• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Manual updates arrive for Pixel Buds A-Series alongside new features "No more just waiting for it to happen on its own"

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
https://www.androidpolice.com/pixel-buds-a-series-manual-updates/

Manual updates arrive for Pixel Buds A-Series alongside new features​

BY SCOTT SCRIVENSPUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
Bass boost and loudness compensation are among the latest enhancements

We heard back in February this year that manual firmware updates for the Pixel Buds A-Series were in the works, but it's taken until now for Google to start rolling it out. At the same time, the cheap but cheerful true wireless earbuds also learn a few new tricks, with enhanced bass boost, loudness compensation, and some nifty new device-switching functionality.

Google hasn't officially announced the rollout of manual updates, but our own Daniel Bader noticed the option on his Pixel 6 Pro just today. In the settings for his Pixel Buds A-Series, accessible via the Bluetooth menu, the top menu item now reads "Firmware update available - Tap to start." This leads to a new splash page informing that the update may take up to 15 minutes and that the buds need to be securely placed in the case for the duration.

Unfortunately, it appears as though this new manual update method is rolling out as a server-side change, so even updating the Pixel Buds app to the latest version (1.0.411945615) won't guarantee that you get it yet. After sideloading it (via APK Mirror), I'm still only able to check the automatic update status in the More settings > Firmware update.

Whichever way the latest Pixel Buds A-Series update arrives on your device, version 282 brings with it some interesting tweaks. As we briefly mentioned as part of our Pixel feature drop coverage, the bass boost feature is now improved with a 4-level slider, bass and treble can be adjusted at lower volume with 'Loudness compensation,' and the buds will now more intelligently switch between devices. If they can't find the last device they connected to, they'll automatically search for the next-last when they're taken out of the case, which could save you some faffing. Google says you'll be asked to allow the 'Nearby devices' permission with the new update, just in case you wonder why that pops up.

Look out for the latest update to both the buds and the app over the next few days.

Previous article:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/03/googles-pixel-buds-may-soon-support-manual-updates/

BY RYNE HAGERPUBLISHED FEB 03, 2021
No more just waiting for it to happen on its own

Google's latest Pixel Buds were pretty polarizing when they landed last year, months after their announcement. Like them or hate them, one feature has been almost universally resented: The fact that updates are an automatic process with no user control. They just kind of happen while the buds are connected, and you can't do much to speed up the process. But according to a recent teardown, manual updates may soon be possible.

A teardown of the latest version of the Pixel Buds app, performed by 9to5Google earlier today, revealed a handful of new strings buried inside the app, which point to a manual update feature under development. It's early, and the particulars are always subject to change when it comes to teardowns, but the new feature could be as simple as a button you tap to trigger the update process for a pair of connected Pixel Buds.

Based on the details divined so far, the option will appear in the Settings app on Pixels, while other devices will get it in the Pixel Buds app itself. Error support via a notification is also present, indicating if the process runs into trouble.

So far, the feature isn't live yet. It isn't clear if that's because it hasn't rolled out, or if it's simply because the Pixel Buds haven't had an update since September. It looks like that whole "feature drop" thing for the buds didn't quite pan out — or Google hasn't stuck to the same sort of schedule it does for its quarterly Pixel feature drops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lughnasadh

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
"Manual" update would imply that they offer an update file that can be loaded... *manually* using standard bluetooth firmware update tools. Obviously not going to be the case here.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
You guys actually have your buds? I'm still waiting on mine from my Pixel 6 Pro purchase.
Sure do. I ordered on October 19th and received our A-series Pixel Buds (23rd) before we got our phones (27th). I like mine much better than the Samsung Buds+ I had before - mostly because the Buds+ kept falling out of my ears, and I don't think the software was as tightly integrated or smooth with my at the time Note 10+ as the Pixel Buds A-series are with the Pixels.

When did you order your P6P?

Reactions: galaxys

ScrapMaker

Jan 23, 2008
I ordered my P6P much earlier, but Google sent me the offer code later, and I didn't see it until NOV 10. I received my comply fit foam tips a while back, but still no movement from the actual buds.

