Manually install Project Treble?

Search This thread
G

GuestK00456

Since Project Treble isn't coming officially, isn't it possible to just partition the phone manually using an unlocked bootloader, custom recovery, and other such tools, to then make the phone repartitioned in a way that supports Treble?

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
I'm not a developer but repartitioning the phone would be very tricky as it might also brick your device. OnePlus said this in their post about Trebble. This is assuming you do it via an OTA update, plugging in the phone to a computer might decrease the risk of bricking.

Again, I'm not a developer and don't have a lot of experience so someone else more experienced might pitch in and give their thoughts about this.

Peketr

Jul 3, 2013
I think our biggest hope is that LineageOS will maybe support it. But one thing is sure. If you stay on OOS even if you repartition your phone will not use treble as the OS will not even try to do that. It will work the same regardless of the extra partition.

kgs1992

May 8, 2012
Bangalore
I may be wrong, but as far as I know, this is not really possible.

Getting project treble on your phone would imply that your firmware and OEM framework is compatible with this.
To give you an analogy, consider a PC running some version of Windows (since that's easier to explain). When a new version of windows is available, you don't have to upgrade firmware for your motherboard, your hard drive, sound card etc. This is because windows (or you yourself) will install the drivers necessary to communicate with your hardware.
This is possible because all OEMs subscribe to a certain contract.
Currently, Android ties in heavily to the device firmware, as the OEMs have to update their framework with each new iteration of Android. This is because until now, there was no exact contract defined for OEMs to subscribe to.
HAL and Treble are a step in the right direction to change this, but this cannot happen unless the OEMs rewrite the device framework to adhere to this new model or if someone invests their own time into doing so, if that is even possible.

Im not an Android developer, so I'm not right in all the points I've mentioned, but I've tried to clarify to the best of my own understanding.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I may be wrong, but as far as I know, this is not really possible.

Getting project treble on your phone would imply that your firmware and OEM framework is compatible with this.
    To give you an analogy, consider a PC running some version of Windows (since that's easier to explain). When a new version of windows is available, you don't have to upgrade firmware for your motherboard, your hard drive, sound card etc. This is because windows (or you yourself) will install the drivers necessary to communicate with your hardware.
    This is possible because all OEMs subscribe to a certain contract.
    Currently, Android ties in heavily to the device firmware, as the OEMs have to update their framework with each new iteration of Android. This is because until now, there was no exact contract defined for OEMs to subscribe to.
    HAL and Treble are a step in the right direction to change this, but this cannot happen unless the OEMs rewrite the device framework to adhere to this new model or if someone invests their own time into doing so, if that is even possible.

Im not an Android developer, so I'm not right in all the points I've mentioned, but I've tried to clarify to the best of my own understanding.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone