Manual OTA Update - NO ROOT

Search This thread

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
I tried that and it said "Windows was unable to install your G Watch R / Windows could not find driver software for your device"

I can boot to recovery and select adb sideload just fine, but adb cannot find the device.
You're choosing the option for Windows to search that directory. You have to choose the option to manually select the driver. .

d91ad9f08ba3aa87529600a8e49a2c9e.jpg

a63685bea9243dfbd61b7e833a5e92eb.jpg

Click have disk and load the driver (android_winusb.inf).. choose the first one of the 3 that show up on the list. Android ADB Interface.

Last edited:

mtuckman

Jan 28, 2011
I managed to both boot into the new recovery as well as install it, can boot into recovery, but every time I try to do the sideload, I get

Code:
MTMacBook15:Downloads michael$ adb devices
List of devices attached 
[COLOR="Red"]411KPED0082708	sideload[/COLOR]

MTMacBook15:Downloads michael$ adb sideload KNX01R.zip
[COLOR="Red"]error: protocol fault (no status)
error: protocol fault (no status)[/COLOR]
MTMacBook15:Downloads michael$

Finally just kept resetting the watch and checking the System Update in Settings and it downloaded!!!! This is a really great update...

depeche101

Apr 10, 2007
Any one having driver issues, this worked for me.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/g-watch/help/how-to-fix-driver-problems-t2809673

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Does anyone have a link to 4.4W.2? I'm still stuck on 4.4W.1, and if I'm reading right the update only from 4.4W.2 -> 5.0.1.

Thanks!

HI guys.
I had the problem of phone not seeing the GWR... FInally today morning I got the watch paired to the phone but the watch kept having the cloud sign.. anyway..I thought of updating manually.
I have the ADB installed. recovery and OTA updated.
I boot into the bootloadet, I could easily flash the recoveryll.img
but now I can't sideload the OTA.
I boot into recovery and tap the green android and choose the sideload option, on the computer I type adb sideload update.zip ( I renamed the 149e0c34d0ab10d3e356d6301915dcc04552d9db.signed-lenok-LWX48P-from-KNX01R.149e0c34 to update.zip) and I get:
loading: update.zip
error: device not found

help needed:) Obviously I'm doing something wrong...
on the watch I have enabled developer options and adb debugging...shoudl I disable it?

dep

dontpannic

May 14, 2008
South East London
I need help!

I downloaded the OTA update zip, the boot.img, and the recovery.img.

Using adb 1.0.32:

fastboot oem unlock
fastboot boot recoveryll.img
apply update from adb
adb sideload image.zip

it applies successfully.

I then swipe to reboot system now, and I get a black screen on the watch.

I reboot it, I get the LG icon with the unlock icon, then goes to a black screen again.

It won't even boot recovery mode - black screen again.

I'm using a mac. Will try again on a windows machine tomorrow just in case, but what am I doing wrong?

I notice there's a system dump in the main forum of 4.4W.2 - how can I use this (along with the 4.4W2 recovery and boot images) to restore the watch to stock?

Cheers!

Thanks for all the hints, for me it worked with the following additions:

0a. download and install latest Google adb drivers and download adb/fastboot v. 1.0.32.
0b. activate developer mode on watch, assign driver via windows device manager and confirm adb usb access for pc
1. adb reboot bootloader
2. fastboot oem unlock
2a. reboot and pair watch, repeat step 0
2b. activate developer mode on watch again and confirm adb usb access for pc
2b. adb reboot bootloader
3. fastboot boot recoveryll.bin
3a. assign driver via windows device manager
3b. touch screen one to reach fastboot menu
3c. shorten the filename 149e0c34d0ab10d3e356d6301915dcc04552d9db.signed-lenok-LWX48P-from-KNX01R.149e0c34.zip by rename eg. to lenok-LWX48P-from-KNX01R.zip
4. Select adb sideload then (swipe down and then swipe left)
adb sideload lenok-LWX48P-from-KNX01R.zip
5. Done
6. Reboot to fastboot
7. fastbook oem lock
8. with regard to the battery problem reports, I made another factory reset.

Last edited:

olaffe

Mar 23, 2005
I need help!

I downloaded the OTA update zip, the boot.img, and the recovery.img.

Using adb 1.0.32:

fastboot oem unlock
fastboot boot recoveryll.img
apply update from adb
adb sideload image.zip

it applies successfully.

I then swipe to reboot system now, and I get a black screen on the watch.

I reboot it, I get the LG icon with the unlock icon, then goes to a black screen again.

It won't even boot recovery mode - black screen again.

I'm using a mac. Will try again on a windows machine tomorrow just in case, but what am I doing wrong?

I notice there's a system dump in the main forum of 4.4W.2 - how can I use this (along with the 4.4W2 recovery and boot images) to restore the watch to stock?

Cheers!

Had the same thing...
To resolve, I bootet into fastboot, relocked the bootloader and it worked after that

Chrz, Olaf

smader12

Oct 29, 2009
Detroit
Finally Worked

Even after following all the steps I found here and else where, adb still did not recognize the watch (fastboot was fine). Finally worked if I updated the driver software while having the watch connected in Reovery->ADB Sideload mode. I used the ADB Composite option (I had to uncheck something on the screen to be able to see this option). After this, all is good.

Other Notes:
---------------
I also had ADB Debug turned on in Developer options on the watch (tap the version about 7 times to enable)--not sure if this is needed or not.
This requires adb 1.0.32, so sideloading wouldn't work from the linux distro I have because the latest version of adb available is 1.0.31.

Reactions: tonu42

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
Even after following all the steps I found here and else where, adb still did not recognize the watch (fastboot was fine). Finally worked if I updated the driver software while having the watch connected in Reovery->ADB Sideload mode. I used the ADB Composite option (I had to uncheck something on the screen to be able to see this option). After this, all is good.

Other Notes:
---------------
I also had ADB Debug turned on in Developer options on the watch (tap the version about 7 times to enable)--not sure if this is needed or not.
This requires adb 1.0.32, so sideloading wouldn't work from the linux distro I have because the latest version of adb available is 1.0.31.

Thats helpful to know, what distro are you on? I'm on the latest Ubuntu and couldn't get sideload to function properly.

smader12

Oct 29, 2009
Detroit
I'm on the light weight Ubuntu, Iubuntu. I checked for an update of adb using sudo apt-get, but it said I was on the most current version.

hatefuel19

Sep 23, 2010
Lex
For anyone having driver issues (can't connect with adb after flashing recovery), Try the attached file.

EDIT: Attachment was too big. Add the following to the android_winusb.inf under the [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] sections

;G Watch R
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001&MI_01

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawke84

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
For anyone having driver issues (can't connect with adb after flashing recovery), Try the attached file.

EDIT: Attachment was too big. Add the following to the android_winusb.inf under the [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] sections

;G Watch R
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001&MI_01

Installing drivers isnt this hard, what on earth are you doing? Universal ADB drivers is the way to go.....

hatefuel19

Sep 23, 2010
Lex
Hardware device I'd wasn't in universal driver, at least not the one I found. Added those lines to inf to get driver to install.

woody4165

Nov 30, 2011
Rome
Xiaomi Poco F1
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Here's how to sideload the update without ROOT.

EDIT: added a more precise description of every step

- Enter Bootloader (swipe top left-bottom right as soon as the LG logo pops up on boot)
- Unlock bootloader (fastboot oem unlock) and boot the watch normally once
- Turn off and re-enter bootloader
- Flash 5.0.1 Stock Recovery (fastboot flash recovery filename.img)
- Enter recovery and ADB sideload the update (tap the android, select install update from ADB and enter adb sideload filename.zip)
- Done!

If this was helpful to you, feel free to press the Thanks button :good:

Hi I followed the link, but the recovery are for LG G Watch R, are the same also for LG G watch?

Thanks
Woody

Hawke84

Jan 14, 2010
Worthing, UK
im having adb issues. it gets to about 50% transfer then quits, total xfer 1.00x and i just get signature verification error on the watch. any ideas?

Hawke84

Jan 14, 2010
Worthing, UK
download ota update from other link it has to be 57.2mb not update.zip file with 52.4mb

tried that one, booting to twrp i get a more detailed error message from the watch, basically saying my build number and fingerprint do not match what is expected, im in the UK so wondering if different builds are out there and this build is only for some not all?

im build LWX49K

belkre

Mar 24, 2008
I was having issues where it would stall out at about 9% I resolved these issues by switching from a usb 3 to usb 2 port hope this helps someone else.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's how to sideload the update without ROOT.

EDIT: added a more precise description of every step

- Enter Bootloader (swipe top left-bottom right as soon as the LG logo pops up on boot)
    - Unlock bootloader (fastboot oem unlock) and boot the watch normally once
    - Turn off and re-enter bootloader
    - Flash 5.0.1 Stock Recovery (fastboot flash recovery filename.img)
    - Enter recovery and ADB sideload the update (tap the android, select install update from ADB and enter adb sideload filename.zip)
    - Done!

If this was helpful to you, feel free to press the Thanks button :good:
    Also, you might have to reinstall the ADB drivers since the device will be identified as Dory (LG G Watch) when sideload of 5.0.1 recovery is enabled. (LG's fault) :)
    Can you tell me how you reinstalled the ADB driver and where you got it from?

Thanks!

Download it from here... http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html . Then go to your device manager on your pc and find the watch listed.. double click on it and click update driver. Browse to the directory you unzipped the ADB driver in and choose it.
    I was trying to access recovery by scrolling then selecting recovery, but the watch wouldn't communicate with the PC anymore that way (device manager wouldn't even list it) and I couldn't sideload the update zip.

Instead, I had to send the command (fastboot boot recovery.img) manually and once that showed the recovery screen, I saw my watch appear in device manager again (I had to reinstall the ADB driver) and that allowed me to sideload the update zip.

Also, for those new to this, make sure to relock your bootloader when you are done.
    fastboot oem lock
    im having adb issues. it gets to about 50% transfer then quits, total xfer 1.00x and i just get signature verification error on the watch. any ideas?

download ota update from other link it has to be 57.2mb not update.zip file with 52.4mb