Make a VOIP call over WIFI while outside of US?

Search This thread

B Feelgood

Jun 25, 2007
I am getting ready to go on vacation to T&C for two weeks on Sunday. Last time I left the country and made calls back home on a global cell phone I had a couple hundred dollar bill. Is it possible for me to call my friends/family back home in the US while out of the country and on WiFi over a VOIP program for cheap or free calls? I thought Google Voice was the answer but doesn't seem to be what I want. Also, it would be preferred if the recipient did not have to install anything on their phone.

Any suggestions?

scirio

Nov 8, 2007
Too bad Skype's android app got crippled AND moved over to Verizon.. so lame.

Fring used to do this too when they allowed Skype.

Stupid Skype.

B Feelgood

Jun 25, 2007
Thanks... Is there an app I could download to use in conjunction with Google Voice maybe? Evaphone seems like it may work but I would have to buy minutes at the rate of 15 cents. A free option would be great :)

Fring only works with other phones that have Fring installed, correct?

Last-Chance

Aug 16, 2010
Too bad Skype's android app got crippled AND moved over to Verizon.. so lame.

Fring used to do this too when they allowed Skype.

Stupid Skype.

wait wut? i thought skype was getting updated for android to allow voice/video calling

also the sipsocery doesn't work anymore. need invites to register :(

Last edited:

drmacinyasha

Jun 4, 2010
Sacramento
denh.am
Hold up, hold up, hold up.

Mmmkay, here's what you do.

1) Go get a Google Voice account with a local number. Get that all setup so it'll ring your cellphone (trust me, just stick with this).

2) Head on over to Sipgate.com and sign up for a free Sipgate One account. When it asks for a phone number to verify that you're not a bot registering, give it your real cellphone number. Don't worry if you can't get a "local" number and only wind up with something in California (don't worry, just follow the instructions).

3) Download and install Sipdroid on your EVO. Make sure to set "Preferred Call Type" to "Phone" (otherwise Sipdroid will always take over for all outbound calls. This is bad when you get back in the country, and because Sipdroid doesn't play well with Sipgate for outbound calls, which also cost money on Sipgate). For the SIP Account settings, grab these off your control panel on Sipgate's website (Go to Settings, then on the right-hand side, you'll see "SIP Credentials". Click that) and use the SIP-ID and SIP-Password for the Authorization Username and Password fields in Sipdroid, appropriately. Use "sipgate.com" for Server or Proxy and Domain. Leave Username, Port, and Protocol as-is. Next, go to the Call Options menu in Sipdroid, and enable "Use WLAN", "Use 3G", and "Use EDGE" (Yes, there's no EDGE on CDMA, but it's just to prevent issues). While you're out of the country, you can disable "Use 3G' and "Use EDGE" to force all calls to be WiFi-only.

4) In Sipgate's settings, go to the Forwarding section, and clear out all of the rules (We don't want Sipgate to handle voicemail, as Google Voice will be taking care of that).

5) Add your Sipgate number to Google Voice's list of phones. Make sure to mark it as a landline (not a cellphone) and that you have Sipdroid open and connected when you go to do the verification. Congratulations, you're all set up!

Now, when you leave the country, open up GV online, disable your cellphone's number (your Sprint number, not your Sipgate number) as an available phone. Set Sipdroid to only use WLAN, and I'd recommend putting your phone in Airplane mode with just WiFi turned on. Now people can call and text your Google Voice number (you can install the Google Voice app on your EVO to manage voicemails and texts, and when you get back in the country, to handle calls, too!). To make calls, that's a little more tricky. You have to open up the Google Voice site in a full browser (you can try setting your UAString and all that to Desktop on your EVO's browser, but it doesn't work too well), and then click the "Call" button in the top-left, and select your Sipgate number as the phone to call with, type in the phone number to call, and hit Connect.

Now, the beauty of it all: How GV works is when you have an incoming call, they just forward the call to your number. When you make an outgoing call, GV calls you, then establishes a conference call between you and the destination. As soon as that happens, GV "leaves" the conference call, just leaving you and the destination connected with each other. This works perfectly, as Sipgate One allows for unlimited, free, inbound calls. In addition to all this, you can use a computer with a headset, and the new Gmail to call people directly from the Gmail webpage. Nifty, eh?

B Feelgood

Jun 25, 2007
Awesome! Just set everything up and made a few local test calls (inbound/outbound) and it works just as you said it would. As long as it still works when I get to T&C, then this is a great option. Thanks for such a detailed write up and for saving me some money this vacation :p

PS: Do I have to worry about the "calling credit" tab on Google Voice's homepage? It says all calls within the US are free but international calls will affect your balance. It will not know that I am out of the country since it is being directed through Sipgate and all the calls will be free, correct?

