Manual OTA Update - NO ROOT

Search This thread

Camazza

Jun 23, 2009
Rovigo
Thanks to all the contributors so far.

I installed the new recovery no problem. When I boot into recovery from bootloader menu and try to sideload the zip file, I get nothing other than, in Terminal, the adb command help listings, like I typed in the wrong command. Here is what I input
adb sideload 149e0c34d0ab10d3e356d6301915dcc04552d9db.signed-lenok-LWX48P-from-KNX01R.149e0c34.zip

I can type 'adb devices' and my device is listed, but for some reason I am having a problem with the sideload command. Any advice?
My first advice would be to rename the ZIP file to something more manageable. Sometimes dots and dashes are interpreted as arguments or file extensions.

Moe5508

Jun 18, 2007
www.manicorp.com
I just can't seem to get my adb devices command to run...no device is listed...tried on Windows 10 Tech Preview...Windows 7 32-bit...no such luck...fastboot runs just fine though...

dialanothernumb

Jun 30, 2004
Thanks, good advice. I do notice that add devices returns "offline" and when in recovery, adb devices returns nothing (blank) Maybe I should reinstall the SDK?

scanny

May 26, 2008
Even after run fastboot boot recoveryll.img adb doesn't recognize the watch! How can i solve?

Kickoff

Jun 1, 2007
Budapest
I managed to flash the new recovery, adb works, but sideload zip returns with "Total xfer: 1.34x"
What can I do?

shadow_empire1

Oct 23, 2007
Vienna
Even after run fastboot boot recoveryll.img adb doesn't recognize the watch! How can i solve?

having the same issue.
its not recognized anymore:
>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

also in windows 8.1 the G Watch R drivers are not found anymore (adb debugging enabled)

Last edited:

shadow_empire1

Oct 23, 2007
Vienna

intersectRaven

Mar 13, 2010
www.intersectraven.net
To everyone wondering why the command:

fastboot flash recovery.img

doesn't work, it's because you're missing a parameter. It should be:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

As to why the command:

fastboot boot recovery.img

works, that's because you're instructing the bootloader to TEMPORARILY boot using the image. If you restart afterwards, there's no change and it'll use existing boot image. It's actually a good way of testing a kernel when you're developing since it preserves your existing boot image which is used after a restart. :)

Reactions: lbrito

Skitals

Sep 7, 2010
I did fastboot flash recovery.img, and it looked like it was fine, but when I rebooted to recovery and started adb sideload, the pc did not recognise the device.
However, doing fastboot boot recovery.img, it booted straight to the recovery image and starting sideload was fine.

THANK YOU! No matter what I did, adb would not detect any devices from recovery. But when I do a fastboot boot recoveryll.img, it works straight away and the adb sideload works!

I take it back... the sideload works but it wouldnt boot. What actually fixed the problem was updating my adb and fastboot binaries! Now adb connects while in recovery booting the normal way.

If anyone else just installed adb and fastboot via "15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.2", be advised it is NOT the latest version of adb and fastboot! Still easiest to install that way, and overwrite the 4 files from your install dir.

Last edited:

lbrito

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for this important bit of information!

To everyone wondering why the command:

fastboot flash recovery.img

doesn't work, it's because you're missing a parameter. It should be:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

As to why the command:

fastboot boot recovery.img

works, that's because you're instructing the bootloader to TEMPORARILY boot using the image. If you restart afterwards, there's no change and it'll use existing boot image. It's actually a good way of testing a kernel when you're developing since it preserves your existing boot image which is used after a restart. :)

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
I was trying to access recovery by scrolling then selecting recovery, but the watch wouldn't communicate with the PC anymore that way (device manager wouldn't even list it) and I couldn't sideload the update zip.

Instead, I had to send the command (fastboot boot recovery.img) manually and once that showed the recovery screen, I saw my watch appear in device manager again (I had to reinstall the ADB driver) and that allowed me to sideload the update zip.

Also, for those new to this, make sure to relock your bootloader when you are done.
fastboot oem lock

Last edited:

Kickoff

Jun 1, 2007
Budapest
Finally I managed to install the update. I had to update the boot.img as well. Adb sideload went well with the new recovery then. Watch ist upgrading now...

b0geyman

Jan 14, 2007
Can you tell me how you reinstalled the ADB driver and where you got it from?

Thanks!

I was trying to access recovery by scrolling then selecting recovery, but the watch wouldn't communicate with the PC anymore that way (device manager wouldn't even list it) and I couldn't sideload the update zip.

Instead, I had to send the command (fastboot boot recovery.img) manually and once that showed the recovery screen, I saw my watch appear in device manager again (I had to reinstall the ADB driver) and that allowed me to sideload the update zip.

Also, for those new to this, make sure to relock your bootloader when you are done.
fastboot oem lock

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia

b0geyman

Jan 14, 2007
I tried that and it said "Windows was unable to install your G Watch R / Windows could not find driver software for your device"

I can boot to recovery and select adb sideload just fine, but adb cannot find the device.

Download it from here... http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html . Then go to your device manager on your pc and find the watch listed.. double click on it and click update driver. Browse to the directory you unzipped the ADB driver in and choose it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's how to sideload the update without ROOT.

EDIT: added a more precise description of every step

- Enter Bootloader (swipe top left-bottom right as soon as the LG logo pops up on boot)
    - Unlock bootloader (fastboot oem unlock) and boot the watch normally once
    - Turn off and re-enter bootloader
    - Flash 5.0.1 Stock Recovery (fastboot flash recovery filename.img)
    - Enter recovery and ADB sideload the update (tap the android, select install update from ADB and enter adb sideload filename.zip)
    - Done!

If this was helpful to you, feel free to press the Thanks button :good:
    Also, you might have to reinstall the ADB drivers since the device will be identified as Dory (LG G Watch) when sideload of 5.0.1 recovery is enabled. (LG's fault) :)
    Can you tell me how you reinstalled the ADB driver and where you got it from?

Thanks!

Download it from here... http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html . Then go to your device manager on your pc and find the watch listed.. double click on it and click update driver. Browse to the directory you unzipped the ADB driver in and choose it.

fastboot oem lock
    im having adb issues. it gets to about 50% transfer then quits, total xfer 1.00x and i just get signature verification error on the watch. any ideas?

download ota update from other link it has to be 57.2mb not update.zip file with 52.4mb