Make your Desire Z blazing fast - Legendary

Search This thread

h.motawee

Feb 12, 2011
Cairo
Hey all .. I have been a registered user on xda for over a year now and after a really loooong rom trails, finally i have reached the best performance for our Desire Z .. Found the best rom with best setting so far

Whats amazing is that the rom is Sense 3.5 :eek: and it runs smoothly than any other rom i have ever seen even the de-sensed ones

p.s Before stating the roms i would like to thank all the devs over xda and other websites for the huge effort they put in these roms :)

I tried

1. MIUI
2. CM7
3. RunnyDoroid
4. BeatMod BlissSense Hybrid
5. LeeDroid_HD
6. Virtuous Unity
7. Virtuous Affinity
8. Virtuous Sense
9. Coredroid
10. InsertCoin_Vision
11. RCMix

And all ICS ports .. By far This rom with these settings r the best performance i have ever experienced on my Desire Z and i would like to share it with you .. So let's Start ;)

Rom Name:

Android Revolution HD™ 7.0.2 - Thanks to Napior and Mike1986

Kernel:

RCMix v12.2 Kernel

Tried Virtuous Kernel too (Didn't notice any speed differences but if you want to go with the Virtuous Kernel its running smoothly :)). Thanks to Zofox

Tweaks:

(What i installed not all available ones)

A. RCTweaks v2.0 (For All Sense 3.5 ROMs)

B. TouchPad Wake On

Lets go for the Settings ;)

Using V6 - SuperCharger

I used the MegaRAM 2 w/512mb option 9 in this script (Reported to have some issues with gaming - try option 6 for gaming please)

Gives me around 145MB of free Ram with 53 Apps installed. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OC - I am using Set CPU just for monitoring (Dont change the frequencies just monitor the CPU frequency and temp)

I am using governer - smartass

*If you decided to go for the Virtuous Kernel (go for screen off profile scary and the default governor SavagedZen - Both with the same frequencies 245MHz to 1075 MHz)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SD-Booster (for SD card speed) Setting 8192KB

VM Heap Tool - Setting 32m

Used Swap following this tutorial (Thanks for masterismos for guiding me to the tutorial) - Used 512MB for EXT and 256MB for swap partition

Thats all .. Hope this topic will help Desire Z owners to have a reliable, fast, stable and enjoyable phone ;)

P.s if anyone got a better setting or an app i missed please tell me.

Note: If u got a USB mass storage problem when trying to hock ur phone to a laptop or a pc (the Only one i faced) - Use SD Dual Mount it will solve the problem like charm ;)

Benchmarks:

* With Antutu benchmark
* Using the above settings

2gt3puf.png

Thanks to oVeRdOsE for the benchmarks

Last edited:

bogdan5844

Jul 3, 2011
Bucharest
I have tried your setup. And I have to say, something weird is happening. Whenever I try a game, after a few minutes, the screen goes black. The app is still running, because if I close the screen and open it again, there it is.

Any idea?

h.motawee

Feb 12, 2011
Cairo
That never happened with me .. but try changing the V6 - Supercharger to option 6 that might solve the problem .. try it and get back to me

p.s it was reported by some users that some memory handling in v6 - SuperCharger does not handle games well (reported for option 7 up till now)

Whats your opinion about the overall performance of the phone?

Last edited:

h.motawee

Feb 12, 2011
Cairo
Gaming Problem

I am trying option 6 now and it is running smoothly on Angry Birds Space with no problems .. Please get back to me as soon as u try it :)

Igoritza

May 23, 2008
Belgrade
damn ... 3 days ago I tried every single ROM there is, and I really taught Virtuous sense is the one to go .. now I have to do it again (and I hate flashing cause of paranoia of brick, even though I do it by the book) .. guess I will try it if lots of you say only positive stuff.

what's the ROM's default CPU frequency ?

h.motawee

Feb 12, 2011
Cairo
Seems like that did the trick. Overall performance - WOW! 140mb free ram on a Sense 3.5 ROM. Never thought that was possible.

Happy it worked for u .. thanks for the feedback .. enjoy ur new desire z ;)

Hit the thanks button if u liked the settings ;)

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

h.motawee

Feb 12, 2011
Cairo
damn ... 3 days ago I tried every single ROM there is, and I really taught Virtuous sense is the one to go .. now I have to do it again (and I hate flashing cause of paranoia of brick, even though I do it by the book) .. guess I will try it if lots of you say only positive stuff.

what's the ROM's default CPU frequency ?