Hold up, hold up, hold up.

Mmmkay, here's what you do.

1) Go get a Google Voice account with a local number. Get that all setup so it'll ring your cellphone (trust me, just stick with this).

2) Head on over to Sipgate.com and sign up for a free Sipgate One account. When it asks for a phone number to verify that you're not a bot registering, give it your real cellphone number. Don't worry if you can't get a "local" number and only wind up with something in California (don't worry, just follow the instructions).

3) Download and install Sipdroid on your EVO. Make sure to set "Preferred Call Type" to "Phone" (otherwise Sipdroid will always take over for all outbound calls. This is bad when you get back in the country, and because Sipdroid doesn't play well with Sipgate for outbound calls, which also cost money on Sipgate). For the SIP Account settings, grab these off your control panel on Sipgate's website (Go to Settings, then on the right-hand side, you'll see "SIP Credentials". Click that) and use the SIP-ID and SIP-Password for the Authorization Username and Password fields in Sipdroid, appropriately. Use "sipgate.com" for Server or Proxy and Domain. Leave Username, Port, and Protocol as-is. Next, go to the Call Options menu in Sipdroid, and enable "Use WLAN", "Use 3G", and "Use EDGE" (Yes, there's no EDGE on CDMA, but it's just to prevent issues). While you're out of the country, you can disable "Use 3G' and "Use EDGE" to force all calls to be WiFi-only.

4) In Sipgate's settings, go to the Forwarding section, and clear out all of the rules (We don't want Sipgate to handle voicemail, as Google Voice will be taking care of that).

5) Add your Sipgate number to Google Voice's list of phones. Make sure to mark it as a landline (not a cellphone) and that you have Sipdroid open and connected when you go to do the verification. Congratulations, you're all set up!

Now, when you leave the country, open up GV online, disable your cellphone's number (your Sprint number, not your Sipgate number) as an available phone. Set Sipdroid to only use WLAN, and I'd recommend putting your phone in Airplane mode with just WiFi turned on. Now people can call and text your Google Voice number (you can install the Google Voice app on your EVO to manage voicemails and texts, and when you get back in the country, to handle calls, too!). To make calls, that's a little more tricky. You have to open up the Google Voice site in a full browser (you can try setting your UAString and all that to Desktop on your EVO's browser, but it doesn't work too well), and then click the "Call" button in the top-left, and select your Sipgate number as the phone to call with, type in the phone number to call, and hit Connect.

Now, the beauty of it all: How GV works is when you have an incoming call, they just forward the call to your number. When you make an outgoing call, GV calls you, then establishes a conference call between you and the destination. As soon as that happens, GV "leaves" the conference call, just leaving you and the destination connected with each other. This works perfectly, as Sipgate One allows for unlimited, free, inbound calls. In addition to all this, you can use a computer with a headset, and the new Gmail to call people directly from the Gmail webpage. Nifty, eh?

B Feelgood

Jun 25, 2007
Just checked my Sipgate account and it says I have 57 out of 60 minutes remaining. On their homepage it states "Sign up now and receive 60 free minutes to use on domestic calls during your first month. If you need more minutes or want to use sipgate beyond your free trial please charge your account using a credit card."

I don't really have a problem paying for extra minutes "lowest amount you can buy is $20." But I just want to make I set up everything correctly because you had stated that Sipgate allows for unlimited, free, in-bound calls.

Thanks!

drmacinyasha

Jun 4, 2010
Sacramento
denh.am
Awesome! Just set everything up and made a few local test calls (inbound/outbound) and it works just as you said it would. As long as it still works when I get to T&C, then this is a great option. Thanks for such a detailed write up and for saving me some money this vacation :p

PS: Do I have to worry about the "calling credit" tab on Google Voice's homepage? It says all calls within the US are free but international calls will affect your balance. It will not know that I am out of the country since it is being directed through Sipgate and all the calls will be free, correct?

Just checked my Sipgate account and it says I have 57 out of 60 minutes remaining. On their homepage it states "Sign up now and receive 60 free minutes to use on domestic calls during your first month. If you need more minutes or want to use sipgate beyond your free trial please charge your account using a credit card."

I don't really have a problem paying for extra minutes "lowest amount you can buy is $20." But I just want to make I set up everything correctly because you had stated that Sipgate allows for unlimited, free, in-bound calls.

Thanks!

GV shouldn't care about where you are, since you're using WiFi to Sipgate. And according to Sipgate's Twitter, all inbound calls are free. See these conversations:
https://twitter.com/LadyJessica00/status/18773310317
https://twitter.com/sipgate/status/18775978030
and
https://twitter.com/sipgate/status/21519605273

If they try to charge you for GV... Something's up. I'd contact their support team.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone