jan 7, 2007
I'm sure it is a harware issue. Have flashed every single one of the radios on the radio thread and still cannot get the WiFi to switch on. The wait cursor spins, and checkbox fills with a grey tick, but then clears after that. Oh well.

Yep, it mostly is a hardware issue (not always). I had the same situation as you, send it in for repair and got it back with a replaced motherboard. Never had any problem with wifi ever since.

dorimanx

Feb 20, 2010
TERA Prime.
www.dorimanx.com
Wifi wont start Resolve!

Hi,
I have found a way to fix this!
if your Wifi is not damaged (Broken hardware) then this solution will help you to fix the starting problem...

do this:
go to HKLM\ControlPanel\wifi\UIDelayAfterBoot=220

if you dont have this DWORD then create it!

It's will start the WIFI after 220 seconds on boot!

If your full boot takes less then 2 minutes, then you can change to 150

This fixed my problem!!!

Please reply if it solved your problem.

Good luck

onesterud

Aug 17, 2008
Hi,
I have found a way to fix this!
if your Wifi is not damaged (Broken hardware) then this solution will help you to fix the starting problem...

do this:
go to HKLM\ControlPanel\wifi\UIDelayAfterBoot=220

if you dont have this DWORD then create it!

It's will start the WIFI after 220 seconds on boot!

If your full boot takes less then 2 minutes, then you can change to 150

This fixed my problem!!!

Please reply if it solved your problem.

Good luck

I tried this, but it didnt work. I noticed that in the waiting of the 150 seconds the display were fading to black, but then it went light again when the UIDelayAfterBoot activated. That was all that happend and the problem is still the same.

minute

Sep 14, 2009
Salutare. Am avut probleme cu wi-fi -ul dupa ce am pus un rom preparat. Am tot cautata raspunsuri si nimic.
Deci am un HTC -dimond 1. Din senin, dupa ce am pus un rom preparat wi-fi -ul nu a mai functionat. Pur si simplu nu se mai deschidea, nu incepea sa functioneze. In setings/conections nu aparea wi-fi ci network card.
Cautand o rezolvare am tot citit nimeni nu avea nici o solituie concreta. Ba sa schimbi radio, ba sa il duci la service, etc...
Cineva avea o rezolvare - sa bagi telefonul la congelat. Se pare ca a fost solutia cea buna. Imi luasem gandul ca v-a mai merge wi-fi-ul pana nu-l voi duce la service dar pe 20 dec. am lasat telefonul afara in ger. Pur si simplu wi-fi -ul functioneaza acum. Nu a fost un gest constient ci pur si simplu s-a intamplat. Nu puteam sa tin telefonul in buzunar si l-am scos si l-am lasat afara. Nu va sfatuiesc sa faceti ca mine. Am scris doar pentru a se cunoaste ca este posibil ca frigul sa rezolve unele probleme ale HTC-urilor. Am mai scris si petru ca atunci cand nimeni nu mi-a dat o rezolvare am citit de mi-a venit rau. Treaba cu congelatorul nici nu am luat-o in serios dar se pare ca era reala. Nu pot fi sigur suta la suta ca wi-fi- ul merge acum cu pentru ca am lasat telefonul in ger dar s-a reparat de la sine.

EXTRAORDINARY!!!
What I quote up means that if you freeze your HTC solves the problem... silly right?
As a last resort, last night I put my HTC Touch Diamond in the freezer. -18 degrees Celsius. Left it there all night (22:00 -> 08:00) and in this morning, after the phone wormed up, I started it and SURPRISE!!! The wi-fi antenna start showing up. Till now, nothing showed up, no antenna (instead of [G] in the upper-right corner) no nothing. Just the colored circle in the middle of the display and that is it! But now, I got a big surprise. The wifi antenna started to show, but it vanish very fast. After few unsucsseful starts, the wireless was stable. So, it is a good solution!

schAko

Aug 18, 2008
Good morning @all,

just want to share my experiences on this topic with you (and my first post here @xda-devs):

I had this WIFI problem quiet a long time. Whenever I hit the "WLAN on" button nothing happened - only the clock animation started and after a couple of seconds the switch went back to "off" (no WLAN antenna in the title bar showed up). In newer roms there is a different option in the WLAN comm Manager which says something like "switch WLAN automatically on" - that didn't help too (but maybe plays a role later in my story).
When I got my diamond late 2008 everything worked fine on stock rom. Then I started flashing several roms and radios with no upcoming problems. I can't say when the time was I first recognized this WLAN issue - sometime around summer 2009 I think. Well, it was not a problem for me because i haven't used WLAN very often before. But during the last weeks I ran into this and thought - damn, would be great to have WLAN now.