As I said in the topic .. I have tried every single rom out there try this with with my settings and u won't regret it I guarantee u that :)

The Rom's default CPU frequency is 1075 GHz and don't overlock it I tried overlocking it and it performe better under the 1075 GHz .. try it and feed me back :)

If u found the blazing fast performance .. hit the thanks button ;)

h.motawee

Feb 12, 2011
Cairo
With this configuration, do you "lose" any messages? I often don't receive messaged with Sense 3.5 roms. :(

In the Rom thread u will find some people reporting this issue but with my settings I never lost a message .. try it and feed me back ;)

Last edited:

Igoritza

May 23, 2008
Belgrade
As I said in the topic .. I have tried every single rom out there try this with with my settings and u won't regret it I guarantee u that :)

The Rom's default CPU frequency is 1075 GHz and don't overlock it I tried overlocking it and it performe better under the 1075 GHz .. try it and feed me back :)

If u found the blazing fast performance .. hit the thanks button ;)

damn, I will need to go back to stock, cause my warranty is still active and the speaker is failing. and I was looking forward to this.

I know I had BIG problems with root, so before I try this one, are there any other faster root methods ? I know that there is 2 of them (ADB and/or Visionary temp root) but one would think that there should be an app for that by now .. ?

yasirrfc

Jan 1, 2012
hey i lose msgs when my phone is doing something like when wifi is on and im using some app then my msgs get lost even though my msg app is bulletproofed

h.motawee

Feb 12, 2011
Cairo
hey i lose msgs when my phone is doing something like when wifi is on and im using some app then my msgs get lost even though my msg app is bulletproofed

The sms problem is reported in the rom thread by few users and it has been said that ghostly sms solves the problem completely .. have a look @ this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=12765846

If you found this post helpful .. hit the thanks button ;)

Igoritza

May 23, 2008
Belgrade
Yeah, same here. I fixed my speaker this morning, all eager to flash it now and rooted the stock again, but this really brings me down. are ROM makers into it, or is this the final version .. ?

with Virtuous abandoning their ROM (RC3 is the last version of quattro I guess and it's been a long time without even news on developing) it kinda sucks to know that everyone is slowly abandoning this phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all .. I have been a registered user on xda for over a year now and after a really loooong rom trails, finally i have reached the best performance for our Desire Z .. Found the best rom with best setting so far

Whats amazing is that the rom is Sense 3.5 :eek: and it runs smoothly than any other rom i have ever seen even the de-sensed ones

p.s Before stating the roms i would like to thank all the devs over xda and other websites for the huge effort they put in these roms :)

I tried

1. MIUI
    2. CM7
    3. RunnyDoroid
    4. BeatMod BlissSense Hybrid
    5. LeeDroid_HD
    6. Virtuous Unity
    7. Virtuous Affinity
    8. Virtuous Sense
    9. Coredroid
    10. InsertCoin_Vision
    11. RCMix

And all ICS ports .. By far This rom with these settings r the best performance i have ever experienced on my Desire Z and i would like to share it with you .. So let's Start ;)

Rom Name:

Android Revolution HD™ 7.0.2 - Thanks to Napior and Mike1986

Kernel:

RCMix v12.2 Kernel

Tried Virtuous Kernel too (Didn't notice any speed differences but if you want to go with the Virtuous Kernel its running smoothly :)). Thanks to Zofox

Tweaks:

(What i installed not all available ones)

A. RCTweaks v2.0 (For All Sense 3.5 ROMs)

B. TouchPad Wake On

Lets go for the Settings ;)

Using V6 - SuperCharger

I used the MegaRAM 2 w/512mb option 9 in this script (Reported to have some issues with gaming - try option 6 for gaming please)

Gives me around 145MB of free Ram with 53 Apps installed. ;)

OC - I am using Set CPU just for monitoring (Dont change the frequencies just monitor the CPU frequency and temp)

I am using governer - smartass

*If you decided to go for the Virtuous Kernel (go for screen off profile scary and the default governor SavagedZen - Both with the same frequencies 245MHz to 1075 MHz)

SD-Booster (for SD card speed) Setting 8192KB

VM Heap Tool - Setting 32m

Used Swap following this tutorial (Thanks for masterismos for guiding me to the tutorial) - Used 512MB for EXT and 256MB for swap partition

Thats all .. Hope this topic will help Desire Z owners to have a reliable, fast, stable and enjoyable phone ;)

P.s if anyone got a better setting or an app i missed please tell me.