1638996497415.png

• Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
I ordered my P6P much earlier, but Google sent me the offer code later, and I didn't see it until NOV 10. I received my comply fit foam tips a while back, but still no movement from the actual buds.
Ah. Aigh. Well, I hope you like them once you get them. I didn't know about Comply fit foam tips. Out of stock in the Google Store Get a 404 error at least on the manufacturer's site for the ones for the Pixel Buds A-series. Ah, they did something weird when I clicked on the link, it had the URL in there several times in a row - correct URL. Interesting and good to know, thanks. Have you had Comply Fit Foam Tips before? Worth it?

intp.pisces

Account currently disabled
Aug 4, 2018
Google Pixel 6 Pro
"Manual" update would imply that they offer an update file that can be loaded... *manually* using standard bluetooth firmware update tools. Obviously not going to be the case here.
Agreed. Closest things they got to that is OTA extended control. Specifically the 'build label to apply' seems to imply you're choosing the firmware to use but that's in debug and you need a url TO the firmware, so it's prob for Google Devs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211209-012741.png
    Screenshot_20211209-012741.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20211209-012226.png
    Screenshot_20211209-012226.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20211209-012238.png
    Screenshot_20211209-012238.png
    188 KB · Views: 30

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You guys actually have your buds? I'm still waiting on mine from my Pixel 6 Pro purchase.
    My buds came in with the phone in the same package. Haven't received the update yet. I have tried checking for one and get nothing
    Coincidentally, just received mine today from FedEx!
    Nice, did you get shipping updates before today, or did it just show up without warning?
    https://www.androidpolice.com/pixel-buds-a-series-manual-updates/

Manual updates arrive for Pixel Buds A-Series alongside new features​

BY SCOTT SCRIVENSPUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
    Bass boost and loudness compensation are among the latest enhancements

We heard back in February this year that manual firmware updates for the Pixel Buds A-Series were in the works, but it's taken until now for Google to start rolling it out. At the same time, the cheap but cheerful true wireless earbuds also learn a few new tricks, with enhanced bass boost, loudness compensation, and some nifty new device-switching functionality.

Google hasn't officially announced the rollout of manual updates, but our own Daniel Bader noticed the option on his Pixel 6 Pro just today. In the settings for his Pixel Buds A-Series, accessible via the Bluetooth menu, the top menu item now reads "Firmware update available - Tap to start." This leads to a new splash page informing that the update may take up to 15 minutes and that the buds need to be securely placed in the case for the duration.

Unfortunately, it appears as though this new manual update method is rolling out as a server-side change, so even updating the Pixel Buds app to the latest version (1.0.411945615) won't guarantee that you get it yet. After sideloading it (via APK Mirror), I'm still only able to check the automatic update status in the More settings > Firmware update.

Whichever way the latest Pixel Buds A-Series update arrives on your device, version 282 brings with it some interesting tweaks. As we briefly mentioned as part of our Pixel feature drop coverage, the bass boost feature is now improved with a 4-level slider, bass and treble can be adjusted at lower volume with 'Loudness compensation,' and the buds will now more intelligently switch between devices. If they can't find the last device they connected to, they'll automatically search for the next-last when they're taken out of the case, which could save you some faffing. Google says you'll be asked to allow the 'Nearby devices' permission with the new update, just in case you wonder why that pops up.

Look out for the latest update to both the buds and the app over the next few days.

Previous article:
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/03/googles-pixel-buds-may-soon-support-manual-updates/

BY RYNE HAGERPUBLISHED FEB 03, 2021
    No more just waiting for it to happen on its own

Google's latest Pixel Buds were pretty polarizing when they landed last year, months after their announcement. Like them or hate them, one feature has been almost universally resented: The fact that updates are an automatic process with no user control. They just kind of happen while the buds are connected, and you can't do much to speed up the process. But according to a recent teardown, manual updates may soon be possible.

A teardown of the latest version of the Pixel Buds app, performed by 9to5Google earlier today, revealed a handful of new strings buried inside the app, which point to a manual update feature under development. It's early, and the particulars are always subject to change when it comes to teardowns, but the new feature could be as simple as a button you tap to trigger the update process for a pair of connected Pixel Buds.

Based on the details divined so far, the option will appear in the Settings app on Pixels, while other devices will get it in the Pixel Buds app itself. Error support via a notification is also present, indicating if the process runs into trouble.

So far, the feature isn't live yet. It isn't clear if that's because it hasn't rolled out, or if it's simply because the Pixel Buds haven't had an update since September. It looks like that whole "feature drop" thing for the buds didn't quite pan out — or Google hasn't stuck to the same sort of schedule it does for its quarterly Pixel feature drops.
    Sure do. I ordered on October 19th and received our A-series Pixel Buds (23rd) before we got our phones (27th). I like mine much better than the Samsung Buds+ I had before - mostly because the Buds+ kept falling out of my ears, and I don't think the software was as tightly integrated or smooth with my at the time Note 10+ as the Pixel Buds A-series are with the Pixels.

When did you order your P6P?