Manual OTA Update - NO ROOT

Search This thread

Camazza

Jun 23, 2009
Rovigo
Here's how to sideload the update without ROOT.

EDIT: added a more precise description of every step

- Enter Bootloader (swipe top left-bottom right as soon as the LG logo pops up on boot)
- Unlock bootloader (fastboot oem unlock) and boot the watch normally once
- Turn off and re-enter bootloader
- Flash 5.0.1 Stock Recovery (fastboot flash recovery filename.img)
- Enter recovery and ADB sideload the update (tap the android, select install update from ADB and enter adb sideload filename.zip)
- Done!

If this was helpful to you, feel free to press the Thanks button :good:

Last edited:

b0gd4n

Jul 6, 2009
London

- Unlock bootloader
- Flash 5.0.1 Stock Recovery
- Enter recovery and ADB sideload the update
- Done!

ok, so I unlocked the bootloader, flashed the 5.0.1 recovery, then booted to recovery, selected the adb sideload (the watch now says "Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"..."

however, in CMD, adb devices is not returning anything. there is no 'new devices connected' sound in windows when removing/replacing the watch from the cradle.

can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong?

EDIT:

nevermind, I did fastboot flash recovery... not adb boot recovery..

it's fine, uploading zip now.

Last edited:
Reactions: mchj

mchj

Apr 2, 2012
San José
ok, so I unlocked the bootloader, flashed the 5.0.1 recovery, then booted to recovery, selected the adb sideload (the watch now says "Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"..."

however, in CMD, adb devices is not returning anything. there is no 'new devices connected' sound in windows when removing/replacing the watch from the cradle.

can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong?

EDIT:

nevermind, I did fastboot flash recovery... not adb boot recovery..

it's fine, uploading zip now.

Same

b0gd4n

Jul 6, 2009
London
Wait, what's the correct command for flashing recovery if it is not fastboot flash .img?

I did fastboot flash recovery.img, and it looked like it was fine, but when I rebooted to recovery and started adb sideload, the pc did not recognise the device.
However, doing fastboot boot recovery.img, it booted straight to the recovery image and starting sideload was fine.

MorgaNet

Nov 30, 2011
Can you list the correct steps (with commands) to do in order to flash it?
I'm not expert and I prefer to follow literally your steps.
Thx

Reactions: alextabata

Camazza

Jun 23, 2009
Rovigo
may I ask you for some help how did you download the 5.0.1 recovery? I am struggling with ezdownloader

Are you having problems downloading it through dev-host? Be careful as there are two download buttons on that page, one is legit and the other is adware and popups.

As b0gd4n said, there may be a tick box to uncheck.

Last edited:

Koopa777

May 18, 2012
I did fastboot flash recovery.img, and it looked like it was fine, but when I rebooted to recovery and started adb sideload, the pc did not recognise the device.
However, doing fastboot boot recovery.img, it booted straight to the recovery image and starting sideload was fine.

But boot is kernel partition...How is that allowed? Can anyone else confirm that is what we are supposed to do? Can you boot into system fine afterwards?

b0gd4n

Jul 6, 2009
London
Can you list the correct steps (with commands) to do in order to flash it?
I'm not expert and I prefer to follow literally your steps.
Thx

@kanzone wrote:
1. adb reboot bootloader
2. fastboot oem unlock
3. fastboot boot recoveryll.bin
4. Select adb sideload then
adb sideload 149e0c34d0ab10d3e356d6301915dcc04552d9db.signed-lenok-LWX48P-from-KNX01R.149e0c34.zip
5. Done
6. Reboot to fastboot
7. fastbook oem lock

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

But boot is kernel partition...How is that allowed? Can anyone else confirm that is what we are supposed to do? Can you boot into system fine afterwards?

I did exact that and I am now running 5.0.1 on my watch.

Reactions: MorgaNet

MorgaNet

Nov 30, 2011
@kanzone wrote:
1. adb reboot bootloader
2. fastboot oem unlock
3. fastboot boot recoveryll.bin
4. Select adb sideload then
adb sideload 149e0c34d0ab10d3e356d6301915dcc04552d9db.signed-lenok-LWX48P-from-KNX01R.149e0c34.zip
5. Done
6. Reboot to fastboot
7. fastbook oem lock

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

I did exact that and I am now running 5.0.1 on my watch.

Perfect. Thank you!

Camazza

Jun 23, 2009
Rovigo
To everyone having trouble with the process, I edited the first post.

Please be careful if you don't know your way around ADB and Fastboot. While it's technically a safe procedure, there is always room for total screwup!

b0gd4n

Jul 6, 2009
London

- Enter Bootloader (swipe top left-bottom right as soon as the LG logo pops up on boot)
- Enter recovery and ADB sideload the update (tap the android, select install update from ADB and enter adb sideload filename.zip)
- Done!

the first time, I did just those steps and when I got to start adb sideload, my pc will not recognise that any device was plugged in, therefore, unable to do any abd commands.
I needed to do fastboot boot recovery.img instead, and this booted me straight to the image. Now, when I started the sideload feature, the pc recognised the watch straight away, and was able to sideload the update.

Camazza

Jun 23, 2009
Rovigo
the first time, I did just those steps and when I got to start adb sideload, my pc will not recognise that any device was plugged in, therefore, unable to do any abd commands.
I needed to do fastboot boot recovery.img instead, and this booted me straight to the image. Now, when I started the sideload feature, the pc recognised the watch straight away, and was able to sideload the update.

I guess it didn't flash properly the first time. Issuing the boot command makes a lot of sense nonetheless, as it boots straight to the new recovery without even flashing it. I'm happy you worked it out in the end.

Reactions: b0gd4n

dialanothernumb

Jun 30, 2004
sideload problem

Thanks to all the contributors so far.

I installed the new recovery no problem. When I boot into recovery from bootloader menu and try to sideload the zip file, I get nothing other than, in Terminal, the adb command help listings, like I typed in the wrong command. Here is what I input

I can type 'adb devices' and my device is listed, but for some reason I am having a problem with the sideload command. Any advice?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- Done!

Also, you might have to reinstall the ADB drivers since the device will be identified as Dory (LG G Watch) when sideload of 5.0.1 recovery is enabled. (LG's fault) :)
    Can you tell me how you reinstalled the ADB driver and where you got it from?

Thanks!

Download it from here... http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html . Then go to your device manager on your pc and find the watch listed.. double click on it and click update driver. Browse to the directory you unzipped the ADB driver in and choose it.
    I was trying to access recovery by scrolling then selecting recovery, but the watch wouldn't communicate with the PC anymore that way (device manager wouldn't even list it) and I couldn't sideload the update zip.

Instead, I had to send the command (fastboot boot recovery.img) manually and once that showed the recovery screen, I saw my watch appear in device manager again (I had to reinstall the ADB driver) and that allowed me to sideload the update zip.

Also, for those new to this, make sure to relock your bootloader when you are done.
    fastboot oem lock
    im having adb issues. it gets to about 50% transfer then quits, total xfer 1.00x and i just get signature verification error on the watch. any ideas?

download ota update from other link it has to be 57.2mb not update.zip file with 52.4mb