Note: If u got a USB mass storage problem when trying to hock ur phone to a laptop or a pc (the Only one i faced) - Use SD Dual Mount it will solve the problem like charm ;)

Benchmarks:

* With Antutu benchmark
    * Using the above settings

2gt3puf.png

Thanks to oVeRdOsE for the benchmarks
    For me CM7 and ILWT CM7 are the fastest ROM's for the G2/Desire Z.

Heres my Antutu benchmark on CM7 with ILWT kernel (stock SD card, overclocked to 1017 MHz, 96 apps, and no other mods).

Total Score of 2662
    RAM: 287
    CPU Floating Point: 298
    2D Graphics: 287
    3D Graphics: 677
    Database IO: 295
    SD Card Write: 52
    SD Card Read:92
    CPU Frequency: 1017MHz

Will be adding V6 Supercharger mod later today, to kill any hint of lag.

Edit: Installed V6 Supercharger and Antutu total score is now 2724.

Yea fastest by a really little amount .. but enjoying a sense 3.5 ROM with these stability and smoothness .. i think its way better than cm7 and ILWT CM7

Happy to hear that these settings make the Desire Z faster with any ROM ;)

Oh yeah am sure you'd be this picky if your scores where the higher, IMHO 2662 or 2724 vs 2489 is not a minor amount it shows a clear speed superiority !!!!!!!!!
    Especially when you don't have to d... around with additional kernels or mods :rolleyes:

Here we have below someone with a lower overclock spanking the OP's scores .......... :rolleyes:
    Total Score of 2687
    RAM: 315
    CPU Floating Point: 291
    2D Graphics: 288
    3D Graphics: 689
    Database IO: 270
    SD Card Write: 43
    SD Card Read: 117
    CPU Frequency: 998MHz

This is for RCMix Energized edition ROM http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1401560 straight out of the box no tweeks or additions. Memory card is the 8GB that came with the phone. Had it on the phone for about 6 weeks and it is absolutely stable.

screen_20120411_1530.jpg

Now in the interests of both fairness and accuracy I'll point out that I do have a cheap class10 SDcard and my Overclock is also a few points higher than yours (my OC app sticks to clear multiples based on stock multiplier) But taking both into account am still beating your scores on a stock ROM with no custom kernel or additional mods.

Not just that i get considerably more free RAM too, according to Titanium backup with 140 apps installed think about 15-20 of those are on my Sdcard :rolleyes:
    screen_20120411_1544.jpg

All this on completely stock Miui Gingerbread ROM :rolleyes:

To round off i'd just like to point out how synthetic benchmarks (Apps like Antutu) often do not translate into real world performance, as anyone with a few years experience doing anything useful with computers well knows. If your still convinced they do have a google search as the topic has been extensively researched since the 70's.
    Its ironic to point out but all synth benchmarks do in most cases is give the terminally competitive a somewhat limp stick to beat others with. they are nothing to get smug about.

laters gators :D

MOD EDIT: Edited for attitude!!!
    The major problem with this advice is even with all tweaks and kernel improvements, Revolution likes to slow down and become really stuttery after a couple weeks. True benchmarks on Antutu are useless when measuring usability. Not to mention 2900 isn't really anything that staggering when you can get barely 100 points below that on say, Virtuous Rom 2 with their Kernel10 clocked to 1.2ghz. Vellamo benchmark is the utility you want, as that's the official Quaalcom in house benchmark application designed to specifically to measure what the end user would find impacts "usability".

Some of this is good advice, but all in all largely elementary. The bottom line is Sense 3.5 roms simply will not run well in the long term due to hardware limitations. Hell, I'd even go so far to say that lightweight AOSP roms will eventually slow down after several months. I know Cyanogen started to after 3 months use.

Android has certain perks, but being a well optimized OS is not one of them.

Edit: Did the calc and apparently these tweaks give you a 100 point difference at .2ghz lower than Vrom2. That's neat and all, but really inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Battery life calculations are very eye of the beholder and it's not like you really need (or can) do a ton of super heavy lifting on this device.
    No it won't. As I said already, this is a hardware limitation. Sense 3.x+ is not designed for a device with one core and "512"mb ram. Don't use it. Don't bother trying to tweak your device to run it well. It's not going to happen in the long run.

While you're at it, learn how to use the edit button.
    p.s Set CPU attached to the topic.

thanks for you experiences, but please, don't include attachments that break the rules (e.g. paid version of setcpu).