I started google-ing and tried some "fixes" and flashed some different roms and radios, but nothing worked out. Then it happened suddenly on Wednesday: After a rom-flash (old: an Energy rom, new: Basics 1.15) I suddenly had a WLAN antenna in the title bar and I could connect to my WLAN router. I was really happy that evening, worked like a charm. The only thing that I did different was that I leaved the mentioned "turn WLAN on automatically" button activated before flashing (don't know if this made the difference).

But the mood changed on Thursday: I clicked the WLAN-button on and on again - nothing happened. It was really annoying. I cannot imagine what exactly went wrong during the night. I had enough and I went to the HTC page and grabbed the latest official rom for my german o2 carrier with the beautiful name HTC Touch Diamond_RUU_Diamond_O2_DE_2.03.207.2_Radio_Signed_Diamond_52.51.25.26_1.09.25.23_Ship. I flashed it with MTTY like I always do. I've had the built-in radio 1.09.25.23 before, so no change there. Well, after this flash my WLAN now works without fault (except sometimes I have to restart it because it doesn't want to connect).

Conclusion so far for me: I can't imagine that the issue is a hardware issue in every case. I think that there might be different WIFI modules in maybe early diamonds or perhaps a driver issue in the "newer" drivers or something else. Otherwise I cannot explain why my WLAN suddenly works again.

SO, that's my story. I'll try out a new rom because I hate the stock ones, especially the o2 blue girlie-style :D. I'll post my experience regarding the WLAN then again - wether it works or not.
*** EDIT: flashed actual energy titanium rom, WIFI works perfectly so far. Now I'm happy. ***

*** EDIT2: After some days the WIFI didn't work again. Looked into this and found another point: Nearly all Chefs include Advanced Config in their roms. In Advanced Config there is an option under Network - "Turn off WIFI if no activity" - which is switched "YES" as default. I turned it off and since that I never ran into a WIFI issue. Maybe that works for others too. ***

(PS: I'm using Olinex SPL-1.93 and sorry for my english ;))

Last edited:

ado90

Aug 6, 2010
Tuzla
hi
i have same problem, wifi wont turn on, and did someone figured how to make it work???
I searched on forum and did not found anything that helped me.
My wifi stop working when I flashed other rom, but I try to back old stock rom and it did not work, and I tried many other roms and radios, and made hard and soft resets but nothing.
Please help, give me something that I can try to make it work.
Thanks

Sorry for bad english

Nirak

Jan 7, 2007
@ado90

I stumbled on a wifi fix when i had a not working screen and a 'Micro-P' error.
Turned out i had to disassemble the device and reconnect 2 connectors on the main board of the device, once done i also had my wifi back.

I've read alot of threads about the Micro-P error, but i think this is the one that's the most clear about the connectors:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=657514

Brum88

Nov 25, 2008
@ado90

I stumbled on a wifi fix when i had a not working screen and a 'Micro-P' error.
Turned out i had to disassemble the device and reconnect 2 connectors on the main board of the device, once done i also had my wifi back.

I've read alot of threads about the Micro-P error, but i think this is the one that's the most clear about the connectors:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=657514

worked for me :)

thanks

Lwauters

Sep 27, 2012
cant turn on wifi

I have the same on my acer a500 ,

Screenshot_2012-09-27-14-26-34%255B1%255D.png

If I turn it on:
Screenshot_2012-09-27-14-26-41%255B1%255D.png

automatic after 2seconds:
Screenshot_2012-09-27-14-26-46%255B1%255D.png

sometimes I cant move the switsh.

I thought maybe a driver ? I've reinstalled the rom and stuff, not working.

and how I do a hard recet ?

Lwauters

Screenshot_2012-09-27-14-26-15%255B1%255D.png

Chre77

Oct 3, 2012
I had the same problem. I simply flashed it with another ROM and then it worked again.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using xda app-developers app