• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Making Apple's 3.5mm EarPods (partially) work with the LG V20 workaround

Search This thread

Merazomo

Aug 14, 2014
The only set of 3.5mm wired earbuds I have ever tried on my H910 LG V20 that haven't worked, are the Apple EarPods that I purchased a few days ago. Wired earbuds are so cheap nowadays you don't need to worry about getting a decent pair for close to nothing; however, I like to be able to connect whatever I have at my disposal at any given time (people might still have some spare EarPods laying around somewhere). My earbuds were on their way out, so I decided to go to Best Buy to look for another pair. The Apple EarPods were on sale for $7 (I wouldn't pay more than that), so I picked up a pair. I remember back when I was using the iPhone 6s, these EarPods came with it and they had a really good bass.

When connecting these EarPods to my V20 directly as they are, they sound distorted, the volume is almost at mute, etc. When pressing the Microphone button though, they sound pretty good. I tried a 3.5mm TRS headphone jack extension and the EarPods work great; I'm not sure if there's something different with the Microphone part that the 3.5mm TRS jack extension fixes by ignoring/bypassing that specific section (the EarPods have a TRRS audio plug, while the extension I used is TRS); however, it makes the EarPods function well for listening to music at least.

SKIP ALL MY B.S. AND GO TO THE WORKAROUND:

1. Get a 3.5mm TRS headphone jack extension/adapter to use with the EarPods (who knows, maybe a TRRS extension will also work)
or
2. Press down the microphone button temporarily with tape (I don't think the EarPod's Mic or volume buttons work with this phone anyway)

IMG_20210107_095825-98.jpg

Reactions: ssnova

ssnova

Mar 25, 2013
Thanks for sharing this, I may personally try this out one day.

I've got a pair of lightning earpods, which would probably be more of a hurdle or more trouble than it's worth to try and get working.

I was shocked to see that you got the pair for only $7! After reading that I was going go out and consider picking up a pair but I see that Best Buy has raised their prices back to $20.

Related but sort of off topic... had a hard time finding a decent wired earbud with a microphone... as bluetooth earbuds struggle to keep up with all day office use in conference calls. So I was looking at the Sony MDRXB55AP's... but I've seen enough reviews where users had one side stop working after a month or so that it made me hesitant. So I thought about the original Apple Earpods and read your thread.

Reactions: Merazomo

Merazomo

Aug 14, 2014

I've got a pair of lightning earpods, which would probably be more of a hurdle or more trouble than it's worth to try and get working.

I was shocked to see that you got the pair for only $7! After reading that I was going go out and consider picking up a pair but I see that Best Buy has raised their prices back to $20.

Related but sort of off topic... had a hard time finding a decent wired earbud with a microphone... as bluetooth earbuds struggle to keep up with all day office use in conference calls. So I was looking at the Sony MDRXB55AP's... but I've seen enough reviews where users had one side stop working after a month or so that it made me hesitant. So I thought about the original Apple Earpods and read your thread.
Although I don't use my V20 anymore, I still use those same 3.5mm earpods on my PC, and the microphone sounds amazing when recording audio. I don't know what is it about these wired earbuds, but in terms of headphone and mic quality, they're on par with apple's first gen bluetooth airpods. Originally they wouldn't work very well with my PC either since the earpods are a 2-in-1 (headphone and microphone), so neither the headphone or mic inputs on my PC would recognize them as an actual headset; mic wouldn't work. I finally decided to purchase a "usb-c female to usb male adapter," and an "apple usb-c to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter," so I could connect the 3.5mm jack to those 2; now my PC recognizes the apple earpods as a "USB Headset," and the microphone works great. I've been using these earpods everyday for almost a year now with no issues whatsoever since I don't have speakers on my computer.

After I purchased my earpods for $7, I bought another pair from eBay for $10.99 since they went up in price again; I never though I would pay more than $7 for these, but they're durable and I got them to work with my PC so why not. The ones from Ebay didn't come with the original packaging; rather a generic transparent plastic box but I can confirm mine were original. Fakes have lower quality audio and the mic sounds pretty bad, so I know the spares are good. Both adapters were around $6 each so I paid a little bit over $20 with the earpods included. I just typed "authentic oem apple iphone ear pods" on eBay and purchased the $10.99 ones.

Reactions: ssnova

ssnova

Mar 25, 2013
Although I don't use my V20 anymore, I still use those same 3.5mm earpods on my PC, and the microphone sounds amazing when recording audio. I don't know what is it about these wired earbuds, but in terms of headphone and mic quality, they're on par with apple's first gen bluetooth airpods. Originally they wouldn't work very well with my PC either since the earpods are a 2-in-1 (headphone and microphone), so neither the headphone or mic inputs on my PC would recognize them as an actual headset; mic wouldn't work. I finally decided to purchase a "usb-c female to usb male adapter," and an "apple usb-c to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter," so I could connect the 3.5mm jack to those 2; now my PC recognizes the apple earpods as a "USB Headset," and the microphone works great. I've been using these earpods everyday for almost a year now with no issues whatsoever since I don't have speakers on my computer.

After I purchased my earpods for $7, I bought another pair from eBay for $10.99 since they went up in price again; I never though I would pay more than $7 for these, but they're durable and I got them to work with my PC so why not. The ones from Ebay didn't come with the original packaging; rather a generic transparent plastic box but I can confirm mine were original. Fakes have lower quality audio and the mic sounds pretty bad, so I know the spares are good. Both adapters were around $6 each so I paid a little bit over $20 with the earpods included. I just typed "authentic oem apple iphone ear pods" on eBay and purchased the $10.99 ones.

I went to search for some oem apple wired earpods and see that they are currently about $15 on Amazon. That's a nifty work around you did to get the Apple earpods to work on your pc. I would probably have to consider that as well, especially since my older machine does not have the combined jack.

I recently put on my lightning wired earpods, as it had been a long time. They work good, except they tend to fall out easily for my ears, only issue I have with them, and that's particular to my ears.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The only set of 3.5mm wired earbuds I have ever tried on my H910 LG V20 that haven't worked, are the Apple EarPods that I purchased a few days ago. Wired earbuds are so cheap nowadays you don't need to worry about getting a decent pair for close to nothing; however, I like to be able to connect whatever I have at my disposal at any given time (people might still have some spare EarPods laying around somewhere). My earbuds were on their way out, so I decided to go to Best Buy to look for another pair. The Apple EarPods were on sale for $7 (I wouldn't pay more than that), so I picked up a pair. I remember back when I was using the iPhone 6s, these EarPods came with it and they had a really good bass.

When connecting these EarPods to my V20 directly as they are, they sound distorted, the volume is almost at mute, etc. When pressing the Microphone button though, they sound pretty good. I tried a 3.5mm TRS headphone jack extension and the EarPods work great; I'm not sure if there's something different with the Microphone part that the 3.5mm TRS jack extension fixes by ignoring/bypassing that specific section (the EarPods have a TRRS audio plug, while the extension I used is TRS); however, it makes the EarPods function well for listening to music at least.

SKIP ALL MY B.S. AND GO TO THE WORKAROUND:

1. Get a 3.5mm TRS headphone jack extension/adapter to use with the EarPods (who knows, maybe a TRRS extension will also work)
    or
    2. Press down the microphone button temporarily with tape (I don't think the EarPod's Mic or volume buttons work with this phone anyway)

IMG_20210107_095825-98.jpg